Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadow Complex

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
This game was released on Xbox Live Arcade today. It's certainly a contender for the best game released in years; and it's only £10. If you guys are able to, I highly recommend trying the demo.

It's a super-metroid-inspired platformer - reminds me of Flashback as well - where you explore the world and hunt down secrets and the levels slowly open up as you upgrade your equipment. Considering it uses the latest Unreal tech, has full voiceovers and the polish of a good big-budget title, it's hard to believe the price. If it counts for anything, the critics are loving it as well (Eurogamer's review).

An example of a cool thing I did in the game earlier today (minor spoilers): the plot starts with this girl you met in a bar the previous day being kidnapped. I accidentally pressed B next to my truck after I'd backtracked all the way there hunting for secrets and got a cutscene of my character driving away, saying 'Plenty more fish in the sea.' Then the credits rolled. Neat...

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Going to download this tomorrow. Looks to be a fucking awesome game, and I just love those side scroller action/adventure games like Metroid and Symphony of the Night.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
Splosion man got kind of frustrating for me around level 2-6. Shadow Complex is better, IMO...

But there's some real quality on Xbox Live now, often outclassing the pricier games on shop shelves.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Its about $15. Seems a bit expensive for a side scroller... but, the game does look promising.

Silellak

Cipher
Mr. Teatime said:
Splosion man got kind of frustrating for me around level 2-6. Shadow Complex is better, IMO...

But there's some real quality on Xbox Live now, often outclassing the pricier games on shop shelves.

Oh, I'm sure Shadow Complex is better, but I'm halfway through the third "world" of 'Splosion Man and want to see it through until the end before I start another XBLA game.

And yeah, for all the hate the 'CRAPBOX 360 LOLOL' gets on the Codex, XBLA really has some quality games. As you said, they're often far better than the boxed shit that sells for 4-6 times as much.

I just picked up a PS3 yesterday, finally, so I'm curious to see what PSN has to offer in that department as well. I've heard good things about Wipeout HD and some shit called Flower.

Turok

Erudite
Silellak said:
Turok said:
PS3 slim? or the fat?

Fat. Slim isn't out yet. I decided to go for the 160 gig after the $100 price cut.

All the fats support PS2 games? i hear slim dont support PS2 games, and other guy told me that the first fats support it but later remove, is that true?

Silellak

Cipher
Turok said:
Silellak said:
Turok said:
PS3 slim? or the fat?

Fat. Slim isn't out yet. I decided to go for the 160 gig after the $100 price cut.

All the fats support PS2 games? i hear slim dont support PS2 games, and other guy told me that the first fats support it but later remove, is that true?

True, sadly. I don't have many PS2 games anyway. My first PS2 died on me a year or two after purchase, and I never bothered to get it replaced.

It basically went like this:

First-run Fat PS3s: Full PS2 backwards compatability
Second-run Fat PS3s: Software-based PS2 backwards compatability. Only some games work
All other Fat PS3s: No backwards compatability
Slim PS3s: No backwards compatability

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
HAHHAHAHA GO BACK TO GAMESPOIT CONSOLE FAGS I BET YOU ARE THE KIND OF ASSHOL;ES WHO PLAYED ALPHA PROTOCOL AND LIKE IT. NICE THANKS FOR MAKING PC GAMING RETARD CONSOLETARDS!!!!!1111

Castanova

Prophet
Picked up the game tonight but only played for about an hour. Cool game so far but so far it doesn't grab me nearly to the same level Symphony of the Night did. Perhaps partly because the RPG-like mechanics are less here. Also, the game has some very console-tard-like features including the equivalent of a quest compass (although you can disable it) and the auto-map lets you know when there are "secrets" nearby. Minor issues overall, though, since the platform shooter gameplay is quite fun. Worth $15 for sure.

Multi-headed Cow

You level up in this, it should be in RPG discussion.

Multi-headed Cow

Mr. Teatime said:
An example of a cool thing I did in the game earlier today (minor spoilers): the plot starts with this girl you met in a bar the previous day being kidnapped. I accidentally pressed B next to my truck after I'd backtracked all the way there hunting for secrets and got a cutscene of my character driving away, saying 'Plenty more fish in the sea.' Then the credits rolled. Neat...
And choices and consequences.

DriacKin

Arbiter
I just downloaded the demo from Xbox live.
It seemed pretty fun. I'm considering buying the full version

Multi-headed Cow

Bought it. Having fun. The story and dialog is retarded as all hell, but it's "Enjoyable" bad, instead of bad bad. The combat is easy but entertaining, and the exploring's quite nice, and it's very pretty.

Bought some MS points ages ago at 40% off, and this seems well worth $9. Hell, even seems worth the $15 full price they're asking for it. I hear it's pretty short, but it looks like it'll be fun to replay, especially if I get into it so much I want to try doing some of their speed run challenges.

THUS FAR GOOD GAME.

fastpunk

Arbiter
I kept an eye on this one since it was announced earlier this year. But since I don't have an Xbox it was more out of shallow curiosity than genuine desire to play it. But now that it's coming to the PC... Anyone have any idea when that will be?

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
The story sounds so retarded as to be directly insulting. OMG THOSE LIBERALS HAET AMERICA SO MUCH TEHY MAEK THIR OWN ARMEEE! OMG LIBRAL GAYLORDZ!

...Although playing it and dramatically snarling "ooooh, take THAT, liberal scum!" and "Bet you're hoping you had some SOCIALIZED MEDICINE right now!" is kind of appealingly funny in a very weird way.

All that aside, and even aside from the fact that it seems to tell you where to go instead of letting you figure it out, it does look pretty, seems to play fluidly, and is so much like Super Metroid that it's like they done stole its DNA and made some weird fusion of it and Unreal - probably something that in a sci-fi movie would look and act superior to humans but secretly have massive psychological problems. Anyhow.

Seriously considering buying it. Talk me into it/out of it. Looking at my MS points and chewing it over in my brainspace.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Annie Carlson said:
The story sounds so retarded as to be directly insulting. OMG THOSE LIBERALS HAET AMERICA SO MUCH TEHY MAEK THIR OWN ARMEEE! OMG LIBRAL GAYLORDZ!

...Although playing it and dramatically snarling "ooooh, take THAT, liberal scum!" and "Bet you're hoping you had some SOCIALIZED MEDICINE right now!" is kind of appealingly funny in a very weird way.

All that aside, and even aside from the fact that it seems to tell you where to go instead of letting you figure it out, it does look pretty, seems to play fluidly, and is so much like Super Metroid that it's like they done stole its DNA and made some weird fusion of it and Unreal - probably something that in a sci-fi movie would look and act superior to humans but secretly have massive psychological problems. Anyhow.

Seriously considering buying it. Talk me into it/out of it. Looking at my MS points and chewing it over in my brainspace.

Yeah, as much as I love Ender's Game, I've always believed Orson Card to be a huge shitpiece. Still, if you think about it, the plot has always been secondary to gameplay in this type of game. I say go for it. I'd buy it myself if I hadn't voided the warranty on my 360 while on a three year vodka binge. At the very least you'll see some first rate level design. :cool:

Multi-headed Cow

Annie Carlson said:
All that aside, and even aside from the fact that it seems to tell you where to go instead of letting you figure it out
It's worth noting that while you get a blue line on the map pointing you toward the next objective, you can disable it.
It's also worth noting that the game's linear enough for the main story that advancing even without the line is pretty straightforward anyway, but what the hell.

Played more. Got a jetpack (Doublejump), still having fun. Combat's getting a bit more difficult, running into some beefier enemies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom