Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew - ghost pirates stealth strategy from Mimimi Games

Norfleet

Yeah. Mimimi could have called it the Astral Pearl or the Hell Diamond or the Spooky Stone. As is I'm sure there's at least one lawyer at Disney who will try to impress their boss by saying "Hey maybe we can screw this little game company"
Sure, but do you think pirates know words like "Astral"? And Hell Diamond is vague and Spooky Stone sounds too childish. So it's a pearl, which is a very piratey kind of stone-thing, and it's black, which makes it special, I guess.

CoronerZg

Augur
Well, gameplay still looks fun and for the SJW part, if this time around we can choose the full crew for every missions and if at least 50% of the characters are not retarded, it's fine by me.
I'm thinking something like Mercury, Virgilio, Presswald and Quentin. The visuals are a bit... unfortunate, true, but if it can work in Gloomhaven, it can work here as well.
I'll gladly take good gameplay with meh visuals over eye candy with shit gameplay we get these days.

SG_key_art_char_names.png

Child of Malkav

Erudite
My point exactly. Gameplay > everything else. It's woke? Fine, don't buy it. Can still play it. Who else makes this style of games anymore? These guys (Mimimi studios or whatever) happen to like these games and are making similar, dumbed down ones. Meh. Even more so: they seem to catch on to the public and become more popular meaning an increased chance to see more games like these.

Victor1234

Educated
My point exactly. Gameplay > everything else. It's woke? Fine, don't buy it. Can still play it. Who else makes this style of games anymore? These guys (Mimimi studios or whatever) happen to like these games and are making similar, dumbed down ones. Meh. Even more so: they seem to catch on to the public and become more popular meaning an increased chance to see more games like these.
Partisans 1941, Serial Cleaners and War Mongrels say hi. These dudes don't have a monopoly on the genre.

DemonKing

Arcane
It's too bad Mimimi are Krauts and have said they're not interested in doing a WW2 themed game.

Sadly that means the next Commandos game Kaypso are working on will most likely be excrement (especially if they're using the Commandos 2 & 3 remaster devs).

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Partisans 1941, Serial Cleaners and War Mongrels
Only played partisans out of those 3. Haven't even heard of the other ones. Are they good?
Anyway, so far this studio is already on the 3rd game of this kind. I didn't know about other developers, just that these guys seem to be doing pretty well with this so far and I see them having the most success going forward.
Whatever, at least we have some selection of games to choose from.

Victor1234

Educated
Partisans 1941, Serial Cleaners and War Mongrels
Only played partisans out of those 3. Haven't even heard of the other ones. Are they good?
Anyway, so far this studio is already on the 3rd game of this kind. I didn't know about other developers, just that these guys seem to be doing pretty well with this so far and I see them having the most success going forward.
Whatever, at least we have some selection of games to choose from.

I haven't played Serial Cleaners but it's got solid ratings on Steam, War Mongrels got shit reviews because of setting/story, except in Poland where it was highly praised (TLDR, Soviets are as bad as Nazis...) and the usual buggy release at launch, but it's pretty well cleaned up now.

I like that it has the old vision mechanics from Commandos where enemies don't see you a bit closer in if you're prone. Partisans 1941 and Desperados 3 have one FOV regardless of whether you were prone or standing, which felt a bit weak. Also Mongrels has coop, which is nice.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Partisans 1941 and Desperados 3 have one FOV regardless of whether you were prone or standing, which felt a bit weak.
Fake news. Desperados 3 has two FOV ranges: see you no matter what (if close and not in cover) and see you only if not sneaking (if in cover or far away).

Victor1234

Educated
Partisans 1941 and Desperados 3 have one FOV regardless of whether you were prone or standing, which felt a bit weak.
Fake news. Desperados 3 has two FOV ranges: see you no matter what (if close and not in cover) and see you only if not sneaking (if in cover or far away).
You're right. I miswrote. You can't go prone in Desperados 3 like you could in the original Desperados, it was replaced with crouching but there are 2 FOV ranges.

Norfleet

It's too bad Mimimi are Krauts and have said they're not interested in doing a WW2 themed game.
I can't blame them. Aren't you sick and tired of WW2-themed games yet?

Sadly that means the next Commandos game Kaypso are working on will most likely be excrement (especially if they're using the Commandos 2 & 3 remaster devs).
Well, there ARE other wars. We could get a Korea or Vietnam-themed Commandos game.

DemonKing

Arcane
I can't blame them. Aren't you sick and tired of WW2-themed games yet?
Nope - I love WW2 themed games. I even have a collection of different WW2 era tactical boardgames.

The amount and variety of hardware available, battlefield environments and different nations involved means there's always plenty of variety to mine in game terms.

Norfleet

The amount and variety of hardware available, battlefield environments and different nations involved means there's always plenty of variety to mine in game terms.
And yet relatively little of that ever actually gets mined. It's more that Nazis form an unambiguous enemy that people are unlikely to stick up for, and thus no matter how many of them you kill, nobody will complain. That's why it's nearly always European theater. You rarely see games set in, say, the Pacific campaign (and if it is, it's always the American one, where's the Battle of Singapore?), or the Eastern front (sure, they exist, but are FAR less common).

DemonKing

Arcane
And yet relatively little of that ever actually gets mined. It's more that Nazis form an unambiguous enemy that people are unlikely to stick up for, and thus no matter how many of them you kill, nobody will complain. That's why it's nearly always European theater. You rarely see games set in, say, the Pacific campaign (and if it is, it's always the American one, where's the Battle of Singapore?), or the Eastern front (sure, they exist, but are FAR less common).
Commandos have gone to the Eastern and Pacific fronts before, so no reason they couldn't go again. Also the Commandos themselves tend to be pretty diverse with Irish, English, US, Australian, Dutch and French members in the original games, so it's not like the games have ever been just the USA beating down Nazis.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Mo, Head of Design, and Kraut, Communications Lead, answer your questions while discussing the announcement trailers and some pre-recorded alpha gameplay footage of our new Stealth Strategy game Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Take a look behind the scenes of our Cinematic Reveal Trailer for Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew in this side by side "making of" comparison video. ☠️

Trailer director Régis Raffin and we had a lot of fun creating the storyboard, animatic and 3D previsualization for the reveal trailer together. And we hope you had just as much fun watching the trailer!

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
For those looking for a less cartoony, more down-to-earth pirate stealth tactics game, Christmas just came early*. Check out Frigato: Shadows of the Caribbean (thread here).

*Actually game is apparently in early dev, they are hositng a Kickstarter in a couple weeks, but the release date is supposed to be this year.

EDIT: Note i found out about this on Mimimi's Facebook page, so cool to see them supporting a competitor.

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
The unusual setting is cool, magic and all. Shadow Tactics and Desperados are great but this is the kind of formula that you could make work in just about any setting, and there's no reason to constrain it to real-world historical settings. I always thought it'd be cool to have a steampunk one since there's so many potential gadgets and other weird shit that could form the basis for the hero abilities, but supernatural pirates works fine too.

:d1p:

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Take a peek behind the development of Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew and get a first look at the playable character Toya, the assassin and ship cook of the cursed crew.

00:00 What is Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew
00:31 The Vision
01:02 Enhancing Player Freedom
01:53 Embracing Magic
02:24 Introducing New Character: Toya - The Assassin Cook
03:04 Wishlist Now!

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Their constant talking about how adding magic finally allows them to be creative with characters' abilities baffles me.

"We are not constrained by boring things like realism anymore"

Did they hit their heads and forget everything about their last game? I guess it's just a marketing strategy like any other, but it's still cringey.

Apart from that, I don't really know how I feel about being able to always select your party members for each mission. Having to deal with restriction on which abilities you can use is a big part of what I enjoy in these games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom