Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun which I want to see

Max Edge

That's interesting. Commercial looks like '80 italian exploitation movies (Joe D'Amato and Umberto Lenzi vibes). Really, i like it. Now we have only "Rag'n'Bone Man" in generic EA commercials and this kind boring shit. "These day kids..."

Description:

"FASA's 1990 promo video for their Shadowrun RPG. Thrill to the production values! Soak up the 80's ambiance! This is not my rip, but I do own a copy of the video in question. Since FASA is - sadly - no more, and since this was rarely seen outside GenCon 1990 and the game's press kit, I thought I'd do my part in archiving a bit of gaming history before the tapes die of bitrot."

Alkarl

Learned
That was pretty entertaining. Idk why they brought that big muscley bastard, all he wanted to do was shoot his gun and flex a little!

Looks great though. I'd be happy with something closer to the Genesis version, all of the HBS games make me feel like I'm playing any other crpg on the market, but that genesis version actually made me feel like I was a Shadowrunner. Maybe it has to do with how linear the new games are, or how they confine you to a hub between missions. Idk, just my opinion.

Max Edge

That was pretty entertaining. Idk why they brought that big muscley bastard, all he wanted to do was shoot his gun and flex a little!

Looks great though. I'd be happy with something closer to the Genesis version, all of the HBS games make me feel like I'm playing any other crpg on the market, but that genesis version actually made me feel like I was a Shadowrunner. Maybe it has to do with how linear the new games are, or how they confine you to a hub between missions. Idk, just my opinion.

HBS never really fell Shadowrun. They just made millennial variation on theme. Sad to say that, but some things should stay in own time.

Alkarl

Learned

HBS never really fell Shadowrun. They just made millennial variation on theme. Sad to say that, but some things should stay in own time.

I think they could modernize the setting, and that would be alright, but I do agree that Shadowrun has always kind of given me this 80's grunge/glam vibe.

I'd just like to see a less linear title that doesn't play like every other title on the market. Start off as a lone wolf, find a Mr. Johnson to get some jobs, and hire on more crew as your funds and resources increase.

Max Edge

I think they could modernize the setting, and that would be alright, but I do agree that Shadowrun has always kind of given me this 80's grunge/glam vibe.

Not always "modernisation" is something good.For me, this setting is like medieval castle. Modern changes make it inauthentic.

I'd just like to see a less linear title that doesn't play like every other title on the market. Start off as a lone wolf, find a Mr. Johnson to get some jobs, and hire on more crew as your funds and resources increase.

You know, in "these days" Avellone was forced to reduce swearing and complexion his characters in PoE. And don't forget about "virtue signaling".

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
I'd be happy with something closer to the Genesis version, all of the HBS games make me feel like I'm playing any other crpg on the market, but that genesis version actually made me feel like I was a Shadowrunner.

Agree. Played through Genesis version few times - the atmosphere is superb. New Shadowruns are too jolly.

Max Edge

I'd be happy with something closer to the Genesis version, all of the HBS games make me feel like I'm playing any other crpg on the market, but that genesis version actually made me feel like I was a Shadowrunner.

Agree. Played through Genesis version few times - the atmosphere is superb. New Shadowruns are too jolly.

Too Tumbrl.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I did enjoy the Shadowrun Returns games with Dragonfall as the personal high point for me, but the Genesis version will always be my favourite. It's one of the most entertaining, replayable games. Even just going into the Matrix and stealing data to sell was hypnotically entertaining. I also really loved the random events you'd get when wandering around and how they could lead to immediate trouble or help (IIRC, there's a rare encounter where a tribe of natives helps guide you through a long as fuck cave to the area you're supposed to go instantly).

The one problem is how it feels like you can powerdunk the shit out of the game after a good couple hours with the only remaining challenge being Renraku strike teams or hellhounds. In the beginning vampires and ghouls devour you in seconds, then you pick up an Ares Predator and proceed to make them go extinct. There's also a couple useless Johnsons, notably the mid-level ones and I'm pretty sure there were bugs with which gang you affiliated with still attacking you making any money you spent wasted. But fuck it, that sick soundtrack and dark atmosphere made it all worthwhile.

Has anyone ever managed to get a translated version of the Sega CD Shadowrun game that was Japan only? I always wondered how it was in comparison.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom