Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

My only concern for now is if the geam is not too open-worldish.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
6sYfePt.jpg

rdwB36K.png
~ SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI: MAHOU SHOUJO NAHOBINO ~
rdwB36K.png
I wish they really did just go mahou shoujo instead of mahou bishonen

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Live Stream showing new Gameplay and the first time in the Cathedral of Shadows. Instead of Mido , it's Sophia.

unknown.png

Sophia's intro

Over 200 Demons Confirmed for the game.
From left to right: 1. Angel 2. Daimon 3. Jack Frost 4. Amanozako 5. Fionn mac Cumhaill
E4ABL48VcAQAobm

Last edited:

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Save points like Nocturne and Strange journey , Healing point , Fusion , etc.

unknown.png

Fusion Menu
unknown.png

unknown.png

Demon have Magatushi Moves
unknown.png

It seems buffs and debuff are now single target and only last 3 turns.

unknown.png

unknown.png

Hama and Mudo deal Damage, not Insta Skill
unknown.png

Hobo Elf

Arcane
SMT4A changed Hama and Mudo into damage spells that have a chance to insta kill if you have the Smirk status. Apparently SMT5 doesn't have Smirking so I dunno how it'll work here.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
SMT4A changed Hama and Mudo into damage spells that have a chance to insta kill if you have the Smirk status. Apparently SMT5 doesn't have Smirking so I dunno how it'll work here.

Perhaps it's going to be like Persona 5, you had Light and Dark spell that did Damage and others that Insta Killed.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Hama and Mudo deal Damage, not Insta Skill

I think it's both. Watch the battle with the demons. Angel attacks an unharmed demon, deals 66 damage and kills him. Later in combat it's revealed that their max HP is 78. After that angel hits another demon for 66 damage and he stays alive. I guess it's damage + insta kill chance.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
Live Stream showing new Gameplay and the first time in the Cathedral of Shadows. Instead of Mido , it's Sophia.

unknown.png

Sophia's intro

Over 200 Demons Confirmed for the game.
From left to right: 1. Angel 2. Daimon 3. Jack Frost 4. Amanozako 5. Fionn mac Cumhaill
E4ABL48VcAQAobm

They replaced Kaneko's angel? Shit keeps gertting worse

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I need the soundtrack of the PV01 trailer (01:09 - 02:05) so badly.

That's exactly the melancholic shit I want from a SMT game.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Save points like Nocturne and Strange journey

This is insanely good, after IV and IVa having save anywhere I would have never even hoped for a classical savepoint return.

This could be awfull or a positive change, depending on implementation. If buffs get aoe versions later, with high level single target buffs raising stats by multiple stages at once this is pure incline. Imagine Luster Candy as buff all stats by +1 for the entire party, and Heat Riser as buff all stats to max for a single target. However if they have cut aoe buffs in order to make the game more Persona like this could be a dealbreaker, even worse than reduced dungeons.

I still kinda miss Smirk since it felt so good in Apocalypse. I hope one day we'll get an SMT game with all the combat gimmicks: elemental status effects + press-turn + smirk + demon co-op. Might be a bit of a clusterfuck though.
As for the newest gimmick, the Magatsuhi I hope that other demons than the MC will have attacks that use it up. I'm playing Project X Zone now, which has one special meter that is shared between all characters. Having to decide which is supposed to use the special ability is actually really fun. If it's just the MC then it's just another Limit Break that you either use the minute it's charged or buff the MC and then use.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Save points like Nocturne and Strange journey

This is insanely good, after IV and IVa having save anywhere I would have never even hoped for a classical savepoint return.

This could be awfull or a positive change, depending on implementation. If buffs get aoe versions later, with high level single target buffs raising stats by multiple stages at once this is pure incline. Imagine Luster Candy as buff all stats by +1 for the entire party, and Heat Riser as buff all stats to max for a single target. However if they have cut aoe buffs in order to make the game more Persona like this could be a dealbreaker, even worse than reduced dungeons.
I think buffs not lasting an entire fight is a good thing, if the boss didn't have some sort of dekaja the fight was easy as fuck, that's why the last quarter of Apocalypse is so fun.

I still kinda miss Smirk since it felt so good in Apocalypse. I hope one day we'll get an SMT game with all the combat gimmicks: elemental status effects + press-turn + smirk + demon co-op. Might be a bit of a clusterfuck though.
As for the newest gimmick, the Magatsuhi I hope that other demons than the MC will have attacks that use it up. I'm playing Project X Zone now, which has one special meter that is shared between all characters. Having to decide which is supposed to use the special ability is actually really fun. If it's just the MC then it's just another Limit Break that you either use the minute it's charged or buff the MC and then use.
Smirk is hit and miss, SMT IV is easily broken by it but i think Apocalypse managed to balance it perfectly.

Not only just similar layouts, they re-used much of icons and things.

This is dumb. The UI literally looks totally different outside of some superficial things like your party being on the right side of the screen. The top pictures they're trying to use to make their point don't even have skills in the same place on the screen; (other than being on the left) and in this game that stuff is always in the same position on the left hand side of the screen where in TMS it's on a wheel in the bottom middle of the screen.

I don't really see any problem with them using the same easy to read element icons as before. I'm not sure the one font choice that looks similar is the exact same font, but I don't know it might be, but it also looks like it might be a variation. HP and MP bars look very similar, but they're also a different font with different style numbers...also the MP in TMS is EP. (The letters and numbers both have flat edges on top of things that would normally be round)

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
Whether they reused the UI or not is irrelvant because both UIs are abominations. Take up >40% of the fucking screen space for no reason. Why can't both party members and commands just be on the bottom of the screen? Why try to reinvent the wheel? Or if you're gonna try to copy something, at least copy Persona 5's battle UI concept since that was pretty good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom