Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I have to admit, I both cringed and chuckled at this advert.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Good lord what a mess. Seems like the game is being aimed at the 4Kids TV audience. I feel secondhand embarrassment for whoever the poor bastard was who talked in that video.

Siveon

Bot
I'll just play it used. I like using the original hardware.

It flopped in Japan, so it should get cheap here.

Siveon

Bot
You deserve all the censoreship you can get for supporting this shit.
Used. If I buy it on the cheap from some random eBay buyer/Amazon retailer for $5-20 bucks in 3 or so years from now I'm not exactly supporting the game. :roll:

Though it'd be much easier if someone figures out how to crack open a Wii-U like a 3DS or an old PSP.

People are getting closer to modding the Wii U, I think. They're pumping out Smash Bros. mods and skins somehow, at least.

grudgebringer

It's kinda silly to think that if you don't buy the game then you directly sending a message to Atlus that their localization efforts gone wrong.

If you don't buy it and a lot of people don't buy it too and it somehow flops on sales then I think the most probable thing they would think is that there's no market for a big turn-based RPGs yet or it's too niche or whatever. The result will be that they won't make such efforts again to bring this over and that's all.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I think the most probable thing they would think is that there's no market for a big turn-based RPGs yet or it's too niche or whatever.

Almost every big single jrpg game released in the last decade has been turn based.(pokemon,dragon quest,persona,etc)
Hell even fire emblem is selling well,and all they added was waifus.
This game had both the waifu and weeaboo pandering elements and still failed miserably in Japan.

Martius

Liturgist
Most of that is on handhelds. If anything it may convince Nintendo not to try it again on home console.

Kaivokz

Arcane
If it failed miserably in Japan, where it wasn't censored, then it failing miserably in the English speaking world probably won't be seen as a censorship issue. It being a failure is conditional on their expectations and budget, though. It seems like it sold ~30k copies in the first few weeks. Not a resounding success, but maybe enough for a double niche game with overall pretty lame marketing.

Anyway, kinda bummed by how this turned out. Woulda been happy with SMT + FE or a Persona + FE SRPG. Even this one seemed to have potential in the leveling up/skill mechanics from FE crossed with the Pokemo--I mean demons--from Persona.

I might still buy it if I have time, but if I feel like sinking hours into a JRPG, I'll probably just wait for Integrity and Faithlessness or Persona 5. Or maybe the new Tales game, or even that road trip bro-mance action RPG.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If it failed miserably in Japan, where it wasn't censored, then it failing miserably in the English speaking world probably won't be seen as a censorship issue. It being a failure is conditional on their expectations and budget, though. It seems like it sold ~30k copies in the first few weeks. Not a resounding success, but maybe enough for a double niche game with overall pretty lame marketing.

Anyway, kinda bummed by how this turned out. Woulda been happy with SMT + FE or a Persona + FE SRPG. Even this one seemed to have potential in the leveling up/skill mechanics from FE crossed with the Pokemo--I mean demons--from Persona.

I might still buy it if I have time, but if I feel like sinking hours into a JRPG, I'll probably just wait for Integrity and Faithlessness or Persona 5. Or maybe the new Tales game, or even that road trip bro-mance action RPG.

Probably all of those would be better options.

As for me, I need to expand my Wii U library to justify buying the console. I'm not going to be in a hurry, though.

Malpercio

Arcane
It's kinda silly to think that if you don't buy the game then you directly sending a message to Atlus that their localization efforts gone wrong.

If you don't buy it and a lot of people don't buy it too and it somehow flops on sales then I think the most probable thing they would think is that there's no market for a big turn-based RPGs yet or it's too niche or whatever. The result will be that they won't make such efforts again to bring this over and that's all.

Persona 5 will sell launch this year and sell bucket. SMT5 will most likely be after it, using the engine they created.

Atlus have been doing this for years. They are not completely obvious.

This didn't sell because it's a piece of shit that doesn't appeal to either FE fans or SMT fans. Maybe Neptunia fans would buy it, but it's not on PS3 and the girls don't look underage enough.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Atlus MO has been turn-based RPGs and they've carved out a pretty profitable nich post-Persona 3.

I doubt the message they're going to take away from SMTxFE bombing is "Turn-based games aren't profitable" - it's fairly obvious they've probably prepared themselves for a loss anyway for the English version.

I have some hopes for this game, there's some upgraded Persona combat system (turn based) + fusions, if it has a balanced gameplay and (unlike every persona except the first one) interesting dungeon, I'm into it. New SMT relatad stuff is rare these days -only Persona 5, SMT:Apocalypse in June, this one and maybe SMTV in 2-3 years...

I wonder why there's still no Devil Survivor 3 on 3DS.

Last edited:

---

Arcane
How is Devil Survivor? Never played a SMT before (though I tried Persona 3/4 - not very impressed) :M

Martius

Liturgist
Personally I think both games are pretty good (at least 3ds version, never played original ones on ds). Devil Survivor focuses on tactical battles with all typical things for SMT like demons, fusions, elemental weakness and so on.

Excellent mixture of srpg, SMT fusion / combat system and visual novel with LOTS of C&C.

Don't get deceived by innocent look, both DeSus are pretty dark, especially the first one.

---

Arcane
Well, then I'll wait that their prices will be cut (I know, Nintendo takes ages to lower prices on the eShop :negative:)

Martius

Liturgist
Actually in USA first one is on sale pretty often thank to Atlus USA. In Europe not so much since it was published Ghostlight. Second was done by NISA so I wonder if it will even stay on eshop since company decided to slash prices of some Atlus 3ds game from 50 to 75%.

Martius

Liturgist
Welcome to the club! As extra bonus something went wrong during European localization, for example making switching demons impossible. If you will get first Devil Survivor there is patch to download.

grudgebringer

... and all local shops are selling Limited Editions only with no options for standard box. And even those LE's are completely sold out by pre-orders. :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom