Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Should i play Witcher?

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Hell, ricolikesrice, you really are a nazi. And a shit-loving one, for that matter.

You know what? I give up. I can't really argue with your point when your only arguments are lowly ad-hominem. You win and TW is not really an RPG, though it's been produced and recgonised as one. Congratulations. Your parents must be very proud of you.

retardprize.jpg

visions

Arcane
barker_s said:
Hell, ricolikesrice, you really are a nazi. And a shit-loving one, for that matter.

You know what? I give up. I can't really argue with your point when your only arguments are lowly ad-hominem. You win and TW is not really an RPG, though it's been produced and recgonised as one. Congratulations. Your parents must be very proud of you.

retardprize.jpg

Absolutely no ad-hominems here :lol:

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Hey, I gave him pretty solid arguments to consider and he responded with "nourafag". What, do you expect me to give him a pat on the back :P ?

made

Arcane
Gee guys, I still can't make up my mind if it's an RPG or not. If only someone would make a poll about it on the RPG Codex magazine then we could finally settle this pressing matter once and for all.

Antihero

Liturgist
You could just not respond further (after letting him know he can declare himself the winner for all you care, in the most gentlemanly manner possible, all while wearing your best monocle). If an attempt at rational argument is pointless, an internet meme won't be any more convincing.

I think the real question is whether the definition of an RPG still stands up to The Witcher and not the other way around. :M

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
barker_s said:
Hey, I gave him pretty solid arguments to consider and he responded with "nourafag". What, do you expect me to give him a pat on the back :P ?

Which arguments exactly? "If Witcher isn't a CRPG, then PS:T may not be one"? "Evolution" of RPGs? Last time I checked, evolution doesn't work by dumbing down (as in the case of the Witcher's character and combat system, as well as zero interaction between the character system and the setting / story). Unlike the Twitcher, PS:T has a character system, where stats influence gameplay and gameplay influences stats. The twitcher has no stats, with simplistic character progression (characteristic action game character progression) consisting of "+10% to damage", and it's combat is a complete twitchfest. Its only RPG element is existence of an elaborate setting and a story, and that, by itself, is not much.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
I hate repeating myself, but since you read everything BUT the arguments. I said TW has:

barker_s said:
- levelling and XP system
- dialogue system
- a focus on story and characters with some c&c thrown in
- the main questline and some non-mandatory sub-quests
- character's efficience in combat dependant on his attributes/skills

And then I said the modern RPG's focus on those features. TW, according to those, can be clearly qualified as an RPG. Rico's arguments on the other hand were: "those are not enough", "those features suck", "rpg's of old were different", "you're a fag". You could sum it all up in "it's not an rpg because I don't like it".

janjetina said:
Last time I checked, evolution doesn't work by dumbing down

Sorry to crush your dreams, but evolution indeed might work by dumbing down. Evolutionary success means that you manage to pass your genes to the future generations and make your features the dominant ones in the population. In video-game terms it's reflected by the amount of sold copies and game's popularity. Now check which games have been best sellers in the past 5 years and weep. Evolution's a bitch :smug: .

Phelot

Arcane
barker_s said:
Sorry to crush your dreams, but evolution indeed might work by dumbing down. Evolutionary success means that you manage to pass your genes to the future generations and make your features the dominant ones in the population. In video-game terms it's reflected by the amount of sold copies and game's popularity. Now check which games have been best sellers in the past 5 years and weep. Evolution's a bitch :smug: .

What are you smug about? That horrible games are now the norm?

Anyways, using evolution as a metaphor doesn't really work anyway, but I get what you're saying.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
We've had plenty of "what is RPG" topics, so you can refer to them for more in-depth explanation why TW's character system and its progression is inadequate for it to be a CRPG (as is, for example the character and progression system in System Shock 2). Dialogue system, story focus, and even some C&C - take a look at Indiana Jones and Fate of Atlantis LP, or even better, play it yourself if you haven't already, it is one of the best games in any genre, quests are artificial constructs - there are many shooters / RTS / TBS games with a few quests / missions along the main plotline and optional missions. Character's efficiency in combat depends on his attributes in shooters like SS2, and in action games like Diablo, etc.

barker_s said:

Actually, it's the profit for shareholders that counts and games like Fallout were (and are - they still make some money from GOG sales etc.) profitable. I wonder if zillion dollar budget games like Arse Protocol net profit or loss for the company. You can sell a million copies of a game for $50 a pop, but it doesn't amount to success if your development and publishing costs are $50 million. Shareholders won't be happy. Anyway, EA operates at a net loss (at least I read it here) and shareholders are probably not too happy with the situation.

Stalin

Scholar
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Guys can we please come to a decision on what constrictive genre label to shoehorn this game into??? I need to know before I decide whether I enjoy it or not
Homoerotic quest for pixellated tits

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Guys can we please come to a decision on what constrictive genre label to shoehorn this game into??? I need to know before I decide whether I enjoy it or not

Action puzzle family game?

On a more serious note, it seems it really is all about the titties. A thread I ran into today on bitgamer:
Hi all.
I'm wondering where I could get ahold of the UK uncensored version of the game "The Witcher".

The US version is censored and haz no tittays, which = no good for me.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
We've had plenty of "what is RPG" topics, so you can refer to them for more in-depth explanation why TW's character system and its progression is inadequate for it to be a CRPG (as is, for example the character and progression system in System Shock 2). Dialogue system, story focus, and even some C&C - take a look at Indiana Jones and Fate of Atlantis LP, or even better, play it yourself if you haven't already, it is one of the best games in any genre, quests are artificial constructs - there are many shooters / RTS / TBS games with a few quests / missions along the main plotline and optional missions. Character's efficiency in combat depends on his attributes in shooters like SS2, and in action games like Diablo, etc.

this.

HURR DURR. except that i wrote that i enjoyed the witcher in my very first post in this thread. maybe fucking read before trying to play smartass ? but yeah, what do those constrictive genre labels matter anyhow, lets just call this place videogame codex , k ?

ricolikesrice

Arcane
barker_s said:
Hey, I gave him pretty solid arguments to consider

huh ? where ? mentioning that you can gain xp and lvl up in TW ?

btw that picture is so fuckin old and that "you win teh internet lolz" so embarrassing that i was feeling shame as if i had posted it, nice job there. :(

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
ricolikesrice said:

HURR DURR. except that i wrote that i enjoyed the witcher in my very first post in this thread. maybe fucking read before trying to play smartass ? but yeah, what do those constrictive genre labels matter anyhow, lets just call this place videogame codex , k ?

Yes, I was certainly claiming you dislike the game, as well targeting you in particular and not just everyone who feels the need to argue for pages on end about whether a game fits a hazy definition that none of them can agree on anyway instead of whether the game is actually good. Couldn't be that I actually happen to agree with your views here and just find pointless pedantry from all sides boring. You sure got me, do carry on

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
janjetina said:
Actually, it's the profit for shareholders that counts

Sold copies + popularity = profit!

phelot said:
Anyways, using evolution as a metaphor doesn't really work anyway, but I get what you're saying.

I think the metaphor is pretty adequate. Think about it. A certain game is released. It's a huge success, so it gets a sequel and probably a bunch of copycats trying imitate its best characteristics (remeber shitload of RTS clones after Dune and then Command & Conquer's been released?). They also try to improve the graphics or add new features, which, just like in nature, sometimes is a success and sometimes a failure.

TL;DR version of this analogy: games = species, features + pre-release hype = genes, customers = environment.

ricolikesrice said:
btw that picture is so fuckin old and that "you win teh internet lolz" so embarrassing that i was feeling shame as if i had posted it, nice job there. :(

Making you sad almost made me sad :( .

Seriously though, Bumface's right. That discussion was pointless and boring. Sorry for throwing shit at ya back then, it was uncalled for. But don't get me wrong, I still think you're a horrible person :P .

Turjan

Arcane
janjetina said:
We've had plenty of "what is RPG" topics, so you can refer to them for more in-depth explanation why TW's character system and its progression is inadequate for it to be a CRPG (as is, for example the character and progression system in System Shock 2).
It's still a very subjective RPG definition you use there and in no way definite. I don't think anybody claims that TW's RPG mechanics are the pinnacle of the genre, and it has never been called anything but an "action RPG" (at least on RPG boards).

Yes, your character choices are a bit limited. You have to decide which sword styles to favor and pick which magic styles to develop. The choice regarding sword styles is somewhat weak, as you are more or less forced to have all of them to some degree. The magic choice is strong, as you have to fully develop specific styles and must leave others behind to be effective. Then there are options to pursue a career as tavern brawler, a heavy drinker or some alchemy-related stuff, but those are weak choices again.

While this character system is rather simple and definitely flawed, it's still an RPG advancement system. Given the modern definition of RPG (end 90's to today), the game fits the genre. A comparison to Gold Box games isn't really helpful.

But to get back to the question, it depends on what you want from your RPG in order to know whether you would want to play it. If you play RPG's mostly because of tactical fights or because you are into playing sneaky types or powerful mages, go look somewhere else. If you are okay with playing a fighter-mage that dabbles in alchemy and want to experience an interesting world and story, then this game might be up your alley.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
nobody s denying that TW has RPG elements, the points been simply that if a game has elements of XY, it necessarily isnt XY.

i cant offer foolproof definitions but i d say common sense should dictate that a game is of the genre it has the MOST elements from, not only a few.

pointless pedantry ? guilty as charged i guess. But if you look at the games industry of 2010 where it sure feels like every new game in production is a corridor shooter i dont think anyone should stop being pedantic about genre-borders being erroded - not like it matters as unfortunately its of course pointless because the guys making those games dont give a fuck about what we think , but hey, we still keep discussing politics, economy and all other kind of crap we cant change on the internet, not sure why, but we do ;) i think its being called passionate about your hobby (or having a slow day at/on the way to work)

visions

Arcane
barker_s said:
Sorry to crush your dreams, but evolution indeed might work by dumbing down.

My old biology/chemistry teacher from high school would probably approve this comment.

DraQ

Arcane
Witcher is very good. The only bad things about it are barely interactive combat, and lack of relationship between statistics and C&C, though the latter is somewhat understandable given that Geralt happens to be pretty well defined character from the beginning, so there wouldn't be much place for, for example, retarded or chaotic stupid dialogue options.

Also, I've heard that translation is somewhat shit - I have only experienced the original, Polish version (and I'm very :smug: about it).

1eyedking

Erudite
One of the most immersive games out there, for sure. Very intelligent in its own way™, too.

It's hardly a proper game, though, it's more of an interactive movie (kinda like PS:T), but it's a great experience nonetheless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom