Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Should i play Witcher?

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
ricolikesrice said:
just like most of the modern mainstream you hate so much...

Nice straw man. And where did I write that I hate mainstream? But that's not really the point.

ricolikesrice said:
The RPGs of old werent - their focus was on character creation, exploration, development, progression, tactics, encounter design, loot. things that even the worst fanboys tend to agree were pretty bad in TW which focused on dialogue and storytelling, things most old RPGs even abstracted or were not really good in.

Oh, so that's what it's all about. Well, since you seem to be on a mental level of a creationist, I'll introduce to the wonderful concept of evolution! RPG's, just like any other genre have evolved significantly through the years. Sometimes for better, sometimes for worse, but they've changed. By your definition Torment is not an RPG either. Actually, most of the modern titles can't be called RPG's if you compare them to the RPG's of old.

ricolikesrice said:
so to summarize The Witcher has completely different gameplay & strenghts and weaknesses compared to most RPGs, yet you argue shit like "it has levels and xp" - so does DIRT2, "its stats influence combat" - guns in FPS have dmg stats too and Gordon/Masterchief even have hitpoints !.

Now I don't know if you're trolling or are you really that fucking stupid. All I asked you for was to give me some argument against TW being an RPG. All you managed to do is to state that TW is a bad RPG, and even then you couldn't back your opinion up with reasonable arguments.

To sum it up, you assume that, because I'm Polish, I'm some kind of a rabid, biased fanboy and I'll rage about you throwing shit at "my game". No sir. I'll just end our little conversation knowing, that you're full of prejudice, incapable of formulating a rational argument, dumbfuck.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
ricolikesrice said:
commie said:
tl;dr mostly but...

well maybe you *should* read it so you wouldnt be grasping at straws and failing so hard :oops:

Well I did look over it and my post stands. Didn't need any correcting as you still contradict yourself and can't seem to make up your mind as to what an RPG is. You make a distinction between old and new RPG's and say that TW is not like the old ones, thus suggesting it it like the new ones then. I then asked as to whether ME is an RPG as really it seems to have less of your list of what an old RPG should have than even TW.

Seems you're the only 'fail' around here, boy.

ZbojLamignat

Educated
Yeah, I'm from Poland and I have to agree that long-haired Polish Iron Maiden fans lurking on every god-damn gaming forum and fapping all over this game are a tad annoying.

TW is a so-so action rpg. It's far more difficult to appreciate if you're not Polish and didn't read the books and as someone who did read them (when they were published in the nineties, cause right now TW books became something like Polish harry potter) I have to say that I sure hated the idea of playing as Geralt, especially with that cheesy as fuck amnesia story.

Holy shit, was my post completely irrelevant or what?

I'll just add - it's definitely not a must-play title.

Stalin

Scholar
Konjad said:
KalosKagathos said:
WhiskeyWolf said:
No, it's shit. Stay away.
:what:
Aren't you Polish?
OH GOD, HE'S A TRAITOR TO OUR COUNTRY! POLLACKS! WE CANNOT JUST LET IT BE!

kaczor-batowski-szarza-husarii.jpg

the funny part is that picture is from ww2: stupid polish thought German tanks were made from cardboard

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Those are actually Lances of Piercing +3 against tanks. We could've stopped the Blitzkrieg right there if only those damn panzers didn't explode on hit, killing our cavalry.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tried the Twitcher twice, liked the setting and the characters very much, but the character and combat system are among the worst I've ever seen in a game that tries to call itself RPG (on Arse Effect / Proctocol level, maybe a little better, and yes, just like those games, the Witcher is not a CRPG) and the abysmal twitch combat plays too large part of the game, so I quit and uninstalled it both times.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
mondblut said:
barker_s said:
Witcher is an RPG because it has:
- dialogue system
- a focus on story and characters with some c&c thrown in

FAIL. Goldbox and Might & Magic spit on you.

Not this shit again. Those weren't rpgs, they were fucking boring shit games.

Seriously, I'm wondering why no one ever bothered to make the distinction regarding dungeon crawls and the Fallout-Arcanum-Bioware type of games. Yes I'm clumping Bioware games with Arcanum and Fallout - they were just bad games of that type. I guess it has something to do with being old school, but now this is the new shit, it's time the new generation turned their backs on all this :moonblut: bullshit and decided Fallout has nothing to do with Might and Magic, because it doesn't. Fallout = rpg, Might and Magic = some old utterly mind numbing shit nobody cares about. Yeah. That's right

1084733-1245176248-TrollFace2.jpg

VentilatorOfDoom said:
I heard The Witcher has heart & soul.

The Witcher has heart. It has soul. If The Witcher sang the Blues, you'd want to listen. This is a game made by people who genuinely loved what they were doing, and it's clear that rather than asking themselves "How can we best serve the market?", the developers instead asked "Wouldn't it be awesome if . . .?" It has all the enthusiasm and the quirkiness (for better and worse) of an indie game, but the production values that only a multi-million dollar budget will buy.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Stalin said:
Konjad said:
KalosKagathos said:
WhiskeyWolf said:
Aren't you Polish?

the funny part is that picture is from ww2: stupid polish thought German tanks were made from cardboard

Wrong faggot. This painting was created in 1924. I'll be merciful and do the maths for you - 15 years before the ww2.

And no, Poles weren't stupid - we used cavalery units in the war but certainly didn't charge on machine guns, let alone tanks. Actually this is a myth popularised by Brit poet (forgot the name, damnit) and Polish film director - Andrzej Wajda (in the movie "Lotna"). In both cases this metaphor was used to convey the hopelessness of struggle. Obviously, plenty of idiots understood it literally.

In second ww cavalery units proved invaluable in rapid attacks on German light infantry. They didn't charge at enemy with lances, sabres or what have you (though they retained sabres as their ceremonial weapon). The corps consisted of well trained marksmen often equipped with anti-tank rifles. Some units could have some heavy weapons.

Oh, and the painting depicts Polish hussaria - an elite cavalery unit considered to be one of the most effective in the world between 16th and 18th century.

Here're links if you need confirmation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_cav ... rld_War_II
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Hussars

(If that weren't a trolling attempt on your part then mankind is doomed - so much fail in one post.)

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Serious_Business said:
mondblut said:
barker_s said:
- dialogue system

Seriously, I'm wondering why no one ever bothered to make the distinction regarding dungeon crawls and the Fallout-Arcanum-Bioware type of games. Yes I'm clumping Bioware games with Arcanum and Fallout - they were just bad games of that type. I guess it has something to do with being old school, but now this is the new shit, it's time the new generation turned their backs on all this :moonblut: bullshit and decided Fallout has nothing to do with Might and Magic, because it doesn't. Fallout = rpg, Might and Magic = some old utterly mind numbing shit nobody cares about. Yeah. That's right

VentilatorOfDoom said:

The Witcher has heart. It has soul. If The Witcher sang the Blues, you'd want to listen. This is a game made by people who genuinely loved what they were doing, and it's clear that rather than asking themselves "How can we best serve the market?", the developers instead asked "Wouldn't it be awesome if . . .?" It has all the enthusiasm and the quirkiness (for better and worse) of an indie game, but the production values that only a multi-million dollar budget will buy.

You are a full of rage and hate, no nonsense guy. I like! :thumbsup:

Stalin

Scholar
Mrowak said:
Stalin said:
Konjad said:
KalosKagathos said:
WhiskeyWolf said:
Aren't you Polish?

Wrong faggot. This painting was created in 1924. I'll be merciful and do the maths for you - 15 years before the ww2.

And no, Poles weren't stupid - we used cavalery units in the war but certainly didn't charge on machine guns, let alone tanks. Actually this is a myth popularised by Brit poet (forgot the name, damnit) and Polish film director - Andrzej Wajda (in the movie "Lotna"). In both cases this metaphor was used to convey the hopelessness of struggle. Obviously, plenty of idiots understood it literally.

In second ww cavalery units proved invaluable in rapid attacks on German light infantry. They didn't charge at enemy with lances, sabres or what have you (though they retained sabres as their ceremonial weapon). The corps consisted of well trained marksmen often equipped with anti-tank rifles. Some units could have some heavy weapons.

Oh, and the painting depicts Polish hussaria - an elite cavalery unit considered to be one of the most effective in the world between 16th and 18th century.

Here're links if you need confirmation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_cav ... rld_War_II
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Hussars

(If that weren't a trolling attempt on your part then mankind is doomed - so much fail in one post.)

lol wall of text

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
commie said:
Serious_Business said:
mondblut said:
barker_s said:
- dialogue system

VentilatorOfDoom said:

You are a full of rage and hate, no nonsense guy. I like! :thumbsup:

SB is about the only one who makes any sense here anymore, but I don't think he's filled with rage and hate. He loves too much. That's his problem.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
commie said:
tl;dr mostly but...

The Witcher has completely different gameplay & strenghts and weaknesses compared to most RPGs

How would you characterize Mass Effect 2 then? RPG? Is it more or less an RPG than The Witcher?

According to devs of these games:
ME = RPG
ME2 = FPS
Oblivion = RPG
Fallout 3 = RPG
Wiedźmin = Action RPG (they clearly stated it's action rpg, not true rpg like fallout or anything)
Dragon Age = classic RPG

Who's lying on that list?

Might and Magic and the Gold Box games were boring shit and The Witcher is good because of its "heart and soul"?

:/

:lol:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
As an RPG it is mediocre at best. As a game in general it's better than most of the garbage out there.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
barker_s said:
To sum it up, you assume that, because I'm Polish, I'm some kind of a rabid, biased fanboy and I'll rage about you throwing shit at "my game". No sir.

oh no, the RACIST card :D dipshit i probably have more polish friends then you do and when i call them filthy thieves or slavshit they call me scat-loving nazi prick and we still love each other ( no homo ).

your game is an action adventure with a handfull RPG elements. just like bioshock is a shooter witha handfull RPG elements. neither is "the evolution of RPGs".

if some really watered down character development, the inability to meaningfully customize geralt (not talking haircolour here but stuff like making a more stealthy witcher, more magic-focused witcher, more diplomatic witcher etc. etc.), the 90% focus on story with little to no thought put into encounter & environmental/dungeon design arent enough to convince you, i dont know what is. even if your likely too young to remember M&M, its not like Fallout/Arcanum and even PS:T/Bloodlines&Gothic, i.e. games that are also pretty close to no longer being RPGs.... are still quite different to TW.

i guess with that kind of logic, any man with long hair that talks with a high pitched voice is a girl for you and therefore fuckable. and i m just pointing out its still a man. of course i m aware of the can of butthurt i m opening here as yeah - i m basically calling you a clueless faggot, sorry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom