Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Should there be an NPC that can craft items for the player?

Unwanted

SunKing

He/Him
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex Year of the Donut
The real question is why the PC can trivially become a better crafter than anyone else in the game world.
The answer is because it's a poorly thought out game world designed purely based on balance concerns with zero regard for any type of world building.
Guy you unemployed? Whats up with shitting up every underrail thread with your retarded hot takes? Game sucks move on. You got anything better to do? You waste an incredible amount of time here.
Rusty has been unusually ornery ever since his fellow countryman became president:

bfydo1.png
Its pretty clear he is a welfare queen so he should be happy to get more government cheese from Uncle Sugar.
Absolutely seething because someone shat on a terrible game.
Nah not seething I could care less. How much cash do you get on your EBT card per month?

CHEMS

Scholar
Crafting is a heavy skillpoint investment, circunventing this with money would be too cheaty for my tastes

Harthwain

Magister
I prefer NPCs over crafting done by players, because crafting done by players is mostly designed to be shit (you take crap to output crap), while items crafted by NPCs require some extra effort (like, obtaining specific parts for powerful creatures needed for the weapon in question) and result in an item that has some significance (both in terms of power and how it came into being) over player-made trash. It also doesn't require of you to be a (part-time) blacksmith in addition to being an adventurer.

CHEMS

Scholar
because crafting done by players is mostly designed to be shit (you take crap to output crap)
Late game crafting nets you 2000 capacity shields, not counting power management... Not to mention a crafted crossbow with bowyer gives vou 35% crit damage bonus, which is huge on a crit build with critical power. Crafting is the second strongest skill in the game, losing only to stealth. By mid game, if you're investing on it, crafting will already reward you with better gear than 99% stuff you'll ever loot in the game

A crafter NPC would be fair if we're talking about crafting ammo and drugs, but if we're talking about gear and weapons it would be basically cheat mode

Also, just 50 tailoring gives you infinite repair kits for tacvests you may find, which is a HUGE money making strategy. You only have to kill rats and siphoners, craft armor, recycle it and bam: the 100 charons you'd get selling the looted tacvest/riot gear became 200. You swim in cash even on dominating

Harthwain

Magister
Late game crafting nets you 2000 capacity shields, not counting power management... Not to mention a crafted crossbow with bowyer gives vou 35% crit damage bonus, which is huge on a crit build with critical power. Crafting is the second strongest skill in the game, losing only to stealth. By mid game, if you're investing on it, crafting will already reward you with better gear than 99% stuff you'll ever loot in the game
I didn't mean that for Underrail specifically - I meant in general.

CHEMS

Scholar
I had good experiences with crafting in RPGs. In Arcanum, for an example, a scientist is a garanteed build to have fun. Very well done crafting system that counterparts magic flawlessly

CHEMS

Scholar
I wish we could craft those barbed nets. Styg added them and i found like 3 in the game

Takamori

Learned
My problem with crafting nowdays is just an excuse to waste player time get 10 boar asses in a area that you will go anyway so you can craft X that will be just a statblock. Instead of a side quest with it own storyline with the crafter and the player where you can get an optional item that will make X encounter easier or add to the storytelling.

The concept is fine, the problem is how corrupted it has gone.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
The concept is not fine because it cannot result in good mechanics
Good crafting has never been done and will never be done

FriendlyMerchant

The concept is not fine because it cannot result in good mechanics
Good crafting has never been done and will never be done
Nah. Crafting is fine in games. The ability to make custom equipment for yourself is fantastic. The ability to craft a robot army is even better.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Weird how the only insult you can think of involves money. I bet you're a jew.
@Twiglard is this guy from Israel?
I'll only act on private information relating to a user with the user's explicit consent.

What you're suggesting is a retarded idea.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
He might be using Israeli proxy, his location doesn't prove anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom