Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

iamlindoro

Novice
Ugh, this whole KS is awful. I mean, anyone with any sense realized long ago that LB was a douche (eg: The guy who made himself the king of his own game universe, then goes by his game name for the rest of his life) but I figured he had some notion of what made Ultima fun to play. Fast forward to this-- no, he has no idea.

Stabwound

Arcane
If it's designed to be primarily a solo game, the sheer existence of microtransation items in one form or another is going to irritate the hell out of me. Surely they aren't going to be just visual effects or non-game-affecting things. He's already gone on record talking about charging for new character class trees and player housing. What do you do: either cut all microtransation items out of the single player portion or somehow make them attainable in-game? The former seems more likely.

Imagine playing Ultima 4 except you could never start as a Mage, Bard or Shepherd. Those will be $5 each, please.

Stabwound

Arcane
There aren't a ton of reasons to play an MMO offline, but I'm taking Garriott on his word that this is primarily a single player, story driven game with an online aspect.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
We won’t be using funds from this Kickstarter to add in features that deviate from this vision. We treat the trust you have placed in us seriously, and will maintain our precise focus on creating the game we have told you about. (For example, there is no total this Kickstarter could reach that would lead us to implement multiplayer.)​

:troll:

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I wonder what Gariott's "Investors" think of this Kickstarter lack of overwhelming success or interest? And Toment heads it's way to 3 Million...

I'm sure they were hoping Star Citizen numbers more than Torment even. The whole pitch is basically the Ultima version of Star Citizen with the hybrid single player/MMO thing.

Stabwound

Arcane
Yeah, on one of the live streams Garriott casually said that he expected them to hit goal on Monday. Yeah, well Monday's done and they're just at 75%

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
There aren't a ton of reasons to play an MMO offline, but I'm taking Garriott on his word that this is primarily a single player, story driven game with an online aspect.

Why do you keep saying this when everything Garriott has said and everything his Portalarirairararaum (or w/e) lackeys have said heavily suggest it's an MMO.

jewboy

Arbiter
Stabwound said:
DRM offline/online makes sense.

Offline DRM doesn't work. Online DRM sometimes works, but it pisses off offline gamers who have to stop playing if their internet connection has problems and can never play at all if they don't have a decent internet connection.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
They only care about people with broadband connections. The other people aren't going to have the thousand bucks to buy an in game monkey companion or whatever.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Originally Posted by Portalarium, Inc
@Michael, main quest line will be nearly identical in both versions! Just think of the online version as playing an old Ultima but your companions are played by real people! We'll give some more updates daily but we wanted to answer those three questions since they make up about 70% of the concerns people were expressing.

Stabwound

Arcane
So how does that work then? Everyone is an avatar in their own world/mind?

Forsaken Virtues: I Want To Be An Avatar

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
"I want to be the chosen hero, and only that" is an attitude of the decline, period. That said, "brb bio" and "wts dagger of flame 400g pst thx" and "lol" and "fuk u fag jew nigger" aren't exactly conducive to preventing the fourth wall from being utterly disintegrated.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
That said, "brb bio" and "wts dagger of flame 400g pst thx" and "lol" and "fuk u fag jew nigger" aren't exactly conducive to preventing the fourth wall from being utterly disintegrated.

Sounds like the RPG Codex Kindergarden. :troll:

Stabwound

Arcane
It looks like all ten $10,000 slots to visit His Lordship's manor.

Honestly, of all the high end kickstarter tiers I've seen, that's the one that interests me the most. Even if this game sucks, it would be pretty interesting to venture in the world of the full time LARPing madman.

Zetor

Arcane
It looks like all ten $10,000 slots to visit His Lordship's manor.

Honestly, of all the high end kickstarter tiers I've seen, that's the one that interests me the most. Even if this game sucks, it would be pretty interesting to venture in the world of the full time LARPing madman.
I don't think the $10k slot says anything about safe passage, though... so some unlucky visitors may just end up in the dungeons.

"Stay awhile... stay FOREVER!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom