Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

Stabwound

Arcane
At some point during this campaign I had, somewhere deep in side, the tiniest shred of hope that this might be a decent Ultima. I am 100% positive it won't be now. Richard Garriott has dollar signs in his eyes only; it's his main drive and only purpose for the game. I mean, just look at this shit.

I watched a documentary about his house the other day. The guy is eccentric as hell. If you didn't know who Garriott was you'd think you were watching a special edition of Hoarders featuring ancient human and animal remains, creepy as fuck automatons, shrunken heads, etc. It's fascinating to look into the world of an eccentric man with a huge amount of wealth.

But yeah this game is going to be an RPG lite. I expect something like Fable or Amalur level "RPG" here.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The Hilarious thing is this is going to be a great game.

It certainly could be, mechanics-wise. Just hope that you don't ever want a city house, exclusive titles, exclusive emotes, a plaque in your honor, exclusive pets, exclusive items, exclusive NPC servants, or any of the other limited-availability bribes he's using to grab cash for this game.

Stabwound

Arcane
The iPad shit was no surprise. From day 1 Garriott talked about how he does 90% of his gaming on tablets, on planes and whatnot. Plus tablet gaming is a whole other market for your game.

And yeah, the backer reward shit reeks of jewing every last drop of money out of people. How many of the KS updates were about adding new things to pledge levels and adding new pledge levels themselves? I swear there were more updates about pledge rewards than info about the game itself.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I wouldn't be surprised to see some of those $10,000 pledges disappear in the final hours. Garriott shill bids I suspect.

Zep--

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I am actually more excited about this than the game ; I will be probably equally disappointed though.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Those two LARPers aren't going to "square it off", they will share their love of larping and living in basements. Then Garriott will say out of anger "At least, I get to go to space and marry a hot chick." and Spoony will stop the interview, crying.

Diablo169

Arcane
Why would Spoony even agree to do this? he knows what a giant cockjuggling thundercunt Garriott has become. Why help him...

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
They were Full before. All 20 were backed I'm pretty sure. Because he added the 2nd $10,000 one after they filled up.

Also 3 or 4 of the $3500 have dropped out also.

Zep--

Breydel

Literate
Amazingly, D:OS is ahead of SotA on Kicktraq, even though the latter Kickstarter is in its final day.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was thinking about something during the successful T:ToN countdown -- This game MMO of Garriott's could be/ is considered one of the BIG Kickstarters that is going to be/ is successfully funded based on just the media attention it has received, correct? So, if when this thing fails as a game or MMO will it have an affect on cRPG Kickstarters in the future? Many people will surely justify throwing their money at this regardless but there will also be a significant amount of pledgers who will be deeply disappointed. This will attract negative media coverage as a "failed" KS, not in funding but in implementation. Thoughts?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was thinking about something during the successful T:ToN countdown -- This game MMO of Garriott's could be/ is considered one of the BIG Kickstarters that is going to be/ is successfully funded based on just the media attention it has received, correct? So, if when this thing fails as a game or MMO will it have an affect on cRPG Kickstarters in the future? Many people will surely justify throwing their money at this regardless but there will also be a significant amount of pledgers who will be deeply disappointed. This will attract negative media coverage as a "failed" KS, not in funding but in implementation. Thoughts?

I don't think "failed Kickstarter projects" will have as big an effect as some people assume as long as others are successful, so I'm not worried by this.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Kickstarter doesn't follow it's own ToS when it's thrown in their face of how some KS projects just outright abused it. Tom Hall funding his failing (and failed) project at the last hour with several mega bids (which he admits to in the comments) and that Susan Wilson send my kid to RPG camp crap (No Fund my life projects).

They are losing credibility with me by ignoring obvious abuse.

Zep--

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom