Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

xilo3z

Educated
Wait, so he obviously knows how Spoony feels about the later games and he willfully wants to talk to him? Does ol Richie actually feel the same way? Every time I see Garriett mention 9, 8, his career choices after Ultima, he defends them... Now defending them to IGN and their audience is one thing. There is literally no way he can defend them to Spoony, a guy who grew up playing the series and will call out even the slightest shit wrong. LB has to know that going into it - and he wants to do it.

Fuck it I hope it happens, it quite possibly could be the most revealing interview LB has ever done. Well as long as Spoony isn't in clinically depressed desperately looking for attention some one help me give me money i work so hard why me let me pretend I'm an actual actor and do a bunch of stupid characters ha aren't I funny mode, but the theory on that is that only happens when he isn't getting laid. Send some hookers and blow over to him pronto.

Stabwound

Arcane
Haha, oh wow, you could rip apart those stretch goals all day. Fucking Occulus Rift support? Like I thought, these stretch goals are pretty telling. He wanted to make an MMO all along and tacked the single player shit on at the last minute. The only really appealing thing is the "double the size of the main continent" thing as that might mean an expanded game world. Or maybe it's just open space for houses. Considering they just shat their entire stretch goal list they must have had far greater expectations for this thing, because no way is it going to reach 2+ million.

Interesting one though is: "The Lost Vale - A new mini-adventure centered around a lost valley previously hidden to players, now visible only during special astronomical alignments."

Lost Vale is the never-released Ultima 8 expansion, if you weren't aware. Probably just name dropping but it would be neat if he incorporated what was going to be in that expansion.

And nice Spoony interview stretch goal. Too bad this has already been in the works and they already recorded the interview a week ago, what are they going to do, just not show it if the goal isn't met? :roll:

v0nhumr.png

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I don't think Gariott would do this if it wasn't for some positive PR. There will probably be some light jabs here and there, but that will probably be it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So what's so special about this Spoony character to make him the Oprah Winfrey of video games?

Nothing much. Basically though he looks, sounds and acts like every nerd's funny/sarcastic yet endearingly loserish best friend. And he is a genuine oldschool gamer.

Mortmal

Arcane
Obvious spoony will be very polite, garriott will never have the balls to accept a codex interview let alone to post here .And why should we care, it seems he took not much parts in the thing we liked the most in ultima , its rather the result of a very good team and warren spector.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
So what's so special about this Spoony character to make him the Oprah Winfrey of video gaming?

He's made a bunch of funny and accurate game review videos, most notably of the Ultima series - which included tearing U8 and especially U9 a new asshole.

Edit: if he's actually anything like in his videos then yeah, he'd be right at home here.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So what's so special about this Spoony character to make him the Oprah Winfrey of video gaming?

He's made a bunch of funny and accurate game review videos, most notably of the Ultima series - which included tearing U8 and especially U9 a new asshole.

He is funny all right, and has a good and clear voice, but his review of Ultima Underworld II focuses solely on the few negative aspects of the game.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I agree with that one, Octavius - IIRC he was playing it somewhat wrong, i.e. he got frustrated trying to fight some high-level monsters at level 1.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I doubt any of those youtube celebeities would work well on the Codex or other forums, they are used to speak and be heard from a vantage point, where they can filter what they want to interact with. The moment you have them posting on a forum with other posters disagreeing, bashing, quoting and asking for answers/explanations, they lose all interest in exposing thenselves that way.

Anyway, back to LB's kickstarter, that Warren chat was interesting, especially the stuff about stuff that had unexpected solutions. I will say it again, LB seems like a REALLY smart guy, that just do whatever he wants, most times resulting in huge success. I didn't back his KS, but I don't deny that I'm curious to what he can actually do...

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I doubt any of those youtube celebeities would work well on the Codex or other forums, they are used to speak and be heard from a vantage point, where they can filter what they want to interact with. The moment you have them posting on a forum with other posters disagreeing, bashing, quoting and asking for answers/explanations, they lose all interest in exposing thenselves that way.

A rare insightful post (not rare for you, necessarily, rare in general). :thumbsup:

Interestingly enough, I've found that the same is true to a lesser extent when comparing a forum to, say, real-time chat (IRC, IMs, etc.). The delay and formatting of message board posting renders it less personal that chatting in a chatroom.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
But it also makes things more timeless. If a guy like Spoony comes in and say "I hate Fallout 1", he'll be questioned and people will expect an answer, even if days later, or it will seem like he chickened out or has no arguments at all. Similary, if he says something stupid, is very easy to quote and link the source to others.

On the other hand, the fact that I can ponder for as long as I want on a forum reply is a huge advantage, as in a realtime chat, debate or interview the lack time, way you feel and how's your thoughts at the moment greatly influence your ability to argue.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Just watched Spoony's FF8 review.... and loved it. I remember buying ff8 on release and face palming the moment I was introduced to the emo hero. Seriously wanted to beat whoever ok'ed that shit character, story, everything about that pile of shit. Never bought a FF title after that disappointment. I think FF6 was random luck that it was at least half way mature. After 6 the series went to anime emo shitfest.

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
I think FF9 was a direct response to the complaints of FF8. Cheery, in comparison. Personally, I recall finding it to be too much of a seesaw. And I still remember the cook character with supreme loathing. Not to mention the main villain, basically a parody of every shitty villain.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom