Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
We already have one.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Looks like the edit post disappears after 30 minutes, tho I think the waiting for moderation causes it not to appear at all.

What was the "roll the dice" thing about that I saw?

Zep--

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
catnipgames 2 points 49 minutes ago

Richard, what's a paladin?

PsychoKuros 13 points 1 hour ago

How did it feel getting killed by Rainz in UO?

RAINZ!!!! Some day I will get my revenge! When it happened, I was in shock and disbelief. I did not know what to do. I could no longer speak. I could not resurrect myself. I was in my office alone. Fortunately someone in QA could see me and resurrected me. Then the team, decided to kill everyone, as we did not know yet that it was Rainz.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Yeah, there was a big shit when they banned Rainz for that, their own or richards, stupidity (Forgot to turn on a no death flag or something I recall).

I think they eventually banned him fort 'hacking' and 'exploiting' and not for actually killing LB.

But as I said somewhere in the KS comments, we were exploiting the fuck out of UO (and reporting it), and they either denied it was possible or just ignored what we were doing outright and ddin't care.

Zep--

octavius

Arcane
Patron
never really played a true Ultima before EA fucked that shit up.

That's the point bro. They think that EA fucked everything up and that Garriott would still be making classic Ultima games if he could, if he was unobstructed by publishers. They refuse to see how far gone he is.

Judging from the MattChat interview Garriot is pro PC and anti dumbed down quest compasses, which I think set him apart from most other developers in a good way.
But I think he's too focused in item interactivity. Yes, being able to interact with the world is good, but too much of it in U7 was pointless, and being able to bake bread and all sorts of crafting is not very exciting and heroic. If I want to bake bread I'd rather do it in real life. In games I want to do things I can't or won't do in real life, like using magic and killing anything uglier than myself.

Stabwound

Arcane
New stretch goals up: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/portalarium/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0/posts/438155

$1 M INITIAL GOAL!
$1.1 M PET SYSTEM!
One word, "Pets!" We're adding both social and combat pets which players can control using simple commands
$1.2 M SEASONAL WEATHER!
Grab your cloak, because we're adding Weather to the game!
$1.3 M INTERACTIVE MUSIC INSTRUMENTS
Unleash your innter Bard! We will be adding interactive pianos, harps, lutes, flutes and drums in game!
$1.4 M ANIMAL TAMING!
We will expand our pet system to allow the player to tame certain monsters to act as pets!
Judging by this, he's pushing far more for "UO" fanbase than Ultima fanbase. Not a single thing out of that list would appeal to someone that wanted an Ultima 7. I'm starting to question Garriott's motives here.

Also, in other related but great news, Richard Garriott has agreed to do an interview with Spoony. If you're not aware, he's the guy that did the famous Ultima Retrospective. Should be a GREAT interview, especially with how Spoony knows Ultima well and ripped U8 and especially 9 a new butthole.

This game is making for great entertainment if nothing else. :smug:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
All of Spoony Twitter comments so far make me think he wants to believe that SotA will be great and a return to form of Garriott, or he's just setting things up

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Animal Taming.

Is this game a fucking farm simulator?

A skill like Animal Taming is incline in the context of sandbox MMO(-alike)s. I feel strongly that SotA will be shit, but that's beside the point. Capturing, raising, customizing, and even selling your own pets, mounts, and so on is a welcome feature.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd play that. Actually, an "Animal Crossing" where you could have a house, by stuff, work a job, celebrate real and fake holidays and battle other anthropomorphic animals sounds awesome. I should make that game.

Bt

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think you missed some sarcasm Jaesun. He's describing the actual Animal Crossing.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
No! Keep making classic Sierra like adventure games please. :(

Haha, yeah, I was just kidding around. We're going to do what we do best. We do have another game already in the words for after QFG, too. It has a lot of work done on it already, so we've got our hands full for a while!!!

Bt

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Garriott is a larper, and larpers need appreciating auditory, hence the MMO obsession. There is no fun acting like a paladin when there is only your computer and you ;)
Exactly. Garriot has been crazy about MMO's since UO and doesn't listen to reason. Which is why he's seemingly obsessed with repeating all the player-economy problems of UO with this turd. Limited real estate means that price of housing will skyrocket quickly - the usual going price for even the smallest house was a hundred thousand gold on Europa after Second Age came. There were almost no actual villages, as every possible land was absolutely filled with player housing. I can only imagine how bad the situation got later on. Even then, there were players who specialized in watching non-maintained houses that were in danger of collapse, with a deed at hand, ready to place their own house the second the old house vanished. Hell, there were gang-fights when a mansion or a castle was in danger with folks sacrificing characters for perma-red for the chance to get a castle for "free".

And player crafting sounds awesome, until you realize what macros, bots or even just no-life 'sperging nerds can cause. I remember that awesome feeling of crafting my first own sword in UO, only to realize that no-one is ever going to buy it because supply had oustripped demand thousand times over - every other house had two or three vendors on the door step, selling masterwork weapons dirt cheap. Or when I tried to support myself as a fisherman/cook - no luck either, because people with ships who could exploit the outer sea fishing spots were selling a thousand fish cakes for fifty gold.

Unless I missed something on the last twenty pages, that I admittedly just skimmed, nothing has changed and this shovelware will repeat all those mistakes and not even providing the best thing of UO - nearly limitless PVP and full looting.

mondblut

Arcane
Limited real estate means that price of housing will skyrocket quickly - the usual going price for even the smallest house was a hundred thousand gold on Europa after Second Age came.

:smug:

Now all it needs is a little IRL cash for gold monetization, and someone could fly to space once again. Everything as planned.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Garriott is a larper, and larpers need appreciating auditory, hence the MMO obsession. There is no fun acting like a paladin when there is only your computer and you ;)
Exactly. Garriot has been crazy about MMO's since UO and doesn't listen to reason. Which is why he's seemingly obsessed with repeating all the player-economy problems of UO with this turd. Limited real estate means that price of housing will skyrocket quickly - the usual going price for even the smallest house was a hundred thousand gold on Europa after Second Age came. There were almost no actual villages, as every possible land was absolutely filled with player housing. I can only imagine how bad the situation got later on. Even then, there were players who specialized in watching non-maintained houses that were in danger of collapse, with a deed at hand, ready to place their own house the second the old house vanished. Hell, there were gang-fights when a mansion or a castle was in danger with folks sacrificing characters for perma-red for the chance to get a castle for "free".

And player crafting sounds awesome, until you realize what macros, bots or even just no-life 'sperging nerds can cause. I remember that awesome feeling of crafting my first own sword in UO, only to realize that no-one is ever going to buy it because supply had oustripped demand thousand times over - every other house had two or three vendors on the door step, selling masterwork weapons dirt cheap. Or when I tried to support myself as a fisherman/cook - no luck either, because people with ships who could exploit the outer sea fishing spots were selling a thousand fish cakes for fifty gold.

Unless I missed something on the last twenty pages, that I admittedly just skimmed, nothing has changed and this shovelware will repeat all those mistakes and not even providing the best thing of UO - nearly limitless PVP and full looting.

Lots of valuable life lessons that can be applied to the real world in this post.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom