Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm pretty sure it's gonna be the case - is the game will follow the same development cycle as Civ5: utter, dumbed down, content-anemic shit > first addon > playable > first mods > enjoyable > second addon and a whole slew of mods > a great game. That took two years tho.

I'm looking forward to the BE actually but I'm dismayed by a rock solid certainty the game is not gonna be any good for the next dozen months or so.
So, you agree with me then that I should buy the expansions and this game when they all hit 75% off on steam so they all together cost the same price as a decent game, right?
You're reading my mind. I'm definitely not gonna morgoth this shit either.
Easter sale here I go, most likely (by that time at least the first patches, rebalances and mods are gonna be in place).

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Anyone who day one purchases a Firaxis game is simply asking for trouble.

I :d1p: Civ4. (and it turned out to be horribly buggy and unoptimized -literally didn't run on ATI-Radeon video cards- with missing features)

:smug:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I :d1p: Civ4. (and it turned out to be horribly buggy and unoptimized -literally didn't run on ATI-Radeon video cards- with missing features)

Yeah I remember that! I think...
Vanilla CiV4 was pretty horrible.

And after Civ3 proved to be such a wet toilet paper disappointment I went back to Civ2 thinking I'll never be able to enjoy a new Civilization game. :D
Oh I was so young...

Wasteland 2
The point is - even if there are more similarities...who gives a fuck? SMAC was way, way more similar to Civ2 than it was different and so what? It was a phenomenal game nevertheless. Nobody ever thought of whining about it being too much like a Civilization game.

Nobody complained because people liked Civ2.

Multi-headed Cow

Got this preordered (Technically wouldn't have except I got it for free via pig trickery so what the hell) and am looking forward to it a bit more after watching some LPs of it over at https://www.youtube.com/user/SBFMadDjinn/playlists

Get the feeling it'll be a hair faster paced and more combat focused than Civ 5 which may make me like it more than 5. The tech web also seems like it could be alright since you've got more options for what to be researching at any given time. Biggest obvious complaint I've got after watching a pile of gameplay is I'm not sold on affinity buildings/units being tied to specific affinity resources. Xenomass/harmony floatstone/purity firaxite/supremacy seems kind of annoying. Instead of thinking "Oh I'll go supremacy this time" you may end up going something else if you're knee deep in quivering alien meats. Sure, you can sell it to the AI players, but gold won't help you as much as being able to build good shit.

bonescraper

Yeah but why is everybody's knickers in such a knot over a food icon?
The food icon is fine, but all other icons just fucking suck. They look ugly, amateurish and often out of place. A tent icon for a clinic? A tent? On an alien planet? A mining cart icon for resource extraction buildings? Is it the XIX century again? It almost seems like the UI artist didn't know he's working on a sci-fi game. Or... maybe they just used some stock clipart pictures?

Multi-headed Cow

And they have nuts for production instead of hammers. They could've even had laser hammers, but no. Instead of the dignity of saying you're 5 hammers away from getting pyramids you can degrade yourself by talking about how your capital is focused on nuts and once you finish that factory your nut output will increase 50%.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Yeah but why is everybody's knickers in such a knot over a food icon?
The food icon is fine, but all other icons just fucking suck. They look ugly, amateurish and often out of place. A tent icon for a clinic? A tent? On an alien planet? A mining cart icon for resource extraction buildings? Is it the XIX century again? It almost seems like the UI artist didn't know he's working on a sci-fi game. Or... maybe they just used some stock clipart pictures?

Yes, actually.

scavengehunt05.jpg

scavengehunt06JPG.jpg

scavengehunt13.jpg

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I like the Civ5 icons. Without looking too far, which icon depicts Horseback Riding better? It's certainly not the fucking decapitated horse.

horsebackriding.jpg

Horseback_riding_%28Civ5%29.png

bonescraper

So, they're shipping muslims and russians off to another planet. Life on earth is about to improve considerably.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Everything in this video sucks. Stupid ID verification, stupid launch control cheering right after the launch, when there is still tons of shit that can go wrong, stupid amount of empty fucking space on the ship, stupid colonists in their filthy earth clothes travelling to another planet, stupidly gigantic WINDOW on a spaceship.

Drakron

Arcane
Biggest obvious complaint I've got after watching a pile of gameplay is I'm not sold on affinity buildings/units being tied to specific affinity resources.

Biggest for me is trade, in Civ 5 at most you got was ... 10? but since they are now tied to depots that are per city this means things after 4 cities get really annoying because I dont see automation.

Multi-headed Cow

Biggest obvious complaint I've got after watching a pile of gameplay is I'm not sold on affinity buildings/units being tied to specific affinity resources.

Biggest for me is trade, in Civ 5 at most you got was ... 10? but since they are now tied to depots that are per city this means things after 4 cities get really annoying because I dont see automation.
Good point. Looks like you can pretty easily get 4+ trade routes per city, and due to the "Refresh every 20ish turns" nature of Civ 5 trade routes it turns into an increasingly large pain in the ass that slows the late game down. Hopefully they'll add a setting where trade routes just keep trucking indefinitely unless you specifically order them to quit. Maybe make it so you can't stop a trade route manually until after 20 turns, but you don't have to constantly refresh them. That way people can't cheese/micromanage trade routes to quickly funnel production turn after turn but you also don't have to deal with constantly maintaining the bastards.

Drakron

Arcane
Well problem is they still used Civ 5 system of units, if you build a Depot you get 2 routes but in order to use said routes you need to build a trader (not sure whats the exact name) so if you go to war they can be pillaged, meaning we have to build those again and set then up.

I would prefer they handled then like they handle spies, you gain a slot and then set to trade with a city and it would do it without having units moving on the map bogging down the AI since this is Civ 5 engine and we all know how things get slower and slower at later ages and allow a quick setup of trade routes.

It really goes down to how important trading is, I am only reserving judgement because he might just like to spam trade routes and it might be possible to do it fine without it but if it is then trade spam will ge really annoying real quick because someone at Fireaxis thought it was hilarious to block trade routes with miasma.

Multi-headed Cow

It really goes down to how important trading is, I am only reserving judgement because he might just like to spam trade routes and it might be possible to do it fine without it but if it is then trade spam will ge really annoying real quick because someone at Fireaxis thought it was hilarious to block trade routes with miasma.
Unfortunately it sounds pretty important. Not just for cash, but for shuffling production around. He basically always had one trade route from every city bringing production into his capital, which was less viable in 5 due to the limited number of trade routes but in BE it's kind of a non-issue.

Guess it's also possibly something modders will fix even if Firaxis ends up being stupid about it.

Gozma

Arcane
Shit they got me I wannit. There's enough systems in that video that they can't all be bad.... right

Also the tech web will be a nice change from Civ linear/matched advancement

Having some decisions before first founding (the "pick the loadout of the colony ship" bit) seems like it has potential too

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom