Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Silent Hill or Resident Evil 2

Silent Hill or Resident Evil 2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sullynathan

Arcane
I want to buy one or the other. I've never played a Silent Hill game, I have played Resident Evil Remake & beat it twice & beat RE4. I really like RE:Remake but have heard good things about Silent Hill. If I we're to get either game, it will be the PS3 version

Ivan

Arcane
Resident Evil 2, Silent Hill 1 + 2 are must plays. You can't go wrong with those three.

Fun Fact: Resi Evil 2 is one of those few games that I enjoyed so much that I finished it 4 times to see all of the alternate endings; did the same thing Silent Hill 1 cuz I accidentally got the "bad ending"

Also, you should know that Resi 2 has more in common with RE 4 than 1 (more action, less oh shit I'm outta ammo run the fuck away). Silent Hill is atmospheric, pure distilled delicious foreboding

I cannot choose one. Give me kingcomrade option

McPlusle

Savant
Resident Evil 2 is significantly better from a pure gameplay perspective, but Silent Hill is much scarier, and has a far better story.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
c7NJRa2.gif

PD: How underrated the gameplay and the level design are in the Silent hill tetralogy just hurts me. That's why whe had all the shite non-Team silent continuations with different gameplay formulas.

Ash

Arcane
Underrated gameplay? It's serviceable but RE2 has better gameplay and even that ain't all that great. Parasite Eve 2 or RE3 are the peak gameplay for this style of game.

But yeah, why not both? One or the other though it's a toughie. Silent Hill if you want to shit your pants. RE2 if you want to trade intensity of horror for slightly better gameplay.

Now a slight tangent: of the tank control fixed camera survival horrors I'd recommend:

Primary/Must-Play:

Parasite Eve 2 (now THAT's an underrated gem).
Original Resident Evil (fuck the REmake)
Resident Evil 3
Silent Hill

Secondary:

Resident Evil 2
Martian Gothic
Clocktower 3
Cold Fear (has both fixed cameras and tank controls mixed with fine aiming)

Wasn't a fan of Silent Hill 2, Code Veronica and other RE spinoffs (RE0), Gallerians, Alone in the Dark, Evil Dead.
Have not played Dino Crisis 1 + 2, Silent Hill 3 + 4, and any other tank control fixed perspective survival horrors there may be other than the above.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane

Mostly for subjective and emotional attachment reasons. But I went into it before: colour/visual variety sucked out of the game. It has a new mixed-in-level-of-faithfulness monochromatic art direction. And the soundtrack "remaster" just sounds worse to me.

Exhibit A: Mansion basement. Droning ambient vs the original pants-shitting pending doom backing.

As a kid I was scared to turn those corners in the basement. The new music direction here is just typical forgettable droning.

Exhibit B: Mansion second floor. Something is just lost here. Literally parts of the track is missing.

I think the art direction in the original was for the most part fine: could be improved, but shouldn't be taken in a different monochromatic direction. And the soundtrack was...why the fuck would you touch it? But ultimately I beat the game when I was 10 years old and thus have strong emotional ties to it, yet that doesn't discredit some of the very legitimate criticism here.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Imo if you never played SH games just go SH1>SH2>SH3>SH4 and try to emulate SH:Shattered Memories (PSP or Wii version, both are great).

You will be fucking wishing series would have more games and none of those games got old.

Perkel

Arcane
Both are crap.

Take Silent Hill 2 though. At least the story and atmosphere are GOAT on this one.

You are crap. I finished SH1 in 2010 and it still is amazing fucking game. It plays exactly the same as SH2 just with more blocky graphics.

BUT it has waaaaay better atmosphere than SH2 (SH2 story is where it shines).

Deflowerer

Arcane
To be honest, the story in Silent Hill 1 is equally intriguing, it's just not EMUHSIONAL like SH2.

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
Silent hill all the way. Re2 is a massive disappointment after playing the REmake. Dont buy it, emulate it, shitty graphics are part of the atmosphere

Max Stats

Liturgist
Personally, i love RE2, but neve managed to get all the way through SH for some reason (after many tries). Not difficulty, just didn't really hold my attention for whatever reason. SH2 is great tho, make sure to play that if you have a chance.

Re2 is a massive disappointment after playing the REmake

WHen does RE2make come out? I'd definitely play that when it comes out. REmake is great, btw.

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
Personally, i love RE2, but neve managed to get all the way through SH for some reason (after many tries). Not difficulty, just didn't really hold my attention for whatever reason. SH2 is great tho, make sure to play that if you have a chance.

Re2 is a massive disappointment after playing the REmake

WHen does RE2make come out? I'd definitely play that when it comes out. REmake is great, btw.

Dont know but honestly there is no way its going to live up to the REmake. It will most likely be better than RE0 remaster but still. They would need to rework the puzzles and game balance especially the ammo available.

Ash

Arcane
The Resident Evil games have atmosphere and mood! Granted, you can't top running through the mist with the malfunctioning of the radio...what's going on with that radio? Or air sirens for that matter.

What do you think of Call of Cthulhu: DCotE then Multidirectional ?

Last edited:
What do you think of Call of Cthulhu: DCotE then Multidirectional ?

I played through the full thing only once and it was certainly a memorable game. I really preferred the part until you get weapons in that game and replayed it couple times since. The respawning ruins it most for me I think. Would be fine with combat otherwise. Would say it's a rough gem and certainly recommend trying it to people who still haven't done so. I will need to give the full thing another go eventually too.

Ash

Arcane
Hmm a common complaint, yet the combat is better than nearly every game mentioned ITT. So maybe it's not the combat itself but the belief that at that point OTHER aspects of the game decline. Personally I think the level of quality is pretty consistent though. And the game isn't shy of taking away your guns and forcing the mystery, helpless atmosphere and storytelling upon you again and again anyways.

Also, respawning? What respawning? I recall one instance of that happening right at the end where you have to take control of the beasts to deactivate Hydra's shields.

Also, respawning? What respawning? I recall one instance of that happening right at the end where you have to take control of the beasts to deactivate Hydra's shields.

From what I remember all human enemies respawn in a matter of seconds after you shoot them. I was noticing it as soon as the first time you get a firearm, near the police station, I think. I don't remember now if it happens throughout entire game as, like I said, I tend to stop soon after I'm able to kill things. It seemed to work much better as adventure game. I will really have to replay this thing again sometime.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom