Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Simple engine question

n0wh3r3

Educated
Some months ago I started brainstorming for my game development project, that started as a funny learning-exercise to improve my Python skills. Godot engine would have been my choice since the language should be very Python friendly. It would have been a barebones text-based crpg with basic ASCII art.
Now my situation has changed and I am more leaning towards experimenting with something more user friendly like RPG Maker or SRPG Studio. My question is the following: is learning JavaScript (useful for both) and HTML/CSS (for RPG Maker overall look of the game) worth the time or are those engine too limited to get something out of it?

Obviously there are many noteworthy examples of far more than good games made with both engines (e.g. To the Moon, Symphony of War), but last time I had an identity check I wasn't some kind of genius developer that can breed an acclaimed indie-gem. So yeah, I wanna know what you Codexers think about this.

Also how wide is the choice in terms of community plugins and such? Will it enable anybody to get something out of the engines even without great coding skills?

I am counting on your answers! :positive:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I wanna know what you Codexers think about this.

I'm really familiar with RPGmaker but not SRPG studio. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Otherwise, it's a very easy to use but very limited engine that's great for prototyping small ideas. If you want to make a pixel art walking simulator, it's perfect. If you want to make anything that involves gameplay besides what's included, it's awful.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
Use Godot. The knowledge you get is very useful for following projects. You can force RPG Maker to do more but why force something if you can have it more simply.

n0wh3r3

Educated
I wanna know what you Codexers think about this.

I'm really familiar with RPGmaker but not SRPG studio. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Otherwise, it's a very easy to use but very limited engine that's great for prototyping small ideas. If you want to make a pixel art walking simulator, it's perfect. If you want to make anything that involves gameplay besides what's included, it's awful.
I could have many questions but I'm not going to ask you all of them in one post, is that ok?
First: since you said you are very familiar with RPG Maker, do you have any recent experience where you evaluated the plugins and such? If so, when and how did you perceive its limitations? It is very obvious that RPG Maker or even SRPG Studio cannot compare with the freedom of the other game-development related choices. My impression was that now RPG Maker was in state where compromising wasn't that bad...

n0wh3r3

Educated
Use Godot. The knowledge you get is very useful for following projects. You can force RPG Maker to do more but why force something if you can have it more simply.
Do you mind me asking if you have prior experience with the options I presented?

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
I made 4 games with Godot, tried making one with RPG Maker, never heard of SRPG Studio.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I could have many questions but I'm not going to ask you all of them in one post, is that ok?
First: since you said you are very familiar with RPG Maker, do you have any recent experience where you evaluated the plugins and such? If so, when and how did you perceive its limitations? It is very obvious that RPG Maker or even SRPG Studio cannot compare with the freedom of the other game-development related choices. My impression was that now RPG Maker was in state where compromising wasn't that bad...
Sure. I should say I've since moved onto Unreal 5 but I spent about a decade messing with the various versions of RPGM, MV is the one I'm most familiar with and the advice below applies specifically for this version. I am very fond of the engine, but I'll shit on it a lot too.

I use plugins for RPGM extensively. There's a joke in the community for people who stack 800+ plugins into their frankenstein'ed engine and I'm one of them. Two of my games break the engine very heavily in this way.

If you have javascript knowledge, you can basically do anything in the engine with a lot of caveats.

Most of them revolve around the fact that the engine has hard and soft limitations.

One that's often not brought up is that the editor itself has lots of limitations. By the end of my time with the engine I was no longer using the tilemap editor, I had a convoluted scheme set up for sprites, maps had to be loaded in very differently, etc etc.

If you use plugins a lot, you'll run into compatibility issues all the time. This will vary from needing to reshuffle your plugin load, or bricking your project entirely. PRACTICE VERSION CONTROL.

3D is possible and one of my games is 3D. However, the popular plugin that makes it possible (it's like a work of mad genius) is not well understood outside of the dev who makes it and a few other high-level RPGM dudes. It takes a lot to learn.

Anything that changes the combat system significantly is a pain in the ass. I was using a grid-based combat system that was made by one guy, it got abandoned, and I had to rework a lot of it.

If you notice a trend, it's that plugins are made by very talented people, but that doesn't mean they're easy to use or customize.

At the end of the day, it's a simple and user-friendly 2d engine with FF-style combat. You can make it into a Stardew Valley clone or a FPS, I've personally seen both done.

But it's probably easier on another engine.

Eisen

Learned
I heard it's painful to make a customized game on RPG Maker

n0wh3r3

Educated
Sure. I should say I've since moved onto Unreal 5 but I spent about a decade messing with the various versions of RPGM, MV is the one I'm most familiar with and the advice below applies specifically for this version. I am very fond of the engine, but I'll shit on it a lot too.

I use plugins for RPGM extensively. There's a joke in the community for people who stack 800+ plugins into their frankenstein'ed engine and I'm one of them. Two of my games break the engine very heavily in this way.

If you have javascript knowledge, you can basically do anything in the engine with a lot of caveats.

Most of them revolve around the fact that the engine has hard and soft limitations.

One that's often not brought up is that the editor itself has lots of limitations. By the end of my time with the engine I was no longer using the tilemap editor, I had a convoluted scheme set up for sprites, maps had to be loaded in very differently, etc etc.

If you use plugins a lot, you'll run into compatibility issues all the time. This will vary from needing to reshuffle your plugin load, or bricking your project entirely. PRACTICE VERSION CONTROL.

3D is possible and one of my games is 3D. However, the popular plugin that makes it possible (it's like a work of mad genius) is not well understood outside of the dev who makes it and a few other high-level RPGM dudes. It takes a lot to learn.

Anything that changes the combat system significantly is a pain in the ass. I was using a grid-based combat system that was made by one guy, it got abandoned, and I had to rework a lot of it.

If you notice a trend, it's that plugins are made by very talented people, but that doesn't mean they're easy to use or customize.

At the end of the day, it's a simple and user-friendly 2d engine with FF-style combat. You can make it into a Stardew Valley clone or a FPS, I've personally seen both done.

But it's probably easier on another engine.
Oh I just noticed you are the creator behind Memoirs of a Battle Brothel. Congrats! And also that Vampire game that I really wanted to be funded but... Will you keep working on it? IIRC you said that would have been your attempt at the best crpg ever, even better than Planescape: Torment! Or is my memory fooling me? I would love to see it finished after such a bold statement :incline:
I was also just browsing the Steam page for Baldr Squid the other day...

So at the end of the day, talking about the most comfortable way to craft your own game, you think it would be far more easier to use anything other than RPGM ? I am just talking about ease of usage. Mind you, I am not lazy or anything like that. Sadly, I am just at a point in my life where I need to try to avoid any kind of unnecessary stress or discomfort. I don't even know if I will ever be able to get something out of these game-development ramblings/ideas of mine. So that...

And besides the engine matter, have you any other advice for game-development in general?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Oh I just noticed you are the creator behind Memoirs of a Battle Brothel. Congrats! And also that Vampire game that I really wanted to be funded but... Will you keep working on it? IIRC you said that would have been your attempt at the best crpg ever, even better than Planescape: Torment! Or is my memory fooling me? I would love to see it finished after such a bold statement :incline:
I was also just browsing the Steam page for Baldr Squid the other day...

So at the end of the day, talking about the most comfortable way to craft your own game, you think it would be far more easier to use anything other than RPGM ? I am just talking about ease of usage. Mind you, I am not lazy or anything like that. Sadly, I am just at a point in my life where I need to try to avoid any kind of unnecessary stress or discomfort. I don't even know if I will ever be able to get something out of these game-development ramblings/ideas of mine. So that...

And besides the engine matter, have you any other advice for game-development in general?

I think what I said is I'll try to make the best game I can, not better than PS:T. That's a pretty high bar.

But I had my start with RPGmaker and I definitely recommend it to people who lack coding knowledge or just want to prototype something very quick. You can always do what I did and move onto a more flexible engine later on.

I'm not really successful enough to have advice for general game development. If you're a hobbyist with no desire for commercial releases, do whatever you want. It's good fun and a great hobby.

If you intend to go commercial eventually, especially as a solo, it's hard. Go into it knowing that your chances of success are very small.

You'll end up googling questions a lot. Join the official RPGMaker forums if you are interested in the engine. They're very helpful.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom