Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Single-Player Non-Squad FPS's with "realistic"...

I.C. Wiener

Educated
MetalCraze said:
Painkiller is shit. I still can't understand what's so fun about being locked in a 5m x 5m room with infinite respawns of same looking enemies from the exactly same spawn point - must remind some people of their favourite basements or something.
Yeah that does sound fucking stupid, good thing Painkiller doesn't have that shit.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
That doesn't happen very often. Usually the area is quite large. The first few levels have 5mx5m rooms but that's it. The locking down is superbly annoying though.

But in any case, if you like Doom1/2 and/or Quake1 then Painkiller is a good choice.

Gerrard

Arcane
Paula Tormeson IV said:
energy weapons
recoil
againcg9.jpg

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Paikiller doesn't have realistic physics by any means but if you want a game with a shotgun sending enemies flying, it's a game for you. Or if you want to nail them to a wall with a stakegun.

Castles? Ooooh!
There are castles but not only them, the game is quite retarded (in good meaning of this word... hmm... hardly compute... nevermind) theme park where you visit hellish circus, Venice-like town, mines, opera house, palaces, modern city full of zombies, medieval town where you fight witches, military base, graveyards...

Oh, and an orphanage. God, I loved the orphanage (skip to 2:00 because the beginning shows looking for secrets).

Jim Cojones said:
Paikiller doesn't have realistic physics by any means but if you want a game with a shotgun sending enemies flying, it's a game for you. Or if you want to nail them to a wall with a stakegun.
Well, that sounds exactly like the kind of thing I'm looking for. :cool:

Jim Cojones said:
There are castles but not only them, the game is quite retarded (in good meaning of this word... hmm... hardly compute... nevermind) theme park where you visit hellish circus, Venice-like town, mines, opera house, palaces, modern city full of zombies, medieval town where you fight witches, military base, graveyards...
When I started reading that, my face was again expressionless. Then I slowly began to grin without even noticing it (I noticed at some point), which ended in a crescendo of blood-curdling laughter.

:roll:
An energy weapon would have no recoil for the same reason a flashlight doesn't...

Do you mean a plasma weapon or something? At best it still can't do more then a bullet.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Overweight Manatee said:
An energy weapon would have no recoil for the same reason a flashlight doesn't...
Because energy = light, right? :roll: (and photons have no momentum, and flashlights due fatal damage, right?)

I would think that "plasma weapon" is a sub-category of "energy weapon". Certainly there can be types of energy weapons that cause a bullet-like impact when shot at a target. From Wiki:

Pulsed Energy Projectile or PEP is a technology of non-lethal weaponry currently under development by the U.S. military. It involves the emission of an invisible laser pulse which, upon contact with the target, ablates the surface and creates a small amount of exploding plasma. This produces a pressure wave that stuns the target and knocks them off their feet...

I.C. Wiener

Educated
Mangoose said:
Overweight Manatee said:
Because energy = light, right? :roll: (and photons have no momentum, and flashlights due fatal damage, right?)
What does LASER stand for?

Gerrard

Arcane
The blasters could have recoil, but from what? They apparently shoot energy bullets (plasma?) so they have to be propelled by something other than expanding gases, since they ARE gas, otherwise they'd just dissipate after leaving the barrel.

The plasma rifle in Deus Ex was basically a Gauss gun, using magnets. Funnily enough it still had recoil, even though it shouldn't.

If you want to be pedantic, every weapon is an energy weapon. The only difference is the method by which energy is transferred from the gun to the target.

Now, when most people refer to energy weapons, they refer to lasers. Lasers are essentially flashlights that put out large, short bursts of energy at either visible or invisible wavelengths.

Paula Tormeson IV said:
I would think that "plasma weapon" is a sub-category of "energy weapon". Certainly there can be types of energy weapons that cause a bullet-like impact when shot at a target. From Wiki:

Pulsed Energy Projectile or PEP is a technology of non-lethal weaponry currently under development by the U.S. military. It involves the emission of an invisible laser pulse which, upon contact with the target, ablates the surface and creates a small amount of exploding plasma. This produces a pressure wave that stuns the target and knocks them off their feet...

The distinguishing between what you might call a plasma and an energy weapon is a bit hard to understand. A 'plasma weapon' would be considered something thats shoots plasma towards the target. This PEP weapon is a laser that makes a lot of short laser pulses which ionizes the subject matter, creating plasma. Since the weapon is shooting a laser, it is a laser weapon.

Gerrard said:
The blasters could have recoil, but from what? They apparently shoot energy bullets (plasma?) so they have to be propelled by something other than expanding gases, since they ARE gas, otherwise they'd just dissipate after leaving the barrel.

The plasma rifle in Deus Ex was basically a Gauss gun, using magnets. Funnily enough it still had recoil, even though it shouldn't.

A Gauss gun works be accelerating a projectile forward through the successive use of magnets to pull a magnetic projectile through the barrel. Magnets work both ways, the bullet pushes the barrel back while the barrel pushes the bullet forward.

TNO

Augur
Don't flashlights actually have recoil, even though it is utterly minute? So lasers would also have some (again, puny) recoil too?

Nomask, fyi, 'small arms' includes M4s. And no, they don't send you flying either. Blackhawk Down games have it, though, if you're interested (they also let you shoot technicals with your rifle and they blow up.)

Gerrard

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
A Gauss gun works be accelerating a projectile forward through the successive use of magnets to pull a magnetic projectile through the barrel. Magnets work both ways, the bullet pushes the barrel back while the barrel pushes the bullet forward.
Yeah. But the weight of the gun compared to the weight of the projectile makes this completely negligible.

Overweight Manatee said:
If you want to be pedantic, every weapon is an energy weapon. The only difference is the method by which energy is transferred from the gun to the target.

Now, when most people refer to energy weapons, they refer to lasers. Lasers are essentially flashlights that put out large, short bursts of energy at either visible or invisible wavelengths.

Paula Tormeson IV said:

The distinguishing between what you might call a plasma and an energy weapon is a bit hard to understand. A 'plasma weapon' would be considered something thats shoots plasma towards the target. This PEP weapon is a laser that makes a lot of short laser pulses which ionizes the subject matter, creating plasma. Since the weapon is shooting a laser, it is a laser weapon.
I'm not interested in naming-conventions, yet by your own veiled admission an energy weapon might produce an impact upon hitting the target (as an actually existing developmental energy weapon does).

Gerrard said:
Yeah. But the weight of the gun compared to the weight of the projectile makes this completely negligible.
I'm not familiar with the weapon, but I don't see how it can become completely negligable. Its simple newton's third law, the system of the gun and projectile has to conserve momentum. I'm not sure how much a hand held railgun's projectile would weigh though, since there are no such weapons in existence.

Paula Tormeson IV said:
I'm not interested in naming-conventions, yet by your own veiled admission an energy weapon might produce an impact upon hitting the target (as an actually existing developmental energy weapon does).

Yes... the same impact that you get when you turn on a light in the room.

Overweight Manatee said:
Paula Tormeson IV said:

a pressure wave that stuns the target and knocks them off their feet
Having trouble reading? Or is it a thinking problem? Lemme know and I'll solve it for ya.

Big Nose George

Educated
You are all morons here in this thread but awesome suggestion:

Hitman Series

They fly like, I dont know, electric whatever!

Paula Tormeson IV said:
Overweight Manatee said:
Paula Tormeson IV said:

a pressure wave that stuns the target and knocks them off their feet
Having trouble reading? Or is it a thinking problem? Lemme know and I'll solve it for ya.
Paula Tormeson IV said:
It involves the emission of an invisible laser pulse which, upon contact with the target, ablates the surface and creates a small amount of exploding plasma.

The only impact is of a laser pulse, equivalent to the light a lightbulb emits. The exploding plasma is only created because the light is strong enough to ionize the subject matter and, because it is pulsed, the contractions damage the target. Think of it as the equivalent of the sun's light heating you on a sunny day, except much stronger and intermittently.

Who cares how the pressure wave is created? It's an energy weapon, and the end-product of a hit is as if from a powerful impact. That's what you would see on your monitor screen when you played the game and used the weapon.

Paula Tormeson IV said:
Who cares how the pressure wave is created? It's an energy weapon, and the end-product of a hit is as if from a powerful impact. That's what you would see on your monitor screen when you played the game and used the weapon.

'pressure wave' does not mean a powerful impact. Bullets create pressure waves when they go through your body, their impact is weak. This is even weaker and more localized, since it only affects the surface tissue, whereas a bullet passes through your whole fucking body and carves a huge chunk out of you. And even the bullet doesn't hardly stagger a person, much less knock someone back.

Gerrard

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
Gerrard said:
I'm not familiar with the weapon, but I don't see how it can become completely negligable. Its simple newton's third law, the system of the gun and projectile has to conserve momentum. I'm not sure how much a hand held railgun's projectile would weigh though, since there are no such weapons in existence.
In the case of a railgun, the "recoil" is actually pushing the rails away from each other, sideways, due to the way it works.

However, the concept of EM weapons is that instead of increasing the size of the projectile, they fire very small projectiles at very high speeds. The small mass of the projectile reduces the recoil, but the high speed still allows it to have very high energy.

Secretninja

Cipher
Tasers knock people off their feet by the energy transmitted through impact.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom