Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Single-Player Non-Squad FPS's with "realistic"...

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Far Cry? You mean this superrealistic game where all enemies have telescopic eyesights, and can hit you in the head with a pistol from a distance of, like, ten miles?

Playing it on the hardest difficulty is quite possibly nothing more than sheer masochism.
Or you could just remain prone throughout, and hit people on the head from bushes with a basic assault rifle, while they remain clueless, and it would be the easiest game ever. That's the other extreme of Far Cry.

Once the telescopic sight people shoot you down, and you are forced down the mandatory autoload, you already know where that guy was, and he is as good as dead. In that sense, Far Cry is not hard, but like the typical videogame, which involves mostly petty perseverance in the long run.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Wyrmlord said:
Or you could just remain prone throughout, and hit people on the head from bushes with a basic assault rifle, while they remain clueless, and it would be the easiest game ever. That's the other extreme of Far Cry.

Once the telescopic sight people shoot you down, and you are forced down the mandatory autoload, you already know where that guy was, and he is as good as dead. In that sense, Far Cry is not hard, but like the typical videogame, which involves mostly petty perseverance in the long run.

So, basically, it's popamole with mandatory reload if you're spotted.

Sounds awesome. I bet you'd love Gears of War.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO YOU DONH'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK POPAMOLE IS FARCRY IS GOOD GEARS OF WAR IS POPAMOLE

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO YOU HAVE TOBE CULTURALLY SENSITVIE THE DOT INDIANS DONT ALWAYS GET OUR HUMOR

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
So, basically, it's popamole with mandatory reload if you're spotted.
Of course it is, the game was fun when I was 14. *shrugs*

I grew out of it, and thus I regressed back to straight shooters like Doom.

Darth Roxor said:
Far Cry? You mean this superrealistic game where all enemies have telescopic eyesights, and can hit you in the head with a pistol from a distance of, like, ten miles?
...except this isn't true, even after I take into account the huge exaggeration.

Darth Roxor said:
Playing it on the hardest difficulty is quite possibly nothing more than sheer masochism.
That's true.

starfish

Novice
DraQ said:
starfish said:
But I don't know if the NHS is the best example of what we're talking about, as your Wiki link suggests the perpetrators were on drugs at the time of the heist so any pain stimuli would have been reduced or nullified.
Drugs don't nullify physics.

It's a perfect example for emptying multiple magazines at someone not flinging him around, if there is no armour penetration and if armour prevents blunt force trauma, being shot at produces no effect.

I'm not arguing that drugs nullify physics. With your added qualifier, I'll concur with your statement-- body armor that stops all penetration and dissipates all blunt force trauma would make one unstoppable, yes.

However to my knowledge there is no body armor capable of preventing blunt force trauma to that extent. And even assuming it does exist you aren't going to find it on every grunt wandering around the Chernobyl wasteland.

According to a few anonymous postings by people who supposedly have experience with body armor on active duty, even wearing Dragon-skin, the most sophisticated body armor in production, you'll still get knocked the fuck down from the effects of trauma alone.

The NHS heist occurred in 1997. A 2004 paper that studied the effects of bullet impact on body armor points this out in the abstract:

Baseball impact depths were comparable to bullet-armor impact depths:
Getting shot with a .22 caliber bullet when wearing soft body armor resembles getting hit in the chest with a 40-mph baseball.
Getting shot with a .45 caliber bullet resembles getting hit with a 90-mph baseball.

To my knowledge in the 90s police used Beretta 92s with .355 (9mm) rounds. By interpolation that puts a single impact right up there with getting smacked by a fast pitch at ~65mph. Even with armor, you're going to hurt-- see the photos on that paper. Under repeated gunfire? You'd have to feel that shit and keel over eventually.

That's why I think the drugs gave them a higher pain tolerance than was naturally warranted. The CNN article about the incident even states that one of the guys sustained multiple gunshot wounds (meaning penetration!) yet he was still running around. He later died from those wounds.

Phenobarbital (what they took) has many of the same effects as Valium. Being on the latter myself, the first time I took it I hopped into a scalding hot shower which caused first-degree burns that I didn't feel for several hours after the fact.

If you can show me an example of a sober dude in body armor shrugging off that many hits then I'll believe anything you say about the physics behind it. Given the empirical evidence I just find it hard to fathom that the drugs were irrelevant.

"The plate will take a huge amount of energy from the round and the impact hitting the body is small.It off centers your balance causing you to fall. We had guys get hit 5 or six times and had many broken ribs but continued to fight till we got back on the FAB.It can cause serious problems but if their wear the plate like their supposed to its rare.I have been hit 2 times since be there for my 3 tours and i got right back up and fought,all i had was some bruising no broken bones."

fastpunk

Arbiter
Wyrmlord said:
Darth Roxor said:

Yeah, yeah, great tactic. Only it doesn't do shit when you reach the fuckin indoor part of the game, with all the huggy trigens. God, what a puddle of fail the second part of Far Cry is!

Wyrmlord said:
Darth Roxor said:

Or you could just remain prone throughout, and hit people on the head from bushes with a basic assault rifle, while they remain clueless, and it would be the easiest game ever.
Maybe there are fewer bushes on realistic. How far did you play? In any case, whether they can spot you or not depends on whether they can see you or not: crawling is as good as walking if nothing blocks you from their field of vision, at least on realistic. There are some really fucking difficult outdoor places in the game.

starfish

Novice
Paula Tormeson IV said:
"The plate will take a huge amount of energy from the round and the impact hitting the body is small.It off centers your balance causing you to fall. We had guys get hit 5 or six times and had many broken ribs but continued to fight till we got back on the FAB.It can cause serious problems but if their wear the plate like their supposed to its rare.I have been hit 2 times since be there for my 3 tours and i got right back up and fought,all i had was some bruising no broken bones."

The dude's not the most eloquent, I admit, but he lists a few effects of getting hit--

The plate will take a huge amount of energy from the round and the impact hitting the body is small.It off centers your balance causing you to fall.

Ok, so DS is highly shock absorbent. However

It off centers your balance causing you to fall.

.I have been hit 2 times since be there for my 3 tours and i got right back up and fought,all i had was some bruising no broken bones.

...which is the effect you were looking for, is it not? Someone with armor gets hit, they still go down. This guy's testimonial gives credence to that idea.

Secretninja

Cipher
desocupado said:
Also, someone could try to explain to the lady the difference between momentum and energy, so maybe she understands and stops spewing nonsense.

It is not worth trying, he is simply a high functioning retard incapable of learning.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Autists usually take whatever information fits within their narrow scope as solid truth and treat that which does not as white noise. This thread is as solid proof of that as Nomask/Paula instantly believing Cleve when he claimed all Mexican immigrants have a parasite which lowers their IQ and makes them less hygienic.

starfish said:
If you can show me an example of a sober dude in body armor shrugging off that many hits then I'll believe anything you say about the physics behind it. Given the empirical evidence I just find it hard to fathom that the drugs were irrelevant.

I don't think anyone was saying that you could shrug off bullets like you were an immobile rock. But some blunt force trauma? Pretty much anywhere other then the head is useless. Yes, getting hit in the chest will give you nasty bruises, maybe you might crack a rib. No, those aren't going to stop anyone. At most, it will require some medical care soon and really hurt in the morning.

Hell, even bullets that hit unarmored flesh don't stop people all that much unless they hit the brain and/or central nervous system. Shoot a guy in the arm/leg? You slow him down and make him feel a lot of pain, but in the heat of combat it won't stop him from fighting back outside of the initial shock of "Oh fuck I'm shot". In the meantime, you either have to keep shooting him or you wait until he runs out of blood. Even puncturing a lung, someone can go on fighting for several minutes. Under pressure, adrenaline is nature's own pain nullification.

starfish

Novice
Overweight Manatee said:
starfish said:

I don't think anyone was saying that you could shrug off bullets like you were an immobile rock. But some blunt force trauma? Pretty much anywhere other then the head is useless. Yes, getting hit in the chest will give you nasty bruises, maybe you might crack a rib. No, those aren't going to stop anyone. At most, it will require some medical care soon and really hurt in the morning.

Hell, even bullets that hit unarmored flesh don't stop people all that much unless they hit the brain and/or central nervous system. Shoot a guy in the arm/leg? You slow him down and make him feel a lot of pain, but in the heat of combat it won't stop him from fighting back outside of the initial shock of "Oh fuck I'm shot". In the meantime, you either have to keep shooting him or you wait until he runs out of blood. Even puncturing a lung, someone can go on fighting for several minutes. Under pressure, adrenaline is nature's own pain nullification.

Fair enough. Having never been shot or had my ribs broken, perhaps I'm assuming too much. I have little more to contribute to the matter.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Sweet thread, guys. This place is where legends are born.

Conan bets that he was born here. He doesn't remember, though.

Anyway, OP:

... if only you'd asked for games where the bad guys look like they feel the impacts, without mentioning falling, or the ground! Don't you know how nerd-ery works?! An e-SWAT team was on its way before you even finished that question. Fool.

Conan's answer to such a hypothetical question is twofold:

1) The maligned and always enjoyable Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix. Kill people in style! See their face goop through their hoodie after a headshot! Conan approves. It's the bullet holes that make it realistic.

2) Operation Flashpoint: GOTY Edition - Once heavily modded, watch people react to firepower as they do in real life; like bitches. See them fall over, in pain, rolling on the ground and clutching at their descending entrails! Leave a lengthy blood trail as you drag your badly wounded comrade to safety, only to catch a bullet yourself. One shot, one kill, baby. Conan approves.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Unfortunately FarCry has all the same illnesses as Crysis (with the latter half of the game turning into the corridor). Well it was a tech-demo too.

MetalCraze said:
Unfortunately FarCry has all the same illnesses as Crysis (with the latter half of the game turning into the corridor). Well it was a tech-demo too.

What exactly were the crysis engines a tech demo for? I can think of, like, 1 game that used the cry engine and it was an MMO (Aion). If they were really banking on being able to license the engine then they should have gone under a long time ago, no?

They could easily have cut away the latter half and spliced the first half into two and sold it as one game + (later) expansion pack. I expected it to end after the first couple of episodes, but it just went on and on and on and on and on. Play on realistic.

praetor

Arcane
thread hijack:

has anybody of you fags here ever played the Infiltration mod for the original Unreal Tournament? easily one of the most realistic virtual shooting experiences i've had.

what is your thought on this, oh mighty Codex? does the hivemind approve? or does it hate the lack of bloom?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom