Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Single-Player Non-Squad FPS's with "realistic"...

Trash said:
Sidebox-Child-Soldier-R.jpg
:D

By the way, I played the first chapter and second level of 2nd chapter of Painkiller (the 1st level wasn't available on my difficulty level, which was insomnia). It would be better if the monsters didn't fly around when they die. It's inconsistent when they only fly around when they die.

Otherwise it's an OK game, although I hate the way passages open up only after you've done certain things, such as killed all of the monsters in a suite of rooms.

I have to play it on a harder difficulty next time.

P.S. I also hate how in Q4 you run through self-contained two-way passage complexes and that's it (at least in the beginning). What the hell happened to Doom type level design?

Large levels with nonlinear paths was too confusing for nextgen gamers, and couldn't be loaded onto xbawkz's large 512 megs of memory without a loading screen every other room.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
No, for some reason, game developer mentality is that the game is not fun or challenging without having to unload a large number of bullets on an enemy that can soak it up, before finally falling.

God damn, man, no sane player enjoys seeing the third bullet on a critical part of the body still not killing the enemy.

Sorry, squad FPSes are all that you have for this level of sane simplicity.

DraQ

Arcane
STALKER?

It does not aspire to some greater realism (then again, we are discussing Q4 here, so :roll: ), but ballistic is pretty enjoyable and well placed bullets just kill or incapacitate most enemies outright (now, placing those bullets in the enemy is another thing and many spastic retards find it difficult).

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ballistics in Stalker are retarded just like the rest of the gunplay. Up until Stalker I thought that Makarovs have an effective range higher than 20 meters and that leather jackets can't stop up to 10 bullets from it.
Not mentioning that it requries a whole AK47 clip to put down a SpecOp - guess he wears some force field armor or something.

Add to that that Stalker uses a moronic bullet dispersion "system" from Counter-Strike where bullets fly everywhere but where the gun barrel is pointing. On 5-10 m distances, whereas IRL somewhat noticeable bullet dispersion happens only 100m away

DraQ

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Add to that that Stalker uses a moronic bullet dispersion "system" from Counter-Strike where bullets fly everywhere but where the gun barrel is pointing. On 5-10 m distances, whereas IRL somewhat noticeable bullet dispersion happens only 100m away
Use the sights.

Also, Skyway has been successfully summoned.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I'm afraid that when using the sights it looks even more stupid when you see that bullet decides to fly on a different path the moment it leaves the barrel thanks to tracers.

But what else to expect from guys who can't even do guns right, with shutter being on the left side. Guess that's for stuffing your mouth full with bullet cases when you run'n'gun.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
MetalCraze said:
I'm afraid that when using the sights it looks even more stupid when you see that bullet decides to fly on a different path the moment it leaves the barrel thanks to tracers.

:retarded:

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Actually, my younger cousin was playing a Flash game with amazingly realistic gunplay (what was it called, Warface?)

The only problem was that you had to remain stationery, and could only move through a top down GPS view.

Otherwise, it worked without that fixed crosshair at the center of the screen, and you could point your gun at several different directions to move the crosshair around and make it more or less zoomed in on the enemy.

desocupado

Magister
I usually just lurk here, but I had to post now.

Overweight Manatee, you're one of the most patient human (manatee?) beings I ever seen, I salute You.

Also, someone could try to explain to the lady the difference between momentum and energy, so maybe she understands and stops spewing nonsense.

starfish

Novice
Paula Tormeson IV said:
Kingston said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCzD5uhSViY

Even a .50 cal doesn't send anyone flying backwards.
Cool story bro, but irrelevant. Ever had anyone gently hit you on your shoulder?

Look, I'm no physicist, but even I can tell there's something you're not getting if you're comparing getting tapped on the shoulder to withstanding small-arms rounds.

That said, my understanding is that even with body armor the Terminator you are not. Wearing body armor just slows/stops penetration-- you still get some really nasty fucking bruises at the very least (depending on what hits you and where), and bullets can slip between the plates, so I'm sure you're right in that someone getting shot with a full clip would eventually have to have *some* goddamn reaction. Dragon-skin (tm) is supposedly much better in this regard (lighter, stronger and has overlapping plates) but I have no experience with it.

MetalCraze said:
But what else to expect from guys who can't even do guns right, with shutter being on the left side. Guess that's for stuffing your mouth full with bullet cases when you run'n'gun.

Yeah I really wanted to like STALKER since Fallout 3 sucked so hard but fuck; I've shot off bottle rockets at range with greater accuracy than the guns in that game.

Wyrmlord said:
No, for some reason, game developer mentality is that the game is not fun or challenging without having to unload a large number of bullets on an enemy that can soak it up, before finally falling.

God damn, man, no sane player enjoys seeing the third bullet on a critical part of the body still not killing the enemy.

If you haven't played Far Cry (on realistic), play it. It's a great game, and headshots are always lethal unless the victim is wearing protective head gear (a bit unrealistic, since head-shots aren't nearly always lethal). Also, mutants are a bit more resilient than that, but they don't appear before the research-facility level in the jungle. The length of that game is EPIC, considering that it's more a Thief-game than a Doom-one.

The Wizard

Educated
Paula Tormeson IV said:
and headshots are always lethal unless the victim is wearing protective head gear (a bit unrealistic, since head-shots aren't nearly always lethal).
10/10, did rage quite a lot.

when we are already on the topic of ballistics, any mods for call of pripyat that are worth it? running smrter right now, and mutant cats can take more than 5(five!) 7.62x39s to the head. what the fuck is this shit?

desocupado said:
Overweight Manatee, you're one of the most patient human (manatee?) beings I ever seen, I salute You.

The more accurate term would be not patient, but 'easily trolled'.

starfish said:
That said, my understanding is that even with body armor the Terminator you are not. Wearing body armor just slows/stops penetration-- you still get some really nasty fucking bruises at the very least (depending on what hits you and where), and bullets can slip between the plates, so I'm sure you're right in that someone getting shot with a full clip would eventually have to have *some* goddamn reaction. Dragon-skin (tm) is supposedly much better in this regard (lighter, stronger and has overlapping plates) but I have no experience with it.

Actually, against weaker guns it most certainly does. There was this bank robbery where the robbers came decked out with full military grade body armor and assault rifles. Police were armed with peashooter pistols that did jack shit. They were taken down after an hour of shooting between them and something like 30 police, and only because the police managed to convince a nearby shop owner to give them something a bit more powerful along with some SWAT guys showing up who had their own tools. In the meantime, the police were lucky that some of the robber's own guns jammed and that they got a shot or two into one of the robbers unprotected feet/hands. Quite amazingly though, no civilian or police were killed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout

DraQ

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
Actually, against weaker guns it most certainly does. There was this bank robbery where the robbers came decked out with full military grade body armor and assault rifles. Police were armed with peashooter pistols that did jack shit. They were taken down after an hour of shooting between them and something like 30 police, and only because the police managed to convince a nearby shop owner to give them something a bit more powerful along with some SWAT guys showing up who had their own tools. In the meantime, the police were lucky that some of the robber's own guns jammed and that they got a shot or two into one of the robbers unprotected feet/hands. Quite amazingly though, no civilian or police were killed.

So fucking unrealistic. :x

starfish

Novice
Overweight Manatee said:
starfish said:

Yeah I remember the movie about that. The cops had 9mm Berettas, which, ok, were not meant to go up against military-grade hardware in and of themselves. But PT's question was not "waaah why can't my MP5 penetrate body armor" (nor was that what I was suggesting)-- it was "why wouldn't such a person get knocked down under sustained fire?"

My contribution to the original question was that even with body armor, ballistic physics aside there should still be some component of potentially crippling pain under sustained fire (and, IIRC, it's not like the cops at NHS went to a pawn shop and came out with .50 cals-- they picked up some heavy-hitting slugs used to break bear bones or some shit). But I don't know if the NHS is the best example of what we're talking about, as your Wiki link suggests the perpetrators were on drugs at the time of the heist so any pain stimuli would have been reduced or nullified.

DraQ

Arcane
starfish said:
But I don't know if the NHS is the best example of what we're talking about, as your Wiki link suggests the perpetrators were on drugs at the time of the heist so any pain stimuli would have been reduced or nullified.
Drugs don't nullify physics.

It's a perfect example for emptying multiple magazines at someone not flinging him around, if there is no armour penetration and if armour prevents blunt force trauma, being shot at produces no effect.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Paula Tormeson IV said:
Wyrmlord said:

If you haven't played Far Cry (on realistic), play it. It's a great game, and headshots are always lethal unless the victim is wearing protective head gear (a bit unrealistic, since head-shots aren't nearly always lethal). Also, mutants are a bit more resilient than that, but they don't appear before the research-facility level in the jungle. The length of that game is EPIC, considering that it's more a Thief-game than a Doom-one.
I did play the game. Twice. Second time on Realistic. :P

It's not very consistent. Jumping between indoor levels and outdoor levels feels awkward, more so in a game with an engine most suited for beautiful outdoor exteriors.

Moreso the whole mutant thing which turns every Far Cry fan away from a game that they otherwise enjoy so much. But my god, when I had reinstalled it recently, I was amazed by how well guns worked in it, that when a bullet from a pistol hits a man's chest, you feel you have severely injured him, and caused great harm. It's like the chest banged open from the precise bullet wound, and I think two shots on the chest took normals down.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Far Cry? You mean this superrealistic game where all enemies have telescopic eyesights, and can hit you in the head with a pistol from a distance of, like, ten miles?

Playing it on the hardest difficulty is quite possibly nothing more than sheer masochism.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom