Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News SKALD: Against the Black Priory Teaser Trailer

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Joyvankek
Have you tried out the demo? What story agenda has been pushed down your throat in the game? Can you cite examples?

This still intrigues me on the original skald site:

Editor-Test.gif

Editor-Bridge.png

The editor. Man. Nothing tastes so sweet as editors. There are times I wish all games had editors to play with the game or create new areas. For me this falls back to early Electronic Arts when several of their games had editors (even platformers like Ultimate Wizard).

ScholarFaust

Barely Literate
The issue as always - are not the "politics of the creator" - but rather if his ideology made it into his creation itself, and how strongly, and what exactly did.

Overall, i think that i missed or don't remember previous posts on this game. Call me moderately interested.
This is my view as well. I despise slacktivism as much as the next sane person, however as long as the game's writing and world isn't inundated with that malarkey, I don't particularly care. After playing the prologue, I can't really say there was anything I saw that warranted trepidation.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I never saw anything like that in the game itself and I tend to test builds before they're released to the public. If I noticed anything like that, I'd be hammering on the dev's door that same instant, but fortunately it never happened. I'm sure everyone on the team understands that what matters is creating a great game, and there were no discussions about bringing in some sort of a message, at least none that I'm aware of, 'cause if it would happen I'd be the first to vote against it.

Repressed Homosexual
Haven't you guys learned by now? 99.99% of game developers are hopeless liberals.

Think about it: only profoundly maladjusted loser would waste all his time in a tedious, badly paid and unrewarding job like that of a game developer. Someone with strong values who is not a degenerate will become a lawyer, a doctor, an accountant, or another respectable position.

You're all going to settle for games from liberal developers who are gracious enough not to rub their liberalism in our faces.

jackofshadows

Magister
The visuals are passable as far as pixel art go I guess so the game still might be good despite it or the fact the dev is a tranny or something but to unironically praise the looks? Wtf is wrong with you guys?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I can't imagine going all frenzy autism over part of the title because it has "black" in it.

There have been more than a few games using that color to denote dark, evil, sinister.

I have no idea the team's politics and don't give a damn, so long as it isn't thrust into the game.

Sounds like some of you are faggy spazzes who shat their pants and are crying like bitches imho.

No one should listen to HHR as he's more fucking retarded than Maximus. A closeted faggot who spreads his rage to others because he failed in life so bad.

Here's hoping there is zero agenda/politics (as per the autists trying to predict) in the actual game.

Joyvankek

Learned
Joyvankek
Have you tried out the demo? What story agenda has been pushed down your throat in the game? Can you cite examples?

This still intrigues me on the original skald site:

Editor-Test.gif

Editor-Bridge.png

The editor. Man. Nothing tastes so sweet as editors. There are times I wish all games had editors to play with the game or create new areas. For me this falls back to early Electronic Arts when several of their games had editors (even platformers like Ultimate Wizard).
Will check it out, won't judge this game before hand, especially since they provided us with demo.

Btw. Just to clarify since Codex'. My initial post is not directed directly at devs of Skald. Just general feel about developers with certain ideology, and what "games" made by them are like majority of time.

nlfortier

Esturia Games
Developer
The visuals are passable as far as pixel art go I guess so the game still might be good despite it or the fact the dev is a tranny or something but to unironically praise the looks? Wtf is wrong with you guys?
The pixel art looks amazing to me. The illustrations for the story screens look especially nice. These sorts of illustrations are extremely difficult and time consuming to make. The artists have clearly put a lot of work into this.
iu

jackofshadows

Magister
The pixel art looks amazing to me. The illustrations for the story screens look especially nice. These sorts of illustrations are extremely difficult and time consuming to make. The artists have clearly put a lot of work into this.
First, no one cares about how difficult or time consuming the process was, what matters is the result (and yeah, I'm aware that it can be extremely time consuming).

Second, I've no idea what's so amazing about that particular artwork. For reference of good pixel art imo see, say, QfG3.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
QFG3 us different type of game dude. I suppose you believe Realms of Quest 5 for the Vic 20 was utter crap too.

No one cares about the effort just the result? That is a rather large blanket statement to lump everyone. Other programmers, artists, and game creators may very well care about the process and difficulty. For some creators they find it a challenge.

jackofshadows

Magister
I suppose you believe Realms of Quest 5 for the Vic 20 was utter crap too.
Yes but the very important nuance is that it was made for an entirely different platform. For which it may be top-tier(I'm not familiar with it). This however is a PC game we're talking about.
For some creators they find it a challenge.
Sure why not but I meant gamers.
Quest for Glory 3 and the other VGA Sierra games from that era did not use pixel art. Those were scanned drawings/paintings.
Like I said, the method isn't important. The point is that it looked great while this looks NOT great. But all right, maybe not the best reference since qfg3 is an old game. How about Heroine's quest or Quest for Infamy. Anything that contains beautiful pixel art, doesn't really matter.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The context is that this game started out as a straightforward 1980s 8-bit retro Ultima clone and then gradually became fancier, so it looks really cool relative to that baseline.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
Then it's a wrong baseline to begin with. I kinda get why Ultima fans are excited - that's the whole appeal of these nostalgia scratch games but I just call it as I see it.

Say if someone'd announce a M&M6 clone with the same pathetic sprites over ugly-ass 3d environment I, as a M&M fan still wouldn't be happy about that particular aspect at all.

jackofshadows

Magister
In general, yes. It certainly has it moments even in that regard (Alamos I'd say for instance) and I still love the game but 3d environment mostly just fucking sucks/sprites aren't pretty enough and the combination of them makes it kinda even less than their sum.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Game looks absolutely amazing, I guess half the people in this thread never owned a C64. It does the "modernised C64++" aesthetics perfectly. It's one of the most anticipated games for me personally.

I couldn't care less about the devs' "politics", whatever that means. Imagine being so hyper-sensitive that you can't enjoy a game or a piece of art made by someone who has different views than yours...

jackofshadows

Magister
Get some standarts, people. It's not 80s out there anymore. luj1 you especially, friendo. Falling for shit just because it has resemblance with something from youth or whatever. At least be honest with yourself and others while you're at it. Fucking disgrace.

Here's another reference - that scamware, Stoneshard. Now that game project has some reeeeally juicy pixel art, compare it to this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom