Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim - Bethesda, you should be very, very proud.

crufty

Arcane
So I am here thinking, yah yah enemies are all the same

then I get ass raped by a will-o-wisp

And all dungeons are the same. And yet, the note signed "a friend" brings me to a location that so far, has not met with genric dunngeon expectations. First, it's some kind of cistern. The snow is blizzard conditions. My horse snorts impatiently as I creep down it's snowy stairway, enter. Ahh, the remains of a dead adventurer lie at the feet of a skeleton sitting on a throne.

Yoink, read the journal. Who fears the buried dead, eh? hmm, skeleton on throne... pthunk....critical strike, mr king skeleton slinks to floor. Tis what I thought.

Slinking down the Nautral cavern, I see...oh, three caves. choose one. Linear? Maybe. Maybe not.

I enter the chamber of cave one....I now have a habit of shooting all cadavers I see. Pthunk. Crit strike. Pthunk. Crit strike. Now, the caves are no longer rough hewn rock, but actual mortar. I slink along, ruined pillars jut out of the ground. There is some kind of pully system on the ceiling. The lone candelabra, still lit, swings.

I see a restless undead. I notch an arrow on my trusty elven bow, zoom in. The zombie mutters..."crufty let's watch dexter"

What?

"come on, dexter's on turn that geeky stuff off"

Oh. The wife has claimed dominance on the tv.

And it dawns on me...how many people are playing this game on tiny monitors? My tv is not gigantic but it is healthy. The detail in the ps3 version is pretty good, and it takes up my field of view with the lights off. The sound, spooky echoes and atmospheric wind keep me on edge.

crufty

Arcane
hiver said:
fun read.

Nice post.

There are some gameplay items that could be improved with skyrim, but so far, I have not seen much that is out and out wrong.

A plus: I beat the snot out of an uppity argonian innkeeper for the guild. Ill take that 100gp, grift for the grift master. Result? Now, whenever I go there, which is often, because a patron hangs out on the second floor, her boyfriend follows me around and tells me to gtfo. Which makes it hard to change their ledger, because I'm also running a numbers game and the guild really has it out for this chick.

Now...could be better. The boyfriend still talks to me about his engagement ring, which is strange, because I just beat the snot out of his would be fiancée. So, room for improvement, yes.

Overall.

There is a lot to pay attention to. Lots of little details and things--not cutscenes, not csi jrpg obvious is obvious monologues, but actual vignettes and objects that tie stories together. They aren't popamole check me out obvious, which might be what some folks are reacting to. But they are nice all the same.

flushfire

Augur
Selling items one at a time increases Speech skill more than selling the whole bunch

150 Steel Arrows :x

DraQ

Arcane
shiggidyshwa said:
What I meant by 'rolling stats' is the traditional method of putting points into attributes. I don't know if there's an agreed upon term for that in these forums.
Well, rolling is generally reserved for when the stats are randomized in some way - as in rolling dice.

I think you're right in that there has to be some downside to switching your character's class at any point during the game. I guess to me, that's present in the grind factor. Even as a mid-level mage, if I suddenly wanted to switch to warrior, wouldn't it mean going back to hours of grinding the novice weapons before getting better? I might become a powerful warrior mage in the end but at the cost of hours of repeated gameplay.

Lore-wise, I'm okay with the idea that one class can choose to learn another skill set. I know not everyone is, and to each his/her own. Theoretically, all characters have a natural disposition towards one play style or another in their back story. Does that mean, for example, that a stock broker can't switch careers to plastic surgery at 40? I'm not sure. It sounds like an impossible thing to do, but it's probably happened. It'd be nice if that could also possibly happen in these kinds of games, with a huge learning curve thrown in for good measure.
Emphasis mine. Ask another question - can you, even theoretically become a plastic surgeon by just taking up tools and practising on people with no prior knowledge?

No, you need some serious education first.

The thing with education is that it would make for some seriously boring gameplay, and that's the purpose of building your character before even starting the game's proper - to determine what kind of skills your character has learned to the level he can use them with any degree of success. Lvl1 character isn't a newborn, he should have some abilities he can rely on enough to take up adventuring.

Therefore, the question is not whether a character should be able to develop another skillset (of course!), the question is how can he gain beginner skill level in this new set of skills.

In Morrowind the system was flawed (in full accordance with bethesdian customs), but most skills were practically useless in 5-15 range and only marginally useful in 15-30 range. Building your level 1 character generally consisted of choosing your own mixture of truly and marginally useful skills, or picking a pre-made template in the form of existing class. Therefore lvl1 mage was far better mage than any level warrior wanting to respec because the latter could at best pay for a custom spell to be made that could only be used as cigarette lighter (in exceptionally dry weather), and would fail at casting it 9 of 10 times anyway.

IF he persevered, or paid for multiple sessions of training he could become an aspiring low level wizard in addition to his warrior skillset.

Vault Dweller said:
Grunker said:
but I did cast fireballs at the walls in DF and it took a long time to level up a skill. So long (if memory serves me right) that it actually felt like practicing a skill, not exploiting a system.

You seriously think doing this is a good game mechanic?

The problem isn't the fact that you can make daggers and level up. The problem is the speed. If you can gain 20 skill levels in under a minute, something is fucking wrong, don't you think?

Wait, shit, the above was just a snide remark, but you actually DO think it's a good game mechanic? Holy fuck... So the solution to a shitty system - SPAM-TO-INCREASE - is making it require MORE spam? O_o

In my humble opinion, increase-by-use systems are a valid and interesting alternative to point-buy systems. They were successfully used in games like Dungeon Master, Wizardry, Prelude to Darkness, Stonekeep, etc.

These systems, aiming to give you a more natural and realistic skill progression, invite you to practice the skills (the same way point-buy systems invite you to do every quests and kill things just to earn XPs). Both systems can be abused, but it's a lot easier to abuse the increase-by-use systems (which explains why Bethesda can't get it right).

Practicing spells and abilities out of combat is an integrate part of the system. Not only it's to be expected but it's also logical, considering the system's goals. If anything, it's better than doing a dumb fedex quest or helping some villagers just to gain a fucking level (ToEE comes to mind). If the skill growth rate is well balanced and the mechanics are well thought through, it's never an issue.

Use based systems are good, but the problems start when skill can used repeatedly at no cost. The cost can be time, if in game the time is valuable in some manner, or it can be a resource of some sort.

There should also be a mechanics that prevents indefinite levelling by repeating simple task after this task can be considered simple.

What's really missing though is an organic way to use crafting - i.e. repairing equipment.
True.

Vault Dweller said:
DraQ said:
Vault Dweller said:
Silver or better
Key word here. Morrowind at least blurred material progression and made it somewhat interesting. In DF any individual properties of different materials were eclipsed by the or better forcing you to seek upgrade required to hit something regardless of any individual properties materials could have.
"Forcing to seek" is a bad thing in a game like Fallout, but a good thing in a huge sandbox game. It fuels exploration like nothing else and was done well (imo) overall. They didn't go overboard with the numbers of enemies that required high end metals so the game was fairly open but you had to run from certain encounters and couldn't explore certain places. Design-wise, it was very similar to DnD "weapon +X" requirement for certain monsters.
Which is as shit as it gets when random +n weapons start dropping everywhere to be used on unspecific monsters.

They simply replaced it with metals.
Losing all the sense and sacrificing everything cool that could be made with metals on the way.

Enchanted weapon may be easier to hit stuff with. Mundane weapon, even from non-mundane material is just something you swing.

And, since you replace arbitrary +n notation with specific materials, you might as well drop the rigid linear progression and focus on giving different materials different properties instead.

Daggerfall FAILED EPICALLY in this regard.

Is it not how it's supposed to be? You keep playing long enough, you'll get the equipment you need, including unique items. Kind of like in Diablo 2.
No, it's not how it's supposed to be. Diablo 2's MMO-lite mechanics was glaring, with all the undesirable effects like repeatedly raiding bosses for phat lewt.

Diablo 1 is a much better role model, because stuff that dropped actually mattered in given playthrough. You didn't have guarantee of finding your ultimate dream set of lewt.

Even an open world generated and resetting RPG should have limited amount of superb quality stuff lying around, requiring player to hunt it down actively, not visit the same or random locations repeatedly and pick up whatever falls out of first 10 mobs (or making a beeline to a respawning boss).

villain of the story said:
Oh, btw, Fallout 3 & FNV are turn-based. You open VATS, enemies stop. When you're done with VATS, they commence. Sounds like taking turns to me.

Ok, that's it.

DU, could you please DUMBFUCK!! this gentleman?

MCA
What's wrong, DraQ? Can't you stand to face your own fucked up reasoning?

attackfighter said:
the enemies continue attacking while you're using vats you know

No, they don't. Enemies "continue" doing whatever they do after you're done issuing orders in VATS. You can't interfere with the game and give new commands once you hit done, but enemies can. You open VATS, game world pauses. You're done with VATS, you watch what happens passively. If that isn't turn-based, I don't know what is.

That is, in DraQ's own personal universe where context have no meaning.

Majestic47

Learned
Different Metals doing different things - ....holy shit. If that's not an awesome idea for a mod, I don't know what is.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
DraQ said:
And, since you replace arbitrary +n notation with specific materials, you might as well drop the rigid linear progression and focus on giving different materials different properties instead.
Like?

Project: Eternity
attackfighter said:

No, they don't. Enemies "continue" doing whatever they do after you're done issuing orders in VATS. You can't interfere with the game and give new commands once you hit done, but enemies can. You open VATS, game world pauses. You're done with VATS, you watch what happens passively. If that isn't turn-based, I don't know what is.
I hope you don't actually believe what you are saying right now.
VATS is fucking... Jagged Alliance. It's fucking Temple of Elemental Evil. Fuck ALL logic, VATS = "Fallout 3 is turn-based!"
By those fucking standards, Skyrim is turnbased. You open the menu, pause the game, and chug potions, and then after you've chugged your potions, you've taken your tuuuurn ^_^!

Majestic47

Learned
malko_sundervere said:
attackfighter said:

VATS is fucking... Jagged Alliance. It's fucking Temple of Elemental Evil. Fuck ALL logic, VATS = "Fallout 3 is turn-based!"
By those fucking standards, Skyrim is turnbased. You open the menu, pause the game, and chug potions, and then after you've chugged your potions, you've taken your tuuuurn ^_^!

...lol. Hit the nail right on the head. I was thinking, why should I even press hot keys and over-consume when I can just hit Q. watch the red bar fill up and resume combat?

MCA
malko_sundervere said:
attackfighter said:

Of course not. I'm only applying DraQist reasoning for laughs.

The DraQist problem with that argument is that you never stop having complete control to make a parallel. VATS analogy works because there is the execution phase which you can't interrupt or interfere and have to watch and wait for it to end hence turn-based. There is definitely a sequential order of things there to call it turn-based, devoid or ignorant of a context and established terminology but is that what turn-based means as an established term for a certain type of game type? Of course not.

However, that's not what the gentlewoman who would like me to be dumbfucked would have you believe.

DraQ

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
DraQ said:
Like?
Like weight, durability, exclusive ability to hurt specific creatures or being extra effective against specific creatures (like silver is much more effective against werewolves in BM), different enchant capacity, possibly different min and max damage modifiers and so on.

An important thing here is to make those all traits non correlated, for example in Morrowind glass weapons were light and had high damage potential, but pitiful durability and enchant capacity, but that's still not enough, although Morrowind was a decent first step. A good material system should yield materials that are truly diverse, not just better or worse, same as with good weapon system and weapons, good character system and builds and so on. Removal of +n gradation bullshit that naturally orders materials from worst to best really helps here.

Of course not. I'm only applying DraQist reasoning for laughs.
More like your own butthurt reasoning for derps.

Vats or inventory access isn't turn based, because you're not taking turns with enemy using the system, nor there is turn succession unless you larp it.

Wielding two weapons at once, however IS dual wielding, no matter how you look at it.

Or do you think that rapier and main gauche isn't dual wielding, because they don't allow you to swing twice as much for double damage?

flushfire said:
Selling items one at a time increases Speech skill more than selling the whole bunch

You have to agree that arguing about the price of each arrow with the shopkeeper would make you learn something about bargaining

"See this one? A splinter, right here. I can pay no more than 1 coin for it"

"Okay. Ah, this one is smooth as a baby's bottom. See for yourself."

"An argonian baby, you mean. I give you 1 coin for that"

"Yay! Okay, now for the 43th one. Polished tip, quality stuff."

"1 coin"

"Fuck yes"

Stinger said:
What? No, all it would do is piss off the shopkeeper for wasting his time and he'd just never sell/buy things from you again. I mean, only a troll would haggle over the price of every single arrow.

Trolls are known for having high Speech. :troll:

edit: uh. baleeted. Well, I'm still leaving it here :godimsomadtheyremovedthissmiley:

iqwerty

Novice
- get quest (NPC: go do shit!)
- go to dungeon
- take everything that has some value
- go to store and sell
- go to npc to end the quest (NPC: Omg you saved the universe! You are now the king of the world!)
- repeat

this is 90% of the game

RPGMaster

Savant
iqwerty said:
- go to dungeon
- go to store and sell
- go to npc to end the quest (NPC: Omg you saved the universe! You are now the king of the world!)
- repeat

this is 90% of the game

Isn't that 100% of RPGs? :smug:

Gord

Arcane
RPGMaster said:
iqwerty said:
- go to dungeon
- go to store and sell
- repeat

this is 90% of the game

Isn't that 100% of RPGs? :smug:

Indeed, everything else is just the icing.

kris

Arcane
flushfire said:

I was under the impression that cost influence skill gain. I always got my level ups when selling expensive stuff.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I still don't get why anyone would bother increasing Speech. I mean, it's pretty inane since gold is infinite. People might argue that 'but there's merchant gold limit!' but come on, there's a goddamn carriage outside town that takes you to all major cities that has over 2000 gold each to buy up your stuff. And that's why I justified a rich merchant mod is probably fair addition.

All in all, it was a pointless feature as usual. You can even wait for the gold to resupply if you want, so yeah, unintentional level up from selling items should be removed.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
RK47 said:
I still don't get why anyone would bother increasing Speech. I mean, it's pretty inane since gold is infinite. People might argue that 'but there's merchant gold limit!' but come on, there's a goddamn carriage outside town that takes you to all major cities that has over 2000 gold each to buy up your stuff. And that's why I justified a rich merchant mod is probably fair addition.

All in all, it was a pointless feature as usual. You can even wait for the gold to resupply if you want, so yeah, unintentional level up from selling items should be removed.

It's normal for the speech skill to be useless in an Elder Scrolls game. Standard protocol.

DraQ

Arcane
Dragonbreak or how Skyrim broke dragon

:what:

You guys weren't joking.

I mean the interface.

It looked horrible on the screenshots, but the real thing, good gods.

:retarded:

And I thought Witcher 2 interface was atrocious.

This is. I don't. Know.

It's a fucking crime against humanity. I don't even. I mean seriously. Why.

On the upside there seems to be some actual art design and atmosphere in this game, characters can be recognized as people, not rotten potatoes, different races have their unique looks and the beginning, despite stiff dialogue didn't make me cringe unlike retarded durrhurr of oblivious.

However, after the most epic battle in history of my gaming hobby I need to rest. I mean seriously, no boss, no encounter has ever been as hard on me as trying to make menus do what I wanted them to in Skyrim. I think I'll just wait for a complete interface overhaul or something. Even a console based interface, a command line, would be better, and I really wish I was joking.
Fuck, Blender is better and more user friendly when it comes to the interface. Also, why can't I properly look at my character in game?
What the bloody fuck?

Oh, the game seems way better optimized than oblivious, by the way. The dynamic snow, although a gimmick, doesn't look bad either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom