Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Skyrim DLC Dragonborn Released on PC

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim; Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: Dragonborn

The latest Skyrim DLC, Dragonborn, has been released on the PC after having been an Xbox exclusive for some time. It takes place on the island of Solstheim off the coast of Morrowind, and as such is supposed to pander to your Morrowind nostalgia. Whether it does a good job of that, is up for you to decide. One thing that's for certain is that it is rather hefty in size and more akin to a proper expansion than your regular DLC.

Anyway, you can grab it here. Even though I didn't particularly enjoy Skyrim, I have to say I'm rather tempted by this DLC's morrowindness.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I couldn't stand Oblivion and thought that Skyrim was pretty meh - all the hiking got really stale after 15 or so hours. Is Morrowind different enough that I will enjoy it? Is there any point in trying?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I got it. I just started playing it but I'm gonna finish up some Legion quests before I dive into it. I could write a little something about it.

Oesophagus

Arcane
I'm mildly considering playing skyrim, but I can't shake the feeling of feedng the monster that I hate.

hiver

Well, i avoided the main quest and guild quests as much as i could, (did thief and mage quests - unfortunately), removed location markers from compass, climbed every peak on the map and walked through the rest so i guess some more trekking, sightseeing and jumping to mountain peaks cant hurt.... nah, i cant bring myself to do it.
Oh well, maybe... im bored out of my scull anyway.
And i see my distrubotor already has it... might do it for sightseeing and postcard screenshots.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I couldn't stand Oblivion and thought that Skyrim was pretty meh - all the hiking got really stale after 15 or so hours. Is Morrowind different enough that I will enjoy it? Is there any point in trying?

Morrowind is miles better than Oblivious. Much more interesting lore, no quest compass, and many good mods. I'm sure DraQ will elaborate on this matter more ;).

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
The little I played of it so far is more of the same. I like some of the new music in it and they reused some old Morrowind music as well. Some of the new enemies are fairly challenging. Some dungeons are quite big I visited so far. Seeing Dunmer architecture again is nice. Writing is horrible as usual.

Depends on why you disliked the other two. It's still a (good) hiking simulator with fairly uninteresting NPCs and clicka clicka first person combat. Since you're using a TNO avatar I assume you value story. The story and lore is more interesting, but nothing that will make you anxious to come home to play and see what happens next - it's something to give a meaning to the exploration, not the focus. If Skyrim didn't seem the least interesting I can't really say whether you'll enjoy MW, but nowadays it's dirt cheap anyway so you might as well try it (Morrowind and its two expansions are cheaper than the build-a-house-and-adopt-kids expansion for Skyrim). You might not like it but you won't feel you wasted your money on a shit game.

Indranys

Savant
The lore bro.
IMO TES lore is one of the best in videogames.
And Morrowind integrates the lore perfectly into a lot of quests, events, characters, and stuffs.
Lorewise, Morrowind is the best TES game, the most immersive one.
But of course the battle is meh, but at least is not tedious.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Depends on why you disliked the other two. It's still a (good) hiking simulator with fairly uninteresting NPCs and clicka clicka first person combat. Since you're using a TNO avatar I assume you value story. The story and lore is more interesting, but nothing that will make you anxious to come home to play and see what happens next - it's something to give a meaning to the exploration, not the focus. If Skyrim didn't seem the least interesting I can't really say whether you'll enjoy MW, but nowadays it's dirt cheap anyway so you might as well try it (Morrowind and its two expansions are cheaper than the build-a-house-and-adopt-kids expansion for Skyrim). You might not like it but you won't feel you wasted your money on a shit game.
Thanks. I already have Morrowind Gold Edition (it was in a gaming mag a few years ago), so no money spending is involved, but I tend to lose a lot of time getting into these games (2 hour-long character generation is not an exaggaration), so I thought I'd ask before jumping in.

I disliked Oblivion and Skyrim because I did not really get any sense of exploration from these games. There was a lot of content in them, but it felt generic and uninteresting. I do not necessarily need great plot - I enjoyed Gothic 1/2 and Risen (and their plots were nothing special), but I guess I like to feel rewarded for getting deeper into the game, either plot-wise or exploration-wise. Gothics and Risen had hand-crafted worlds and it made a huge difference.

Giskard

Augur
I will be interested to see if Beth are still on the (admittedly, very very gradual) path of :incline:. So will probably head for the hills in the near future.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Won't be the same without political conflicts, racism, stagnation, living gods and so on, but...
fuckyeah, sujamma. :avatard:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The little I played of it so far is more of the same. I like some of the new music in it and they reused some old Morrowind music as well. Some of the new enemies are fairly challenging. Some dungeons are quite big I visited so far. Seeing Dunmer architecture again is nice. Writing is horrible as usual.
I just started Dawnguard (been trying to get into it but I had no save file to load up and so had to play a bunch to even reach the new content). Sure, Skyrim had dumb writing, but it was short and to the point, and aside from some of the questlines being completely retarded, you could avoid most of the stupidity.

But holy crap, Dawnguard is just... well, it's amazing.

So even though it's never ever mentioned at all before you install the DLC (of course), you start hearing rumors about vampires, and eventually someone tells you to go join the Dawnguard to fight them. Okay, cool. Never heard of the Dawnguard before, nobody's ever mentioned them, and it's not clear where they get their weapons, armor, people and other resources, but let's roll with it. Same goes for the recent rise in vampire attacks. Not sure what they're talking about - the vampires have always been in that cave just 2 minutes' walk from town, and no matter how many times I kill them, more always seem to come back after exactly 72 hours. But hey, these guys are vampire-hunting experts, I'll take their word for it.

So you go to their huge castle out in the middle of nowhere, which is somehow well maintained, full of people, and yet also completely unknown to anyone else in the world (DLC syndrome), and the first thing that happens?

800px-SR-place-Fort_Dawnguard.jpg

Well, I understand how we could have missed this before. Or why it was abandoned until recently. Not like there are plenty of Jarls out in Skyrim who are living in defenseless shacks or anything.

You see the Dawnguard leader being a dick to some Vigilant because he didn't believe vampires were a real threat (yeah, NPCs cannot into genre awareness as usual). Then the Vigilant says all his friends were killed, and the Dawnguard leader tells him he's sorry, even though immediately before-hand he was calling the guy a wimp and a coward. So then he turns to you, you have a 3-line dialogue where he basically says "we're vampire hunters!" and then he immediately sends you out to some cave to investigate vampire activity, without any character development (other than "this guy is an asshole"), with no training whatsoever, and no backup. Yeah, great idea.

Of course, you wander alone into this lair of vampires and slaughter them horribly. Then you find a gigantic puzzle in a gigantic chamber. You press a button, and a spike stabs you through the hand, and then the EXTREMEness of it activates a magical seal of some sort. You push some more buttons and a "stone monolith" rises up, opening to reveal... uh, a sexy vampire lady who talks like an 18 year old from a contemporary American city and has cleavage, just because (I think this is Besthesda's completely-not-heavy-handed way of making you sympathetic towards vampires). Despite apparently being imprisoned beneath the ground inside a monolith for thousands of years, you don't even have the option to ask "who the fuck are you? why the fuck are you here? why were you inside that monolith? why should I trust you? why do you have a goddamn Elder Scroll on your back? what does it do? oh my god, are you okay? what the fuck?" Nope, you've just gotta go along with it.

Come to think of it, why were the vampires in that cave? Why were they trying to get to the vampire lady? Did they seal her in there in the first place? So was she like a prisoner? Or were they guarding her? Wait, if she's a vampire and I'm a mortal, why doesn't she kill me like all the other vampires? Quite the coincidence that we only just stumbled across them, even though since she's been there thousands of years, it could have been, you know, pretty much any other time in recorded history.

Oh, and then gargoyles attack you because why not. Nobody's ever seen them before in the land of Cyrodiil (at least without spending 20 jewgolds), but they're just hanging out waiting for you to walk by and you can be sure you'll have killed 500 of them by the end of it. Wait a second, so are the gargoyles the guards? Or are they just monsters? How did they get there? Why are they there? Do they hunt mortals? But then why do they attack the vampire lady too? So are they the minions of vampires or not? I'm so foncused.

So then she decides to follow you as an immortal companion wherever you go, for pretty much no reason, until you take her back to her "home." This "home" is actually a massive, ancient castle that's nearly as large as a goddamn city and is clearly visible from the northern shoreline of the game world from almost any angle and distance... so of course, nobody's ever heard of it, mentioned it before, or been there. Of course not (DLC syndrome)! You take a boat inside and the vampires just let you in for no real reason (and your other follower if you have one, who of course nobody acknowledges), and then you learn there's some bad blood (HAW HAW) between the sexy vampire girl and her not so sexy bearded father.

800px-SR-place-Castle_Volkihar.jpg

Inconspicuous, no?

Then he offers you a choice: either run the fuck away and never return (because vampires who raise humans like cattle, eat people alive, and can be seen literally gorging themselves on human remains at a banquet table, clearly have a sense of honor). This, of course, despite the fact that there is nothing stopping you from, say, reporting the GIGANTIC CITADEL OF EVIL FULL OF MAN-EATING VAMPIRES to, say, every single Jarl in Skyrim (except of course the designers' laziness to add a few more dialogue lines or unwillingness to let you do anything that makes sense), and that you're part of the Dawnguard, aka the order that was created specifically to destroy their kind.

Well, obviously I decided to become a vampire, because so far all I know about the Dawnguard is that they're righteous pussies lead by a giant asshole, and they didn't even give me any training, direction or perks except a crossbow with a quiver of bolts (and I had to ask some random underling for that), so the alternative side has to be better, right? Well, then the head vampire gives me "his blood", and he does so by... biting me. Uh, what? I played Bloodlines, I'm pretty sure that I have to bite the vampire, not the other way around.

I come to inside a dungeon area with "human cattle" and a magic blood fountain just sitting there for me. He explains to me, using a bad accent and reading dialogue that sounds like it came straight out of an instruction manual, how to use my new Vampire Lord powers, which includes "using two types of magic that only do one thing each, but only when you're flying because the designers couldn't figure out a way to let you toggle between them in any way that made sense, oh and of course you can't really fly, just float 6 inches off the ground."

Oh, didn't I tell you? Yeah, it turns out that Vampire Lords are totally a different kind of vampire. They have, uh, much stronger blood in them! Which despite needing to be cultivated and strengthened over centuries, you can absorb pretty much instantly. These Vampire Lords have access to special magic that nobody has ever really documented before (actually they're the same powers that any random mage or vampire gets, but don't tell them that), and they can also transform into their "true forms" in addition to having the usual weakness to sunlight and need to feed.

And it looks like this:

VampireLord.png

:what:

So anyway, then the head vampire tells me, the newest and obviously completely trustworthy initiate who only just got the powers about 30 seconds ago and was given a crash course in Vampire Lord-ism, to talk to some other elven vampire guy. He comes across like a fop, as all elves do. I tell him "it is time." This apparently is enough for him to know that I need to take the Blood-something Chalice, the most sacred and awesome artifact the vampires have, and fill it in some Blood-something cave which has a water spring that looks like blood. And it's magic blood-water!

This stuff makes vampires (or just Vampire Lords?) much stronger. Of course, there are a few questions. Where did this chalice come from? What about that blood-water? If the vampires are so powerful why do they need it? Was it another gift from Molag Bal? If so, why didn't they use it before? Don't the vampires insult Molag Bal by just waiting thousands of years to use their gift to take over the world? Isn't Molag Bal like, the god of violence and brutality? Why did they wait so long to do the work of his they obviously must love and believe in? Why do they trust their new initiate with such an obviously important and monumental task? Do they want to fuck it up and lose their Vampire Lord perks? Are there dialogue options where I can pose these questions to the NPCs and get answers, or even hand-waves? I'll leave the mystery for you to find out! (the answer is no)

I haven't played any more since that point, but suffice to say, the narrative is engaging and water-tight. Not a plot hole or single iota of derp to be found. I can't wait to continue the epic adventure and learn more.

So basically what I'm saying is that I have very high hopes for the Dragonborn DLC.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Didn't they already do a Vampire DLC with Morrowind? They ran out of ideas?
He's talking about Dawnguard, the previous DLC. The new one is about a dragon priest in Solstheim or something.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Dawnguard has some great visuals and locations, and also a fight where two dragons rise from a frozen lake and fly around, sometimes bathing in it's icy waters before going for you again.
Other than that - a yawnfest.
It also had, like, lot's of new stuff about falmer - falmer armor, and weapons, and NPC, and books about falmer, and a lot of falmer in caves.

At some point where I had to perform some falmer ritual I had to go through falmer plains, and falmer lake, and falmer caves, falmer village, and then again falmer caves...
...I wanted to shoot myself in a foot with daedric bow.

hiver

Ive read that dlc was hated and ridiculed even by bethdrones.

Regdar

Arcane
I was kinda half-expecting "grab it here" to link to the pirate bay.

Shame on you for not delivering.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Dawnguard was indeed banal shit boring. Some of the new lore is explained in books, but most of it is just a series of retcons and new additions that only kind of sort of fit in with the lore. It's basically a series of linear dungeon crawls in caves that they added onto the map. Simply more of the same.

As for Dragonborn, I might buy it simply for the Morrowind pandering but at the moment I'm too immersed ( :smug: ) in Betrayal at Krondor to really be arsed.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
As much as I enjoyed sea's post no one in their right goddamn mind plays these games for story.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom