Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Turjan

Arcane
Question: I know it's possible for both Altmer and Dunmer with really good genes or a metric ton of magical power to live centuries or even millenia, but what about Bosmer?

Have there been any examples of long lived Wood Elves?
Bosmer live just as long as the Dunmer and Altmer, and have interesting aspects about them that possibly makes them live longer in the long run(They cannibalize their own kind to absorb memories) other long lived races are Orcs, Orsimer in technical terms, because they are also elves. Breton live for hundreds of years up IIRC.

Is there still anything like that alive in "modern" Tamriel (after that toothless last version of the Pocket Guide)? The old Bosmer were interesting. The mentioned eating of the deceased, with their drive to kill other people curbed by their loss of appetite (if you have to eat everyone you kill, it gets a bit much after a while), their "king" as the sum of all thoughts of the Bosmer hivemind (the total average of all single thoughts of any Bosmer alive, talk about direct democracy), their changing into ferocious beasts of the Wild Hunt when pressed too hard, also them being pure meat eaters as plant matter is untouchable, their capital a huge walking tree that circles the land... I'm sure that's mostly gone.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Only High class/Mages of Elvenkind live that long, wars, court intrigues, deceases and brutal reality of living in preindustrial society take their toil. Berenziach knew the :obviously: original Septim and was around 300 years old when Tribunal, but she is the exception as are or now rather were the Televani counselors.

Is there still anything like that alive in "modern" Tamriel (after that toothless last version of the Pocket Guide)? The old Bosmer were interesting. The mentioned eating of the deceased, with their drive to kill other people curbed by their loss of appetite (if you have to eat everyone you kill, it gets a bit much after a while), their "king" as the sum of all thoughts of the Bosmer hivemind (the total average of all single thoughts of any Bosmer alive, talk about direct democracy), their changing into ferocious beasts of the Wild Hunt when pressed too hard, also them being pure meat eaters as plant matter is untouchable, their capital a huge walking tree that circles the land... I'm sure that's mostly gone.

I fondly remember running around Caldera in the nude for reactions, with everyone but a few Bosmer grumbling in disgust. They admired my free spirit and cheered me on. That bit alone made it possible to ignore a jumble of crap like the Annoying Fan in later games.

BROS I need help.

I've applied for betatesting of new version of Skyrim Redone. Unfortunately, to get that running, I need to load "Plugins.txt" file in the patcher, which, as I've found out, is absent from, shall we say, non-Steam versions.

If anyone has a legit Skyrim installed, please hook me up with that textfile for me to prepare. Thanks in advance.

Mine isn't legit either, but I have a plugins.txt located in user/appdata/local/skyrim. All it contains is the filenames of the .esps in Data Files, though. Like, it's a simple .txt file with this inside

Code:
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
SPIKE.esm
vinis_food_and_rest.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
Weapons and Armor fixes.esp
Weapons and Armor fixes - Hacks.esp
Immersive Battles.esp
Immersive Brigands.esp
Immersive Dawnguard.esp
Immersive Patrols.esp
Immersive Travelers.esp
Immersive Werewolves.esp
Smithing Perks Overhaul - Balanced.esp
Complete Crafting Overhaul.esp
ERSO 04 - Mighty Odahviing.esp
ERSO 05 - Dovah Holy Book.esp
ERSO 07 - Mighty Dragon Priests.esp
Run For Your Lives.esp
Better Dynamic Snow.esp
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
MD - EFCS.esp
New Encounter zone Levels.esp
Tougher named NPCs.esp
vinis_food_and_rest.esp
vinis_food_and_rest__loot.esp
vinis_food_and_rest__vendor.esp
vinis_food_and_rest__cooking.esp
DG-NoAttacks.esp
ForgottenMastery.esp
BetterMagic_FULL.esp
Path of Shadows - Magic.esp
Path of Shadows - Alchemy.esp
Duel - Combat Realism.esp
Path of Shadows - Combat.esp
fists of steel lvls.esp
New Leveled Encounter Levels - HARD.esp
MD A better level progression.esp
Path of Shadows - Sneak Settings.esp
Path of Shadows - Sneak Perks.esp
VRR.esp
MD - WMTBNDE x3.0.esp
rcrnShaders.esp
WATER.esp
Improved Conjuration, Better Daedra and Dead Thralls.esp
01 MD PM NoVanillaMusic v.4.0.esp
02 MD PM v. 4.0.esp
03 MD PM BlackreachMusic v.1.0.esp
04 MD PM DwemerMusic v.1.0.esp
SkyRe_Combat_Tweak.esp
Annoying Navi.esp

I guess you could just create it?

For those who are playing Requiem and grumbled about the crazy low weight limit when starting but don't want to console command it away...I present this.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/16438
Bandolier - Bags and Pouches

Reqiuem lets you break down animal hides or equipment (I know, like many other mods) into leather and leather strips, which whaddya know, is just what's needed to create the lowest level of pouches. Each gives an additional 50 carrying capacity and look stylish on your avatar. Higher levels give better results and some are upgradable and customizable.

So kill a couple wolves or a poor helpless fox, snipe lowly bandits wearing Hide or Fur and get your loot over to a tanning rack. Face it, if you're using Reqiuem (or Economics of Skyrim to boot) that crap won't sell for much anyway. It'd be far more useful here.

Lore question: What type of beverage is Mazte and Sujamma? Shein would be Comberry Wine, Greef would be Comberry Brandy and Flin would be whiskey.

And

"Saltrice is another of the tasty and nutritious foodstuffs with modest magical properties raised as export crops by Morrowind's farmers and plantation owners. Most saltrice seen in the Empire comes from southeastern Morrowind, but there are also some new and prospering farms and plantations in the Ascadian Isles. Saltrice also grows wild in the Grazelands and on Azura's Coast."

Quotations like that - where are they from?

Turjan

Arcane
Lore question: What type of beverage is Mazte and Sujamma? Shein would be Comberry Wine, Greef would be Comberry Brandy and Flin would be whiskey.

And

"Saltrice is another of the tasty and nutritious foodstuffs with modest magical properties raised as export crops by Morrowind's farmers and plantation owners. Most saltrice seen in the Empire comes from southeastern Morrowind, but there are also some new and prospering farms and plantations in the Ascadian Isles. Saltrice also grows wild in the Grazelands and on Azura's Coast."

Quotations like that - where are they from?
Mazte is beer made from Saltrice. For Sujamma, I have never found anything else than that it is a relatively strong, bitter liquor.

The quote is from the ingame dialog topic "Saltrice".

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Yeah, just to see "N'wah" replaced with "Howdy there pardner"

Is there y way to turn off that heartbeat sound when your health gets low?
Im playing with requiem mod and its really annoying because it starts when i still have around 70% health left.

For those who are playing Requiem and grumbled about the crazy low weight limit when starting but don't want to console command it away...I present this.

[...]

So kill a couple wolves or a poor helpless fox, snipe lowly bandits wearing Hide or Fur and get your loot over to a tanning rack. Face it, if you're using Reqiuem (or Economics of Skyrim to boot) that crap won't sell for much anyway. It'd be far more useful here.

I actually kind of like the low carry weight limit. It made me realize that I don't actually need to take all the crap I find in a dungeon, instead I just take the most valuable objects that are easy to carry, which tend to be jewelry or elven equipment. It's actually more fun than just taking everything that's not nailed down, you pay more attention to the surroundings. The inventory list even provides you with a Weight / Value ratio, to make it even easier to decide (SkyUI at least, dunno if the vanilla inventory also has that).

Eyeball

Arcane
Is there y way to turn off that heartbeat sound when your health gets low?
Im playing with requiem mod and its really annoying because it starts when i still have around 70% health left.
Yes. The mod already contains some optional plugins and files you can use to switch this off, although I believe you need to do this via the console as described in an enclosed .txt file.

In other words, read the manual, it's spelled out how to do this and other things, such as increasing the painfully low weight allowance. I upped mine by 100 points, because I want to carry some vendor trash goddammit!

DraQ

Arcane
Yes. The mod already contains some optional plugins and files you can use to switch this off, although I believe you need to do this via the console as described in an enclosed .txt file.

In other words, read the manual, it's spelled out how to do this and other things, such as increasing the painfully low weight allowance. I upped mine by 100 points, because I want to carry some vendor trash goddammit!
Pfff.
Get the bandolier mod mod instead.

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012

[...]

I actually kind of like the low carry weight limit. It made me realize that I don't actually need to take all the crap I find in a dungeon, instead I just take the most valuable objects that are easy to carry, which tend to be jewelry or elven equipment. It's actually more fun than just taking everything that's not nailed down, you pay more attention to the surroundings. The inventory list even provides you with a Weight / Value ratio, to make it even easier to decide (SkyUI at least, dunno if the vanilla inventory also has that).

Me too. I've felt like I could always carry too much shit in TES games.

Since Skyrim Redone's new version required new savefile, and Apocalypse Spell Package v3 came out around the same time as SkyRe, I figured it may be good time try something new with my usual Dunmer Spellsword character (~Destruction+One Handed+Sneak).

The problem is, aren't schools like Illusion or Conjuration, modded or not, redundant?

In Morrowind, with its slower, more methodical pace, different resource management itp. conjuring an Atronach, or something different to protect the squishy mage, or impairing (fewer) enemies with different spells made more sense due to the nature of the game. In Skyrim, it seems to be useless gimmick, with AI's bad pathfinding and other strings attached it just takes too long to get the ball rolling, and watching enraged/enfuriated NPCs sloppily fight each other or Flame Atronach fucking around and missing with its projectiles seems like a total waste of time when I can just as well quickly paralyze(or other crowd control with mod-added Alteration spells), or simply blast everyone with Destruction with the same, but more efficient result?

Did anyone try playing a less 'direct' mage? Any thoughts?

Kahlis

Cipher
As somebody who poured like two years of his life into active involvement and posting on the Bethsoft forum, it's a real disgrace how moronic it's gotten since Skyrim came out. I always thought it was a fairly civil and mature community, then Skyrim comes out and suddenly I don't recognize any of the users and the post quality becomes semblant of something from reddit. Only Past Elder Scrolls, Morrowind Mods and Elder Scrolls Lore are still relatively sane.

There's lots of legitimate reasons that I think Skyrim is demon-spawn from Hades. But every time you try to go through them on that forum they'd just tell you that you had no right to tell them what a real RPG was and sometimes they'd also say you were a grumpy old Morrowind nostalgiafag, so your reasons don't get to count. These are just opinions, and yet at the same time you have the guy getting worked up about the Codex's opinion because he submits to the fact that this site is the supreme authority, whether they like it or not. Opinions aren't so great when they don't line up with your own, huh.

:troll:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
As somebody who poured like two years of his life into active involvement and posting on the Bethsoft forum, it's a real disgrace how moronic it's gotten since Skyrim came out. I always thought it was a fairly civil and mature community, then Skyrim comes out and suddenly I don't recognize any of the users and the post quality becomes semblant of something from reddit. Only Past Elder Scrolls, Morrowind Mods and Elder Scrolls Lore are still relatively sane.

Thought that :decline: of Beth fora started with Oblivion.

Kahlis

Cipher
If you avoided the Oblivion and TES General forums it was fine as late as late 2010/early 2011, in my opinion. For an official developer forum I was always impressed by how relatively articulate most people were. Not anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom