Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Being free from necessity of playing shit games is considered as attempt to be edgy now?

Fuck this, man.

DraQ

Arcane
I kind of lost my heart for ASP - too much adds 15% of damage if the target is struck by lightning damage after being sat on by atronach as long as it happened between 5 and 10 s after casting unless the spell has already been cast twice this day shit.

I kind of lost my heart for ASP - too much adds 15% of damage if the target is struck by lightning damage after being sat on by atronach as long as it happened between 5 and 10 s after casting unless the spell has already been cast twice this day shit.

:lol:

There's no other choice though - Midas Magic was obliterated and left in disgrace by ASP, but it was bad anyway - and it made Skyrim an enjoyable action game. Alteration makes you feel like a demigod, Destruction is fun and, well, other schools were kinda redundant. After SkyRe 99.22 comes out, with mandatory new game character, I'll try Conjuration and maybe Illusion if I will want to fuck around on a new character, and level up for this Dragonborn DLCs.

Fun play time ahead.

The only issue I remember having was one-shotting everyone with Volcano and Rain of Fire, though; I may have to fiddle around in GECK. Seems many issues will be addressed in v3.0.

Stabwound

Arcane
SkyRe and other assorted mods do sound like they might make the character/item hunt aspect of the game some fun, but I wish there was something that could be done about the god awful dungeon design. As much of a Morrowind fanboy I am, I have to admit that the later games do improve on certain aspects - namely combat and the lack of Wikipedia dialogue. But the shit linear dungeons are a disgrace. Supposedly the Dragonborn DLC ups the quality of the dungeon design so that should be nice, but I quickly got sick of the dungeons that unwind like a ball of yarn.

Gord

Arcane
Well, at least they look good while being linear and some thought went into them.
But they could have done a few non-linear ones, true.

DraQ

Arcane
There's no other choice though
Well, there is Requiem.

It doesn't have that many new effects (so no volcano or meteor shower), but it does have pretty impressive and powerful stuff available to high end casters.

SkyRe and other assorted mods do sound like they might make the character/item hunt aspect of the game some fun, but I wish there was something that could be done about the god awful dungeon design. As much of a Morrowind fanboy I am, I have to admit that the later games do improve on certain aspects - namely combat and the lack of Wikipedia dialogue. But the shit linear dungeons are a disgrace. Supposedly the Dragonborn DLC ups the quality of the dungeon design so that should be nice, but I quickly got sick of the dungeons that unwind like a ball of yarn.
Well, most dungeons in Morrowind weren't that impressive, to be honest.
Some were superb, admittedly, but there were tons of tiny tombs, small caves and ruins collapsed so badly that only a room or two remained.

Still, while the dungeons in Skyrim tend to be disappointingly linear, overworld hostile locations are pretty excellent.

As for the dialogue, Oblivious was the shitty middle between MW system and Skyrim's.

Still, I value MW's much higher due to it's ability to convey information.

Actually, they aren't that bad this (modded) time around for me. I blame the bland vanilla gameplay that overshadowed everything by how fucking boring it was.

With the core more or less fixed, everything became suddenly better.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Well, most dungeons in Morrowind weren't that impressive, to be honest.
Some were superb, admittedly, but there were tons of tiny tombs, small caves and ruins collapsed so badly that only a room or two remained.
I thought that was actually a good thing. It made sense that tombs and bandit caves were mostly rather small and compact, and that also made the longer dungeons stand out more. As a result the game had really good pacing between smaller quests and epic multi-leveled dungeon crawls. Even the smallest caves usually had some little unique detail in them that made them a bit different from the rest, and in general the dungeons looked like they served some purpose in the game world instead of just being there to give you tons of monsters to kill. Oblivion of course fucked this up completely by having bandits holed up in some completely random, pitch-black cave complexes that all looked the same and were about as big as your average Ayleid ruin, so you could just throw all logic out of the window right away. Skyrim is notably better than that, and it actually has dungeons that feel interesting and unique, but the linearity is a big minus and the same elements are used way too often.

DraQ

Arcane
I thought that was actually a good thing. It made sense that tombs and bandit caves were mostly rather small and compact, and that also made the longer dungeons stand out more. As a result the game had really good pacing between smaller quests and epic multi-leveled dungeon crawls. Even the smallest caves usually had some little unique detail in them that made them a bit different from the rest, and in general the dungeons looked like they served some purpose in the game world instead of just being there to give you tons of monsters to kill. Oblivion of course fucked this up completely by having bandits holed up in some completely random, pitch-black cave complexes that all looked the same and were about as big as your average Ayleid ruin, so you could just throw all logic out of the window right away. Skyrim is notably better than that, and it actually has dungeons that feel interesting and unique, but the linearity is a big minus and the same elements are used way too often.
You know what? I agree.

Though while I didn't consider multitude of small dungeons a bad things, they were obviously not something one would miss.

It's a shame that Skyrim doesn't include dungeons with a bit more freeform environment and traversal. They *are* too fucking linear.

Stabwound

Arcane
The weird thing is, would it really have taken that much more design time to create somewhat non-linear dungeons? Even dead ends with a treasure chest or shit like that would have been good enough. Seriously, the dungeons are the breaking point for the game for me because you can predict the layout of almost every one: just google a diagram of the large intestine.

Heh. Yeah, that's what turned me off ACE. Check some of the changes in the readme.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/10037

>>> The Casting Forms <<<
** Chaos Form ** - Unlocked when each magic skill is at least level 35 - Cooldown: 20 minutes - Effects: (each effect has an independent chance of occurring, several may occur at once) * 15% Chance 33% or 200% Magnitude / Duration (4 separate effects) * 25% Chance 66% or 133% Magnitude / Duration (4 separate effects) * 33% Chance 75% or 125% Casting Cost (2 separate effects)

** Specialize Alteration Form ** - Unlocked when Alteration skill is 50 or with the Apprentice Alteration perk - Cooldown: 10 minutes - Effects: * +15% Magnitude and Duration for Alteration spells * -15% Cost for Alteration spells * -10% Magnitude and Duration for Illusion and Conjuration spells * +10% Cost for Illusion and Conjuration Spells * 10% Chance to fail (zero magnitude) Illusion and Conjuration Spells

I won't deny it sounds cool, but...will I ever remember to make use of those bonuses when I need it? Will I even remember what they do? Will I even remember they exist?

For the same reason, instead of ASP I choose Forgotten Mastery (new spells, not as creative as ASP but still has some interesting effects) and Better Magic (makes mage perks more interesting and rewarding)

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
hd buttplugs

bethesda player base in a nutshell

dextermorgan

Arcane
As much of a Morrowind fanboy I am, I have to admit that the later games do improve on certain aspects - namely combat and the lack of Wikipedia dialogue.
I'd rather have wiki-style dialogue than the dumb/dull/infuriating "improvement" as implemented in Oblivion. Don't know about Skyrim but I doubt it's much better.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
As much of a Morrowind fanboy I am, I have to admit that the later games do improve on certain aspects - namely combat and the lack of Wikipedia dialogue.
I'd rather have wiki-style dialogue than the dumb/dull/infuriating "improvement" as implemented in Oblivion. Don't know about Skyrim but I doubt it's much better.

Skyrim is lot like late GD: Lot of edgy and ''witty'' one liners but voiced.

Gord

Arcane
The weird thing is, would it really have taken that much more design time to create somewhat non-linear dungeons? Even dead ends with a treasure chest or shit like that would have been good enough. Seriously, the dungeons are the breaking point for the game for me because you can predict the layout of almost every one: just google a diagram of the large intestine.

Yeah, it's almost as if their new dungeon designer, while knowing how to do a nice looking dungeon with some backstory, knows only how to design completely linear dungeons.
Bethesda being Bethesda I expect TES VI to have dungeons with multiple paths (because fans found Skyrim's too linear) only to be lacking in another feature, like they will only have one or two tilesets/type of enemies.
Of course it probably doesn't matter, because by then the "Roleplaying in Oblivion" crowd will have taken over and TES will be about marrying and raising children in your expansive estate you can freely decorate. The Elder Sims VI.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
First things first, there's no reason to even go to these dungeons, linear or not. It's so overwhelmingly stupid, that it annoys me to just think about it; I mean you design a huge gameworld, but can't be arsed enough in order to design n distribute some unique loot!? It's like making a toilet with marble tilled walls, but without a fuckin' shitter - no reason to go there.

Yeah, it's almost as if their new dungeon designer, while knowing how to do a nice looking dungeon with some backstory, knows only how to design completely linear dungeons.
Bethesda being Bethesda I expect TES VI to have dungeons with multiple paths (because fans found Skyrim's too linear) only to be lacking in another feature, like they will only have one or two tilesets/type of enemies.

inb4 every single "non-linear multipathed" dungeon featuring two ways to flip an eagle-snake-whale puzzle to open the third one with dragon claw slot or something like that :lol:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Welcome to the word of Instant gratification and level scaling. :hero: You can make dungeons full of powerful monsters and unique items only to get complains from consloltard peasants who'll be dieng there like flies. Where is Caius Cosades and why I (not Your PC) can't defeat monster with sword skill 20 modern consumer player Asks? What You will be answer if you work in business which only goal is to commercially sell ARPGs to those and cash in profit?

DraQ

Arcane
Skyrim is much better than Oblivious, as it at least resembles natural dialogue somewhat.

Oblivious dialogue was still very much the wikilogue of its predecessors, except without convenient hyperlinks, with only 10% of the topics, simple english version and with every article cut down to about two lines that failed to convey any meaningful information. Oh and read in a retard voice.

Edit:
Sometimes two.

Question: I know it's possible for both Altmer and Dunmer with really good genes or a metric ton of magical power to live centuries or even millenia, but what about Bosmer?

Have there been any examples of long lived Wood Elves?

Regvard

Arcane
Question: I know it's possible for both Altmer and Dunmer with really good genes or a metric ton of magical power to live centuries or even millenia, but what about Bosmer?

Bosmer are yet another example half assed Bethesda creations so I doubt there is any solid info on it. Couple of centuries probably. Reaching that age is practically impossible though since they are extremely annoying and probably get stomped on by every other race with sensory organs.

roll-a-die

Magister

Bosmer live just as long as the Dunmer and Altmer, and have interesting aspects about them that possibly makes them live longer in the long run(They cannibalize their own kind to absorb memories) other long lived races are Orcs, Orsimer in technical terms, because they are also elves. Breton live for hundreds of years up IIRC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom