Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Luzur

Good Sir
Interesting. I wonder how they plan to invade us if no quest compass points this way.

Let's what Eduard Antalolyevich Khil has as an answer for Bethpizda unwashed masses:

good old Freddo, halting their offensive right at the start.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
This wasn't already the case when Oblivion came out?
Thought that :decline: of Beth fora started with Oblivion.

Pretty much, Skyrim just brings in a fresh batch of retards/kids. The difference now is that the space between Daggerfall and Morrowind and the newer shit games is stretching even further. At least when Oblivion came out most of them at least played and enjoyed Morrowind.

Kahlis

Cipher
And at least the Oblivion and Morrowind kids were close enough together to have some awareness of the previous games. Remember that big happy family of early 2000's TES communities and news websites? Not much left anymore. These new members have no sense of obligation, respect or interest in what came before them. I've seen Skyrim kids asking for a remake of Oblivion. And not in the "make Cyrodiil a jungle and make the game good" sense, we have Andoran in a way for that - more in the "I can't play this 6 year old oldfag game" sense.

It's funny how a few years in birth difference can make such a big difference on one's childhood, especially with what technologies and entertainment they're exposed to. I was actually very giddy about all the hype behind Oblivion's release, but fortunately my GeForce 5500 FX would've had no chance at running the game so I stuck with Morrowind and delved further back into Daggerfall instead.

DraQ

Arcane
You have a game that sold about 10M, you can't expect anything but influx of retards on game's forum.
But retards come and go, and judging from the fact Skyrim at least tried to keep track of the lore and attempted ot reintroduce some old concepts (radiant quests, for example), both release of Daggerfall as freeware and bashing oblivious' lore seemed to have some impact and made Beth realize they should care more about fans of the series rather than mentally impaired kids playing whatever is new and shiny.

To put it shortly, Skyrim, for all its flaws, is OK. It's a positive trend.
I'm more concerned about TESO - It's developed by separate branch of Zenimax, and clearly shits all over the established lore.
I hope it bombs *HARD*.
TORtanic hard.

Kahlis

Cipher
Me too. Franchising of that kind would really dilute TES' identity and who knows what reactions we might get out of Todd.

"I was apprehensive about it at first, but I've found out that I actually really like MMORPGs, from now on TES will be an F2P MMO with cash shop and 20 expansion packs a year and anime miniseries and branded bubble gum and..."

q2xGN.jpg

I agree with you DraQ and Kahlis, although I'm less optimistic perhaps, and think that Skyrim's improvements are just a small :incline: and coincidence and that surely Bethesda will continue further declining their TES games to the lowest common denominator in the pursuit of the almighty $$$. I mean I hope I'm wrong, but you said it yourselves pretty well:

And at least the Oblivion and Morrowind kids were close enough together to have some awareness of the previous games. Remember that big happy family of early 2000's TES communities and news websites? Not much left anymore. These new members have no sense of obligation, respect or interest in what came before them. I've seen Skyrim kids asking for a remake of Oblivion. And not in the "make Cyrodiil a jungle and make the game good" sense, we have Andoran in a way for that - more in the "I can't play this 6 year old oldfag game" sense.

:(

Kahlis

Cipher
I hadn't realized this but some guy was making a "Solstheim 4E" mod for Skyrim, and now it's all for naught because I figure people are just going to flock to its canonical depiction in the Dragonborn DLC. He's going to re-fit it into a High Rock mod. It sure will look nice on a level design portfolio but I feel bad for the guy being forced to change his vision, especially when the only cool thing about the Solstheim by Bethesda are those basalt columns.

If only he'd join Tamriel Rebuilt, Province Cyrodiil or Skyrim: Home of the Nords. At least Morrowind modders are appreciative.

I feel bad for the guy being forced to change his vision, especially when the only cool thing about the Solstheim by Bethesda are those basalt columns.

I don't understand how any of this is going to fit this High Rock project. He should just take this into some kind of Blacklight/Silgrad Tower mod, not that, especially since that Morrowind Province part of this "Beyond Skyrim" is going to be "post-apo" with references to Fallout 3 and Falmer invasion (seriously, check out that "Beyond Skyrim" forum). I think I prefer Morrowind-esque southern Ashland half of Solstheim over that.

P.S. We had Skyrim in Morrowind with Bloodmoon, now we have Morrowind in Skyrim with Dragonborn yay.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
or better yet, ignore that dumbfuck dlc and carry on like nothing ever happened. unlike bethesda, he at least gets dunmer architecture right.

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
Easily. If you weren't a dumb newfag who came to the Codex, saw other newfags constantly going "Oblivion sucks ololo" to get KKKs you would know that Oblivion has a lot of stuff that is superior to Skyrim.

Starting with Zodiac signs adding bonuses and penalties to characters and ending with a much bigger world and non-linear dungeons
I remember when I first came here any former TES-tard complaining about Oblivion was Dumbfucked or banned

DraQ

Arcane
I've been playing my modded (mainly Requiem stacked on top of Duel, not sure if Duel retains any of its functionality this way, but it does seem to and it seems to work more or less) Skyrim lately and having a blast.
I love the AI overhaul, that lets NPCs to, for example pick up their fallen comrade's bow when attacked at range, that's with Requiem where bows can often onehit you unless you have heavy armour or tons of HPs, so it really reduces the effectiveness of "shoot the ranged attackers, then snipe everyone else" tactics. Of course, the highest threat targets are still the enemy wizards - if you're noticed by them, then your best beat is breaking the line of sight, thankfully no one can pick spells they have equipped.

Oh, by the way:
Requiem v1.0 is out, in case you haven't noticed.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I've been playing my modded (mainly Requiem stacked on top of Duel, not sure if Duel retains any of its functionality this way, but it does seem to and it seems to work more or less) Skyrim lately and having a blast.
I love the AI overhaul, that lets NPCs to, for example pick up their fallen comrade's bow when attacked at range, that's with Requiem where bows can often onehit you unless you have heavy armour or tons of HPs, so it really reduces the effectiveness of "shoot the ranged attackers, then snipe everyone else" tactics. Of course, the highest threat targets are still the enemy wizards - if you're noticed by them, then your best beat is breaking the line of sight, thankfully no one can pick spells they have equipped.

Oh, by the way:
Requiem v1.0 is out, in case you haven't noticed.
I tried Requiem 0.99 and it seemed interesting but I didn't play long enough to get a feel for it. However the perk changes seemed pretty cool and I was surprised to find my wooden bow (and I assume shield) could be destroyed by enemies if they bum-rushed me.

Do you have a download link? The Nexus appears to be down.

EDIT: Must have been a temporary fuck-up. For those that want it:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19281

Allanon

Augur
If you are interested in total overhaul mods, there is also Skyrim Redone. It changes the game pretty much on every level, from combat and perks to AI and level scaling (disables it). I've been playing it for a week now and it's quite nice.

DraQ

Arcane
If you are interested in total overhaul mods, there is also Skyrim Redone. It changes the game pretty much on every level, from combat and perks to AI and level scaling (disables it). I've been playing it for a week now and it's quite nice.
I feel skyre has overshot its aspirations. Instead of improving and fixing it's too focused on changing the vision completely.

DraQ

Arcane
Isn't Requiem doing just that as well, though?
Well, no. SkyRe, for example throws out entire spell schools and replaces them because they didn't fit the vision. Restoration? No way, it might remain restoration in name but we will change it to resemble D&D divine magic.
Illusion. Sucks, replace it with *our* illusion.

OTOH Requiem is far more conservative, it doesn't remove or replace mechanics, it only tweaks and adds. It also seems to have much more consistent vision regarding new spells. For example, teleportation spells are conjuration, because conjuration is the only school involving trans-planar travel in any form (mysticism has been scrapped). Dispel is restoration (mysticism has been scrapped) and I find rather brilliant, because it effectively restores the target to its base state by removing spell effects.

Plus, high level requiem spells are horribly OP, but really awesome. Still, given the entire context being full of OP, I doubt they will be gamebreaking.

Eyeball

Arcane
Draq is correct. Requiem is basically Skyrim, but with everything skullfucking you and progress actually meaning something. SkyRe is a revamp, and a fairly shit one IMO - I uninstalled in a rage when I saw that the lockpicking and pickpocketing perk trees had been combined into "fingersmithing."

What the fuck is a fingersmith?

Allanon

Augur
Draq is correct. Requiem is basically Skyrim, but with everything skullfucking you and progress actually meaning something. SkyRe is a revamp, and a fairly shit one IMO - I uninstalled in a rage when I saw that the lockpicking and pickpocketing perk trees had been combined into "fingersmithing."

What the fuck is a fingersmith?

So the problem was of a linguistic nature?

Regardless, my problem with SkyRe is the difficulty. It started out fairly challenging, but quickly became much easier. Supposedly each zone should have a minimum level so that if you venture to a higher level zone it would be significantly harder. Didn't notice that in my game, so perhaps something glitched.
How is Requiem in that regard?

Eyeball

Arcane
Depends - I hit level 30 on an imperial heavy armour dude when I stopped playing and I could easily steamroll several bandit chaps at once who would have smashed me at the beginning of the game. Lots of casters could STILL ruin my shit in one or two shots, though, and the giant GIANT spiders could also oneshot me, for some reason. And you remember those goblin-type critters that you find underground? Yeah, they all have paralysis weapons now. Also, their bug pals poison you lethally unless you have antidote. And I haven't even started the dragon quest yet!

So yeah, I strongly assume that the cornholing in Requiem continues to higher levels.

Regardless, my problem with SkyRe is the difficulty. It started out fairly challenging, but quickly became much easier. Supposedly each zone should have a minimum level so that if you venture to a higher level zone it would be significantly harder. Didn't notice that in my game, so perhaps something glitched.
How is Requiem in that regard?

Supposedly it's "Skyrim Meets Dark Souls". I glanced at it, but it seems to overhaul the game very radically and hermetically. I may well be very wrong, but while I'm having a great time with new SkyRe version + content like Apocalypse Spell Package 3.0 (which is amazing), I don't presume it, or un-edited things like Dragonborn DLC (while new SkyRe patcher solves this problem beforehand) will work well in context of Requiem, where you either one-shot or get one-shotted.

SkyRe, for example throws out entire spell schools and replaces them because they didn't fit the vision. Restoration? No way, it might remain restoration in name but we will change it to resemble D&D divine magic.
Illusion. Sucks, replace it with *our* illusion.

OTOH Requiem is far more conservative

But they do suck. Then again, I never use Illusion or Restoration, (in my current playthrough, hopefully the last ongoing, I've added Conjuration though, and with new effects in ASP 3.0, it's relatively impressive), and his vision regarding Magic is almost completely overshadowed by ASP and it's multitude of spells and effects, so I'm not bothered that much with this.

Plus, if your vision is to do things like scrape Mysticism, mix useless perks with overpowered ones, and generally construct the game mechanics with little balance, then I don't care for being especially bent on conserving this retarded vision. T3nd0 may have some questionable ideas, but I'll take it over vanilla Skyrim everyday.

DraQ

Arcane
I'd say that depending on your approach, you will steamroll and be steamrolled by different things in Requiem. For example if you're an archer, you're going to absolutely own those shitty bandits in their shitty hide and fur "armours", but when you run into draugr, who are undead and don't particularly care about arbitrary number of arrows embedded in their bodies (but can use bows themselves) - ouch. OTOH a destruction mage will probably pwn draugr, but be fucked by something else.

Saying that requiem is hard, or easy doesn't quite convey the truth, and the truth is that Requiem is simply lethal. It's easy to kill, but it's very easy to die and you're usually outnumbered.

DraQ

Arcane
Plus, if your vision is to do things like scrape Mysticism
Which hasn't been restored by SkyRe, no?

mix useless perks with overpowered ones
SkyRe wins in terms of perks due to their sheer quantity, but it's not like Requiem leaves unbalanced and shitty perks as they are.
It forces you to invest in lockpicking perks to be able to open locks, it removes inane and derpy shit, like "cushioned" perk, but overall it maintains the original L&F of the perk trees, minus the suck.

Eyeball

Arcane
SkyRe has a bunch of perks for specific weapons, most of them being of the weaboo variety. This is far too specific for my tastes and clutters the perk trees needlessly, and SkyRe's perk trees are pretty damn cluttered indeed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom