Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Ok, now I have to try Skyrim. Damn you, DraQ :hearnoevil:

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
He likes Daggerfall and Morrowind for the same reasons I do, he hates Oblivion for the same reasons I do, and now he's defending Skyrim like a rabid fanboy... I must torrent that crap now, even after the Oblivion (and FO3) fiasco.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
It's a decent game. If they could remove the incredibly linear banal shit boring dungeons and remove level scaling entirely as well, it'd be even better. The latter can be done with mods, unfortunately the former cannot. :x

DraQ

Arcane
He likes Daggerfall and Morrowind for the same reasons I do, he hates Oblivion for the same reasons I do, and now he's defending Skyrim like a rabid fanboy... I must torrent that crap now, even after the Oblivion (and FO3) fiasco.
Do mind that it isn't nearly as good as Morrowind.

I would probably dislike it (but maybe not hate it) if it wasn't for Oblivion.

Also do mind that you *will* need mods to enjoy this one as well as that it's going to be more action oriented. And questlines are mostly scripted, linear and fairly sucky.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I like how the religion/mythology in TES draws from many sources, such as Hinduism as described here. Instead of everything being a shade of Christian themes as it usually is (since not only in the West, but Japan also throws in lots of Catholic imagery from their heritage).

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
If we are talking about the "Elder Scrolls" lore, I'm sorry but for 20 years of games they have shit all to show for it (magical prophesy saves the day over and over again, nothing is explained ever).
:hmmm:
Can you even fucking read?

Anyway, in case you can, unlikely at it might seem:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/morrowind-as-above-so-below.41296/
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/morrowind-is-just-a-plain-bad-game.68072/page-4
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...do-people-like-morrowind-so-much.76548/page-7

Read those and play the fucking earlier parts of the series (no, Oblivion doesn't count, neither does Arena because there was barely any lore established at the time and everything was a shitty D&D knockoff).
No wiki, guides or any form of online help, obviously.

Then we *may* talk.

So much reading oh god how will my tiny brain cope.
Fine I consent Morrowind has some interesting lore, the crazy wizard with the jump scrolls proves that. Seeing as all of that was thrown out after Morrowind however....

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
DraQ said:
mongo-punches-horse-o.gif

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Vanilla Skyrim is playable, but you're better off with mods.

Or just not playing it. If you want fun dragon fights go play Dragon's Dogma.

EDIT: If Skyrim is any indication of Bethesda's idea of improving on Oblivion, it's probably going to be the last Elder Scrolls game I buy.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
To my surprise, Requiem actually makes Skyrim really enjoyable. I actually have to think about my combat encounters because one wrong move and I'm dead. Literally. A single Nord bandit wielding a two handed weapon can pretty much one-shot me.

I'm just worried that it will only be like this at the early levels and then later once you're leveled up all the tactics fly out the window.

DraQ

Arcane
Really you didn't like tribunal?
Tribunal was pretty cool in terms of lore involved, both explicit and implied, but it was often shoddily executed - a lot of linearity, game breaking down if you tried to challenge this linearity, Clockwork City being a bunch of corridors, etc.

It was enjoyable addition, but lesser than original.

Bloodmoon was far better executed but much simpler thematically and lacked detail (for example, bookshelves were often populated by blocks of repeated copies of the same book - *retch* - much less care was given to both NPCs and their context and so on).

Again, enjoyable but lesser than vanilla content.

Tribunal was pretty cool in terms of lore involved, both explicit and implied, but it was often shoddily executed - a lot of linearity, game breaking down if you tried to challenge this linearity, Clockwork City being a bunch of corridors, etc.

Bloodmoon was far better executed but much simpler thematically and lacked detail (for example, bookshelves were often populated by blocks of repeated copies of the same book - *retch* - much less care was given to both NPCs and their context and so on).

How would you rate Dragonborn in this context?

DraQ

Arcane

How would you rate Dragonborn in this context?
"Rating pending" :smug: .

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Jesus fucking christ stop defending Skyrim I enjoyed for what it was but this shit is making me sick i'm ashamed of you DraQ

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Because there will never be another Elder Scrolls game that is anywhere near as good. When Elder Scrolls VI: Yet Another Primarily Human Province comes out, we will be asking ourselves, "just how shitty is it? Oblivion levels of suck? A derpy yet somewhat enjoyable hiking simulator that for the most part refrains from shitting on the lore like Skyrim?"

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
That would be what most people would do, but I need to experience the train wreck for myself. Actually, I should stop doing that, too. Playing Fallout 3 for 2 hours scarred me for life.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I need to fucking eliminate the year 2011. I wonder if I can hire a lithuanian hitman to do the job? Nobody said any of that shit. Go back to school and let us all pray to some higher power that you die in a school massacre the moment you're exchanging sexual favors for your degree, you stupid fuck.

God I fucking hate you. I hate a lot of people but holy shit on a stick I do believe I fucking hate you the most.

Hire me, I'm an excellent infiltrator. I've been Codex lurker since 1976 and know all innards and outards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom