Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DraQ summoning me to this thread reminded me of a TRVE KODEX MOMENT I had at uni on Monday.

I was sitting in the philosophers' cafe, chatting with bros, and some chick mentioned Tamriel in some non-TES context (like, that a friend of hers once asked something like "where in Middle Earth was Tamriel?" or somesuch funny "hurr I confuse fantasy worlds" thingie). Some dude replied with "wasn't that the world of The Elder Scrolls games?" and another chick answered that with "no, it's just a continent on that world, the world's called Nirn".

And then we started talking about TES games, or more like the world map of TES. Like, Skyrim is in the north, Cyrodiil pretty much smack in the middle, Morrowind northeast.
Then I mentioned Cyrodiil was originally supposed to be a jungle.
Then the dude replied "Well, even if they had made it a jungle it wouldn't have improved Oblivion..."
And pretty much everyone involved in the conversation agreed that Oblivion was a horrible piece of shit, Skyrim was a good game but becomes boring after a while, and Morrowind was the best and the only one with a story that's not retarded.

It was kinda like talking to Codexers IRL. Only with less rage.

BBMorti

Arcane
DraQ summoning me to this thread reminded me of a TRVE KODEX MOMENT I had at uni on Monday.

I was sitting in the philosophers' cafe, chatting with bros, and some chick mentioned Tamriel in some non-TES context (like, that a friend of hers once asked something like "where in Middle Earth was Tamriel?" or somesuch funny "hurr I confuse fantasy worlds" thingie). Some dude replied with "wasn't that the world of The Elder Scrolls games?" and another chick answered that with "no, it's just a continent on that world, the world's called Nirn".

And then we started talking about TES games, or more like the world map of TES. Like, Skyrim is in the north, Cyrodiil pretty much smack in the middle, Morrowind northeast.
Then the dude replied "Well, even if they had made it a jungle it wouldn't have improved Oblivion..."
And pretty much everyone involved in the conversation agreed that Oblivion was a horrible piece of shit, Skyrim was a good game but becomes boring after a while, and Morrowind was the best and the only one with a story that's not retarded.

Amazing post =P A shame I can't brofist.

DraQ

Arcane
Of course it's up to you, and something that is not an issue for me may be for you, but since you're all for improving the game with mods (and you can easily walk around the DRM unless you're against cracked anything anywhere) give it a try. You're missing out on an excellent game.
I'm not against cracking anything anywhere, but it feels kind of derp to buy something only to have to crack it anyway.

STALKER: CoP was enough of that for me.

Maybe I'll obtain DS, because I've heard only good stuff about it, but it's of low priority.
Would buy if it wasn't infected with GFWL (steam is more than enough of such bullshit for me).

BTW: Can you rebind movement keys or are you stuck with WSAD?
Because it's kind of relevant if you're a southpaw.
and Morrowind was the best and the only one with a story that's not retarded.
Well, there was also Daggerfall.

DraQ

Arcane
6hibs3.png

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Mods have fixed some parts of Skyrim. They did not fix Skyrim. There is a lot wrong with Skyrim which has either not been fixed or that would take years to fix properly. Like the combat being a giant LMB-spamfest. Or the fact that the game world does not react to the player or his actions.

DraQ

Arcane
Mods have fixed some parts of Skyrim. They did not fix Skyrim. There is a lot wrong with Skyrim which would take way too long to fix. Like the combat being a giant LMB-spamfest.
Tried Requiem?

Or the fact that the game world does not react to the player or his actions.
Actually it's still much better in this regard than Oblivion.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I have not yet tried Requiem. It sounds interesting, so I'll give it a try, but from reading the readme I don't get the feeling it will change the feeling of weightlessness the combat has. Compared to something like Dark Messiah, the combat and player presence in Skyrim was pretty primitive. It felt like you were a floating orb carrying a weapon, and while some of the combat moves had momentum, it was usually not very well done. From the sounds of it Requiem makes the combat harder and forces you to use skills you previously neglected (such as block, which by the time my one-handed skill was at 100 was still only in the 20s), but doesn't fix the weightless feel that combat has.

As for the world reacting to the player's presence, I'd say it's pretty much on par with Oblivion. That is to say, basically non-existent. At the end of a playthrough the game world in Skyrim is pretty much the exact same as it was at the start of the game, with the exception of there being a few less named NPCs.

Sul

Savant
Did I hear someone saying that TES has no lore? Holy shit, people can't be this fucking plain and oblivious. I guess they need some kind of stupid and rudimentary form of story telling like audio-logs, long cutscenes and characters that never shut up, otherwise they will never get it.
Time for some lore dump.
zj9g5e.png

nwfyao.png

1jav4j.png

icppmt.png

29bm5ie.png

fkmww1.png

Want something more visual? Ok, here some work that Kirkbride has done recently.
Kynareth, Mara and Dibella.
6nxpv5.jpg

Some Tribunal shit
34y5jfb.jpg

A breton mage, not a member of the court that's for sure.
2ma52s.jpg

The head?
2q1z08w.jpg

wat
35884zm.jpg

A dunmer/chimer holding Chim-el Adabal (Amulet of Kings, the oversoul of those that carry the dragon blood). But why?
7175vl.jpg

Reman Cyrodiil, the Worldly God, taking part in some kind of ritual.
19td28.jpg

Talos, maybe just before reaching Amaranth.
33aruc9.jpg

That's all for today folks.

Maybe I'll obtain DS, because I've heard only good stuff about it, but it's of low priority.
Would buy if it wasn't infected with GFWL (steam is more than enough of such bullshit for me).

BTW: Can you rebind movement keys or are you stuck with WSAD?
Because it's kind of relevant if you're a southpaw.

Well, you can always... demo it.

I don't even mean it as an euphemism. Just to play the first level or something to check if you're going to like the game or not; rather than blindly buy the game with no knowledge about it whatsoever only to regret it.

And yes, you can rebind almost, if not every single key to your liking, as long as keybinds do not overlap. Just checked that. In fact, the game plays a lot better with keyboard only (it isn't even a matter of port; the entire gameplay would have to be reworked to fit K+M)

I played my game with WSAD for movement and various keys like Space, Q or E with my left hand, and i.e. Numpad 5 for attacking and Arrows for camera adjustment with my right hand. It was very comfortable. You should have no problem with adjusting the controls to your preference.

DraQ

Arcane
I have not yet tried Requiem. It sounds interesting, so I'll give it a try, but from reading the readme I don't get the feeling it will change the feeling of weightlessness the combat has. Compared to something like Dark Messiah, the combat and player presence in Skyrim was pretty primitive. It felt like you were a floating orb carrying a weapon, and while some of the combat moves had momentum, it was usually not very well done. From the sounds of it Requiem makes the combat harder and forces you to use skills you previously neglected (such as block, which by the time my one-handed skill was at 100 was still only in the 20s), but doesn't fix the weightless feel that combat has.
I know what you mean, and while Requiem doesn't fix it per-se (because that would require a massive animation replacer and a lot of scritpting) it bypasses the problem nearly completely.
How?

By making it so that stuff dies. You don't get to dish out or take enough attacks to notice this animation problems because either you or your target die a lot faster than that.

As for the world reacting to the player's presence, I'd say it's pretty much on par with Oblivion. That is to say, basically non-existent. At the end of a playthrough the game world in Skyrim is pretty much the exact same as it was at the start of the game, with the exception of there being a few less named NPCs.
Well, no. Civil War will replace some jarls and fuck some places up. Depending on your choices you will antagonize either the Blades or Greybeards. Some sidequests will also change some things and that's purely scripted stuff.
You also get things like ability to trololo the guards if you're thane.
And then you have more generic reactivity, like having thugs after you if you kill or rob someone.

Sure, most of this stuff is mostly window dressing (like lolol Gildergreen got restored/replaced with sapling), but it's still heaps more than what oblivious had.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
HURPAUDURPADURRRR Did I hear someone saying that TES has no lore? UUUUUUUUUUUHHUHHU
I need to fucking eliminate the year 2011. I wonder if I can hire a lithuanian hitman to do the job? Nobody said any of that shit. Go back to school and let us all pray to some higher power that you die in a school massacre the moment you're exchanging sexual favors for your degree, you stupid fuck.

God I fucking hate you. I hate a lot of people but holy shit on a stick I do believe I fucking hate you the most.

Sul

Savant
HURPAUDURPADURRRR Did I hear someone saying that TES has no lore? UUUUUUUUUUUHHUHHU
I need to fucking eliminate the year 2011. I wonder if I can hire a lithuanian hitman to do the job? Nobody said any of that shit. Go back to school and let us all pray to some higher power that you die in a school massacre the moment you're exchanging sexual favors for your degree, you stupid fuck.

God I fucking hate you. I hate a lot of people but holy shit on a stick I do believe I fucking hate you the most.
Calm down bro, you're making a foal of yourself. You need to be more stable.
AHAHAHAHA

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin

They're just agreeing because they want to avoid being assassinated during the night of long knives.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated

Calm down bro, you're making a foal of yourself. You need to be more stable.
AHAHAHAHA
Oh shit, horse puns! My one weakness! I'm fucking melting!

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
You've just got to take it with equinimity, Andyman Messiah.
800px-Applejack_and_Apple_Bloom_laughing_S2E12.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom