Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Mortmal

Arcane
Although, I suppose, Skyrim is by far the best recent major game you can buy for consoles right now.
No. Shit, it wasn't even the best game when it came out.

Well, enlighten me.

On console at the very same time you had dark soul wich is much more challenging and satisfying action rpg than the vanilla skyrim. You have to heavily mod it to get a beggining of challenge,SKYUI is mandatory to avoid headaches , there's fairly good dungeons like hjaktraevak tomb, and the other mods this guy made, unfortunatly nothing of this is available on consoles.
You can also play dragon's dogma , its even better in some areas.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Although, I suppose, Skyrim is by far the best recent major game you can buy for consoles right now.

Well, enlighten me.
With a quick look at my game shelf, and wikipedia, I can safely say that Saints Row 3, LA Noire, Modern Warfare 3, Sonic Generations, Zelda Skyward Sword and Assassin's Creed Revelations were far better games than Skyrim 5.

edit: Oh, Dark Souls was also released in nov 2011? Alrighty then. One more alternative to Skyrim that kicks ass.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I stand by my first analysis. This product took a step in the right direction. However, it still has many weaknesses. For instance, the story is so ridiculously bland (as well as the writing - there's no character!), that exploration is always a more attractive option to the player. Yet, exploration is like a leveled loot list (though better than OB), and requires a senseless grind through trivial items applied to a cookie cutter balance sheet.

In fact, it feels like the balancing of these games has become so contrived that it ruins the creativity of the design. This is not an MMO. They should focus on static gear progression, gear upgrading (through skills - NPCs), and deeper character progression (perks were a good step in this direction). Technically this product was a marvel of modern computing (amazing that they pulled that off on old X/P hardware - anyone should be intrigued by the possibilities on future hardware, 8GBs of RAM will be astounding for this), and "good for what it is" gaming.

8/10, worth purchasing (if you like sandbox, hiking simulators), if you waited this long you might as well wait for a packaged game of the year release. (Do not buy this for PS3 - it is a broken product)

The fact that you rated Skyrim higher than Dragon's Dogma is :decline:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Well, enlighten me.
With a quick look at my game shelf, and wikipedia, I can safely say that Saints Row 3, LA Noire, Modern Warfare 3, Sonic Generations, Zelda Skyward Sword and Assassin's Creed Revelations were far better games than Skyrim 5.

edit: Oh, Dark Souls was also released in nov 2011? Alrighty then. One more alternative to Skyrim that kicks ass.

Are you fucking kidding me Saints Row, CoD, Sonic or Asscreep better than Skyrim this is fucking retarded I've never heard such batshit inanity.

I disagree with you.

BBMorti

Arcane

Well, enlighten me.

Rasputin said:
For someone who is very popular here, you have a very shitty taste in video games.​

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated

Well, enlighten me.

Are you fucking kidding me Saints Row, CoD, Sonic or Asscreep better than Skyrim this is fucking retarded I've never heard such batshit inanity.

I disagree with you.
And I disagree with you.

While none of the games I listed are actually games I like, but Skyrim is just such a shoddy game in absolutely every department that it's easy to make it the lowest point on the "video game quality" chart. Skyrim's graphics, sound and general design are all so horribly broken or executed so poorly that you can basically put any horrible fucking game next to it and still see that Skyrim is a much worse product. Oblivion was a far better product. I fucking hated Oblivion. The state of Skyrim does not make sense considering its budget of 85 million dollar, not even if two thirds of it went to pay for reviews, billboards and Max von Sydow. Skyrim is a shit game.

So yes, and I'm annoyed that I actually have to say this (further proof that the Codex need to fucking get its shit together) Saints Row 3, Call of Duty 3, Sonic and "Asscreep" are all infinitely better games than Skyrim. Skyrim don't even come close.

Rasputin said:
For someone who is very popular here, you have a very shitty taste in video games.​
Yes, he did say that. I'm not concerned.

Isn't PC port of Dark Souls benath all fists standards in terms of general quality and also DRM infested?
It's a bad port, like most ports are, but if you can play Mass Effect on PC you can play fucking Dark Souls.

DraQ again said:
Go to bed.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Andyman speaks truth, skyrim is essentially a 100 hour "broken" time sink.

When you play it, you get nothing out of it except for cheesy text voiced by arnold the barbarian. The gameplay itself consists of pushing W and left mouse click. The exploration... oh wait there IS no exploration, everything is on your compass, the dungeons are linear and all the items you find are meaningless because you can find them anywhere else (there is what like 9 unique items in that game?). The believability of the game world is completely shattered by the fact that you can be an "assassin" who never uses stealth, a "honorable" warrior who casts flamethrower, a "mage" who knows no magic... and yet still you rise to the top of these organizations as their leader hahahahahahahahahaha.....ahahahahahahaah. Oh wait before I forget there is also a war you can participate in, a huge war which divides the land, between two huge factions with 30 soldiers on each side....

All of this crap before the bugs/broken scripts, followed by patches that made dragons fly backwards.

Isn't PC port of Dark Souls benath all fists standards in terms of general quality and also DRM infested?

No, it absolutely is not, mainly because of how fucking amazing the actual game is. It's only consoletard graphicwhore bitching that overblows this issue into a supposed actual problem because they can not and do not want to see any merit in the game itself that renders such criticism petty and redundant. "hurr it's not in FullHD with explosions, and I can't immersively play gamepad game with popamole mouse controls to win the game automatically it sucks!".

It would be like saying that Morrowind is utterly unplayable and unworthy of attention because of clunky controls and animations and outdated graphics, or something like that.

I can safely say that (...)Modern Warfare 3 (...) and Assassin's Creed Revelations were far better games than Skyrim 5.

?

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin

No, it absolutely is not, mainly because of how fucking amazing the actual game is. It's only consoletard graphicwhore bitching that overblows this issue into a supposed actual problem because they can not and do not want to see any merit in the game itself that renders such criticism petty and redundant. "hurr it's not in FullHD with explosions, and I can't immersively play gamepad game with popamole mouse controls to win the game automatically it sucks!".

It would be like saying that Morrowind is unplayable because of clunky controls and animations and outdated graphics, or something like that.
I can play Morrowind with the tools that are part and parcel of the PC experience. I cannot play Dark Souls. I've tried and it's fucking terrible. Thereby the game is terrible. I also found the Witchers terrible, so it might not be all the controller's fault.

Xi

Arcane
(Do not buy this for PS3 - it is a broken product)
:eek:
Why the fuck would anyone get a TES game on anything but PC?

Didn't have a PC capable of playing it upon release. Purchased the buggy as fuck PS3 (multi-media machine - Netflix box) version and utterly fucking hated it (It was buggedy broken after 30 hours of play - freezes, low frame rates - insanity!!). I then switched to the master PC version later on, and replayed the entire game. Overall, I must have sunk 200+ hours into this game (and all expansions). I spent most of that time playing it on my master PC (Sager (Penis size = Ivy CPU, SSD HDD, 675M GPU, 8GB of RAM, godly screen, makes coffee for you) Laptop - hooked to my TV, while using a PS3 controller) and was amazed by the quality difference. Instant load times, crisper graphics (same visuals, just easier on the eyes - no jaggies, more vibrant color), and mods (which I didn't install - except some cheesy music mods).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So now we are in the "Skyrim is worse than Dark Souls in every way" territory.
Ok, I'll bite, let's be serious for a while.

Although I haven't played Dark Souls, just seen couple of hours worth of LP, I admit, it's an incredible game - for a console product. Incredible in the sense I'd never have believed a game with such a mood, plot and quirky gameplay can not only be made for consoles but also be a bestseller there. It's not retarded, it's not cinematic, plot is not dumbed-to-Down (in fact, most of the time, I had no idea what the fuck is going on), the combat is not just a demented button mashing and there's no hand holding or trying to make you comfortable. So yeah, in those regards it's way better than the comparably laughably childish Skyrim.

But Dark Souls plot is too weird and intangible for my taste, the world is weirdly claustrophobic, the exploration is not very satisfying and most locations are samey and rather boring. Itemization and character development is bad in both games methinks. Also Dark Souls are way more combat focused, not much of a NPC interaction or world reactivity or c&c or magic variety, in fact it's more of an ARPG than anything else. Skyrim, however badly designed and dumbed down and ridden with consolitis, is still much more epic (in the literal sense), expansive and closer to the traditional CRPGs of old.

So you're saying that Skyrim is overall worse and more consolized but it's closer to old CRPGs because it's bigger and lets you talk to more people, and DS is good "for a console game" even though it's not as "consolized" as Skyrim.

still easier to fix than Skyrim :dance:

The porting was indeed terrible but since the unofficial fanpatch that's not a problem anymore, and Games for Windows Live is retarded in that you have to download the last version from Microsoft's site (because it cannot into autopatching, it really pissed me off until I realized this), but you don't need to log on if you aren't interested in online.

I can safely say that (...)Modern Warfare 3 (...) and Assassin's Creed Revelations were far better games than Skyrim 5.

?
Are you simple?

Well, I am not the one who said that something that is even remotely tied to Morrowind and its lore is outclassed in even the most simple way by fucking Assassin Creed or Call of Duty, arguably the very epitome of the absolute bottom of the barrel, so the irony would be on you.

But Dark Souls plot is too weird and intangible for my taste, the world is weirdly claustrophobic, the exploration is not very satisfying and most locations are samey and rather boring.

Well, the game is truly weird. It's a really peculiar and creates a dissonance for the player with the way it operates on the level of nuances, little things, symbols and subtleties on even the most basic level of narration and the setting of a game (whereas games like Skyrim or even Morrowind on the most basic layer are much more accessible to the 'consumer'). I would say that it's very, uhm, profoundly Japanese way of doing a game, despite the Western medieval schtick. In a good way, though, not unlike Silent Hill.

It is supposed to alienate (to a degree) the player from this microcosm of a game in order of it to have a proper impact. It's more of an entire condensed experience akin to watching a movie film that a simple playthrough of a game. It's certainly not for everyone, I admit; not only regarding the relatively rigorous gameplay, but mostly because of this, well, weird, dark, relentless atmosphere.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated

?
Are you simple?

Well, I am not the one who said that something that is even remotely tied to Morrowind and its lore is outclassed in even the most simple way by fucking Assassin Creed or Call of Duty, arguably the very epitome of the absolute bottom of the barrel, so the irony would be on you.
Man, what the fuck is it with 2011? Jesus, was that a fucking bad year or what? (Oh right, fucking Skyrim came out.) Fucking sigh.

Lore does not equal good game. A shitty game can still have amazing lore, OR, I suppose, it can be CONNECTED (even remotely) to a game that has amazing lore. But here's the rub; I don't give a shit what the design documents look like. I don't give two shits about how well-thought out the amazing world of Skyrim is. I don't give - you guessed it - THREE shits about how amazingly detailed the writers get at describing Blorgab the Queen-father's masturbation techniques. Lore is NOT game. Lore is not how the game plays. Lore is not how the game looks. Lore is not how the game sounds. If lore ever means anything to a game, if at all, it is to serve as a inconsequential background drop for the story. There's nothing to Skyrim, or Morrowind, that requires that you take a leave of absence to study Kirkbride for a month. Lore does not mean shit when playing a game. Lore does not mean shit when discussing whether or not a game is good. If it helps, think of the two as separate entities. Even better, jump off a cliff.

(I'm so tired of all these motherfucking 2011'ers on my motherfucking forum!)

No. But that still does not explain why Call of Duty is a supposedly a better game.

I'm not defending Skyrim. What I meant is that Skyrim, at the very least, has the lore going for it, while I do not know what Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed (Modern Warfare 3 and Revelations respectively, no less) do. That is all.

But it's better to go about ranting about 2011 shitposting for the sake of being edgy, if that's "your" forum.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
No. But that still does not explain why Call of Duty is a supposedly a better game.
Oh, everything. No, I'm not kidding. Graphics, animation, sound, story are all better. It plays a lot better too, didn't require six official patches and countless fanmade mods to fix it.

I'm not defending Skyrim. What I meant is that Skyrim, at the very least, has the lore going for it, while I do not know what Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed (Modern Warfare 3 and Revelations respectively, no less) do. That is all.
But Skyrim *doesn't* have its lore going for it. Lore has nothing do with playing a game. Having good lore can never save a game from being a shitty game. It doesn't work like that. And like I said, I don't particularly *like* like Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty but compared to Skyrim they are very competently made, well put together products.

But it's better to go about ranting about 2011 shitposting for the sake of being edgy, if that's "your" forum.
Because one joke sentence is being edgy. How's that cliff jumping coming along, Hot Topic?

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.

Well I'm glad that we're establishing that lore doesn't matter but to be honest what lore is there to begin with?

If we are talking about the "Elder Scrolls" lore, I'm sorry but for 20 years of games they have shit all to show for it (magical prophesy saves the day over and over again, nothing is explained ever). If we talking specifically about skyrim then what? There is dragons who magically come back and instead of breathing fire they speak the "word" fire. Sorry but if you read even one fantasy book a year you are going to see that idea used often. There is nothing interesting about skyrim or it's people, some place at the end of the world where all the flatmates and wildlife are trying to kill each other 24/7.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom