Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Luzur

Good Sir
Starting a new guy might be extreme, but there were plenty of times in the early game where you could get totally fucked by a dungeon to the point of being forced to reload. Usually standing yourself in an unpassable underwater area or falling down a one-way pit that can't be climbed out of.
In Daggerfall you can climb vertical walls. Or Recall out, if you don't forget to anchor. But nevertheless, dungeons there are too complex. Finding exit is one thing, finding quest objective that could be everywhere...
I think Arena had the best dungeons - not too complex, not too simple.

The climbing mechanic always screwed up for me. On the rare occasions I could actually reach the end of a climb, instead of climbing onto a ledge my guy would hover for about 5 seconds then plummet all the way down and usually die on impact.

Arena's dungeons were great though. I love how much they reward the use of Passwall as well.

its all in the angle, you see, you gotta kinda move your char abit to the either side, then the climb will work much better.

^out?

PtuNLma.jpg

Ziem

Arbiter
This thread in which the OP states that skyrim is worse than oblivion and to prove his point compares skyrim to morrowind (thats some fucking next level logic) somehow has almost 200 pages and is still active despite being over 2 years old
Is this normal on these forums?

Skyrim with mods (requiem, deadly dragons, etc) is actually pretty decent btw

aris

Arcane
This thread in which the OP states that skyrim is worse than oblivion and to prove his point compares skyrim to morrowind (thats some fucking next level logic) somehow has almost 200 pages and is still active despite being over 2 years old

Let me explain something to you. Many codexers are nostalgia fags to the core, and will believe blindly that anything that is older is better than the newer product, no matter how many proofs they are presented to the contrary.

From what I can tell most people in this thread are aware that Skyrim is an improvement over the shitfest that was Oblivion. The few tards that think otherwise usually end up getting all of their shit arguments contradicted.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The title of this thread has become an inside joke and a trap for noobs who don't get it.

I could be a spoilsport and change it to "The Skyrim Megathread", but it's just too funny.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Let me explain something to you. Many codexers are nostalgia fags to the core, and will believe blindly that anything that is older is better than the newer product, no matter how many proofs they are presented to the contrary.

There are a few of those, but not the majority by any means.

Cadmus

Arcane

Btw fuck you, die in a car fire. Normal on these forums is to be either edgy/popamole popcorn retard/nostalgia fag/anything else that is your opinion is wrong. Therefore one must study the codex carefully to learn the truth. I always look into codex to see what I should think about a game and the opinion that is the least hated I adopt as my own, knowing the gentlemen once again saved my soul and brain power.
The title of this thread has become an inside joke and a trap for noobs who don't get it.

I could be a spoilsport and change it to "The Skyrim Megathread", but it's just too funny.

It's not funny. Every time I look at the thread title I'm reassured in my opinion because the thread title wouldn't lie to me.

Machocruz

Arcane
Started playing this again to see if I can find any interesting items or dungeons before I try Requiem. I have a level 17 'battlemag" and a lvl 7 thieving character. And some questions for those who've seen a lot of the content (vanilla game).

1. Any point in caring about lock-picking or thievery in general? Like Oblivion, do high level chests still have crap in them? Any vaults or treasure halls to infiltrate? Is the item scaling as bullshit as it was in OB?
2. When do I start getting unique items? Do they come at the end of questlines? All the shit I can craft is better than anything I'm finding or being given.
3. When do the questlines start introducing Dwemer ruins? I haven't seen one yet.
4. What spells and skills do people think are worthwhile? I've looked over the perk trees and nothing stands out. Spells don't seem interesting either.
5. Pertaining to #4, are "builds" a thing in this game? Anyone try making a Necromancer or Paladin type character? Is it gratifying to play as a specific class, even if only in a LARPy manner?
6. What is the most satisfying way to play: Follow quests, or hiking simulator and dungeon crawling on one's own, or a mixture of both?

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Just start Requiem now and forget about the vanilla. Vanilla mobs and items are scaled, Requiem introduces new (and useful) perks that require to actually have a "build" as you said. I don't remember if main story had dwemer ruins but there are those in the game.

Eyeball

Arcane
I recommend downloading both Requiem and Live Another Life. Requiem to make the basic game ten times more challenging and rewarding than Vanilla and LAL for all your LARPY needs. I find that the game is better when you ignore the entire Dovahkin business and instead pick a role to play. My last 2 games I played as a Khajit thief starting in the Riften thieves guild with the goal of stealing as much gold as possible and then as a heavy armour orc warrior setting out to become guildmaster of the Companions and help the Empire to victory in the civil war. Both tales of adventure were far more engrossing than what Bethesdah envisioned and is how the game SHOULD be played, IMO.

Most fun character type to play in Requiem is a mage, IMO. See my previous posts in this thread and in the mods thread for details, but the first 15 levels or so are en exercise in constant facerape as everything can oneshot you and then, once you aquire some halfway decent spells, you become an unstoppable robed terminator burning down giants and dragons in 5 seconds flat. Very rewarding, considering how difficult Requiem is in general. The penultimate Mage Guild quest is nigh-on impossible in Requiem, though, with retarded numbers of high level regenerating enemies that all oneshot you, so come well prepared.

Unique items are spread across the land, most of them found at the end of Daedric quests or guild questlines. Most are very worthwhile owning, so if you need gear upgrades they're definitely worth pursuieng. Don't use spoilers though, many of the Daedric artifact quests are hidden very well. I've put in about 150 hours of Skyrimming and I still haven't found all Daedric quests.

Dwemer ruins will become necessary to spelunk about halfway through the main quest and also make appearances in the mage and thief questlines. If playing Requiem, do not go down a Dwemer hole until you're well powerful, the things down there HURT.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
1. Any point in caring about lock-picking or thievery in general? Like Oblivion, do high level chests still have crap in them? Any vaults or treasure halls to infiltrate? Is the item scaling as bullshit as it was in OB?

Skyrim combines scaling and static loot. I got an ebony bow once at like level 5, so you can get some nice random shit out of chests. Sneaking in general is super fun and powerful, as are bows. The lockpicking tree is useless for the actual lockpicking minigame, but the rare loot perks can be good if you aren't crafting (see below).

2. When do I start getting unique items? Do they come at the end of questlines? All the shit I can craft is better than anything I'm finding or being given.

Mostly quest rewards, yes. And if you do smithing and enchanting most of them will suck. If you like exploration I would stay away from crafting, so that quest rewards are more powerful and rewarding. There are some static treasures in the game, check the wikis for lists.

3. When do the questlines start introducing Dwemer ruins? I haven't seen one yet.

Can't remember which questlines send you to a Dwemer ruin when, but the whole game map is open. Just walk to one and do it. If you really need it to be a quest go to the dock in Riften and talk to the crazy Argonian chick, she gives you a quest for a Dwemer ruin.

4. What spells and skills do people think are worthwhile? I've looked over the perk trees and nothing stands out. Spells don't seem interesting either.

Magic sucks in Skyrim. Just do restoration and ignore everything else. They made rogues badass but massively fucked up mages.

5. Pertaining to #4, are "builds" a thing in this game? Anyone try making a Necromancer or Paladin type character? Is it gratifying to play as a specific class, even if only in a LARPy manner?

Contrary to what many will tell you builds are a bigger deal in Skyrim than ever before in TES. The perk system makes you specialize because you are only going to get 50 perks or so in a normal playthrough without being insane 300 hours guy, and those perks come somewhat slowly over time, especially after level 10 or so. So they define you quickly and effectively. While the basic ones at the bottom might be boring damage buffs, the higher ones really introduce important things for the "class" you're playing, like being able to shield bash or get critical hits as a rogue, Put the game on a notch harder setting difficulty wise and play a role, choosing perks which match that role. It should be difficult and rewarding enough.

6. What is the most satisfying way to play: Follow quests, or hiking simulator and dungeon crawling on one's own, or a mixture of both?

All TES games focus on exploration. Hike simulator the fuck out of it, doing quests as you stumble upon them and feel like it.

Ziem

Arbiter
Started playing this again to see if I can find any interesting items or dungeons before I try Requiem. I have a level 17 'battlemag" and a lvl 7 thieving character. And some questions for those who've seen a lot of the content (vanilla game).

1. Lockpicking and pickpocketing in the vanilla are pretty worthless, since you don't need any perks to open locks and no one has really anything interesting to steal (since money is not a problem). Sneaking is great though. Item scaling can be pretty annoying sometimes.
2. Crafting is completely fucking broken in this game and when abused makes exploring the game's world very unrewarding, since the loot/quest rewards will be always shit in comparison to what you can create with smithing+enchanting. Oh, and the unique items.. most of them are given to the player after finishing a daedric quest.
3. There are a quite a few of those quests.. not in the early game though.
4. Aside from the broken as fuck smithing and enchanting you have bows, sneaking, light armor, 1h weapons, conjuration.. and I think that's it :|
In general magic is pretty underpowered, especially destruction.
5. Builds are "a thing", mainly due to the perk system.
6. I'd say a mix of both is best. Personally I don't like the main questline that much and I try to avoid it, but some of the side quests are pretty cool.

seriously though.. dun b stupet, yous mods. Vanilla sucks in comparison, mods fix a lot of issues (broken crafting, exploits, bugs, balance, shitty magic, level scaling, etc ...)

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Both Illusion and Conjuration magic are OP, Destruction has pitiful damage on vanilla but with stagger perk it renders one invulnerable.

circ

Arcane

I haven't actually ever finished Skyrim. But I've seen most dungans. Anyway. Chests are shit. You can find stuff like one gold piece at level 50+. I don't know if this mod Morrowloot fixes that, not sure what it does. I haven't seen any vaults really or adventures for great treasure. Might be some quest mods for that.
There are a bunch of unique items you can get pretty early even. Unfortunately they use vanilla assets - meshes and textures, so short of a new name, it's just like any other weapon. Some daedra quest items have unique assets, and some others - axe from Companion quest line, must finish to get and you need USKP to have it not be total shit I think. Axe from Vile if you choose to kill someone, not sure it's that good. Molag Bal's mace, pretty decent actually. And some 2h hammer from orc daedra quest. Few others.
Well, you need some elder scrolls about midway (?) in main quest line - dwemer ruin. Quest for Mjoll in Riften involves dwemer ruin. Dawnguard also has dwemer ruin trips, but it ties into main quest although you don't have to have done the main quest. Dawnguard also has a pretty interesting 'treasure' hunt quest with a ghost companion - optional sidequest.
Nothing really. Maybe try SkyRe, lots of new spells. In vanilla the only useful spell is probably muffle.
Sure. I mean you can be everything and join everything pretty much. But you can specialize sort of. Be a vampire (get Better Vampires). A ranger (get Frostfall). Uh yeah. I guess you could LARP a paladin in the Meridia quest. Some quests - mostly daedric ones offer an evil way out.
After a while I found that the most interesting way to play is to say fuck you to dragons - never visit Dragonsreach to start dragon spawns, and just run around doing sidequests and looting shit.

http://theskyrimblog.ning.com/group/character-building/forum/topics/the-character-build-archive

:M

It's actually kind of entertaining to play as a "themed" character. The TES games let you play as a godlike guy who can do everything, but that usually devolves into playing as an invisible warrior that whacks people with his enchanted sword and picks locks as a hobby. The games are easy enough already, having no restrictions at all makes it even worse. When Requiem is updated I'm thinking of playing as this guy.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
After a while I found that the most interesting way to play is to say fuck you to dragons - never visit Dragonsreach to start dragon spawns, and just run around doing sidequests and looting shit.

Problem with this is you'll never get any dragon shouts, which are actually really useful if you're not playing a mage.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Actually, there are a few dragons that spawn anyway and Dawnguard adds a couple more. The words to the shouts can be learned in various locations before the MQ begins - well, if you use Live Another Life anyway, not sure about vanilla. Everything in the game is so easy that it really doesn't matter though.

In vanilla, dragons only start appearing after you kill the first one in Whiterun, starting the main quest. Before that places inhabited by dragons will have generic enemies (so you can learn words from walls but you won't have the souls to use them)

I just use a mod that sets random dragon encounters to zero in conjunction with others that make existing dragons stronger. There, no more overgrown cliffracers.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Ah, but in Dawnguard 2 dragons spawn from out of the ice regardless of whether or not the MQ has begun. Also, some of the spawns in rest of the game are bugged and dragons spawn anyway on very rare occasions. You should be able to get between 2 and 5 souls before even starting the dragon portion of the MQ.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom