Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Eyeball

Arcane
I am deeply ashamed to have been so entertained by that crap.

A bit like how I feel about Skyrim itself, really.

Avellion

Erudite
I've even seen many similar comments on the Codex and RPG Watch, where people turn their noses up at a game if it strays too far from standard Tolkien masturbation.
It amazes me that people that boring exist.
Some people enjoy fantasy for its mix between the familiar and different. And Tolkien's fantasy setting is just that. It provides escapism without feeling alien. When I was playing Terraria with a bunch of friends, they were complaining about the town I built, just because the architecture and material used fell outside their comfort zone. To which I replied then build your own, which they did... and built a generic keep and a few houses.

Personally I find fantasy settings that stay far too close to the standard Tolkien Masturbation to be ironically enough lacking in the fantasy aspect.

Akasen

Augur
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So as a person who absolutely abhors Oblivion, hasn't really played Morrowind, and finds Arena and Daggerfall painful, how would I like Skyrim?

Put that in a better question, how does Skyrim compare to it's predecessors, and as a game by itself: Is it good or banal

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
So as a person who absolutely abhors Oblivion, hasn't really played Morrowind, and finds Arena and Daggerfall painful, how would I like Skyrim?

Put that in a better question, how does Skyrim compare to it's predecessors, and as a game by itself: Is it good or banal

If your first sentence stands true, Skyrim might be good for you. Final verdict rests upon the reason as to why you abhor Oblivion and find Arena/Daggerfall painful, though.

Akasen

Augur
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

If your first sentence stands true, Skyrim might be good for you. Final verdict rests upon the reason as to why you abhor Oblivion and find Arena/Daggerfall painful, though.
With Oblivion, I just found it repetitive and not really drawing me into its world. It felt like I was playing in a very flat and uninteresting world that just really didn't care about me at all. Hard for me to sum up really.

Arena and Daggerfall? Admittedly I have a hard time jumping at the oldies, but good god did I just find combat a chore. Those games could have been the greatest things ever made in some other aspect, but holy fuck did I just want to kill myself the moment I saw anything that remotely resembled something that could fight me.

Now if you excuse me, I gotta go change my identity and hole up in a bunker. I feel I have spoken blasphemy.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
If you want to get drawn into the world, Morrowind makes a far more coherent and intersting world than Skyrim. The graphics are a little dated now, but there are some decent mods out there to remedy this. Skyrim looks pretty and the hiking is decently entertaining. But it doesn't hold a candle to Morrowind when it comes to making a believable world. Especially the factions in Morrowind (Fighters, Thieves, Wizards, Hlaaly, Telvanni, Redoran, Dark Brotherhood, the different vampire factions, am I forgetting anyone here?) which give the impression that they exist as actual entities and not just some backdrop for a silly quest chain. Morrowind wizards guild has members of low ranks doing chores like getting alchemy ingredients and high-level members engaging in politics. Skyrim mages guild is essentially Harry Potter. And it's the same for every other skyrim guild. Warriors guild turns into motherfucking twilight and thieves guild have depressingly few quests centered around stealing for stealings sake.

Cadmus

Arcane

With Oblivion, I just found it repetitive and not really drawing me into its world. It felt like I was playing in a very flat and uninteresting world that just really didn't care about me at all. Hard for me to sum up really.

Arena and Daggerfall? Admittedly I have a hard time jumping at the oldies, but good god did I just find combat a chore. Those games could have been the greatest things ever made in some other aspect, but holy fuck did I just want to kill myself the moment I saw anything that remotely resembled something that could fight me.

Now if you excuse me, I gotta go change my identity and hole up in a bunker. I feel I have spoken blasphemy.

Skyrim is Oblivion with less skills, more action focus, probably better art direction and as stale and non-interactive as ever. It has the wort UI since Hitler. It's as vast and empty as possible and nothing you do matters or has any impact on the world. VA is as horrendous as in Oblivion and F3. You can download 34034304933 mods and pretend the game reacts to anything you do but it still wont.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Well, combat surely has been made ultra-easy in Skyrim. But, in the like of what you said, I'd stay clear of it too, unless you really really really really fancy snowy landscapes and would play anything that was set in such places.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Skyrim's voice acting is okay. Nowhere near as bad as Oblivion's. Yeah there are tons of repeated voices but... not surprising with so many npcs.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
^ That. Morrowind is a HUGE step up from Arena and Daggerfall (neither of which aged very well). Overall Morrowind >> Skyrim >>>>> Oblivion. Skyrim has decent content and exploration but it's still fairly shallow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom