Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Stabwound

Arcane
Mangoose said:
Actually I just noticed a "bEssentialTakeNoDamage" field in Skyrim.ini VOila, SCO.
That will allow quest NPCs to die, yeah, as far as I can tell. The problem is that the game was designed with the assumption that important NPCs wouldn't die, so there are a lot of sections where NPCs will get massacred by dragons and whatnot because they run out like psychopaths and stand directly in the dragon's line of fire. So, there's a good chance that a dragon or some other thing will murder a main quest NPC and render the game unwinnable.

That's under the assumption that they won't magically come back to life again or show up later as though nothing ever happened, which could be the case. :smug:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I thought the point of "Radiant Story" was that any quests (I guess sidequests) would transfer owners or w/e if the giver died.

Drakron

Arcane
Mangoose said:
I thought the point of "Radiant Story" was that any quests (I guess sidequests) would transfer owners or w/e if the giver died.

No, point of that is generating quests on the fly ... not excusing psychotic behavior of people that think this Saint's Row A.D. ...

As people might complain about Essential NPCs its something that prevents oddities from killing them as much as combat, even if Skyrim apparently lacks the dangers that Oblivion had in relation to falling off and dying its still better safe then sorry.

Rhalle

Magister
Brief comment on VA

It's better in places and worse in some.

Why they have a dude with a weird, Spanish-flavored accent doing virtually every important male Nord NPC in a game centered on Nord-ness is mind-boggling.

And when it's not him, it's the guy who does a horrible Arnold Schwartzenegger impersonation. Seriously, whenever that guy pops up as a voice, I just start saying "GET TO DEH CHOPPA" out loud to entertain myself until he's through.

And this guy has, hands down, worst "voice actor" I've ever heard.

Farengar_Secret-Fire.jpg

He's so flat, so tone-deaf, and doesn't know how to read dramatically and is so oddly in and out of a fake accent that he makes anything in pre-patched Witcher sound top-shelf.

Then again, the women are usually pretty good, and every so often you get a really excellent male voice, like the greybeard at the monestary.

To the game's credit they did get Max von Sydow to do a voice.

and I think I never heard the Dark Brotherhood/Blow up Megaton guy either, thank god. There is just something about his voice... I think it isn't human.

ksjav

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
player.modav healrate -0.7 to fix the health regen thing :bounce: Also good idea to do it on companions, those are OP as fuck.
The game actually becomes easier on master difficulty with companions, as they can tank the fuck out of almost anything with the increased damage reduction.

Flubby

Novice
I distinctly remember Pete Hines saying that you can give companions commands to attack certain enemies during combat. Another failed promise? Or am I missing something?

Multi-headed Cow

Flubby said:
I distinctly remember Pete Hines saying that you can give companions commands to attack certain enemies during combat. Another failed promise? Or am I missing something?
Technically you kind of can. You have to talk to the NPC, and then there's a dialog option along the lines of "I have something I want you to do", which puts your crosshairs into NPC ordering-mode. Then you can have them wait specific areas, attack certain NPCs, try to steal items, etc.
I don't know if there's a hotkey to order NPCs around or if you have to activate it via dialog. Not something I ever felt like using yet.

Also bros, though I have noticed some level scaling (Loot seems to be improving, gold rewards for quests are getting higher, noticing ever so slightly more "Subclass" enemies) it's still much more acceptable than Oblivion. For example, regular draugr took a few hits to take down in the beginning of the game for me, but I hack them down in one regular hit now so my character has gotten noticeably more powerful. Since I hear it's more difficult increasing magic damage maybe casters have a harder time of it, but as a mostly pure fighter it mostly* hasn't bothered me.

*Except for the dragons. Even if I try to fanwank it and imagine they're young dragons, they still should be tougher than bears and trolls sabercars.

Gord

Arcane
Multi-headed Cow said:
*Except for the dragons. Even if I try to fanwank it and imagine they're young dragons, they still should be tougher than bears and trolls sabercars.

Depending on what "aspect" you are looking at, they are. I can (right now) "easily" kill sabercats with ~3 sneak-shots.
This is definitely not possible with dragons. They have lot's more hitpoints and armor.
The sabercats however have a nasty habbit of jumping right at you and deal lots of damage, while the dragons like to circle above you and their breath-attack seems comparably weak - or they just are bad at aiming, don't know.

Woe me, however, if a sabercat spots me before I spot it.

MCA
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Bros, has anyone posted about the fact that apparently in the lore Morrowind has gotten nuked off the map between Oblivion and Skyrim?

WAT

Drakron said:
Mangoose said:

No, point of that is generating quests on the fly ... not excusing psychotic behavior of people that think this Saint's Row A.D. ...

As people might complain about Essential NPCs its something that prevents oddities from killing them as much as combat, even if Skyrim apparently lacks the dangers that Oblivion had in relation to falling off and dying its still better safe then sorry.

FNV didn't need any of that shit. It's the mark of lazy and unimaginative developers who can't even implement a tactically aware AI who knows better to stay out of harm's way.

Gerrard

Arcane
Mangoose said:
"Which Skyrim dev lied the most?"

Data4

Arcane
villain of the story said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Bros, has anyone posted about the fact that apparently in the lore Morrowind has gotten nuked off the map between Oblivion and Skyrim?

WAT

Ministry of Truth crashed into Vivec, causing Red Mountain to erupt and lay waste to Vvardenfell. I've yet to find anything specifically talking about mainland Morrowind, however. Maybe the novel goes into more detail.

Gord

Arcane
As Black marsh invaded Morrowind there has to be something left invading for one would guess.

Data4 said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:

WAT

Ministry of Truth crashed into Vivec, causing Red Mountain to erupt and lay waste to Vvardenfell. I've yet to find anything specifically talking about mainland Morrowind, however.

Got itself invaded and conquered by Black Marsh shortly after Oblivion, because the Argonians figured it was the perfect time to troll.

Black Marsh: U mad, Bro? :smug:

Morrowind: :rage:

crufty

Arcane
Rhalle said:
And when it's not him, it's the guy who does a horrible Arnold Schwartzenegger impersonation. Seriously, whenever that guy pops up as a voice, I just start saying "GET TO DEH CHOPPA" out loud to entertain myself until he's through.

Lol. I thought the exact same thing first time I heard the guards talk like that.

:thumbsup:

Glad to see I'm not the only one disappoint with the lost optty to mess with thieves guild. If there is one guild that should be up for cut throat petty street wars it's thieves guild.

It's not a major omg this game sucks moment, but would have really been sweet.

Luzur

Good Sir
Data4 said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:

WAT

Ministry of Truth crashed into Vivec, causing Red Mountain to erupt and lay waste to Vvardenfell. I've yet to find anything specifically talking about mainland Morrowind, however. Maybe the novel goes into more detail.

according from what ive read, Vvardenfell island and surrounding landscape is now small charred islands, only the western and southern parts of Morrowind is left, which fell under the control of Argonia (south part with Almalexia) and Skyrim (western part with Silgrad Towers) right after the event.

but since 200 years have past (lol oh Bethesda.) i dont know what the situation is, have not found any books about it.

Mayday

Augur
Yeah, the passage of time is a weird thing here. Previously the time gaps were relatively small and getting shorter and shorter (~17, ~12, ~8, ~5? something about that) and now BOOM 200 years.

Luzur said:
according from what ive read, Vvardenfell island and surrounding landscape is now small charred islands . . .
Vvardenfell is still in most of one piece. You can even see it in-game. That one's courtesy of some fellow in the only decent section of the Bethsoft forums.

ChristofferC

Magister
I'm 30 hours in now and still having a lot of fun. It's way too easy to get ridiculous gear though. Smithing and enchanting is way op.

Gord

Arcane
No, I think it's a view you only get by disabling the border regions and traveling as far east as possible. There's a similar view for Cyrodiil, although I've no idea what purpose they serve.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom