Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Discussion in 'Bethesda Game Studios' started by baronjohn, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Turjan Arcane

Turjan
    Indeed. I guess the Altmer don't want to have to do anything with Dunmer anymore, ever since the latter interbred with Klingon.

^ Top  
  2. fizzelopeguss Arcane

fizzelopeguss
    Not getting all the Ulfric hate... he's pretty BRO actually. You see completely that the empire are pussy-faggots. Saul tigh invites the thalmor ambassador to the ceasefire negotiation like a gormless cunt, ulfric calls her a bitch and tells her to GTFO. All the dunmer "racism" bullshit is of their own making, haughty assholes who can't get over the fact they're not in morrowind anymore.

The stormcloaks plan to war with the dominion once they kick the empire out, and he pretty much hands tullius his balls when at the end he says the empire he bled for would have never surrendered.

ulfric has all the makings of a tiber septim...and he's Buliwyf from the 13th warrior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQnW4sci ... re=related

Here he is clearing the reach of forsworn. (you so original bethsoft)

^ Top  
  3. Mayday Augur

Mayday
    ^ Top  
  4. Flacracker Educated

Flacracker
    ^ Top  
  5. Genma:TheDestroyer Arcane

Genma:TheDestroyer
    Someone on another board summed it up pretty nicely.

There are some spoilers (to do with Ulfric), so avoid if you care.

It gets better; the Empire's original plan for enforcing the ban on Talos worship was, not to enforce the ban on Talos worship. The Empire signed that treaty provision with no intention of giving it anything more than lip service.

Which is normally bad behavior, but when you're fucking over the Thalmor then go Empire.

So, for years and years, the Empire's 'ban' on Talos worship was 'Don't do it in public, where the Thalmor ambassador can see it and complain'. Everybody and their Nord sister still kept their little Talos shrines in their homes and on the down-low, the Empire pretended not to see everything, and while it still wasn't perfect it was the best compromise they could give between 'religious freedom' and 'ending the Great War before it exhausted the resources of the entire fucking continent into a stalemate'.

Note that in-game, to this day, Legate Rikke (Tullius' second-in-command) and Jarl Elisif still swear by Talos, or privately make offerings to Talos shrines. They just can't, y'know, do it where Imperial authorities can hear them...

And then along came someone who, after putting down a Forsworn rebellion in Markarth before the Empire could, made a huge public stink about Talos worship, built a temple to Talos in his home city, claimed the right to publicly worship Talos as his hero's reward for defeating the Forsworn, and basically upset the entire applecart.

Armed now with proof that the Empire was respecting their treaty obligations re: Talos worship about as seriously as Lex Luthor respects the law (i.e, only to the minimum pretense necessary to maintain public image), the Thalmor busted in demanding the right to send in "observers" to make sure that the White-Gold Concordat was enforced themselves. Boom, Justicars. Boom, people hauled off in the middle of the night. Boom, outrage of the Nords. Boom, bloody civil war.

I'm sure by now you've figured that this mysterious 'someone' was Ulfric Stormcloak.

Oh yeah, and if you've read his dossier from the chest in the Thalmor ambassador's office, you know who gave Ulfric the idea to do it in the first place.

So yeah. I go Empire every time. Because going the other way just hands it straight to the Thalmor's gambit.

PS: Yes, I know that Ulfric doesn't see himself as any kind of Thalmor puppet. He thinks he's broken free of them. He thinks he's defying them now.

He's such an idiot.

^ Top  
  6. Heresiarch Prophet

Heresiarch
    Skyrim is bringing memes all over the internet...the stupid arrow in the knee jokes spread everywhere even other countries. Bethsoft must be pretty proud of it.

^ Top  
  7. Wyrmlord Arcane

Wyrmlord
    In short, it's actually a somewhat intelligent game.

Yes, in actual implementation, it may look a bit silly, but there were definitely good writers coming up for the concept behind the intrigues.

^ Top  
  8. Black Arcane

Black
    Lookie here, fag.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpV6t3-uhuE

A GURL GAMER with TITS is capable of making a way more rational and critical review of Skyrim than most of you "better than oblivion" dumbfucks.
    Maybe you guys should grow pussies instead?

^ Top  
  9. The King of Comedy Educated

The King of Comedy
    :lol:

^ Top  
  10. tennishero Novice

tennishero
    :decline:

skyrim IS a real RPG compared to planescape- torment you with lousy combat, terribad grafixs, the worst portraits ever in a vidya game

the first 2 fallouts are HARDLY real RPGs with their shit combat engines where the enemies take 10 minutes a turn if there is a pack of more than 6 of them- and (honestly) fallout 2 was an expanision pack really

skyrim is no casual RPG- its genius (however) lies in its incredily easy to get into- but incredibly deep complexity

it is truly a genre buster- a new "halo or goldeneye" IE- a game that turns the entire genre on its head

emil's been a legend in the video game scene since the thief days but on skyrim i think he has outdone even himself- he's reached shafer levels of genius

^ Top  
  11. bonescraper Guest

bonescraper
    Raychul? Is she a lesbian version of Jaesun? She said she has a wife in Skyrim. I see a pattern here. :lol:

^ Top  
  12. The Wizard Educated

The Wizard
    problem is, the peace treaty was far more beneficial to the thalmor (who have barely any fighting men and rely heavily on ambushes and political maneuvering according to the rising threat.). remember also that the peace treaty did not only cost the empire a god, but also an elite unit of warriors/spies/dragonslayers(how convenient). the empire also seems to hold the believe that this is just another war, not a fight against omnicidal mystics that want to blow up everything. that it was signed at all was the zenith of mede retardation, because what would the thalmor have done if it wasn't signed? fight until the last man, risk losing and destroy centuries of planning? and what if they had won against the empire? there were still skyrim and hammerfell, the latter of which kicked out the thalmor ON ITS OWN, and the first was founded by 500 dudes eliminating an entire elven civilization. yeah, i bet they would have loved making open war with those guys. especially since the leader already was known to be of similar genocidal stock that they themselves are.
    ( in the dossier: see how they piss their pants at the prospect of a stormcloak victory)

the introduction of justicars as an answer to ulfrics demand of open talos worship was actually a gain for humanity.
    how many generations until it would have died if it was only practiced under the table and talos be utterly forgotten? 4-5? the thalmor could have just sat back and let it slowly die out, but instead they sent out SS troopers and build concentration camps, upsetting enough people to start an open rebellion. but instead of channeling all that hatred (and extra manpower) towards the thalmor, what does the empire do? bare it's ass and let itself get fucked.

^ Top  
  13. tennishero Novice

tennishero
    even amongst the dreaded rpgcodicks the bethesda juganaught of awesomeness has converteted the decline lovers

skyrim is the greatest game ever made that everyone should play

its an honour to play a game this good

i have to admit i didnt think Todd had it in him to make something this MAJESTIC

bravo Todd- you shall henceforth never be called toddler again

from now on you shall be sir Todd Bethrocks- KING OF THE NEW BLACK ISLE

^ Top  
  14. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Quoting this dumbfuck really piss off those of us that have this shit spamposter on ignore.

Just FYI Cassidy.

^ Top  
  15. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    Haha, you tricked me into watching the entire thing in the hopes of finding some :incline: Oh Black you little scamp, you.

"At least in Divinity 2 I got to BE a dragon!!11"

:troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: out of :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll:

^ Top  
  16. CorpseZeb Learned

CorpseZeb
    Fascinating... Some people really DO care about Skyrim backbone story/history. Personally, I never bother. Come to think about, last game I cared about the story was Anachronox. So, I ask in that way, is Skyrim better/bigger/funnier/prettier/shaderier/vexterier "bike" simulator than Oblivion? For people who don't want to remember a difference between Dunmer/Altmer what-ever-tolkien-race-war-clone-with-anicent-roman-greek-persian-germans-stuff and just want to effectively piss self-ego over gameland...?

^ Top  
  17. Wulfstand Prophet

Wulfstand
    So is this Bethesda's canon, or is it just the writer's choice on the matter?

^ Top  
  18. Drakron Arcane

Drakron
    Until the next game we will not know and they can just ignore it.

You can ignore the whole Civil War as a quest "Season Unending" that is the negotiation of a truce that only happens if you have not taken one of the side to its conclusion.

^ Top  
  19. Commissar Draco Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar Patron

Commissar Draco
    Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Battle of Solitude, 4E 201. The Battle of Solitude occurs if the Stormcloaks have liberated the Holds under Imperial control. Ulfric Stormcloak personally leads the assault on the last bastion of Imperial power in Skyrim, fighting with his men to the doors of Castle Dour. Ulfric and Galmar Stone-Fist fight and kill General Tullius and Legate Rikke, putting an end to the Empire's efforts to retain Skyrim. Stormcloak troops are left in Solitude to ensure the cooperation of Jarl Elisif the Fair. Skyrim becomes an independent country with Ulfric Stormcloak as its High-King, and the ban on Talos worship is lifted.

Since Bethshoft never gave victory to anti Imperial side of conflicts in previus TES games (I didn't played Redguad though) The former version is more likely to be canon. Storm cloaks kicking Thalmor ass is ridiculus... 40-50% of Nords of Skyrim (with all non Nords send to Madagascar) vs Entire World.... Of course this is nothing for Nordic ubermenshen... just look how Stormclock controled Holds looks like. :lol:

^ Top  
  20. Black Arcane

Black
    Compared to our pussified "good for what it is!" morons, even she is an incline. Get rid of twinfails and get her, at least she ain't flat.

^ Top  
  21. Turjan Arcane

Turjan
    Well, you seem to guess the exception: In Redguard, the Imperials lost.

^ Top  
  22. Mozgoëbstvo Learned

Mozgoëbstvo
    Whe, oh when, will this thread die? What does it take? Goddamn Amalur?

^ Top  
  23. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    I wouldn't be surprised if Bethesda simply set the next game another few hundred years hence, and left enough hints as to the events of Skyrim that left it open to any interpretation.

^ Top  
  24. The Wizard Educated

The Wizard
    redguard ended with the rebellion winning. though hammerfell later signed a alliance treaty or something
    first: if ulfric and his stormcloaks were so hardcore racist he would not allow elves to live in his city, much less operate shops or FIGHT IN HIS ARMY. he has an altmer captain, for example.
    second: the thalmor are a minor faction even among the aldmeri dominion. they have only one "true" ally in the khajit, and a bunch of vassals that most likely hate their guts. skyrim also has an ally in hammerfell, and most likely the empire itself should the new emperor be less of a moron.

^ Top  
  25. Drakron Arcane

Drakron
    Forgot to address this.

The treaty was the same as the original demand.

I think you are making a error.

The Blades primary mission since Tiber Septim until the Warp in the West was recovering the pieces of the Numidium, I can point out their failure with Jagar Tharn and the whole Simulacrum.

Besides you can disband something without really disbanding something, you just extinguish the agency and create a new one with the exact same staff and the exact same purpose with a different name.

Because the Thalmor does not advertise themselves as that?

I would say the Empire holds no illusions over the Thalmor but you are asking for the Empire to do what Tiber Septim could not in a better situation without using a Deus ex Machina.

Fact is the Empire is not in a position to press forward but neither are the Thalmor.

To start the Thalmor made the mistake of pressing onward and end the war by capturing the Imperial City as the Cyrodiil invasion was initially a diversion from their main objective of Hammerfell, it was the continued successes that made then try to win the war by capturing the Imperial City and the Emperor.

You ask what could they done? The situation on Hammefell was far from over and the fact was the Empire had thrown everything they had in retaking the Imperial City, the Aldmeri Dominion still had their Hammefell forces.

The Thalmor even attempted peace when they captured the Imperial City so what do you think their terms would be? It was a situation were neither side was in a position to make any real demands and as you can say Titus Mede II was weak but the Imperial Army was simply in no shape to fight.

Hammerfell kicking then out was not on "their own", the Imperial Army fought the Aldmeri forces during the initial invasion until they were ordered to return to Cyrodiil and also the destruction of the Aldmeri forces in Cyrodiil meant those would not be used in Hammerfell.

Yes, I would like to thank then for the Falmer ... you know, the annoying blind underground elves.

And once again I throw back my Tiber Septim comment.

Of course for the Thalmor its best the situation maintains because it chips away the Empire strength by forcing them to commit troops to Skyrim and also denying them from full use of Skyrim resources.

Lets assume Skyrim becomes independent, to start the Imperial Legions will no longer suffer from losses due to Stromcloaks and will pull back to Cyrodiil (and High Rock), if the Aldmeri Dominion attempts the rather foolish invasion of Skyrim (check a map, they would have to pass by either High Rock that is Imperial Held or by Black Marsh, Morrowind/Vvardenfell that is even more problematic) if the chips would be down they would ask the Empire for assistance and it would be granted, similar if they attempt another invasion of Cyrodiil chances are Ulfric would offer help because of what happened in the Imperial City during the Great War.

A victory of either side is also a situation were they lose.

Except the reason they are allowed to operate is because it was rubbed on their faces the treaty was being open violated.

I think I had this conversation before and once again ...

In Daggerfall there were the Eight Divines, Talos was not active worshiped in the Iliac Bay (High Rock and Hammerfell) as in even Oblivion Talos had no dedicated Temple in Cyrodiil.

In Morrowind he was not even part of the Imperial Cult, there was a Talos cult but they separated from the Imperial Cult (with good reason, they were a little crazy).

This is not the first time I see harping Talos as having widespread worship when even in Skyrim he have the grand total of TWO temples.

Also Kakure Kirishitan.

And here is were you are wrong. you see the Thalmor could not do much as long the Empire was holding the Treaty, with the Stormcloak rebellion they pushed for the Justicars to go to Skyrim and uphold the Treaty as the Empire clearly could not.

The rebellion did not come from the Thalmor Justicar hunts, the Thalmor Justicar hunts come from the rebellion allowing the Thalmor to argue the Empire being unable to uphold the Treaty.

Because currently there is no open war with the Aldmeri Dominion and the Empire have yet to regain the strength to fight then, I would say the Thalmor are in the same situation so a open war would be a never ending border skirmishes as neither side would ever get enough strength to push,about the same exact situation Tiber Septim and the Aldmeri Dominion were in.

Also the bigger issue is that Titus Mede II signed a treaty, if Ulfric Stormcloak very much forces him to renegade on the treaty it makes his authority weak and put the Imperial Throne in danger.

So like it or not, the Empire signed that treaty and the only thing Ulfric Stormcloak does is for Ulfric Stormcloak sake, he is using the hate towards the Thalmor and the reverence of Talos in order to gain the Skyrim throne.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.