Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Where does that dog Barbas go when you tell him to wait, in the quest "A Daedra's Best Friend"?

I told him to wait in my house but he vanished and I have no idea where he went. Mabye the quest location, where he'll wait for me?

Gord

Arcane
baronjohn said:
Too bad nothing changes in the game. I hoped at least that there wouldn't be any more dragons, but they're as annoying as ever.

Actually a lot of things change in the game, but Bethesda implemented the "change" rather half-assed.
Or rather, it seems that they just never bothered to implement all of it (probably due to opting for a majestic release date), esp. when it comes to the big stuff.

But there is some. Take e.g. the negotiations during the MQ. Depending on what you do, the affected cities will change allegiance. Not much more than flavor seems to come out of it, but the Jarl and the guards will change.
Or this: Today a courier handed me a letter from the Jarl of Whiterun, stating that Ysolda had died and that I was one of her heirs (I had done 2 or 3 quests for her earlier). The inheritance was something like 100 septim, but I found it to be a rather corious thing to happen.
When I came back to Whiterun eventually, out of curiosity I checked the Hall of the Dead and indeed, there was a coffin bearing her name.
It did contain, aside from the key to her house and some random stuff, also a mammoth tusk, which is what she asked for in her first quest.

So yeah, it's a pity they have missed so many opportunities, but there is change, and some of it is quite nice.

tennishero

Novice
one thing i heard was that the CS made for oblivion was dumbed down compared to morrowind

hence the reason morrowind mods were considered more advanced

i REALLY hope they allow for advanced modding options

it would suck if bethesda release a shit CS after making the best RPG of all time

i love bethesda

Wyrmlord

Arcane
By the way, I wanted to ask you all.

Supposing you have played the game extensively as a warrior, having mastered Two Handed, Heavy Armor, and Smithing.

Now, you want to see the other side of the game. Perhaps become a full mage with Conjuration.

Do you start a new game with a fresh level 1 character or do you continue playing with your existing level 30+ warrior?

Majestic47

Learned
I rather start a new character. The game is practically a cake walk if you used your mastered skills. If you don't - prepare to get pummeled hard.

I kept live three to four separate characters just to facilitate this. I tried a mage run before but it got very boring with the default spells.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like 3-5 spells would suffice for more than half the game?

I got a Summon Flaming Familiar which explodes from a quest, but mostly it's been meh so far with my High Elf.

Drakron

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
By the way, I wanted to ask you all.
Do you start a new game with a fresh level 1 character or do you continue playing with your existing level 30+ warrior?

This is simple, the maximum level in the game is 81, meaning you only get 80 out of 251 perks meaning you get about 30% of the perks available.

Assuming by mastering you unlocked all the entire skill perk tree, that is 41 perks you have used, Conjuration Perk Tree is 16 skills for a total of 57 perks, possible as doing that would similar to the Battlemage class was back in Morrowind.

Playing as Mage would pretty much require a start over since the sum of all the schools of magic perk trees takes 72 perks, you can play as a hybrid class but as a pure Mage its hard to became the ultimate Mage since you all the perks points you gain have to be used for the schools of magic perks, also as a mage you had to wear no armor and that means doing into the Alteration tree.

I would say this is the difference of being to cast spells and mastering a specific school of magic and playing as a Mage.

Majestic47 said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like 3-5 spells would suffice for more than half the game?

I got a Summon Flaming Familiar which explodes from a quest, but mostly it's been meh so far with my High Elf.

Flame Atronach is the weakest of the Atronach, Frost Atronach is stronger and there are too many fucking ice mages in the game, Storm Atronach is better because not many enemies are immune to be zapped (and its ranged, unlike Frost that is meele) so you dont have to juggle with Frost/Flame depending on who you are facing.

And then there is the Dremora Lord but to answer your question, a Flame Atronach will only get you so far even with Elemental Potency, not to say some enemies *cough*Dragon Priests*cough* apparently can turn then (apparently since the only time I tried that against the one with the Staff of Magnus it kinda bugged him into being a sitting duck as he stopped attacking but I used a scroll for that so it might be the cause) so you cannot depend on it for long, higher level Draugr can kill a Flame Atronach with ease.

Point is if you are playing a Mage you have to go to the College since Phinis Gestor is the only one that sells Spell Tomes above Flame Atronach, you really cannot depend on the Jarl Wizards to sell you anything above Apprentice level

Akasen

Augur
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Ed123 said:
Goddamnit I WILL NOT GIVE UP FUCKING AROUND WITH THE CONSOLE UNTIL I CAN MARRY BANDITS. Got as far as proposing and organizing the wedding, but the guests start attacking the bride/groom when they arrive for the ceremony :lol: Doesn't seem to be a "factionid" issue, either.

I'll try again tomorrow :smug:

lolwut? One can only imagine what transpired to make such an event happen.

Multi-headed Cow

Ed123 said:
Goddamnit I WILL NOT GIVE UP FUCKING AROUND WITH THE CONSOLE UNTIL I CAN MARRY BANDITS. Got as far as proposing and organizing the wedding, but the guests start attacking the bride/groom when they arrive for the ceremony :lol: Doesn't seem to be a "factionid" issue, either.

I'll try again tomorrow :smug:
I dicked around with shit like that in Fallout 3/New Vegas, too. Had the same issue. You can bludgeon a hostile NPC into being friendly and joining up with the PC, but as soon as you take your bro to a settlement all hell breaks loose. Report back with your findings good sir. :salute:

snowman

Novice
i don't understand why people is so mad these days... this is like.. so saaad... :( but yes - i do agree that skyrim is crap? i didn't even play it but i knew right from the start it's useless because i played oblivion for like a month? i also tried morrowind but i found out i can't even buy a house to deposit my things so i gave up. althou i found a mod which err?.. puts like.. a house in the game? but problem was, i couldn't find it. i still remember when i played oblivion i had to deposit my stolen stuff on a dead crab's corpse because i couldn't afford the house yet. and when i traveled outside of city for a long time? guess what.. the crab dissapeared.. so i wasted all my time in vain. and there was also the problem of selling the stolen stuff - i had to travel so far away to contact that fence. stupid game is stupid

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Flame Atronach is the weakest of the Atronach, Frost Atronach is stronger and there are too many fucking ice mages in the game, Storm Atronach is better because not many enemies are immune to be zapped (and its ranged, unlike Frost that is meele) so you dont have to juggle with Frost/Flame depending on who you are facing.
Where the FUCK are the Frost and Storm tomes for sale? I could not find any in my playthrough. I made due with the Sanguine Rose (summon Dremora) and the Mace of Molag Bal for filling soul stones. Empty ones are extremely easy to get/steal/kill for.

And it's ridiculously easy to steal from houses/shops in this game. Shops have no guards, and the vendor didn't usually follow me to other rooms.

Majestic47

Learned
I hardly stole from the shops cause it felt so cheap. I mean, try resting at the Solutide inn and they planted you in a room with 500 bucks worth of potions sitting on your room desk.

Like a fucking hotel fridge full of expensive alcohol.

baronjohn

Cipher
Mangoose said:
Where the FUCK are the Frost and Storm tomes for sale? I could not find any in my playthrough. I made due with the Sanguine Rose (summon Dremora) and the Mace of Molag Bal for filling soul stones. Empty ones are extremely easy to get/steal/kill for.
The conjurer at the college sells them if your conjuration is high enough. You can't get them anywhere else.

Fucking level scaling bro.

My Name is

Novice
My first post here but anyway, Skyrim is indeed better than OB but like somebody said earlier in this thread OB sucked so hard that anything would be better in comparison. I'm not even to talk about the bugs and the graphics quality because both had been done to death IMO. The art and animation was a big improvment though.

I am a big Morrowind fan thus, to say OB was a disappointment is a massive understatement. So I thought Skyrim is going to save this series. Well, for the first few hours anyway, before the shallowness and retardedness sunk in enough for me to conclude: Beth will never learn from anything. Among the first wave of OB mod fixes was the quest reward level scaling mods. Guess what came back? Level scaled quest rewards, woohoo! FFS Beth is the child that gets answer scripts for the final exam and still won't bother to get the paper done right because his headmaster parents (aka gaming "press", fanboys) are going to let him graduate no matter what. I can continue on talking about the boring combat system and terribly designed game mechanics but you get the idea.

What really irks me is how Beth gets a free pass for everything from horrid game mechanics, shitty-written quests to game-breaking bugs just because it's moddable and open-world. Hello, since when fixing broken games was the job of the consumer? For the shitty writing, it doesn't even make sense to think about it, because somehow the ingame books are pretty decent yet the quest dialogue was unbelievably "what makes me want to care" bad.

tennishero

Novice
Oblivion is a great game

i find it hilarious that people hate on oblivion so much but then love other lesser games- (dragon age, witcher, ToEE, )

oblivion is a great game

as a dungeon crawlers it the best game of its kind- the dingeon design is just bite size enough tghat you dont HATE on it

in fact oblivion should be the blueprint for all dungeon crawlers- if they could make fable combat with oblivion dungeons and tim shafer doing the writing and art design- thats the perfect game

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
There is some minor nicely C&C like I met Ulfrik in Walhalla... he was with his head unfortuently. And he was not bitching about being killed by me but was all :bro: for defeating the Satan-Alduin like. also Kiling or not Brotnonox changes ending a little. Decided to kill him the moment before his speach about reuniting Dragons.
Blades are bros again and guards don't whine about letting the dragon go.
:smug:

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
My Name is said:
My first post here but anyway, Skyrim is indeed better than OB but like somebody said earlier in this thread OB sucked so hard that anything would be better in comparison. I'm not even to talk about the bugs and the graphics quality because both had been done to death IMO. The art and animation was a big improvment though.

I am a big Morrowind fan thus, to say OB was a disappointment is a massive understatement. So I thought Skyrim is going to save this series. Well, for the first few hours anyway, before the shallowness and retardedness sunk in enough for me to conclude: Beth will never learn from anything. Among the first wave of OB mod fixes was the quest reward level scaling mods. Guess what came back? Level scaled quest rewards, woohoo! FFS Beth is the child that gets answer scripts for the final exam and still won't bother to get the paper done right because his headmaster parents (aka gaming "press", fanboys) are going to let him graduate no matter what. I can continue on talking about the boring combat system and terribly designed game mechanics but you get the idea.

What really irks me is how Beth gets a free pass for everything from horrid game mechanics, shitty-written quests to game-breaking bugs just because it's moddable and open-world. Hello, since when fixing broken games was the job of the consumer? For the shitty writing, it doesn't even make sense to think about it, because somehow the ingame books are pretty decent yet the quest dialogue was unbelievably "what makes me want to care" bad.

Strong work, impressive

I still think you're shit, but all the shepple here will accept you into their fold. Soon you will also be able to join in the jerk off circle, and very soon, you will be recognized as an individual, which will allow you to sumarize your opinion with one liners, memes, and using quotes which are supplemented with "This." and "Pretty much this.". You'll be able to have 15K posts of this at the very least. Not only that, but you'll also others to speak what you have on your mind, because let's face it, you have nothing to add to these goddamn forums. Let's be coherent here : if the end result is you not posting anymore, then you shouldn't start posting at all. Save yourself the hassle, we all know you well already, it's quite convenient

Wyrmlord

Arcane
How to kill people in Skyrim without getting caught at all.

Slip poison into their belongings.

:thumbsup:

baronjohn

Cipher
I had two master necromancer thralls but ended up killing them quickly because they made the game too easy.

Too bad the game doesn't react when you raise NPCs. Like when you kill the noble at her wedding, I raised her corpse and paraded her around in front of her parents and non-husband, but nobody cared.

DraQ

Arcane
Ed123 said:
baronjohn said:
I had two master necromancer thralls but ended up killing them quickly because they made the game too easy.

Too bad the game doesn't react when you raise NPCs. Like when you kill the noble at her wedding, I raised her corpse and paraded her around in front of her parents and non-husband, but nobody cared.

I assume you mean a simple line like "oh noes a body", similar to when you run around naked. I can't imagine the amount of work needed in order to account for every single npc in the gameworld having a unique reaction to the player's raising of a specific friend/family member :lol:
How about generic "No! What have you done to him/her?" for each race/sex combo followed by murderous rage approved by the guards?

I dont think that's possible with the current faction system...upon death, a npc gets removed from his/her former faction, and when raised s/he's added to yours. To other NPCs, s/hes no different from a random skeleton. I imagine that making it so dead people remain in their faction would cause all sorts of fucked-up behaviour, because Bethesda.

edit: plus, "murderous rage approved by the guards" would also make the weakling commoner NPCs attack the mage who is powerful enough to go around raising people as slaves, which is perhaps even more derpy than ignoring him.

On a non-randomized quest I tell an elderly shop-keeper that her sweet daughter is dead, she laments with a single voiced line and then the dialog just loops back to her usual merchant greeting "So what can I get you on this fine day?"

Yeah, the sister also acknowledges the death in the family, which makes the lack of care in that dialog sequence all the weirder.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
baronjohn said:
Eh, I am going to go into lame fanboy apologist mood and simply ask, "Why do you think this series was meant to be realistic?"

Here are two complaints Codexers can't make at the same time.

1) Elder Scrolls games are for LARPers and function as virtual dollhouses.

2) Elder Scrolls games can be very unrealistic and require too much suspension of disbelief. Hence, they are bad for LARPing and bad for engaging in virtual dollhouse mode.

Well, which one is it? Either it is a LARPing game, or it is not a LARPing game. How do people go from complaining that NPCs react in an extremely unrealistic manner to strange things happening - hence, not good for LARPing - to complaining that the game is only good for LARPing.

Either way, none of these are complaints that you couldn't have applied to every prior installment in the game.

My Name is

Novice
Wyrmlord said:
How to kill people in Skyrim without getting caught at all.

Slip poison into their belongings.

:thumbsup:

"Who put this green potion in my pocket? Nevermind I'm drinking it to find out!"

It a surprise any NPC can survive in Skyrim at all, yet somehow they have the uncanny ability to spot stolen goods from a mile away as if everything was RFID tagged.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom