Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

potatojohn

Arcane
You can't do that once you join them though.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well Skyrim is not AoD Comrade Lazur where you can choose your own party to join and God Emperor forbid betray it the moment you choose. I was suprised they did offered the choice to kill this bitch Astrid and wipe them out, especially after I was forced to join the College by MQ. Being In Brotherhood and murdering people being teh cool and edgy in Bethpizdian juvenile developers minds. :roll:

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I am not one for obsessing over realism, but the fact that Gaius Maro knew the password to Brotherhood Sanctuary but never made a move on them - it's just a very unconvincing way of adding multiple options in a game.

Still, I understand why these plot holes persist. Skyrim sold 7 million copies. How many more copies would it sell if they bothered with anything that interferes with suspension of disbelief? An additional 1,000 at best?

It's like that time when Neil de Grasse Tyson told James Cameron that Titanic's night sky was incorrect. Cameron simply asked him how much more money Titanic would make if it had a realistic night sky.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I am not one for obsessing over realism, but the fact that Gaius Maro knew the password to Brotherhood Sanctuary but never made a move on them - it's just a very unconvincing way of adding multiple options in a game.
There are like a billion similar plot holes in the game. For example, what's the deal with all the DB assassins that keep trying to kill you until you join them? You can't ask anyone about them and no one ever mentions them. In the DB questline it is also pretty clearly implied that the Dark Brotherhood has a certain code of honor about finishing their jobs even if they fail them at first, but they still gladly accept the PC into their ranks even though they should be trying to murder her. I can't understand how the hell Bethesda could let something like that go unnoticed. Most of the time it seems like they just didn't give a shit.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Most of the time it seems like they just didn't give a shit.

They sold 7 million copies and earned beacoup money. So they give a shit about things that matter. :patriot: will buy a shit if well marketed. I have greater fun playing KoA than Skyrim to be honest. Ken Rolston, Salvatore and Macfarline while being hacks atleast wanted to make RPG not sell product to konsoltards only. Only visuals, especially art direction and setting are still superior in TES.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
If my girlfriend can't stop playing Skyrim, take it from me, it's very much shit.

KoA is hardly a better game. It's merely the return of 'Follow the quest marker'.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Hey guys, a Daggerfall question.

In a quest where I was supposed to find some person, my character can't enter the building where he is supposed to be. Actually, he tried B&E first, guards came, then he ran away, and came back a day later. Door is fully barred. Can't enter. It doesn't even say it is locked. It's just no longer regarded as a door. Clicking the door does nothing.

Anyone ever had this problem?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
There are like a billion similar plot holes in the game. For example, what's the deal with all the DB assassins that keep trying to kill you until you join them? You can't ask anyone about them and no one ever mentions them. In the DB questline it is also pretty clearly implied that the Dark Brotherhood has a certain code of honor about finishing their jobs even if they fail them at first, but they still gladly accept the PC into their ranks even though they should be trying to murder her. I can't understand how the hell Bethesda could let something like that go unnoticed. Most of the time it seems like they just didn't give a shit.
If you are stealing things carelessly, people send hired thugs against you. And if you are really reckless with people's property or ruthlessly killing innocent folk, they send assassins against you.

Luzur

Good Sir

In a quest where I was supposed to find some person, my character can't enter the building where he is supposed to be. Actually, he tried B&E first, guards came, then he ran away, and came back a day later. Door is fully barred. Can't enter. It doesn't even say it is locked. It's just no longer regarded as a door. Clicking the door does nothing.

in Daggerfall? no, never, not with unopenable doors atleast. you sure it is the right house?

GreyViper

Prophet

Yeah there are few cases, but try reloadin before accepting the quest and redoing it again or try open lock spell. Tbh I didnt run into this problem often then again I was playing Andyfall version.

racofer

Thread Incliner
A few weeks later and I'm already finished with this game for the very same reasons I ditched FO3/Oblolivion: dull, bland game world with bland gameplay and bland characters.

Nothing about this game is "memorable" in any way. I don't like nor hate any character, they're all the same to me, completely devoid of personality or purpose in the game. Imps in Doom1/2 had a bigger role in those games than the Jarl of Whiterun does in Skyrim.

I simply can't stand Bethesdurr games. It feels like eating cold canned food.

Ivory Samoan

Liturgist
Beth games have to be treated like canned food if you want to enjoy them at all/properly..

Eat them fast as possible, don't linger too long to try and 'savor the flavour', or you will be unpleasantly surprised by the bitter taste of gloom and bloom.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
Total Realism looks promising. I rememeber it was there by some time, but author decided to wait until toolset is released.
As for Skyrim Scaling Stopper, I've already tested it. The mod appearently puts into a dungeon enemies of ALL levels. It means that in the "first" dungeon in the game (golden claw quest) we got 2 Draugr Megadeth Overlords, assisted by small army of Draugr Scourges, and maybe few normal one-hit Draugrs, most of them armed with ebony weapons. It needs more adjustments to be playable. I wonder if "UnLevelled World" mod (don't have a link now) don't do this better.
However, dungeons filled with deadly and almost invicible monsters gave the game what it lacked before- a motivation to grind XPs on blacksmithing and fetch- quests :lol: . If the game has boring plot, shall it have at least a challenging gameplay.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I plan to wait until the end of the year to play Skyrim again since obviously mods like those I mentioned need polishing and more interesting mods will probably be released. The problem is that there are dozens of mods being made every day so its a bit tricky to keep following them.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
44f2b6fff71f6b31b39494ab7b73fe5a.jpg

racofer

Thread Incliner
Pretty interesting read guise: http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2012/01/13/skyrim-the-illusion-of-choice/

Choice and consequence. For a game that offers a myriad will-you/won’t-you of the former, it is surprisingly light on the latter. NPCs hardly register your actions, no matter how disruptive they are. As an initiate in The Companions, a group of warriors in Whiterun, I was caught looting their main hall. They simply asked me to stop, despite their previous insistence on honor and fealty. Upon becoming Harbinger (leader) of the group, I still had to take flak from members asking aloud why the previous leader allowed me to enter and what he saw in me. Shopkeepers threaten to sic the Dark Brotherhood (Skyrim’s Assassin’s Guild) on me should they catch me stealing from them, even though I lead that group as well. Ulfric Stormcloak, leader of the rebellion in the Civil War questline and Nord supremacist, will still gladly appoint the player to be his right-hand man even as an Altmer, the very same race Ulfric believes to be behind the oppression of his Nordic people. A cabal of dragon hunters takes you as their ultimate champion after countless centuries of toil and sacrifice, but should you align yourself with a reformed dragon rather than kill him as they demand, their wrath manifests itself in a glorified “son I am disappoint”. A potent quest reward item can be made significantly more powerful by allowing it to consume human souls instead of non-sentient ones, but no harm or loss of standing befalls the player for choosing the decidedly more evil option. Towns can be overrun and emperors can be killed or deposed, but somehow these otherwise gameplay-changing events are almost entirely cosmetic. Once you pass the character creation screen, you’re no longer playing an impossibly huge open-world game. You’re playing the most engrossing and well-disguised rail shooter ever devised.

Without consequence, the game world becomes static, and a rigid game world destroys any sense of immersion. Very rarely in Skyrim do you see the results of your actions manifest themselves in any significant way, which begs the question : why was I given a choice in the first place? Am I really free to do whatever I want, to plunder and loot and screw over as I see fit, if in the end nothing really changes? Once you begin questioning the decision-making of game developers, you’ve become acutely aware of their existence, and Skyrim’s spell is broken.

It's a long article, but it nails Skyrim quite well in most aspects.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Complaining about choices and consequences in Elder Scrolls games is silly.

Even if you were an Archmage of the Mages Guild and a leading Knight of a distinguished order in Daggerfall, you'd still be a worthless errand runner in the eyes of Princess Morgiah of Wayrest and Prince Lhotun of Sentinel. Nobles will tell you that noble privileges are restricted to you (like using the Totem of Tiber Septim or using a magical painting), even if you are a High Elf and the said noble is a mere Redguard and even if you actually are a member of the nobility through any Knights Order. That is still not a big deal and doesn't make a game less fun. This has been the established way of doing things for 17 years in this series - what real enthusiast of these games cares about changing it?

This was never a series about choices and consequences, and people who bought Skyrim expecting C&C were wasting their time.

flushfire

Augur
I find it unbelievable that some people here truly believe that Skyrim should get a free pass against a perfectly valid criticism just bec. it's "an ES game". what, should DA2 not be criticised for its waves of filler encounters bec. DAO was full of filler combat anyway? Should TW2 not be criticised for its QTEs bec. TW1's combat was QTE anyway?

No matter how you put it majority of the joinable groups were badly done both in how forced leadership was and how the world, or even how just the groups themselves reacted to you. Skyrim didn't need to have deep c&c but whatever choices were offered didn't need to be so obviously meaningless as well. hell even when no choice is offered most of the time what you do didn't have any noticable impact beyond comments made by people you pass.

waywardOne

Arcane
He doesn't mean silly as in invalid, he means silly as in redundant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom