Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So you're saying that because the game provides you with a crafting tutorial you should guess that it's more important than the other skills? And if you really claim that this is a knowing choice from Todd and co. (even though they've said nothing that even vaguely alludes to this) then WHY OH GOD WHY? Why make a conscious decision to have one skill be AO when there's an equal emphasis in the game on them all?

I call bullshit on your claim.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Grunkey, just give it up bro...ME3 is coming out soon. No one cares about this turd anymore. It didn't even win RPG of the year in Level(Romania's biggest computer game mag), being bested by Twitcher2. :smug:

lol u didnt take this skill cant u see into the future lol
Easy there.

What's among the very first things that happen when you leave Helgen? You meet a blacksmith, and are directed to a quick tutorial with him. What's the very first thing you do in Riverwood, the town with the said blacksmith? Most likely, in order to make money, you'd hunt animals, collect a dozen pelts, fashion several pieces of hide armour in the smith's place and sell it to him for a lot of money. That's the principal way of making money to buy spells from the very first store you find in the game - Riverwood trader. And if not that, you may ask for jobs in the inn...and be directed towards the nearby Embershard Mines. Which also contains a tutorial on mining, smelting, and smithing.

The manner and style in which you are - say - railroaded right at the beginning does indicate that smithing is to be a principal skill and mining is a core activity. Both are needed for securing the basic safety of the player character, because you are told you can't always rely on base level equipment.

None of these required foresight. The game directly hints and directs you this particular way.

Problems:

1. There is no foreknowledge that smithing scales so brutally. Somehow a character with 20 one handed and 100 smithing can do significantly more damage than a character with 100 one handed and 20 smithing. Fucked up.

2. If smithing was essential, why isn't every high-leveled enemy using specially smithed items already? Considering that a well-smithed steel blade is more deadly then daedric, why wouldn't any powerful character find a master smith? Obviously this could easily ruin game balance (making smithing incredibly weak if you could find things already smithed, or take it to a smith and pay them gold), but its Bethesda's job to balance the game and my job to call them out when they do a shitty job, not the other way around.

Of course, Bethesda could have gotten away from most of the bullshit if their level scaling wasn't created by an abject retard. Pick the pockets of 5 or 6 NPCs in the first town (you know, the way of quickly making money that actually makes sense) and soon every enemy you meet will one shot you until you spend the next 15 levels purely to level fighting skills.

Monocause

Arcane
Guys, I really recommend this mod: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=4429. It doesn't fix everything, obviously, but it improves smithing by a huge margin and implements a couple of great fixes too (increased the usefulness of the speech skill due to a more punishing prices modifier, made all the healing potions to work over time instead of instant-fixing a set amount etc). Requires the nexus mod manager but it's a handy tool for using Skyrim mods so you might as well get it.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Guys, I really recommend this mod: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=4429. It doesn't fix everything, obviously, but it improves smithing by a huge margin and implements a couple of great fixes too (increased the usefulness of the speech skill due to a more punishing prices modifier, made all the healing potions to work over time instead of instant-fixing a set amount etc). Requires the nexus mod manager but it's a handy tool for using Skyrim mods so you might as well get it.
Thanks BRO, looks promising, I'm installing it now to how it goes.

Also, I found this: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=11135

Is a Work in Progress, but already changes 250 quests so it's possible to be done without the Quest Compass, just reading the quest journal. Great incline over the "follow arrow" gameplay.

likaq

Arcane
Question to Poles:
Does anybody know what score skyrim got in cd-action?

Callisto

I almost bought Skyrim but thanks to this thread i will spend the money on better games . :)

Bahamut

Arcane
Question to Poles:

Dont remember but 9.5 i think, but i had biggest laught with gry-online's one (a big potato gaming site) they, despite the flaws literaly rated it 10/10 for whatever good it is (and i dont remember any game got 10/10 there i recent years)

Skyrim only deserves "most overrated game ever award" because the game is only medicore/good, the whole brainless hype annoy me, than game itself, and its fans,
had a discussion about it, so i pointed the retardnes and cliches of the plot, but the oposition was like "LOL U ARE RETARDED GIME ME OBJECTIVE REASON WY SKYRIM SUX", also he wrote skyrim dialogs are good because they are well written and "dynamic" (whatever he ment), but the most iriitaing thing was that the tone of his speech was fucking serious

After this i realised, trying to "convert" and "enlighten" the retards in pointless, may they rot and eat their delicious POS

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Question to Poles:

Dont remember but 9.5 i think, but i had biggest laught with gry-online's one (a big potato gaming site) they, despite the flaws literaly rated it 10/10 for whatever good it is (and i dont remember any game got 10/10 there i recent years)

Skyrim only deserves "most overrated game ever award" because the game is only medicore/good, the whole brainless hype annoy me, than game itself, and its fans,
had a discussion about it, so i pointed the retardnes and cliches of the plot, but the oposition was like "LOL U ARE RETARDED GIME ME OBJECTIVE REASON WY SKYRIM SUX", also he wrote skyrim dialogs are good because they are well written and "dynamic" (whatever he ment), but the most iriitaing thing was that the tone of his speech was fucking serious

After this i realised, trying to "convert" and "enlighten" the retards in pointless, may they rot and eat their delicious POS

So you mean the game got completely same treatment as Oblivion and Fallout 3?

Gord

Arcane
Skyrim is a big :incline: from Oblivion and better than I had anticipated, but definitely not 10/10 or even 8/10 territory.
It's not that much rpg, either. More an aRPG with a reduced system compared to the earlier titles, although perks help a bit to improve that somewhat.
I'd call it good for what it is, though, and it gets some bonus for modability.
Unfortunately the game stil suffers from the usual Bethesda sloppiness.
Bethesda has shown some rather unusual behavior, though, with much better post-release support so far.

Still, I wouldn't buy right now. The first major sales are probably going to happen soon - in fact GameStop/Impulse had/has it at -33% this weekend, I think.
And waiting for an Ultimate/GOTY edition is anyway probably the smartest thing to do.

Luzur

Good Sir
i am gonna wait for that rape-everything mod Loverslabd is working on (you can rape every living creature in the world of Skyrim), then im gonna make a new char and let Skyrim fall under the shadow of my dick.

i am gonna wait for that rape-everything mod Loverslabd is working on (you can rape every living creature in the world of Skyrim), then im gonna make a new char and let Skyrim fall under the shadow of my dick.

The leaves out the mods for non-living creatures and inanimate objects. What about the love that can transpire between a man and a Dwarven Centurian? Or a skeleton? Or a common (but well-worn and underappreciated) blacksmith's hammer?

Luzur

Good Sir
okay okay, you can fuck monsters, undead, animals etc, basically everything you can damage with a sword according to their forum.

should have typed "every moving creature"

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
okay okay, you can fuck monsters, undead, animals etc, basically everything you can damage with a sword according to their forum.

should have typed "every moving creature"

How do you fuck a skeleton?

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Any doubts I had about Bethesda are now confirmed.

Bethesda makes shitty games. Period.

With a few retard proof tweaks, it could actually be somewhat tolerable, but no, they carry the same shit over from Oblivion under a "grimdark" wrapper.

No mods can fix this turd.

At least the Dragon Knight Saga had some decent and clever role playing elements, whilst Skyrim has virtually none worth anything.

Sales figures and popularity don't mean shit. The American public should be educated by this fact, but they are blinded by corporate overload.

Stabwound

Arcane
I agree that the game sucks and is unredeemable even with mods. It's definitely the end of any hope of Bethesda making a good game again, since even teen girls are obsessing over the game even though they've never heard of the Elder Scrolls before Skyrim. There's no way Bethesda will go against the streamlining and make it less accessable now that every monkey with 2 thumbs plays Skyrim and loves it. Future games will continue to streamline to make it even more accessible. It won't be good enough until even your grandma calls you up and asks you for character building advice in Elder Scrolls 6.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Worst thing is despite Fallout 3 being a piece of shit it was still a far better game then Oblivion, and it looked like Bethesda is slowly moving in right direction. While Skyrim is a better game then Fallout 3 (but not much better, and thats only because of good world design and little less shitty writing and voice acting), problem is that most important things in Fallout like quests with multiple solutions, c&c and detailed character system is completely missing from Skyrim. I hoped Fallout 3 development and those elements being well received by the fans would influence Skyrim and move their quality standards step higher, instead we got was a shallow rpg with a nice world.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I once would have said that it's too easy to get and do Daedric quests in Oblivion and Skyrim. And that the extremely high tariffs and the super-specific dates in Daggerfall make it significantly more difficult.

However, with the exception of one who never shows up on 5th of Mid Year (despite that being his/her summoning date), it's not hard to borrow 650,000 gold on a good reputation, and get the money to have six different Daedric Princes summoned JUST LIKE THAT in Daggerfall. Use the 50,000 to build two Jack of Trades items, and you'll keep getting Daedric items to sell for big money and get more summoning chances.

So it's VERY likely that BOTH an experienced Skyrim player and an experienced Daggerfall player will fill his inventory with a Skeleton Key, Volendrung, Ebony Blade, Skull of Corruption, and so on.

This is not some excessive apologist talk for Skyrim or any criticism of Daggerfall, but simply a reflection on the fact that TES series changes a lot and yet also doesn't change too much.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
So it's VERY likely that BOTH an experienced Skyrim player and an experienced Daggerfall player will fill his inventory with a Skeleton Key, Volendrung, Ebony Blade, Skull of Corruption, and so on.
"Experienced" is the keyword here. An experienced Fallout player can walk straight to Necropolis and skip 90 % of the content but I wouldn't use that as an argument against the game. In Daggerfall you'd need a lot of metagaming to get any Daedric items right away (someone who's not familiar with the setting might not even know that such things exist in the first place) whereas in Skyrim it's next to impossible to avoid most of the Daedric quests. Getting the Ebony Blade, the Skull of Corruption or the Mace of Molag Bal requires no active exploration at all. It's a huge design flaw that an open-world game based on exploration doesn't let you discover things by yourself.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
There are a few obscure, and not as easy to find daedric princes in Skyrim. I never found Malacath. I never found Peryite either. But quests like Clavicus Vile, Molog Bal, and Meridia fall on your lap instantly.

Anyway, all Elder Scrolls games should have a rule that once you obtain one daedric artifact, you are not allowed to contact other daedric princes or that they will not listen to you, except for an even higher price or task or somesuch.

Luzur

Good Sir
i found Peryite, its a small shrine guarded by a Khajiit below a Dragon monument southwest of Windhelm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom