Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Gord

Arcane
Raising enchanting isn't too hard, at least to reach mid-to-high values, alchemy, otoh, requires you to get a lot of ingredients and has many recipies that give only a very marginal skill increase.
Of course, if you do focus on expensive potions it will raise much faster, but again, you still need a rather large amount of ingredients which cannot just be bought.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Enchanting to 90: No problem.

Enchanting from 90 to 100: Requires more time grinding on that than spending on the actual game.

Gord

Arcane
Well, in that case I'd probably throw in a few visits to a trainer.
But yeah, the whole leveling system could need some adjustments.
At least they have started with smithing.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The whole "use skills to increase them" thing only really works with combat skills which are used constantly and in situations when there's some kind of a danger involved. With non-combat skills you either can max everything in thirty minutes (because the system is balanced around the fact that you rarely need to enchant something or upgrade your equipment or mix two dozen potions of Restore Stamina) or you have to waste hours of your time just to raise a skill to a level where it's somewhat useful. There are some exceptions like the lockpick skill, which requires finding a locked door or chest, and the old repair skill, which indirectly required you to fight people in order to have something to repair, but that's about it. The system was never really that good to begin with.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Well, in that case I'd probably throw in a few visits to a trainer.
But yeah, the whole leveling system could need some adjustments.
At least they have started with smithing.
Hold on a second.

A Master trainer can only train you to 90.

You have to reach 100 by yourself.

Gord

Arcane
Indeed. Had not noticed that before.

Well, too bad, isn't it?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Cosplayers who wear fur coats to represent Skyrim probably played an hour of the game or know of it entirely from YouTube memes and videos.

Why?

No sane player would be caught dead wearing hide armour or leather armour or even steel-and-hide armour in this game. Enemies cut through them like butter, and they are about as effective as being naked in Skyrim. You don't get any real use out of armour before 300 armour points and you can be assured of getting killed a little less quickly with 200 armour points. Anything less is a huge waste of gold.

Seriously cosplayers, at least wear glass armour or steel plate armour or orcish armour to show that you played the game.

displayed armor rating = (worn armor rating + item quality) * (1 + 0.4 * (skill + skill effect)/100) *
(1 + Custom Fit or Well Fitted + Matching Set) * (1 + Agile Defender or Juggernaut) +
(shield armor rating + item quality) * (1 + 0.4 * (skill + skill effect)/100) *
(1 + Custom Fit or Well Fitted + Matching Set) + armor effects
hidden armor rating = 25 per piece worn
damage reduction% = (displayed armor rating + hidden armor rating) * 0.12

They could be playing NPC characters, who get free health/armor scaling with level even when completely naked. The fur is just to keep warm.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
the_dragonborn___skyrim_by_rikusworld-d4vmdu8.jpg
skyrim___daedric_armor__wondercon_2012__by_brianfloresphoto-d4udswk.jpg

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
Based on my time playing, I dislike Skyrim, as it didn't improve much on Oblivion.

Convo and body language are still retarded. There was very little digging into Norse mythology for this one, just arrow to the knee jokes. They could have used dialogue similar to Conan, or at least a little Tolkien brilliance in the lore department, but Metalocalypse riffed better on Norse mythology than this. :/

However, that was not my main complaint. I only played to level 22, mind you, then put aside for Dark Souls (again), but my impression was the dungeons unwound in a linear fashion, like a giant colon, rather than allowing open exploration?

And of course, as usual, world had very little background, just tons of books to compensate for a barely literate plot.

Sorry mates, I even enjoyed Oblivion. I just felt it could have been VASTLY improved upon, now that they have a new engine and all! Didn't see much progress. "Samey!"

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Imagine Skyrim with Dark Messiahs of might and magic combat system.

Yeah we can only imagine :(

Hopefully Arkane still remembers how to do a good combat and Dishonored will be good, i want to believe.

I have just finished the main quest. I'm very, very disappointed. Just for the record, I adored Daggerfall and Morrowind, Oblivion was a slap in the face, and this was... I would say insulting. I really wonder what’s the target IQ for which Bethesda’s writers were aiming for – bellow 50? Although they improved a lot of things from Oblivion, it all doesn’t matter since I just couldn’t look past the bad writing and quest design. I needed to vent my frustration, and as a result I wrote a short review of the things that bothered me. It’s too long to be posted here, but still I would appreciate if you take a look.

Skyrim: Quest of the Dragonborn by yours truly :)

BTW, when could we expect the official Codex review?

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Holy shit, you get to shout :lol:

Todd was watching too many fus ro dah parodies :hearnoevil:

Bethesda Softworks® reported it had shipped over 10 million units of Skyrim across all platforms, representing approximately $650 million in retail sales,

o_O

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Next TES Game won't have any written dialogues... :decline: It will be Kwan Larpers Paradise. Still I had dirty plesure of enjoing the Epicness of first 30 hours.... Something in which new Biowhores games fail utterly and completly. :oops:

Suchy

Arcane
Duh, they don't know shit about LARPing.
Now, I did it the right way with my voice recognition scripts.

(don't mind the reverb in this one)

Sul

Savant
Why the hell you need a Kinect to use voice commands? If I remember correctly even Unreal Tournament had cheat codes that could be activated using voice commands.

oh wait more retards to milk from

Kraszu

Prophet
Moving your FP POV camera allot, and kicking does not good fighting system make.

_____
Yoda

CorpseZeb

Learned
Skyrim+Kinetic=p0ron - it is obviously obvious. There, comes handy a "Standard" graphical mods for Skyrim.

Ps. But... why we here - in the RPG forum...? I think, this requires a epically kinetic movement to the... somewhere else.

DraQ

Arcane
Bethesda Softworks® reported it had shipped over 10 million units of Skyrim across all platforms, representing approximately $650 million in retail sales,

o_O
If the alternative is having interactive extreme romance movies dominate the market, then I wholly approve of Skyrim selling, well, buckets.

It might not be much of an RPG and may suffer from quite severe decline in terms of mechanics and dungeon layout, but it's still an actual game, it's much better than Oblivious and it uses open sandbox model with random events, rather than scripted rail ride model that's currently prevalent and is actively killing gaming.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Moving your FP POV camera allot, and kicking does not good fighting system make.

_____
Yoda
It wasn't the kicking that made combat good, it was the way enemies would block you, flank you, exploit holes in your guard and in turn how you would need to use strategic strikes to defeat them. Later in the game the kicking really does not work and you have to actually learn how to defeat certain types of enemies, both in single combat and in groups. I recall some of the fights being quite difficult late in the game because of this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom