Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim Special Edition

Starwars

Arcane
I like that there was no PC -> remastered edition comparison, hehe.

Anyways, it looks like shit. I always thought Skyrim looked really nice, minus character models, but the shit they show off in the trailer makes it look way more... bloomy, hazy and uh... warm? Not exactly what Skyrim is supposed to look like afaik.

But UNFORTUNATELY, I don't qualify for the upgrade as I don't own all the DLC, haha.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Might be interested for the supposed performance boost. My rig is WAY above specs but I have so many mods installed that it runs around 30 fps...which usually is fine but will occasionally lag. Tried all the perf tweaks I could find and no better. Think I have about 100 mods though and use ENB so don't need graphic upgrade.

Ash

Arcane
"Remastering" Skyrim is an oxymoron on two levels.

:bro:

They can't possibly "remaster" something that was never mastered in the first place.
To "master" Skyrim initially they'd have to rebuild large parts of the world in a manner that isn't shit, redesign systems, get rid of the radiant quests crap in favor of fine design, make a UI that isn't shit, make combat and stealth that is enjoyable, address the boring as fuck writing, spend more time on AI and general NPC behavioral diversity, the list goes on and on. Only then can they later remaster it.
How can you call something a "remaster" when you just bump up the graphics a bit and add console mod support, while completely ignoring all other aspects of the game? Tired of your shit, industry. The critics are meant to regulate this shit for fuck sake. The people that buy this game will be people I was 15 years ago: kids that want a new game and walk into a store uninformed. Difference is I was doing that when games weren't dumbed down to oblivion. It's not on carefree kids to be informed, it's on the industry, the critics and everyone else to see that this shit can't be the guaranteed success that it will be. Sigh.

I'm mad that it is minimal effort, ignores gameplay and just about everything else and instead focuses on graphics in it's "remastering" principle as usual, and will yet again be a wild success way beyond what it deserves.

Last edited:

pippin

Remaster is a term from the audiovisual industry which refers to the process of reworking audio and video, without changing the original content in a dramatic manner. You can replace audio or video tracks, change some values here and there, etc. But largely the product is the same. So yeah, this is a remaster.

It has nothing to do with having a good product.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Remaster is a term from the audiovisual industry which refers to the process of reworking audio and video, without changing the original content in a dramatic manner. You can replace audio or video tracks, change some values here and there, etc. But largely the product is the same. So yeah, this is a remaster.

More specifically, back in the days of analog the "master" copy was the first complete version of a work, from which all other copies are made. This means that any flaw in the master will be present in every other copy. To "remaster" a work you take the raw recordings and assemble a new master copy, using more care and/or improved processes to create a master that is closer in fidelity to the original recordings.

Ash

Arcane

Did not know. That'll show me to run my mouth.

Nonetheless, it should never have met the reception and success it did, especially not when considering it was a watered down version older RPGs.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Without script extender and load order optimization programs, most of the best mods will not be available on console.

There will be a lot of butthurt when console players figure this out.

Drax

Arcane
Yeah, but I assume that the main grief is the lack of extra content, I'm guessing most quest mods (falskaar, Helgen reborn, etc) will be available soon. And cloud's sword mods. And titties.
I don't see console peasants wanting "realistic needs and diseases", "frostfall", etc...
No SkyUI/MCM means 50% of modding skyrim's allure is gone tho, but untermenchos are used to shitty UIs.

Drakron

Arcane
Considering how fast the SkyUI team jumped on the paid mods april fools, I'm gonna guess they're gonna try really hard to make it work without SKSE.

Its impossible, they would have to add new script functions since that is what makes SKSE required to begin with.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Considering how fast the SkyUI team jumped on the paid mods april fools, I'm gonna guess they're gonna try really hard to make it work without SKSE.
The main SkyUI guy has quit modding, so I wouldn't expect SkyUI to be ported to the special edition.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There will be added new quest in the special edition.

tumblr_o8dcopYxmz1tdbj3lo1_1280.jpg

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Fucking hell. So Skyrim modding goes back to square-one?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom