Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

slowpoke checking in: New Vegas

stabby

Learned
Well, I will admit that thanks to some kind donations from the Steam community (ie: Card monies) I'm finally playing this, and going at it blind with sawyer's mod is definitely gosh darned fun, though I can see where some would consider it more within the territory of annoyance. Anyhoo, this is my first time with a Bethesda engine post-Morrowind, and I can see that they've continued with the tradition of promoting taking breaks from the game via random fuckin' crashes. Grrr...

So, can anyone recommend a good fixpack (preferably bug-fix only) or some essential mods to smooth things out a bit? It's not that I'm having trouble finding them per se, I'm just looking for more hands on commentary about them, as checking the lovely local repository for this sort of thing has proven to be less than informative. That and I feel wierd taking the word of a list that has one next to bouncy booby size by race as a recommendation...

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Cass admitts they are far better business partners for merchants and protectors for towns than NCR; even when she's :butthurt: over Legion enforcing proper unliberal gender roles. Of course Legion being only frontal outposts engaged in old school :obviously: war not some half assed ''peace operation'' and ''heart and minds'' which NCR failed too btw :lol: offered little in the way of actual RP. For NCR you were savior from their own incompetence which gave you countless quests; Legion was going to win anyway and didn't really needed some two caps Hero for hire. Also I like the tints and ugliness of FNV it made it more true to desert and post apocalyptic setting.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, I will admit that thanks to some kind donations from the Steam community (ie: Card monies) I'm finally playing this, and going at it blind with sawyer's mod is definitely gosh darned fun, though I can see where some would consider it more within the territory of annoyance. Anyhoo, this is my first time with a Bethesda engine post-Morrowind, and I can see that they've continued with the tradition of promoting taking breaks from the game via random fuckin' crashes. Grrr...

So, can anyone recommend a good fixpack (preferably bug-fix only) or some essential mods to smooth things out a bit? It's not that I'm having trouble finding them per se, I'm just looking for more hands on commentary about them, as checking the lovely local repository for this sort of thing has proven to be less than informative. That and I feel wierd taking the word of a list that has one next to bouncy booby size by race as a recommendation...

Have all fixes and patches and tons of mods so game crashes every 30 minutes or so thanks to memory leaks; Try this one before it will taken down by Nexustapo:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/...age=1&sort=DESC&pid=0&thread_id=1033620&pUp=1

Totaly No PC and with surprisingly well done voice overs. :incline: Would kill for such mod for Legion.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Anyhoo, this is my first time with a Bethesda engine post-Morrowind, and I can see that they've continued with the tradition of promoting taking breaks from the game via random fuckin' crashes. Grrr...

So, can anyone recommend a good fixpack (preferably bug-fix only) or some essential mods to smooth things out a bit?

Buy Xbox 360.

No crashes:smug:

Dustin542

Liturgist

Unfortunately the only bug-fix only mod is outdated and may cause crashes since Obsidian changed the FormIds to things between patches. Everything else is either part of an overhaul (FOOK) or have lots of arbitrary/unnecessary changes that have nothing to do with fixing (Mission Mojave, maybe NVEC).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Are there any must have patches/mods for the game to be enjoyable or should I just go with vanilla? Is Fallout 3 important to play before NV?
MTUI and inventory sorters. JSawyer if you have all the DLC. If you don't, then at least get universal perk requirements (to add OR conditionals to certain perks where it makes sense) and the balanced lists for Legionary assassins and NCR rangers, since the last patch messed them up.

Ultimate Edition or what it's called. So I need Sawyer's patch and UI upgrade basically? I though there was an unofficial patch or something that fixes the leftover bugs. That's all I want basically.

DramaticPopcorn

I would actually recommend playing the game w/o Sawyer's mod for the first time. Game is fine as it is in hardcore mode and on hard difficulty, while sawyer did improve quite a bit on DT and weapon damage (also, reduced XP gain), his mod also introduced a lot of extra tedium (like reduced carryweight, way lower threshold for hunger/thirst/rad) to already tedious game.

DramaticPopcorn

they remain meaningless starting midgame but make for a tedious and boring start

similarly, 50pt lower base carryweight makes for a tedious beginning but becomes inconsequential when you get your pack mules

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Kinda like CoD. That game is filled with strategic choices. Every time you kill an enemy you're presented with the choice of taking his weapon and dropping yours.

Borelli

Arcane
Just keep your OCD in check and do not pick every friggin spoon and tin can you find. New Vegas taught me that you don't REALLY need many things to be happy in life.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Just keep your OCD in check and do not pick every friggin spoon and tin can you find. New Vegas taught me that you don't REALLY need many things to be happy in life.

I don't hoard at all. I just don't enjoy inventory circus in any game, ever. Does anyone say Gothic 2 and Risen are easy games with no choices because they have unlimited inventory? No. So why would New Vegas suddenly become a shitty CoD clone because I don't have to go back to my apartment every session to drop of excess ammo and shit? It doesn't, it just removes tedium.

I can carry every weapon in the game with me but I'm still not gonna use big guns unless I have some skill in them. The idea we need inventory tetris to make choices matter is ridiculous.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't hoard at all. I just don't enjoy inventory circus in any game, ever. Does anyone say Gothic 2 and Risen are easy games with no choices because they have unlimited inventory? No. So why would New Vegas suddenly become a shitty CoD clone because I don't have to go back to my apartment every session to drop of excess ammo and shit? It doesn't, it just removes tedium.

I can carry every weapon in the game with me but I'm still not gonna use big guns unless I have some skill in them. The idea we need inventory tetris to make choices matter is ridiculous.
There's no equipment strategy if you have access to all your weapons and can access them at any time.

Though New Vegas would be improved if it was more like PE and had an unlimited stash you could only access at designated areas. :troll: Strength could determine how much you can place in the top of the pack.

baturinsky

Arcane
Each RPG should have a slave, that automatically completely loot every dungeon you cleared, and then sell/stash/recover/buy back it at your command.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There's no equipment strategy if you have access to all your weapons and can access them at any time.

And I think that is a retarded falsehood. I'm still deciding what weapons to purchase, equip, use, improve, mod and whatever else, on top of choices in skills and perks to improve certain specific weapon types, on top of having to find rare weapons as part of quests.

None of that requires me to have a limited inventory. The idea of choice being dependent on limited inventory is fucking stupid.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
This game's had too many fed-ex.
After a bit of challenge running with no AP rounds vs Radscorpions, the challenge just vanishes after you reach Novac and gain access to Boone.
Also, disable Gun Runner's Arsenal, for some reason dead ghouls in REPCONN facility has Recharger Pistols that's worth 300 caps each. That's just too much cash for too little effort.

Gozma

Arcane
Bethesda style open world games are so nonsensical as games that "challenge" (or strategy) has no meaning. It's like trying to understand "challenge" in Minecraft.

The Sawyer changes (in what you might think would be an Unsawyerian way) are about making it better for playing pretend hiker and managing the pacing (e.g by dropping XP rewards and cutting out the last 20 garbage experience levels that they didn't implement new leveled enemies or equipment to work with).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom