Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, Arx Fatalis...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You're trying way too hard.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It is because you finally noticed how boring and shallow the game is.

:lol:

This guy truly is a glutton for punishment. Shitting on X-COM and Arx Fatalis is full-bore retard tier.
I never shit on Xcom, Arx Fatalis deserves it though. I don't get why you would think you can even understand any of this? You hate me for saying Factorio is lacking. We both know you shamed yourself there. And we both know if your standards are so low that you think a game like that is perfect, you could never understand most of what gets said online or anywhere else. Why even subject yourself to something that is beyond you? You are like a dog screaming at a guy that doesn't want to play catch all day.

imweasel

When I think of something along the lines of a "my top ten underrated games list", Arx Fatalis would definitely be near or maybe even at the top.
I completely agree. Thanks to the Codex I started playing it two days ago and think it is a great game. I even like it more than Ultima Underworld.

:cainapproves:

Such a shame that I skipped this title back in the day.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
To be honest, i didnt expect this, but the exploration and rewards is on par with gothic.

The quest with missing girl
exploring the catacomb, finding out the stone name epitapth can be broken with pickaxe, finding enchanted sword, the went out into the mines, finally finding the cultists in the serpent statue and slowly following them. i didnt even know it was really part of the quest, i thought i was lost and went too far. then you hear the girl crying, finding the secret room and save her.

At the same tunnel you also find the snake ladies headquarters, while jumping on suspiciously deliberate platform found my way to the secret passage that leads into snake people treasure room.

And the best thing is no one really tells you what do do, how to do it, and where to go. The only clue was the first time you talked to the girl, 5 hours of gameplay ago. If you didnt pay attention to where she was playing you wouldn't have known. The game also made really not obvious, until you hear her screaming. No fucking games do it like this anymore. So satisfying

yeah, fucking hell i havent felt this feeling since the first time i played gothic 5 years ago.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Also the book you can find about a farmer obsessed with chicken is super hilarious. He likes chicken so much he cluck like them, learned chicken language, crawl so he sees on chicken eye level LMAO

imweasel

I like the goblins too. They are really stupid, but they think that they are absolute geniuses and that humans are stupid. I got a few good chuckles out of that. ^^

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
finally finished the game. holy shit how this game rarely talked, even in the codex baffles me. this game is GOOOD. alot of memorable moments, clever mechanics, open ended-ness. from diving into the crypt finding legendary shield, the the sister of aderneum trials, crafting the legendary sword, finding a dragon, killing it, figure out the dwarf mechanism. the game is full of brilliance, fun mechanics that made me feel clever for figuring it out. one thing that stood out the is how much cool enviromental kills there are, and usually they are important to kill bosses/tough enemy. like the moment in the crypt, when the lich appear. that epiphany that you can open the lava trapdoor and you lure it, wait at the exact moment and see it cook itself in the lava. the 2 crazy tough dark beast that you can kill by luring it into a hydraulic press, hell even as early as goblin prison, you can kill the big tough golbins by dropping portcullis on them.

it's crazy, this game is so good, so underrated and sadly forgotten. i would kill for an arx fatalis 2. i already have an idea of a sequel involving finding the twin princess mentioned near the end of the game. you are member of traveller's guild, hired by the king to find his other daugther, you travel far to other kingdom and begin your search there. in the middle of the game, you are intercepted by the sister and she ask you to hand the princess over, you get involved in conspiracy, etc etc.

i don't even mind that it has no dialogue choice whatsoever, i feel alot of player freedom by acting instead of just talking. i remember in 2013, spec: ops: the line blew my little mind that the choices are presented by actions (like saving the hanged man by shooting the rope, etc) and i always yearned to play a game where the choices are made trough gameplay and affect the world small or big. finally i found it. it's this game.

10/10

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
It is one of the worst games ever. The spell casting gimmick is not only badly made but it starts being annoying quickly. It stifles the gameplay, that and the fact that there are only a few spells anyway. And besides the crappy spell casting gimmick, the rest of the game is terrible too. Level design, items, character building, story, etc.. Really bad.

It is the same few spells, and you have to use them with the exact same shape drawn a million times. All to progress your journey through a below average game. The whole point of RPGcodex is to circle jerk over old games that put modern games to shame. But shit like this is inferior even to Skyrim. You are all let downs.

dee.jpg

Seems to check out.

Last edited:

Renevent

Cipher
The point DJ made was obvious, the reason you didn't understand it is because you are retarded. Maybe autistic too, that would make a ton of sense.

I'll translate it for you since you are clearly autistic and I'm a nice guy:

"Anvi's post's are shit. Oh, he's retarded, that makes sense"

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
What point are you trying to make? Try using words instead of your faggy reddit pictures.

Could say the same about you. How about you tells us why the game is bad instead of just saying: "Game is really bad... I don't like the spell system... Literally worse than Skyrim... Why? Because I am saying so you fag...".

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
So besides being possibly retarded you also have a short memory.

The only aspect you half assedly explained being bad was the spell system. Even if I coincided you that point, it wouldn't make the game bad as it's only one gameplay system among many others. And you also stated that many other aspects of the game were bad, such as quests, level design, story, character progression and so on and so forth. And you even stated that all these aspects were bellow Skyrim quality wise.

Yet you've not given a single explanation as to why the rest of the game's systems and content were bad. So far the only thing you keep saying is: "I already told you, they're bad m'kay...".

Darth Canoli

Arcane
finally finished the game. holy shit how this game rarely talked, even in the codex baffles me. this game is GOOOD. a lot of memorable moments, clever mechanics, open ended-ness. from diving into the crypt finding legendary shield, the the sister of aderneum trials, crafting the legendary sword, finding a dragon, killing it, figure out the dwarf mechanism. the game is full of brilliance, fun mechanics that made me feel clever for figuring it out. one thing that stood out the is how much cool environmental kills there are, and usually they are important to kill bosses/tough enemy. like the moment in the crypt, when the lich appear. that epiphany that you can open the lava trapdoor and you lure it, wait at the exact moment and see it cook itself in the lava. the 2 crazy tough dark beast that you can kill by luring it into a hydraulic press, hell even as early as goblin prison, you can kill the big tough golbins by dropping portcullis on them.

it's crazy, this game is so good, so underrated and sadly forgotten. i would kill for an arx fatalis 2. i already have an idea of a sequel involving finding the twin princess mentioned near the end of the game. you are member of traveler's guild, hired by the king to find his other daughter, you travel far to other kingdom and begin your search there. in the middle of the game, you are intercepted by the sister and she ask you to hand the princess over, you get involved in conspiracy, etc etc.

i don't even mind that it has no dialogue choice whatsoever, i feel a lot of player freedom by acting instead of just talking. i remember in 2013, spec: ops: the line blew my little mind that the choices are presented by actions (like saving the hanged man by shooting the rope, etc) and i always yearned to play a game where the choices are made trough gameplay and affect the world small or big. finally i found it. it's this game.

10/10

:bro:

Thanks for the review, it's a breath of fresh air.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
So besides being possibly retarded you also have a short memory.

The only aspect you half assedly explained being bad was the spell system. Even if I coincided you that point, it wouldn't make the game bad as it's only one gameplay system among many others. And you also stated that many other aspects of the game were bad, such as quests, level design, story, character progression and so on and so forth. And you even stated that all these aspects were bellow Skyrim quality wise.

Yet you've not given a single explanation as to why the rest of the game's systems and content were bad. So far the only thing you keep saying is: "I already told you, they're bad m'kay...".
Nope I also said the world design, itemisation, etc. All bad. And they are below Skyrim which itself is shit. I can't remember it enough to explain what is wrong with all those things, I just remember it was all weak and shitty. Why even defend this game? You must know deep down it is shitty.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Nope I also said the world design, itemisation, etc. All bad. And they are below Skyrim which itself is shit.

And again, you haven't explained why.

I can't remember it enough to explain what is wrong with all those things, I just remember it was all weak and shitty.

So you can't even remember why the game is bad. Yet we must take your opinion as a valid one because you keep insisting the game bad (despite the fact unlike you, we do remember the damn game).

Why even defend this game? You must know deep down it is shitty.

You know... maybe I really am the one wrong here.
After all, it is I who is expecting someone who perceives Thief as a shallowly designed game, to give any kind of valid and well argued opinion on a game he barely knows.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I remember Ludo Lense’s review for Arx and I have to agree that with 6 more months of development this would have been maybe top 3 of all time
As it is the game shows a lack of polish on some areas such as Ratmen level or the engame, plus some undercooked mechanics and AI for the side quests... but the level design, interactivity and that magic system make it such a memorable game

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
To be honest, i didnt expect this, but the exploration and rewards is on par with gothic.

The quest with missing girl
exploring the catacomb, finding out the stone name epitapth can be broken with pickaxe, finding enchanted sword, the went out into the mines, finally finding the cultists in the serpent statue and slowly following them. i didnt even know it was really part of the quest, i thought i was lost and went too far. then you hear the girl crying, finding the secret room and save her.

At the same tunnel you also find the snake ladies headquarters, while jumping on suspiciously deliberate platform found my way to the secret passage that leads into snake people treasure room.

And the best thing is no one really tells you what do do, how to do it, and where to go. The only clue was the first time you talked to the girl, 5 hours of gameplay ago. If you didnt pay attention to where she was playing you wouldn't have known. The game also made really not obvious, until you hear her screaming. No fucking games do it like this anymore. So satisfying

yeah, fucking hell i havent felt this feeling since the first time i played gothic 5 years ago.
And this is how you trick noobs and why Skyrim sells bazzillions.

The quest with the missing girl is actually on mandatory triggers and is spoonfed to you.
First, the woman trader starts crying about the girl missing. Literally cant miss it, she is outside and initiates dialogue.
The 2 shacks closeby with suspicious people inside that tell you to go away, when you knock are now open, or rarther 1 is open, the second is empty. Inside is a book where they tell you they found a sacrifice and where and on what level it is happening...
When you are on the 4th level and find the sacrificial room, there is no crying! There is no one inside.
And only if you run around on the 4th level, on the far corner is a trigger that actually spawns the cultists... whome you eyerollingly follow to the place that you already looted and left open. They dont care.
So much for satifsfying and not obvious.

The jumping sequence is very obvious but the payoff is shit. I am not far enough into the game but I am guessing that it is better not to slaughter the snakewomen...

Don Peste

Arcane
437853_6663b11071aa4b37bb3a6a66d489c76f~mv2.gif

I'm a big fan of immersive sims. Deus Ex, Thief, and System Shock are the names that typically come to mind for most people when the genre comes up - certainly for good reason, I love those games too! - but Arx Fatalis is one that is, unfortunately, pretty frequently overlooked. That's a real shame because it's great! It has some rough spots - namely some really bizarre voice acting and some elements that are half-baked, bordering on non-existent (like archery) - but underneath that there's an interesting world that's really worth exploring.

Definitive Edition Patch Features:

-Patches the game to use Arx Libertatis mod (v1.2-dev)

-Controller support via Antimicro

-Reshade support with my custom presets and options

-Strategy Guide -ASuite for management

The keyboard controls and controller mapping are as follows (based on a 360/XB1 controller):

WASD | Left Stick = Move
Mouse | Right Stick = Move cursor
Space | A = Jump
F | B = Use item
Tab | Y = Draw weapon
RT = Left click / Attack
LCtrl | LT = Magic
LShift | LB = Sneak / Precast Spell
Right click | RB = Toggle inventory
G | D-pad Left = Mana potion
M | D-pad Up = Toggle mini map
H | D-pad Right = Life potion
1 | X + D-pad Left = Cast precast spell 1
2 | X + D-pad Up = Cast precast spell 2
3 | X + D-pad Right = Cast precast spell 3
Start = ESC
Backspace | Back = Toggle book
C | L3 (left stick click) = Toggle crouch

Note that the game itself is not included with this patch. You must install the GOG or Steam versions first. The only requirement is that the game be in a folder named "Arx Fatalis" (it will be by default). The path to that folder doesn't matter, just the folder name.

1. Simply extract Arx Fatalis (Definitive Edition) into a folder parallel to Arx Fatalis, so, for example: C:\Games\Arx Fatalis C:\Games\Arx Fatalis (Definitive Edition)

2. Now go into the Arx Fatalis (Definitive Edition) folder and start PATCH.bat.

And that's it! You're all set! Now you can start “Launcher and Settings.exe” for the Launcher UI or you can start “Arx Fatalis.exe” to start the game.

Everything is completely portable, so if you want to uninstall the GOG/Steam version, move the Definitive Edition folder somewhere else... put it wherever you want and it'll still work.

Have fun!

Download the patch here
https://www.zombs-lair.com/post/definitive-edition-patcher-arx-fatalis

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom