Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, Arx Fatalis...

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Great game. I wish rpgs took more after Arx and not Elder Scrolls.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Great game. I wish rpgs took more after Arx and not Elder Scrolls.
True.
If only FROM Software came back to their first person RPGs that would be something, King's Field was interesting project, better than overrated TESes.
Because who else? InXile? Obsidian? Don't make me laugh.
Or Larian? They didn't make Divinity in first person, yet.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:necro:
Starting this game.

using ark libertaris or whatever it is called. it looks okay for a 2002 game. graphics looks a bit better than theif without texture mod, aside from it, nothing special but it has atmosphere. it run perfectly on modern PC @ the resolution of 1440p. the only technical issue is at that resolution the UI is painfully small.

just got to the tavern above, met grue, etc. really good game. i really like how open ended, and abusable the system is, for example, killing all the guards by dropping portcullis over their heads, the objectives seems to be "however you play" thing ala thief/deus ex stuff.

at first, the controls are really daunting, especially the menu, inventory, etc but when you finally "get" it, it feels wonderful. the combat is kinda cluncky, but it is, magically STILL better than any modern bethesda game's melee. like a hit at least register, and i feel like enemy react accordingly with every hit, no floaty bethesda feeling. it is much like less polished version of dishonored, which are always better than bethesda's crap.

casting spells can be a pain in the ass, but the "quickspell" slot is such a brilliant idea, than you cast them earlier and use it whenever you need it with a push of a button. this semi vancian system allows you to take advantage to scout ahead, then plan your attacks. it is also a utility.

i dunno how i missed it all these years, got the game for like 2 dollars in a sale, finally trying it out.

brilliant game. sadly, there aren't any games like this anymore :( except for the ultima underworld(1/2)

deama

Prophet
Starting this game.

using ark libertaris or whatever it is called. it looks okay for a 2002 game. graphics looks a bit better than theif without texture mod, aside from it, nothing special but it has atmosphere. it run perfectly on modern PC @ the resolution of 1440p. the only technical issue is at that resolution the UI is painfully small.

just got to the tavern above, met grue, etc. really good game. i really like how open ended, and abusable the system is, for example, killing all the guards by dropping portcullis over their heads, the objectives seems to be "however you play" thing ala thief/deus ex stuff.

at first, the controls are really daunting, especially the menu, inventory, etc but when you finally "get" it, it feels wonderful. the combat is kinda cluncky, but it is, magically STILL better than any modern bethesda game's melee. like a hit at least register, and i feel like enemy react accordingly with every hit, no floaty bethesda feeling. it is much like less polished version of dishonored, which are always better than bethesda's crap.

casting spells can be a pain in the ass, but the "quickspell" slot is such a brilliant idea, than you cast them earlier and use it whenever you need it with a push of a button. this semi vancian system allows you to take advantage to scout ahead, then plan your attacks. it is also a utility.

i dunno how i missed it all these years, got the game for like 2 dollars in a sale, finally trying it out.

brilliant game. sadly, there aren't any games like this anymore :( except for the ultima underworld(1/2)
Imagine playing arx with something like this in the middle of the night:
Adalight_Rainbow.jpg

HA! Sucker! I've got this right now and I'm playing games with it!!!!

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It is one of the worst games ever. The spell casting gimmick is not only badly made but it starts being annoying quickly. It stifles the gameplay, that and the fact that there are only a few spells anyway. And besides the crappy spell casting gimmick, the rest of the game is terrible too. Level design, items, character building, story, etc.. Really bad.

deama

Prophet
It is one of the worst games ever. The spell casting gimmick is not only badly made but it starts being annoying quickly. It stifles the gameplay, that and the fact that there are only a few spells anyway. And besides the crappy spell casting gimmick, the rest of the game is terrible too. Level design, items, character building, story, etc.. Really bad.
There's a dozen spells at least!

Renevent

Cipher
There's 40-50 last I checked, and a lot of them are cool and/or unique, not just 5 types of magic missle.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It is the same few spells, and you have to use them with the exact same shape drawn a million times. All to progress your journey through a below average game. The whole point of RPGcodex is to circle jerk over old games that put modern games to shame. But shit like this is inferior even to Skyrim. You are all let downs.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Starting this game.

The dev snapshot of Arx Libertatis has an optional "alternative spellcasting" setting that makes casting spells way easier from what I've heard.
http://arx-libertatis.org/files/snapshots/arx-libertatis-1.2-dev-2019-01-13/

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You should literally be shot for this moronic post.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You should literally be shot for this moronic post.
i mean he likes oblivion . . .

Should be a telling sign of mental deficiency

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom