Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So... Dragon Age 2...

Am I a terrible judge of games?

• Total voters

MasPingon

Arcane
It's not so-bad-it's-good. It's not cheesy enough and treads itself way to serious. There are a lot of humor attempts but they are pretentious and fucking stupid in not-funny way. The game tries to be good in it's pathetic way, but fails miserably, screaming "Love me (in the ass), faggots". You can call "so bad-it's-good" Braindead or Toxic Avenger movies, but not this piece of crap

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know bros...
You see, I've recently started a wonderful adventure with good bad movies. Cocaine ninjas, erotic dancer with four tits and tentacle vagina, italian star wars, blue cavemen, explosive hookers, severed head giving head - overall great stuff, it really expanded my horizons.
But good bad games? It just can't work. 20 hours of tedious gameplay kills any kind of enjoyment. (Furthermore, when you are making out with slutty pirate in DA, you are actually making out with D. Gaider. Think about it).

MasPingon

Arcane
I don't know bros...
You see, I've recently started a wonderful adventure with good bad movies. Cocaine ninjas, erotic dancer with four tits and tentacle vagina, italian star wars, blue cavemen, explosive hookers, severed head giving head - overall great stuff, it really expanded my horizons.
But good bad games? It just can't work. 20 hours of tedious gameplay kills any kind of enjoyment. (Furthermore, when you are making out with slutty pirate in DA, you are actually making out with D. Gaider. Think about it).

:bro:

killer_condom_udo_samel_martin_walz_001_jpg_pxxt.jpg

A must see. Gaider, I mean Giger involved

pan

Learned
david gaider is a master of humour

sten, a big warrior, has cookies - so random
the golem kills birds hahaha
alistair: (while male Warden is kissing Morrigan outside of the party camp) "Excuse me while I begin projectile vomiting."

"i want to be a dragon" is deemed pretentious by the codex because it's so true. - codex, you are right about this and everything else, including the decision for DA:O to be GOTY 2007

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sten and his cookies and years-late cake-is-a-lie reference is all Kirby's, not Gaider. The others are his though.

In the context it appears on the game (the witch shows up as an enormous dragon before turning back into human form), it's just a nonchalant "cool, can you teach me how to do that" joke. It's an overused action movie hero quip, but neither pretentious nor ironic.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
It's not so-bad-it's-good. It's not cheesy enough and treads itself way to serious. There are a lot of humor attempts but they are pretentious and fucking stupid in not-funny way. The game tries to be good in it's pathetic way, but fails miserably, screaming "Love me (in the ass), faggots". You can call "so bad-it's-good" Braindead or Toxic Avenger movies, but not this piece of crap
But that's the thing. It's because Dragon Age 2 takes itself dead serious at all times that it's so hilariously bad. The first Mass Effect had this as well. Lots of moments where you were supposed to be feel sad that some minor character died or something didn't work out for the heroes. I once toyed with the idea of putting together a montage of all the sad scenes and have Sarah McLachlan's "I will remember you" play over sepias for each deceased character. Like, I will remember you, Jenkins. Then I will remember you, stupid fucking Council meeting. Then I will remember you, guy on Feros who commits suicide after an hilarious monologue "OH THIS THING WANTS ME HURT YOU SHEPARD BUT I'M TOO STRONG GONNA SHOOT MYSELF NOW BANG!" Cue sepia, cue music. Etc. I don't know why I didn't end up doing it. Oh right, I'd have to play Mass Effect 1 again. Nevermind.

That said, Troma's movies are "bad" movies, alright, but a lot of work and passion went into the making of them. I'm actually convinced that far more work and passion went into the making of the Toxic Avenger movies, than Dragon Age 2 ever saw. They're still "so-bad-they're-good", just better. I enjoy watching them like good movies.

DraQ

Arcane
I once toyed with the idea of putting together a montage of all the sad scenes and have Sarah McLachlan's "I will remember you" play over sepias for each deceased character. Like, I will remember you, Jenkins. Then I will remember you, stupid fucking Council meeting. Then I will remember you, guy on Feros who commits suicide after an hilarious monologue "OH THIS THING WANTS ME HURT YOU SHEPARD BUT I'M TOO STRONG GONNA SHOOT MYSELF NOW BANG!" Cue sepia, cue music. Etc. I don't know why I didn't end up doing it.
DO IT FAGGOT.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If I wanted to be a dragon I would have bought Divinity 2 instead of DA2.
:smug:
Oh, wait, that's what I actually did.
:troll:
Twice.
jgzyC8p.jpg

PS DA2 is a better timesink than Divinity 2. But Flames of Vengeance has better content. Helps that it's only 11 hours, four of which are just running around finding things and talking to people.

But that's the thing. It's because Dragon Age 2 takes itself dead serious at all times that it's so hilariously bad.
But it doesn't? There's nothing serious about an opening gameplay segment where Bethany's bust has been grossly exaggerated or Sir Mix-a-Lot and Underpants Gnomes references or a quest where you kill wave after wave of enemies so your companion can have an uninterrupted date while possibly being completely oblivious to your own advances or Merrill being so thick she literally needs to walk around Kirkwall trailing a ball of string so she can find her way back home or Anders telling Isabela he's not going to cure her STDs anymore while she walks away giving you bedroom eyes and so on.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I like how that one line of dialogue in Roguey's screenshot has more creativity, personality and charisma than all of Dragon Age 2's writing combined. It's kinda funny that for a company that really does not take its games very seriously and doesn't champion its writers, they still have better-written characters, lore, books, etc. than most other RPGs out there. Larian's games are constantly and consistently entertaining as far as writing goes, something BioWare never is.

Dragon Age 2 doesn't take itself seriously at all times, no. It does have humor and silliness. The problem is that the core story is very serious, as are many of the character arcs and sub-plots, yet the writers don't seem to understand how tone works and often throw bad attempts at humor, Internet memes and references, etc. into the most awkward and random spots. The execution in Dragon Age 2 is also lacking most of the time, which not only leads to huge tonal and thematic dissonance in certain scenes that are meant to be key to the story and clearly intended to be emotionally affecting for the main characters and thus the audience, it also frequently ends up being unintentionally, pants-wettingly hilarious. The bad writing itself further undermines any scenes that aren't ruined by those thematic and tonal problems, usually just leaving you scratching your head and wondering what the hell is up with all the plot holes or non-existent character motivations.

DraQ

Arcane
I like how that one line of dialogue in Roguey's screenshot has more creativity, personality and charisma than all of Dragon Age 2's writing combined. It's kinda funny that for a company that really does not take its games very seriously and doesn't champion its writers, they still have better-written characters, lore, books, etc. than most other RPGs out there. Larian's games are constantly and consistently entertaining as far as writing goes, something BioWare never is.

Dragon Age 2 doesn't take itself seriously at all times, no. It does have humor and silliness. The problem is that the core story is very serious, as are many of the character arcs and sub-plots, yet the writers don't seem to understand how tone works and often throw bad attempts at humor, Internet memes and references, etc. into the most awkward and random spots. The execution in Dragon Age 2 is also lacking most of the time, which not only leads to huge tonal and thematic dissonance in certain scenes that are meant to be key to the story and clearly intended to be emotionally affecting for the main characters and thus the audience, it also frequently ends up being unintentionally, pants-wettingly hilarious. The bad writing itself further undermines any scenes that aren't ruined by those thematic and tonal problems, usually just leaving you scratching your head and wondering what the hell is up with all the plot holes or non-existent character motivations.
Humorless when they mean to be funny, hilarious when they try to be serious, Bioware is truly the Dragon Terror Patrol of the gaming industry.
:hero:

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Man... my favourite bit is Anders' sidequest "Tranquil solution" and DLC prince commenting on it: "So your "Tranquil Solution" was hardly the holocaust you imagined".

Subtle.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I like how that one line of dialogue in Roguey's screenshot has more creativity, personality and charisma than all of Dragon Age 2's writing combined.
No. What a fucking stupid thing to say.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom