Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So how hard is RPG solodev? An AMA thread

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Are there any tutorials on game design which you can recommend? I'm toying with the idea of getting into game development as modern games are so shit. I can programm, so that isn't an issue, but I have no idea on what actually makes a game fun or how you build a good level in something like a jump and run.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Are there any tutorials on game design which you can recommend? I'm toying with the idea of getting into game development as modern games are so shit. I can programm, so that isn't an issue, but I have no idea on what actually makes a game fun or how you build a good level in something like a jump and run.
I don't remember any videos/tutorials that stuck with me, and a lot of the youtubers that "teach" gamedev today are basically grifters.

My advice is really just the standard "make what you like." You must like games. What makes them fun for you? What features/mechanics do you like?

At the end of the day, I just make shit similar to what I liked when I was younger, with a few new things thrown in.

tomphonse

Literate
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Do you think you will ever move over to something like Godot or Unreal?
:-D

Already did:

Very cool.
Interesting that you say the game will still remain turn-based. How exactly are you planning to reconcile that with the perspective change?
Will it just transition to a tactical view when you enter combat or are you going more the blobber route?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Very cool.
Interesting that you say the game will still remain turn-based. How exactly are you planning to reconcile that with the perspective change?
Will it just transition to a tactical view when you enter combat or are you going more the blobber route?
It'll transition to tactical view with an overhead free camera in combat. Basically what Archaelund does, although the combat system is very different (there's guns and cover and a different type of AP system).

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...-combat-now-available-on-early-access.126339/

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
So what are you going to put on your resumé if you need a non-gamedev software job? This is my predicament atm

So what are you going to put on your resumé if you need a non-gamedev software job? This is my predicament atm
I would imagine its a real struggle. There was a time not that long ago that virtually anyone was walking into six fig dev jobs. I actually think Australia is still doing fine dev wise for jobs. But in Europe and US software dev is a dying industry.

If I wanted a job in dev I would have to suck up my pride and call in some favours or maybe take a management job or something. I am not willing to do that. So I make my game for fun not work, as it should be.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
C/C++ and good coffee making skill

Just like when you learn WebDevelopment to earn money for food but you wanna make video games you learn all concepts by making game with JavaScript libraries for games. You at the same time learn JavaScript AND game dev (basic concepts). Same is true for C/C++. Super useful in game dev, super useful elsewhere. Looks good on CV, means you can learn Python or anything as well

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Best thing to have is portfolio. Collection of your personal and commercial projects you worked on. Nothing beats that and hires you quickly especially if those products were in production and generated $$$

Best thing to have is portfolio. Collection of your personal and commercial projects you worked on. Nothing beats that and hires you quickly especially if those products were in production and generated $$$
Thats probably true. I think its tragic that you have to create a portfolio to even get an interview (if the job even exists is another matter). Imagine calling a plumber up to do some work but asking for a portfolio of his "past work" before hand. Absurd. Frankly I'd rather sweep streets or do something like that, more beneficial for my health and wider society.

Not.AI

Learned
"So what are you going to put on your resumé if you need a non-gamedev software job? This is my predicament atm..."

Not just projects and demos. Papers at conferences help...

NwNgger

Educated
Very cool.
It'll transition to tactical view with an overhead free camera in combat. Basically what Archaelund does, although the combat system is very different (there's guns and cover and a different type of AP system).

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...-combat-now-available-on-early-access.126339/
What about doing combat like a blobber? The exploration is free form but combat is tile based and first person similar to Wizardry etc, Keep the perspective first person but have some way of ordering party members around in a turn based grid.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
What about doing combat like a blobber? The exploration is free form but combat is tile based and first person similar to Wizardry etc, Keep the perspective first person but have some way of ordering party members around in a turn based grid.

There's a lot of reasons why I don't make blobbers, but the top is probably because I have no experience in making blobbers and I don't usually play them.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
making rpgs is stupid
Making video games or anything digital for that matter is stupid.
Learn a trade, buy land, fuck off from society.
I have nothing against people who work hard to provide for their families, but at the same time I also don't want to do labor for the next [x] years, most of it making money for someone else.

Also, I believe that if you are talented and have passion for something, you owe it to yourself to explore it. Otherwise talentless motherfuckers, like the ones who run modern media, are going to continue saturating everything with complete shit.

Sweeper

Arcane
I have nothing against people who work hard to provide for their families, but at the same time I also don't want to do labor for the next [x] years, most of it making money for someone else.

Also, I believe that if you are talented and have passion for something, you owe it to yourself to explore it. Otherwise talentless motherfuckers, like the ones who run modern media, are going to continue saturating everything with complete shit.
I don't have anything against people who wanna make vidya, I'm just saying, big picture? Living in an urban environment and code monkey work might not be the best decision, long term. But I've been wrong about this stuff before so eh...

bionicman

Augur
I like how I wrote a shitpost in this thread, come back to see it part of a pyramid quote, lmao, codex never ceases to disappoint

Sweeper

Arcane
It's my fault, I can take any topic of discussion that has absolutely fuck all to do with Jews or the industrial revolution being the worst thing to ever happen to mankind and make it all about those two things.
It's a blessing and a curse.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It's my fault, I can take any topic of discussion that has absolutely fuck all to do with Jews or the industrial revolution being the worst thing to ever happen to mankind and make it all about those two things.
It's a blessing and a curse.
Come to a video game forum
Complain about the industrial revolution thanks to which we can all enjoy video games

If only there were better places (or even subforums) for such talk...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom