Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, Jaesun, what's a "classic RPG"? (poll)

What do you think of the new RPG forums?

• Total voters

20 Eyes

Liturgist
This new forum division doesn't go too far enough. Here is my proposal:

The Golden Age - anything before 1991
Post-Golden Age Pre-Modern Dungeon Crawlers
Post-Golden Age Pre-Modern Isometric Games/Single Character Control
Post-Golden Age Pre-Modern Isometric Games/Party Control Control
2001: A CRPG Odyssey - Games from 2001-2006
The New Shit - AAA games from 2007-2010
NCAAA RPG Madness! - AAA games from 2011 on up
Isometric Fallouts
First Person Fallouts
Isometric Fallouts/Party Control
The Coffee Shop - Post-Golden Age Indie Games
The Jap Shit - anything from Japan

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few forums, but I think this will neatly arrange the threads in an easy to understand manner while giving Jaeson plenty of opportunities to hit the 'Move Thread' button he finds so fascinating.

Stabwound

Arcane
I get what you're going for here but it's just going to be a fuckup to separate the forums based on a criteria so vague. Is it really even that big of a problem? Honestly, like someone else said, the "classic RPG" forum is going to be a ghost town compared to the rest of the forums. Like it or not, there are 20 Skyrim/Diablo threads created for every Ultima/Wizardry thread created even now... because those are the games that are new and relevant even if they're shitty.

Gregz

Arcane
I understand the motivation to do something like this...but are we not the Codex? Isn't it presumed that any non-prestigious title will be ridiculed into *puts on sunglasses* oblivion?

'Classic' isn't defined by timelines or eras, but by reception and all kinds of rather arbitrary and contentious criteria. Lots of old-school Codexians love the Gothic games for instance, but just as many hate them...so are they not to be considered classics? This is a slippery slope. o_O

Maybe the desired functionality would be better implemented by giving mods the power to add tags to threads (bioware, jrpg, arpg, etc.), and then giving users the ability to filter tags (thread types) that they don't want to read? It could be a more powerful version of the ignore function, which would ignore undesirable content based on associated tags. Does the forum software have this capability?

Turjan

Arcane
Maybe the desired functionality would be better implemented by giving mods the power to add tags...
Oh, please don't! I don't read the news forum anymore because my eyes start bleeding when I look at that color disaster.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I get what you're going for here but it's just going to be a fuckup to separate the forums based on a criteria so vague. Is it really even that big of a problem? Honestly, like someone else said, the "classic RPG" forum is going to be a ghost town compared to the rest of the forums. Like it or not, there are 20 Skyrim/Diablo threads created for every Ultima/Wizardry thread created even now... because those are the games that are new and relevant even if they're shitty.
I'm amused by this argument that for some reason, we should be encouraging more shit topics so as to drown out everything else.

'Classic' isn't defined by timelines or eras, but by reception and all kinds of rather arbitrary and contentious criteria.
No. In this case, "Classic" is defined by Jaesun. :smug:

This seems unnecessarily complicated and highly arbitrary. It's not that GRPGD is overly busy, anyway.
I'd say two week old topics being on page 2 is fast moving enough. Certainly for the Codex.

Also, you seem very butthurt about this Turjan. Are you worried that you won't be able to hide all your posts amongst the other RPGs now because they're about less prestigious games and not worthy of the Classic forum?

Turjan

Arcane
This seems unnecessarily complicated and highly arbitrary. It's not that GRPGD is overly busy, anyway.
I'd say two week old topics being on page 2 is fast moving enough. Certainly for the Codex.

Also, you seem very butthurt about this Turjan. Are you worried that you won't be able to hide all your posts amongst the other RPGs now because they're about less prestigious games and not worthy of the Classic forum?
I don't really care what anyone else thinks about what games I post about, and I don't remember calling any other poster out about this, either. I guess everyone just reads and writes about what interests him or her, except the trolls (and of course moderators). I just don't see any sense in using an ill-defined distinction to separate RPG posts into different forums, and I have to basically look through both forums to find threads that might interest me (I already noticed some of my favorite RPGs ending up in different forums). It's the same mess as when Jaesun started arbitrarily moving RPG threads to GG (on the other hand, that brought me to start reading GG, which I didn't read before that). It's just annoying.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'm so conflicted. On one hand it seems like a silly and arbitrary division that excludes fallout 1, planescape: torment and knights of the chalice. On the other hand, jfaggotry is banned (as opposed to regular faggotry) which is a clear incline.

betamin

Learned
This new forum division doesn't go too far enough. Here is my proposal:

The Golden Age - anything before 1991
Post-Golden Age Pre-Modern Dungeon Crawlers
Post-Golden Age Pre-Modern Isometric Games/Single Character Control
Post-Golden Age Pre-Modern Isometric Games/Party Control Control
2001: A CRPG Odyssey - Games from 2001-2006
The New Shit - AAA games from 2007-2010
NCAAA RPG Madness! - AAA games from 2011 on up
Isometric Fallouts
First Person Fallouts
Isometric Fallouts/Party Control
The Coffee Shop - Post-Golden Age Indie Games
The Jap Shit - anything from Japan

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few forums, but I think this will neatly arrange the threads in an easy to understand manner while giving Jaeson plenty of opportunities to hit the 'Move Thread' button he finds so fascinating.

This. But seriously this seems kinda lame, there isn't enough movement to warrant a split, go grab a dick if you want to control something hon.

made

Arcane
Indeed. Lumping them all together in GRPGD worked out pretty well; the dreaded onslaught of jrpg faggotry never happened; old, new, and japanese coexisted peacefully side by side. Now you come and ghettoize them again. But hey, if it keeps Jaesun occupied...

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
classic RPG's???

is the trend going to be to end with a forum for each individual game?

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Please move back that 'classic RPG' nonsense back to general RPG discussion. There are enough forums to browse as it is.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I've given it some more thought.

If Jaesun wants a forum that badly , it should get the threads people want to post in it, not whichever threads get charrypicked and hijacked from GRPGD. Shit's confusing enough to follow without threads movign from board to board all willy-nilly. and if your criteria is that the game must've been released before 2k, then we've already said pretty much everything there is to be said about the titles in question.

In conclusion, this is a vanity board that serves little practical purpose. If Jaesun wants a subforum to lord over, let's make a "jrpg desu" forum where everything released in an asian language or from an asian developer gets lumped together for mockery and spite.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Oh dear. I should've learnt by now of the C&C involved in posting in site feedback. I guess Vaarna_Arne, Black_Cat and RK47 will be thrilled though.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
What's the bloody point?

No. In this case, "Classic" is defined by Jaesun. :smug:

Oh, if you are putting it that way, might as well just rename it to 'Ultima Discussion' and be done with it then. Or "Jaesun's Funhouse", should be even more to the point.

Multi-headed Cow

Is Bloodlines a classic RPG? What about Deus Ex? What about Legend of Grimrock?

Is Doom a classic RPG because in it you play a role and it's old?

Stabwound

Arcane
What about Wasteland 2? Mask of the Betrayer? Knights of the Chalice? Modern or up-and-coming games that fit the "classic CRPG" mold and are well-liked?

What about Descent to Undermountain? Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor? Fountain of Dreams? All games that are old but certainly aren't classics by any stretch of the imagination.

Hell, what about things like Ultima V: Lazarus? Another Codex-celebrated game, but is a mod of an awful modern game.

"Classic" is such an arbitrary and subjective criteria to split the boards on. I'd prefer a tagging system like forums such as the SomethingAwful forums use, where every thread can be categorized and then users can opt to filter the viewed threads by category, like "Ultima Series" or "Pre 2000" or whatever the fuck you moderators decide on.

Micmu

Magister
Incline!
I see you made jrpg subforum for weeaboo shits now. Which means they are still allowed to congregate here. What was wrong with retardo land, then?
Now there's still a matter of Skyway, Ass Effect, Diaper 3 shits.... :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom