Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, NWN2.

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
Major_Boobage said:
standard cliché reponse 1/10.

Right back at you.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Wyrmlord said:
And you are the same guy dismissing Realms Of Arkania II: The Star Trail, because you thought it had a bad interface. I mean, you can find some genuine faults with that game, but interface?
Are you the same guy who can't keep RoA1 and RoA2 apart? Are you the same guy who tries to pull a completely different topic into the discussion to invalidate someone elses opinion without providing arguments for either of your points?
Before you hurt you brain contemplating it: Yes, you are.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Dude, to put it bluntly again, it takes nothing to set up the camera properly in NWN2 other than a little time tinkering over the settings.

Yes, it might be an initial barrier to the game. And yet, once it is handled, it does not need to be a problem again.

All the same, if there is an issue with a game, and the game allows you a means to correct it on your own anyway, should that even be considered a problem?

Again, like you said, by the default Strategy mode, the camera is still fixed on the character, but you can turn that off and put on Free Move. Other than that, within the free panning that the camera can allow, yes, there is a limit on the distance within which it can pan.

Which would serve a purpose in a real-time strategy game, where you can select a unit from your own base and order him all over the enemy's location. And yet, in a smaller scale computer role playing game, where all the units are closely knit, it really isn't that necessary, as far as I can see it.

Moreover, although I was in the habit of simply selecting units in one part of the map and clicking on a whole other part of the map to move them over in the Infinity Engine games, I'd be lying if there weren't any pathing issues involved, and that it did not come down to slowly waypointing it anyway.

Again, people can always call out NWN2 for having certain broken classes or having exploits within the multiclassing system, and yet to frequently bring it back to such easily mitigated issues like the camera is the whole reason why there has rarely been any serious discussion on NWN2, or any talk about how the game's ruleset or system could be improved. Hell, it's not like Obsidian does not visit RPG forums, and that they don't incorporate any good ideas that they hear from players; unless all the patches for the game never happened. And yet, because they see people talking about all this, they can safely think, "Ah good, so that is ALL that is wrong with our game." Somehow, relevant discussions on NWN2 actually happen in NWN2 Bioware Forums, and yet rarely in a place like RPGCodex. Why?

sirfink

Scholar
FeelTheRads said:
Seriously, 90% of NPC start their dialog with "ah..." and at some point they'll be sneaky and use a pause, like "they'll be... taken care of" or some other shit like this. I'm sure there is a name for when you say something else than you actually mean, but I don't know it.

I don't know where or when this over-use of ellipsis got started, but I too find it... annoying. It's all over Mysteries of Westgate. The writers who do this are... intellectually challenged.

nomask7

Arcane
There isn't much to do with the non-mouse hand in the game, except control the camera, so why not use it for that purpose? I see the camera as an integral element of gameplay, I keep adjusting it relaxedly on the fly without thinking about it, it's like my right hand, so surprise surprise, I have no problems with it and in fact I think it's much better than any fixed camera could ever be. I suggest using the camera in a way that enhances atmosphere (in dungeons, so that you can't see much more than your characters would see, for example).

Shannow

Waster of Time
nomask7 said:
There isn't much to do with the non-mouse hand in the game, except control the camera, so why not use it for that purpose? I see the camera as an integral element of gameplay, I keep adjusting it relaxedly on the fly without thinking about it, it's like my right hand, so surprise surprise, I have no problems with it and in fact I think it's much better than any fixed camera could ever be. I suggest using the camera in a way that enhances atmosphere (in dungeons, so that you can't see much more than your characters would see, for example).
Personally, in non-FP 3d games I like to move the camera with the cursor keys, while panning it either with mouse-look, right-click and hold mouse-look or via touching the end of the screen (preferably only left and right. Up and down sucks). Zooming should be done via mouse-wheel or page up/down on the keyboard. Really not all that much to ask for.
As for willfully restricting my sight in a game... No. Never. Current games don't provide human senses or the ability to instantly look around the way the eyes and neck provide. So I see no reason to further restrict my senses.

Wyrmi, if you write a wall of text, don't start with "Dude". I won't read it.

felicity

Scholar
I use WASD for panning in strategy mode, my mouse controls the camera angle and zoom, worked well for me. The camera still need some fixing though, glitches like auto zoom in when climbing a hill still present, and option like auto-hide buildings like you could in NWN1.

RTS control scheme doesn't work for me, my companions constantly abandon their tasks and just run aimlessly. I took some time to experiment and I found a glitch involves drag and left click selection.

To be specific:

(all done in strategy mode)

1. In option menu, make sure the "left click to take control character" is check for strategy mode.

2. Drag select characters.

3. Assign an order, like a melee attack.

4. Left click any of your characters in the main UI(not at the portrait), supposely you will take control of him.

5. Instead, all the characters you previously drag selected will have their actions cancelled and run to the character you left clicked at (4).

I wonder if any of you have encountered this problem.

nomask7

Arcane
Shannow said:
panning ... up and down sucks.
Yet it's useful if you want to have an atmospheric camera that doesn't make your poor old machine grind to a halt. Another solution would be to increase the fog, but I rather spend some of my time looking at floor tiles than fog in a place that shouldn't have fog.

Panning up and down isn't something I have to do very often, but I'd rather do it with minute precision when I feel the need than fall back on rigid preset alternatives that may come close to what I want if I'm lucky.

Suchy

Arcane
Crispy said:
TEH CAMERA!!!!!11

user18158_pic2535_1232324131.png
The reason I couldn't play MoTB...

Anyone tried this? http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... ail&id=351
Is it playable at all?

nomask7

Arcane
I hope you bought it. If you bought it, then all is well. No one cares whether you actually played it.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
The only thing I wrote for NWN2 were the descriptions for the four falchions in the game.

Threat deflected.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Seriously, If you can't fucking spend a few minutes tweaking the camera to your liking, you should probably do us all a favor and just kill yourself.

:twisted:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
What about if it can't be "tweaked to my liking"? Having to continuously rotate the camera in all possible directions so I can fucking see what happens (great fun fighting dragons with this camera, btw) will never be to my liking.
Anyway, my initial post wasn't much complaining about the camera, which I guess CAN be overlooked if you really try, but about worse things.

Also, someone explain me this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/ ... 204211.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/ ... 204218.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/ ... 204216.jpg

Something I'm missing or some awesome bug? Neither Sand nor Zhjaeve can cast any extended, empowered or whatever spells, but the main character can. Is this limited to the main character? If so, then why the fuck do other characters have or can take them?

Jim Cojones

Prophet
FeelTheRads said:
Something I'm missing or some awesome bug? Neither Sand nor Zhjaeve can cast any extended, empowered or whatever spells, but the main character can. Is this limited to the main character? If so, then why the fuck do other characters have or can take them?
Post screenshots with:
- list of characters' profits,
- spell preparation menu.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Crispy said:
Feeltherads is now officially an idiot.

Oh, really, do tell me what I did wrong since the main character can use those feats, but others can't.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
FeelTheRads said:
Crispy said:
Feeltherads is now officially an idiot.

Oh, really, do tell me what I did wrong since the main character can use those feats, but others can't.

You didn't memorize the spells correctly. You didn't take any of those feats with those characters. You just don't understand D&D. Take your pick.

Also your comments about the camera are whack.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
You didn't memorize the spells correctly.

How do you memorize a spell "correctly"? I've shown in the first screenshot the spells I have memorized. I have some of those on the main character too and they can be empowered and what not.

You didn't take any of those feats with those characters.

Interesting because the options don't even appear in the quick cast menu if you don't have the feats.

Oh.. suddenly looks like you're the idiot.

Also your comments about the camera are whack.

I said I can't fix it to my liking. If you are OK with having a dragon fill up your entire view that's fine, I'm not.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Jim Cojones said:
Your character is a sorcerer, isn't he? Sand is a wizard and Zhjaeve is a cleric (this one I'm not sure). Now what's the difference between sorcerer and wizard class in D'n'D?

Umm... one has to choose what spells to memorize and the other has all of them memorized? One uses Intelligence the other Charisma?

What's that got to do with what I asked? The only requirement for Maximize Spell is to be able to cast 3rd level spells, for example.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Continue wandering around in your deluded state; if you can't figure it out you're clearly mentally deficient. Fucking reinstall the game. Clear out your override directory. Give up.

Just stop bitching about shit that isn't an issue.

nomask7

Arcane
puke-inducing infodump dialogues
A good observation. God do I hate unnatural bullshit dialogue! I don't care to remember why, but I happened to watch a bit of some new and popular U.S. TV show a while back, and god, my god, the writers of that show must have been aliens! They couldn't have written natural human dialogue to save their own fucking asses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom