Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So... Rage?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
fastpunk said:
Gragt said:
Dmitron said:
I'm sure the Doom 3 engine wasn't capable of large outdoor areas, but it doesn't appear to be much of a departure.

Quake Wars has some big outdoor areas.

That was only after a major revision of the engine. Carmack introduced this tech called Megatexture, which basically means the game used one very large texture for static terrain instead of using smaller, repeating textures. I'm not too tech savvy but this little trick helped them a lot with exteriors, not just in terms of dev time but also in terms of performance scaling, which was a problem in the original Doom 3 engine.

I'm not tech savvy myself but remember I read about the same thing, unless i mixed things up. I was indeed talking of the latest revision of the engine or the engine in a general sense, unless Dmitron meant the engine version used for the Doom 3 game. Can be read both ways. It's actually annoying when an engine uses the name of the game first using it though id software uses the "id Tech x" (Doom 3 engine and its variations being id Tech 4) to name his engines.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Doom 3's engine didn't "sell" because id only licensed it out to close partners, like Raven

Anyway game doesn't need a story full of twists and turns to be great. And here's to hoping it pays homage to Mad Max

J1M

Arcane
udm said:
Doom 3's engine didn't "sell" because id only licensed it out to close partners, like Raven because Source and Unreal were better.
Fixed.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Believe what you will then. Once again, opinions are awesome

J1M

Arcane
udm said:
Believe what you will then. Once again, opinions are awesome
Your opinion is that people offered to pay them for their engine and they said "no, we will only sell it to Raven"? That's pretty stupid.

udm

Arcane
Patron
J1M said:
Your opinion is that people offered to pay them for their engine and they said "no, we will only sell it to Raven"? That's pretty stupid.

No, that's a fact. Get yours right.

J1M

Arcane
udm said:
J1M said:

Post your proof and I'll admit I was wrong and call id stupid instead of you.

J1M

Arcane
OccupatedVoid said:
J1M said:
udm said:
Doom 3's engine didn't "sell" because id only licensed it out to close partners, like Raven because Source and Unreal were better.
Fixed.
:lol:
:D
Do you mod for Source? I've always found Unreal tech easier to get what I wanted out of it.

Derek Larp

Cipher
You know what´s funny? I liked doom 3 much better than halflife2. And you know why?
No, not that reason. You´re an idiot too by the way.

Athmosphere; Halflife 2 is clearly the superior games in terms of pacing, diversity and gameplay per se, but I never had any emotional connection to the gameworld. Though I have to admit I didn´t play it very far.
I mean I started out and that G-Man tells me some weird stuff while tripping out on acid or shrooms and suddenly I am in a dystopian future that reminded me very much of that 1984 movie with John Hurt (blue overalls, everything run down and gritty, big screens with the face of the great leader et cetera). Then a watchman from black mesa that if I remember right got killed by one of the alien grunts with those homing insect-launchers appears. Ok, he doesn´t have time to explain everything to me because suddenly some combine knock at the door. No, actually he does, because I waited in the room and the combine wouldn´t enter and the Watchman would repeat some generic phrases about me having to leave the room.
So I leave and some fights later I meet Dr. Kleiner, and I think 'well now they will explain what is going on', but no, just some random bullshit about tame headcrabs and the watchman overacting.
And this type of 'anti plot exposition' is driven to the level of absolute absurdity throughout the game (as far as I played it), where I have the feeling that:

- Everybody knows me
- Everybody knows what is going on
- Everybody assumes I know what is going on
- I am fucking mute and can´t ask them to tell me what is going on.

This was so fucking irritating I only played to somewhere after that boat ride.

Doom 3 on the other hand didn´t have any plot to speak of (And let´s be honest, for a corridor shooter you don´t need an elaborate plot). It´s just 'Experiment goes wrong in a research facility and demons from hell in hell invade' as opposed to 'Experiment goes wrong in a research facility and aliens invade, then other aliens take over the world, but the aliens you fought before are now your allies and you´re suddenly some kind of legendary saviour everybody knows but you have no fucking clue about what the fuck is going on'.
Also the art design in Doom 3 was top notch, it just felt made of one cast ("Aus einem Guss") like all games by id. Halflife 2 felt so generic (But then one could argue Doom 3 is generic sci-fi, so I think it´s a matter of taste).

See, I just wrote an id-fanboy rant to defend Doom 3 in a`'Halflife is better' discussion that wasn´t even there. Time for me to go to bed. Good night.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
I am used to editors like Radiant, and when I tried to use Hammer it was like OH GOD I AM NOT GOOD WITH COMPUTER.

Source still uses lighting technology from the days of Quake 3. Doom 3(engine, i modded Q4) has some real nice lighting and shadow effects which in turn lets your worlds have atmosphere.

Doom 3 can handle outdoor areas just fine. You have to light it manually, but it looks SO good. Source is just slap skybox on and let Q3-era lightmaps do alll the work. *yawn*

One thing I noticed about Doom 3 engine games, is that they have a higher polycount in their levels versus Half-Life 2. Most everything in Half-Life 2 is basic geometry with high-res textures.

udm

Arcane
Patron
J1M said:
udm said:
J1M said:

I don't really care that you do. If you really want to find out more, Google's your friend.

But I'll be nice and suggest using the keywords "id software rage license technology third party". It's not hard to find information yourself really.

This only marks one of the many articles that mentions id's licensing policies though. Over the years, there have been quite a number mentioning why id doesn't just sell its licenses to any random developer. There was even an article that I read some time ago that makes a note of how Valve managed to snag the Quake engine

As for modding, I've never worked with Source or Unreal. It's usually been tech 3 and 4 all the way, though it's mostly small-scale mods. I'm not a programmer; more of a modeller and mapper, and I thought that despite many complaints, tech 4 was easy to use, especially the map editor (though some complaints, like lighting being a bitch at times, are valid)

@David Larp: agreed. HL2's storyline got to the point where I was really annoyed with everything. The story didn't make sense. The physics puzzles felt contrived and like an afterthought. "Oh goody here's a ledge, but instead of climbing it, I'm going to stack bricks on this wooden see saw so I can run up". Some parts of the game are quite awesome, like the part where you get to manipulate the huge magnetic crane, but there's no connectivity with the player. At least, imho.

J1M

Arcane
udm said:
J1M said:
udm said:
J1M said:

I have no proof. I have no facts.

I'm assuming you are talking about this page, which was last updated sometime in 2001:
http://www.idsoftware.com/business/tech ... icense.php

The other engine holders have the same sort of restrictions, nobody is going to let you buy Source or Unreal to make "Jihad: 9/11 Tower Destroyer".

Was also nice of you to reveal that you don't know much about the competition and are just a fanboy, really wraps this argument up.

udm

Arcane
Patron
J1M said:
I'm assuming you are talking about this page, which was last updated sometime in 2001:

Says the one who can't be bothered (or too stupid) to do a proper search. Hint: it's not the page on id's website. Try harder. Maybe I'll be nice and give you a link if you ask properly

The other engine holders have the same sort of restrictions, nobody is going to let you buy Source or Unreal to make "Jihad: 9/11 Tower Destroyer".

Or rather, few, if not nobody, will pay for an expensive engine to build a game that is easily moddable on Warcraft 3

But anyway to provide a case-in-point and not start blindly accusing others of having "no proof" and "no facts"...

Was also nice of you to reveal that you don't know much about the competition and are just a fanboy, really wraps this argument up.

I admit I'm a fan of id (not a fanboy; I wasn't that high on Quake 4 - nice of you to make intelligent assumptions). But I think sadly, you're the one who doesn't know much, and just want to, you know, prove you're smarter than an anonymous person over the Internet

Maybe that's how some people get their bragging rights

J1M

Arcane
udm said:
J1M said:

Says the one who can't be bothered (or too stupid) to do a proper search. Hint: it's not the page on id's website. Try harder. Maybe I'll be nice and give you a link if you ask properly
If you actually had something you would have provided it a long time ago.

udm said:
J1M said:

Or rather, few, if not nobody, will pay for an expensive engine to build a game that is easily moddable on Warcraft 3

But anyway to provide a case-in-point and not start blindly accusing others of having "no proof" and "no facts"...
I have no idea why you linked to this. Robo-blitz was made with Unreal Engine 3. It is actually a fun game.

By all means, continue flailing, this is hilarious.

udm

Arcane
Patron
If you actually had something you would have provided it a long time ago.

Are you really that incompetent? It's right there on Google if you'd taken the hint. You don't even need to scroll down :roll:

I have no idea why you linked to this. Robo-blitz was made with Unreal Engine 3. It is actually a fun game.

Because you suggested that "nobody is going to let you buy Source or Unreal to make "Jihad: 9/11 Tower Destroyer".", which, by Jihad: 9/11 Tower Destroyer, I assume you mean cheap budget games?

You've a weird sense of humour. And weird assumptions too. By all means, carry on with the insults. I'm not the one who's still living in the well and thinking I know more than others

denizsi

Arcane
by Jihad: 9/11 Tower Destroyer, I assume you mean cheap budget games?

I think he meant games that revel on "anti-western" themes, like playing a middle-eastern or south-American agent to protect and kill (usually westerners) in the name of your nation, the kind of which is officially regarded as terrorism by the western world. It's just a coincidence that such games also happen to be shitty low budget games.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Thanks for clearing that up. I thought he was referring to something along the lines of Tower Defense games

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Raven is one of the absolute worst shooter developers ever. Their games are depressingly boring. Start from the beginning.

Heretic? Hexen? Both absolute garbage.

And the Jedi Knight games? God, they are tedious. First, there's the extremely monotonous level design. Then, there's the lightsaber combat which is nothing more than a bunch of repetitive button-mashing combos.

Kraszu

Prophet
Really? I was wining light lightsaber fights by positioning myself correctly. I didn't do any button-mashing combos.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Jedi Outcast was fantastic. I really liked it, and I thought they did a good job in making a sequel to Jedi Knight

Jedi Academy was trash

Quake 4 was awesome in the beginning, then faltered along the way. Also, Raven shot themselves in the foot by showing the whole stroggification process - I mean what's the idea of spoiling a major part of the storyline before the game's even released?

Soldier of Fortune 1 wasn't bad. SOF2 was pretty good too, though not as good as SOF1

I think Raven is mediocre. It's almost like they've run out of ideas these days

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom