Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A funny thing about the latest expansion is that the campaign remains fairly easy, until the last segment that is. Suddenly you have a long pass of some solid combat without any possibility to rest, except for short rests I guess. It's a shame they didn't fill the game with encounters like this instead since they apparently know how to cook up challenging encounters.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Bros, I know nothing about 5E, so prepare to be spammed with stupid questions in the future.

First question, should I go for the default difficulty regardless, or is the one below that still acceptable? I guess I`m gonna play it safe with F/T/C/W

Skorpion

Educated
Bros, I know nothing about 5E, so prepare to be spammed with stupid questions in the future.

First question, should I go for the default difficulty regardless, or is the one below that still acceptable? I guess I`m gonna play it safe with F/T/C/W
default difficulty and stat point assignment (not rolling) is fairly straightforward, you should be good with that as I found it pretty easy to understand without knowing 5e myself either

Mortmal

Arcane

Go for authentic mode , nothing risky really there , the only time you may find it difficult is if you have not stocked a lot of potions for the very final fight. If only the whole campaign was designed like the final POI fight...

J1M

Arcane

Main recommendation I have for you is to start with the Lost Valley campaign instead of the original one.

It's less linear.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
To me it looks very simple, "once per turn damage" should be only applied once between two turns of the character, regarless is he hits with multiple attacks, readied action or reactions.

Jesus Christ this was almost 10 years ago I want to die

Okay, I stand corrected then.
But no wonders with the rulemakers like that D&D's gone to shit.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
As of ways of forcing advantage, I think the only ones to work are:
- another character or rogue standing already next to caster
- faerie fire(rogue cant cast it)
- entangle(again, i dont know of ways for rogue alone to get it)
there is new ointment poison like type that gives you advantage on attacks, i think it would work with spells

anyway, i have grave news. Thief subclass, once finally reaches umd... cant use scrolls!
im still processing my disappointment, spent whole new campaign up to this point crafting fireballs.

now for good things. Since I took my lost valley save, Ive gotten access to some magical items vomit(although i should have bought warlock and bard items too).
There are 3 items that perform very well.
- horn of blasting -> 5d6, 10 uses of sound cone, requires tuning
- pipes of haunting -> 3 uses of fear cone, possibly bugged, can use it pre lvl13 since its not bard tagged and does not require tuning. My party got paladin so i dont care about friendly fire. Jump next to enemies and they will run forcing reaction attacks. Use ointment mentioned above and you force 'extra' sneak attack(although I didnt actually test yet that it works)
- wand of lightning bolts -> 8d6, 7 uses, can recharge fully within 1 day, requires tuning.

So yeah, thief can add quite a bit of extra damage on top of standard sneak attack.

looking up there is respite flute that would provide some nice heals and extra hp

GloomFrost

Arcane
Just lost hours of playtime due to a bug. Return to Telema quest. Got locked inside a room without any way out. Steam thread shows that I wasn't by far the only one. Be careful people, save often.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Just lost hours of playtime due to a bug. Return to Telema quest. Got locked inside a room without any way out. Steam thread shows that I wasn't by far the only one. Be careful people, save often.
From what I’ve read it comes from a minor gate leading to the ruins that shouldn’t be allowing it. Gotta travel there by land first. I’m guessing that came with the latest hotfix.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

Main recommendation I have for you is to start with the Lost Valley campaign instead of the original one.

It's less linear.
Lost Valley achieves a degree of non-linearity by having a number of tiny zones containing nothing more than a combat encounter or two. It exacerbates problems already existing in the original campaign, which at least offers a Dragonlance pastiche. :M

J1M

Arcane
As of ways of forcing advantage, I think the only ones to work are:
- another character or rogue standing already next to caster
- faerie fire(rogue cant cast it)
- entangle(again, i dont know of ways for rogue alone to get it)
there is new ointment poison like type that gives you advantage on attacks, i think it would work with spells

anyway, i have grave news. Thief subclass, once finally reaches umd... cant use scrolls!
im still processing my disappointment, spent whole new campaign up to this point crafting fireballs.

now for good things. Since I took my lost valley save, Ive gotten access to some magical items vomit(although i should have bought warlock and bard items too).
There are 3 items that perform very well.
- horn of blasting -> 5d6, 10 uses of sound cone, requires tuning
- pipes of haunting -> 3 uses of fear cone, possibly bugged, can use it pre lvl13 since its not bard tagged and does not require tuning. My party got paladin so i dont care about friendly fire. Jump next to enemies and they will run forcing reaction attacks. Use ointment mentioned above and you force 'extra' sneak attack(although I didnt actually test yet that it works)
- wand of lightning bolts -> 8d6, 7 uses, can recharge fully within 1 day, requires tuning.

So yeah, thief can add quite a bit of extra damage on top of standard sneak attack.

looking up there is respite flute that would provide some nice heals and extra hp
The spellblade fighter specialization that grants spellcasting can cast any wizard scroll. Costs an action though.

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
1vBzCnc_zps8ed941e4.gif

Honestly not that bad.

Parabalus

Arcane
Shouldn't versatile weapons benefit from 2h feats?

Very happy with warlock so far, only party member I liked enough to keep while importing.

Parabalus

Arcane
Are the tomes you get random?

Found two +2 INT tomes right next to each other, Northren Clans quest.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

dunno, used to be the case that everything is random apart from vendor stock. Getting primed eq was a pain.

so... my snow dwarf is getting chilled/frozen in weather. Is this a bug or am i not understanding class description?

Artyoan

Arbiter

dunno, used to be the case that everything is random apart from vendor stock. Getting primed eq was a pain.

so... my snow dwarf is getting chilled/frozen in weather. Is this a bug or am i not understanding class description?
My understanding is that the snow dwarf can't get the full frozen debuff, but gets chilled if he would have normally been frozen.

I also didn't get any books as drops during my entire campaign. Had to purchase.

Mortmal

Arcane

The tundra tigers are chilled/frozen too , poor little kittens.. Just another bug as usual.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
more bugs. if you ever come across fight between blue and red giants, if during this fight anyone sneaking gets exposed, all your alies will turn hostile. Dont sneak there

My understanding is that the snow dwarf can't get the full frozen debuff, but gets chilled if he would have normally been frozen.
attuned ice ring appears to work though, while my snow dwarf always got same statuses as rest of my party members.
Or let me say that ring/boots kind of work. On occasion you would enter map frozen but getting into any fire source clears it.

Artyoan

Arbiter
more bugs. if you ever come across fight between blue and red giants, if during this fight anyone sneaking gets exposed, all your alies will turn hostile. Dont sneak there

attuned ice ring appears to work though, while my snow dwarf always got same statuses as rest of my party members.
Or let me say that ring/boots kind of work. On occasion you would enter map frozen but getting into any fire source clears it.
I’ve heard someone mention that Snow Dwarves made prior to the DLC patch don’t have the chill/frozen resistance. But those made after it do have that quality.

Parabalus

Arcane

Does this book allow you to breach the cap of 20 in an attribute?
Yes, the stat-up books increase both the stat and the stat cap. No idea if they work more than once per character if you find multiples, though.
You can breach 20, and the books stack. There is gear which gives +2, with no maximum.

I think 30 is the max, it's looks very attainable.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
man you lvlup quickly in solasta. Cant say I experienced any good fights. Well spectral boss dragon was decent.

If anything random encounters are better, like 2 feral red dragons and 2 archmages. Too bad that archmage was casting cone of cold obliterating said dragons

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom