Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Such is the mind of a magefag.

If i an playing a high magical fantasy game, i wanna use cool magical stuff like stop time, conjure dragons, etc. If i an playing a sci-fi game, i wanna use power armor and other "high tech" stuff like FNV power armor or IRL cool stuff like anti materiel rifles with explosive ammo. Is very rare for me too like play on melee. M&B is one of the few games that i like to play on melee and i love to charge with my horse and a polearm. Other thing that i love about M&B is that armor is more realistic, so swords are extremely ineffective VS plate armor and blunt weapons much more effective. That said, on unmodded ToEE, the strongest thing that a vanilla sorcerer can have is cone of cold or empowered fireball. Not exactly the best spells to fight demigods nor demon lords...

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If i an playing a high magical fantasy game, i wanna use cool magical stuff like stop time, conjure dragons, etc. If i an playing an sci-fi game, i wanna use power armor and other "high tech" stuff like FNV power armor or IRL cool stuff like anti materiel rifles with explosive Is very rare for me too like play on melee. M&B is one of the few games that i like to play on melee and i love to charge with my horse and an polearm
As you will.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Everyone should be forced to play as an human fighter specialized on sword fighting. If you wanna use an in depth gunsmith in a post apocalypse game or magic in a fantasy rpg, you are a fucking casual! Solo ToEE as a sorcerer, solo M&M VIII as a Necromancer/Lich or play FNV in hardcore is "press A for awesome mindset" because you are not at melee with the weapon that i like.

No...

--------------------------------------------------------------

edit : About the Sorcerer free DLC. Hpw cool. An popular class failed to receive enouth money to be funded and despite it they will develop the class and release for freee. I was expecting payed DLC.... If was an AAA game, sorcerer will come in a 0,0001% chance of winning lootbox. And every sorcerer will be a clone.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Lvl 10 cap can be OK if the XP gain is slow. But I would prefer more levels. This all makes the game seem small just as I was afraid.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
10 levels should be enough for like 50-60 hours for sure, especially since the game is turn-based.
There is no real need for more

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
When is the Barbarian dlc coming out?
  • Y'know, at some point we were thinking about whether to go Barbarian or Sorcerer for the stretch goal... but considering we added mostly martial classes, we thought Sorcerer would be more appreciated (and they were more popular than barbarians in our polls). That being said, it's clearly one of the classes that would be easier to implement, so Barbarian DLC is definitively not out of the picture.

Will game have different difficulty levels?

How long you plan to do it to finish (with full subquests and explorations)?

And its mostly about exploring dungeons? Or have outdoor areas exploration?

Do you plan mage-user enemies? I saw orcs and spiders.
  • There will be difficulty levels.
  • That's very hard to gauge before actually having the final game in hands. It's definitively not going to be those 100h+ main campaign game à la Pathfinder Kingmaker - we want something meaty, but also without too much filler and within the scope of our budget. It's probably something we'll be able to talk about in more detail later down the line.
  • There will be outdoor areas, but let's be transparent here it's going to be a lot of dungeon-delving (though not without story / reasons / quests, the game is a Tactical RPG not a pure Dungeon Crawler).
  • Well yes, Orcs & Spiders were just the only mobs we had the time to implement for the Demo :p
How dedicated are you to using verticality and lighting to setup tricky and challenging combat encounters? Is this one of your core goals? Is it common in the game?

How long will the game be? Can we expect the length of a traditional old-school RPG instead of something like 15 hours?
  • It's definitively two of our Key Pillars, Lighting and Verticality. For those who worry, we're very aware of the Camera & QoL issues during the Demo which messed up a lot of the fun with verticality, so that's a priority for us.
  • As said above, hard to determine - but longer than 15h, that's for sure (unless you're speedrunning it, I've learnt never to underestimate speedrunners).
Unfortunately looks like the level cap is 10
  • That's the case for the main campaign, it might increase with expansions or DLCs. But I don't want to promise too much here, we want to focus on our main game first before looking at expansions or DLCs. And yea, if / when we add modding I'm sure people will find a way to break everything :p (in both good and bad ways)

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Lvl 10 cap can be OK if the XP gain is slow. But I would prefer more levels. This all makes the game seem small just as I was afraid.

Depends also the enemies that you fight and number of party members. Talking about ToEE for eg, you can have a huge 8 party(5 PC + 3 hirelings) if i remember correctly(not sure), i completed the game 3 times, one with 6 party members(4 PCs + 2 hirelings, the high level wizard hireling and a guy that i found in temple and will not spoil), one with an small party(sorc/paladin/cleric) and one soloed(sorc) with Co8.

High level gameplay is not just "add numbers", you need to design encounters to accommodate an much stronger PC. When i soloed ToEE with Co8, i had a awful time on the first levels, but quickly reached an godlike power(lv 15+) and the last part of the game was a cakewalk, i defeated Zuggtmoy in my first try. With 6 pary members, i had to save scum a lot to defeat her... The power creep is smaller on 5e, but still exist. I mention ToEE a lot, but playing Solasta demo remembered me a lot of ToEE. The game is top grade turn based RPG. Something that i don't see often.

• Y'know, at some point we were thinking about whether to go Barbarian or Sorcerer for the stretch goal... but considering we added mostly martial classes, we thought Sorcerer would be more appreciated (and they were more popular than barbarians in our polls). That being said, it's clearly one of the classes that would be easier to implement, so Barbarian DLC is definitively not out of the picture.

Any chance of seeing Dragonborn? Or an more exotic race like "dhampir"?

I an happy that sorcerer will be in the game in a future DLC, mainly due the fact that wizards on 5e can't use metamagic and sorcerers have ways to boost his spell damage. As anyone can see by my nick, Sorcerer is my favorite class. Other class that i will love to see is Druid but honestly. Is too hard to implement shapeshifting, giving 2 or 3 combat only alternative forms is not that hard. But implement 1% of what they can do in pnp with shapeshift is near impossible.

Last edited:

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
  • As said above, hard to determine - but longer than 15h, that's for sure (unless you're speedrunning it, I've learnt never to underestimate speedrunners).

Long good game is always good. I would prefer like 50+ hours, at least. With ability to replay. What is replayability planned? Different choices and decisions?

Also ending is decided at end or in beggining or middle? giving incentive to replay game and not load last save to see all endings.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Long good game is always good. I would prefer like 50+ hours, at least. With ability to replay. What is replayability planned? Different choices and decisions?

The best incentive to replay is to try different characters/party compositions.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister/posts/2645250

What's next - Pledge Manager & Schedule Info

Now that the excitement of the Kickstarter Campaign is over, it's time to... Eh, who am I kidding, we're still as excited as we were on Friday - again, thank you to each and everyone of you. But a lot of you now are wondering what's going to happen next, and here we are to answer!

Kickstarter Rewards & Pledge Manager
In early November 2019 you will be receiving a survey link by mail from CrowdOx (our Pledge Manager) to finalize your Kickstarter rewards. This is where you will:
  • Review your Pledge Level and Rewards
  • [Optional] Increase your Pledge Level (limited in time)
  • [Optional] Purchase Physical Add-Ons (limited in time)
  • Add your Country / Address if you have Physical Goods in your Rewards
  • Pay for Shipping Fees if you have Physical Goods in your Rewards
Keep your Survey Link somewhere, as you will be able to update your address or review all your information as long as you have it. In case you lose it, click here (only works after receiving the first mail from CrowdOx, so not before November). Not to worry though, we'll write a Kickstarter Update after the survey mails have been sent, so you'll be informed!

Physical Add-Ons
Physical Add-Ons will be available for a limited amount of time even if you are not a Kickstarter Backer. The reason is fairly simple - we're only doing a single batch for these Physical Items, there won't be more in the future! The Physical Add-Ons are:
  • Solasta Campaign Rulebook (Hardcover) - Kickstarter Edition: 41€ / $45 approx.
  • Solasta Campaign Rulebook (Hardcover) - Standard Edition: 32€ / $35 approx.
  • Solasta Adventure Box: 27€ / $30 approx.
  • Solasta Original Soundtrack Vinyl: 27€ / $30 approx.
These will be available starting from November 2019: CrowdOx Store

Payment Issues
We're seeing some comments about people having Payment Issues. Unfortunately, this is between Kickstarter and your Bank - we have no visibility or control over that.

That being said, do not worry! Once Kickstarter transfers the funds to us, we will contact everyone whose payment has failed to help them with it. It usually takes around 14 days, so it would probably be around end of October.

Late Pledge?
A few latecomers have been asking if we were going to do a Late Pledge campaign with Paypal. While we're very happy to see that we still have people arriving on a daily basis, we are sorry to announce that we will not be doing a Late Pledge campaign. Every campaign needs a beginning and an end, and we decided that Kickstarter would determine those dates.

How to Contact Us?
In case you have issues or questions, know that it's very easy to reach us! Whether it is by private message on Kickstarter, a thread on our Forum, an @ on Discord, a message on Facebook or even on Twitter, we'll usually see it fairly quickly!

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
giphy.gif

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So apparently DU has sobered up and now we're doing a fundraiser: https://rpgcodex.net/campaigns.php?id=25

It'll be a modest thing I guess. We're going for:

$250 - Name an NPC
$300 - Write a Scroll
$500 - Name a Landmark
$750 - NPC Face Creation
$1000 - Co-Design a Magic Item

The first two tiers have technically run out, but Tactical Adventures have agreed to grant us the in-game reward anyway.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
They're good despite being high level campaigns, not because of it.

HotU can't work for a low/imid level char. Unless you put an extremely gimmicky way to deal with dracoliches and hell monarchs like mephistopheles, make beholders, mindflayers and other creatures far weaker, etc. The major problem of high level D&D is that is hard to challenge the player. Mainly for arcane/divine classes. Arcane casters can teleport to an "demiplane" and evade 99,9% of dangerous things, can undo missfortunes using wish spell, stop time and it not considering epic spells and items... Even death become less meaningful, since a lot of things can raise dead companions and wish can even rebuild an body if an beholder disintegrated the body. If the DM is creative enough to challenge the player, and you don't have an huge group, it can work. Other problem of high level D&D is the amount of math but a spreedsheet and a notebook can solve this problem.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
by that logic Dragon Age Inquisition and Skyrim are good games.

Skyrim can be heavily modded into something much better. I had 57 mods, not only that adds more content but also who makes Dragons into true legendary creatures(deadly dragons), sun damage to vampires, increase the number of enemies, bring attributes back, etc. But due the decline, some things are still awful, become an Archmage in Morrowind Mages guild took a lot of questing and building my character around it. You can become archmage on Skyrim casting an single spell in entire game. Can kill the emperor and nobody gives a crap. Can be an khajit and join in Nords; Nothing that you do matters nor have consequences on Skyrim. No mod can fix this huge flaw.

Mount & Blade is much more sandbox than skyrim and everything that you do matters. I won a siege battle and it ended being awful for me and my king. Since i took too many loses and was far away from my cities to recruit soldiers and had no time to move to recruit, train and station soldiers into the new city. I ended losing an expensive army and they re captured the same city few days later. M&B punishes you for not thinking in long therm and i love it. If you enjoy magic, there are mods who adds fantasy elements into the game and it adds to you and yo your enemy, but it drastically changes how things works. Undeads for eg in Phantasy calradia requires no food and you can reanimate enemies. The game become too easy for a logistic point of view if you become a necromancer.

McPlusle

Savant
I just now found out this exists from someone calling it the possible heir apparent to ToEE. Is that true or is there no hope?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom