Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I, uh, what? What use does Paladin have for wisdom?

The Wisdom saving throw is one of the three important saves (DEX WIS CON). The CHA save is shit.
But it is a bit hyperbolic, since Paladins get more prepared spell slots from CHA. That is worth a bit, although not terribly much, since Smite is always there as their strongest spell slot outlet.
Unless you plan to spend most of your time playing from level 1 to level 5, what's the point of increasing your WIS score at the expense of your CHA score? Aura of Protection sums CHA to all your (and your companions') saves.

Yeah I kinda forgot that Aura of Protection scales of CHA and is pretty damn good. I thought it went off proficiency bonus. As soon as you take 6 or more Paladin levels a high CHA modificator becomes really good for them, because that ability is bonkers.
Still 1-5 a high WIS modificator arguably brings more to the table than CHA for combat. But CHA is usually the strongest noncombat ability score, so everyone has it high in paper.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah I kinda forgot that Aura of Protection scales of CHA and is pretty damn good. I thought it went off proficiency bonus. As soon as you take 6 or more Paladin levels a high CHA modificator becomes really good for them, because that ability is bonkers.
Still 1-5 a high WIS modificator arguably brings more to the table than CHA for combat. But CHA is usually the strongest noncombat ability score, so everyone has it high in paper.
Aura of Protection and Aura of Warding are two of my favorite class features in the entire game, they are two absolute game-changers. But yeah, you can easily dump your CHA if you don't plan to reach level 6, unless you're playing a very caster-oriented Paladin with stuff like the Blessed Warrior fighting style that gives you two cantrips. But if you aren't getting to level 6, then you're probably multiclassing, and if you're multiclassing with a Paladin you're probably becoming a Warlock, so CHA is once again one of your main stats. It's incredible how synergic the two classes are, especially the Oath of Conquest/The Undead patron combination.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
probably becoming a Warlock, so CHA is once again one of your main stats. It's incredible how synergic the two classes are, especially the Oath of Conquest/The Undead patron combination.

Sorc is even meaner. You can quicken one of the Sword Coast Adventurers guide melee cantrips like Green Flame Blade on your bonus action. Those are melee attacks for the purpose of Divine Smite and Improved Divine Smite.
God I want multiclassing... There are so many stupidly strong combos I could never bring to the table, even if I wasn't the eternal DM, because they would steal all the spotlight.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Got this last night. Seems pretty good so far.
Is it out yet? No patch queued up for me.
If its not out, you may be playing the beta version, and I don't know if it will allow you to continue your save when it releases in 5 minutes.

I figured. I didn't roll new characters, I just jumped in with the pre-generated ones because I was planning on starting over anyway.

Yosharian

Arcane
Pal and Rogue both using some CHR.

Only on paper tho. Paladin wants his spell slots for buffs, healing and smites. None of which scale off the spell attack bonus/saving throw. Usually you put CHA to 13 (minimum for multiclassing) or as low as you want on a Paladin, unless you want to be the party face and do all the talking. WIS is a stronger stat for a Pala than CHA. I guess if you use the fancy new Paladin who gets Fireball and other offensive spells, then CHA is good on a Pala.
Vanilla Rogues get nothing from CHA, I gotta look if Solasta changed that.
Sorcerers, Bards and Warlocks get massive advantages from starting the game with 16 DEX 16 CHA 16 CON 10 WIS 8 CHA 8 STR, and with all the other goodies a half elf gets it is close to being the optimal build for them.
Base Paladin:
Aura of Protection
Starting at 6th level, whenever you or a friendly creature within 10 feet of you must make a saving throw, the creature gains a bonus to the saving throw equal to your Charisma modifier (with a minimum bonus of +1). You must be conscious to grant this bonus.

At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

Oath of Ancients: (probably not in Solasta)
Aura of Warding
Beginning at 7th level, ancient magic lies so heavily upon you that it forms an eldritch ward. You and friendly creatures within 10 feet of you have resistance to damage from spells.

At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom