Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Harthwain

Magister
Half Orcs aren't intelligent. Half elves are. What can Half-Orcs do that can't be done by humans OR orcs?

----

Orcs and half orcs should be enslaved, or better. Killed and reanimated as undead slaves, so we don't need to waste food and water with then.
They hit harder? You really do sound retarded there, by the way.

Edit:

Also, there are no playable Orcs, so WTF are you talking about?

Last edited:
New review from Wccftech:

https://wccftech.com/review/solasta-crown-of-the-magister-tactics-dragons/

Solasta: Crown of the Magister Review – Tactics & Dragons

Role-playing games have been a thing for a very long time, way before gaming systems had the power to run a decent digital adaptation of any of them, but it's only been in relatively recent times that developers managed to create proper Dungeons & Dragons inspired video gaming experiences. Following the release of the original Baldur's Gate, many developers tried to create the perfect adaptation of the iconic tabletop role-playing game with varying degrees of success. Yet not many of these games manage to be as faithful to the Dungeons & Dragons ruleset as Solasta: Crown of the Magister, whose faithfulness is both its strongest aspect and biggest flaw.

Developer Tactical Adventures never tried to hide their intention of creating an almost perfect adaptation of the D&D 5e ruleset, and it shows right from the very beginning of the game. From character creation to mechanics, playing Solasta: Crown of the Magister is the closest you will get to play D&D without real people.

The game starts like any real D&D campaign would: in a tavern, where four different adventurers meet for the first time, attracted by the prospect of riches and glory or just for the excitement that comes from a new adventure. After a relatively short intro section, where players are taught the very basics of movement and combat, the real adventure starts, as the party sets out from the town of Caer Cyflen to investigate some mysterious happenings that may endanger the town, not knowing they will have to deal with all sorts of hellish creatures in their 40 plus hours long quest.

Right from the start, it's clear how Solasta: Crown of the Magister's story is not the game's best feature. The plot is rather predictable, and it really doesn't stray too far from fantasy tropes, featuring the usual assortment of characters and creatures we have seen in countless other RPGs. It's a shame that the story plays it so safe, as some of the lore behind the world of Solasta is quite interesting, as it actually reverses a trope we have experienced in The Witcher saga and a few other franchises: in Solasta, it's the humans that have invaded the world following a magical cataclysm, and not the other way around. Too bad this isn't further explored in any meaningful way during the course of the adventure.

This isn't to say that Solasta: Crown of the Magister doesn't try to do something new. Unlike most other cRPGs out there, the player can create their party of four adventurers from scratch before beginning the adventure or pick between a few pre-made characters. All party members are essentially the main character, as they get equal saying in the dialogue system, and they always take an active part in the story.

Character creation is definitely one of the game's standout features. While the visual customization options are somewhat limited, and most do not look great at all, the mechanical customization is incredibly deep. Together with picking the characters' races and classes, which are a pretty much 1:1 rendition of the D&D 5e races and classes, players can also pick the characters' moral alignments and traits based on these alignments, which influence the dialogue options that become available at certain points. It's not a massive game-changer, to be honest, but it does add a little bit of replay value, as it lets players experiment even outside of combat.

Solasta: Crown of the Magister's combat system is definitely the game's highlight and can potentially give a run for their money to many popular RPGs based powered by the D&D ruleset. Unlike most other RPGs out there, which employ a classic real-time combat system, Solasta: Crown of the Magister uses a turn-based, tactical combat system where players and AI enemies take turns moving around the battlefield, use weapons and items, unleash spells, and take advantage of the environment. While this combat system doesn't do anything differently from other similar systems, the almost perfect adaptation of the D&D classes and their combat capabilities, and the great map design, with tons of verticality, make Solasta: Crown of the Magister an incredibly fun game to play.

Things, however, may take some time to get going. Due to its faithful adaptation of the D&D 5e ruleset, it can be quite hard for newbies to understand everything with the in-game tutorials shown every time some new mechanic is encountered for the first time. The game does feature a digital rule book that provides a thorough yet easy to understand explanation of pretty much every mechanics, but if you have never played D&D before, you will feel overwhelmed at the beginning, being unfamiliar with the countless magic spells and special powers of each class. Thankfully, Solasta: Crown of the Magister features a very good difficulty system that lets the player tweak a lot of different elements, like removing critical hits and so on, so that even D&D newbies can learn the mechanics at their own pace without getting obliterated every single fight.

While the party system would have lent itself to a great multiplayer experience, Solasta: Crown of the Magister doesn't feature any co-op. However, it does feature a way for players to share their own experiences in the game via the Dungeon Maker. This in-game tool is a potent yet simple to use map creator that lets players come up with their own dungeons. Some of the creations made in the Early Access period are incredibly interesting, so it will be nice to see what players will be able to come up with the 1.0 release.

Having been developed by a small team, Solasta: Crown of the Magister doesn't feature a big-budget presentation. The character models look extremely simple, and so do most of the locations, which do not stray too far from the usual fantasy selection of abandoned forts, caves, dungeons, volcanoes, etc. As a side-effect, this means that most players with a relatively recent machine will not have troubles running the game decently at fairly high settings. The PC used for the test, powered by an i7-10700 CPU, RTX 3070 GPU, and 16GB RAM had obviously no trouble running the game at 4K resolution, 60 FPS with all maxed settings. One thing to note is that the game loads very slowly on mechanical hard drives, so installing the game onto an SSD is very recommended.

The strict adherence to the D&D 5e ruleset is both Solasta: Crown of the Magister's greatest asset and greatest flaw. While D&D fanatics will love every second of the game, despite some issues here and there, mostly caused by the vertical design of most combat maps that seems to force certain ranged attacks, magic-focused playstyle, those who are not into the tabletop RPG will find the game somewhat stiff, trapped in this ruleset that has been so faithfully adapted. Solasta: Crown of the Magister is as solid as any cRPG can get, possibly even more than most, but it's definitely not a game for everyone.

Review code provided by the publisher.

With its extremely faithful rendition of the Dungeons & Dragons 5e ruleset, Solasta: Crown of the Magister is a dream come true for all those D&D fans who also happen to love video games. However, strict adherence to this ruleset is also the game's main flaw, as it results in an overwhelming experience for all those who do not live and breathe Dungeons & Dragons. Those who power through the initial difficulties, though, will find a solid cRPG featuring great tactical combat and amazing depth.

Pros
  • Extremely faithful adaptation of the Dungeons & Dragons 5e ruleset
  • Interesting character creation options
  • Solid tactical combat system
  • Excellent map design
  • Deep Dungeon Maker
Cons
  • Uninspired story and characters, despite some interesting lore
  • Vertical map design seems to favor certain party compositions and fighting styles
  • Due to the strict adherence to the D&D 5e ruleset, the game can feel very overwhelming for newbies

"Solasta: Crown of the Magister is as solid as any cRPG can get, possibly even more than most, but it's definitely not a game for everyone."

what the tard took away points for, most people who enjoy AD&D would see as a bonus-- fairly complicated rules adaption. People like him whining are why we get decline shit.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
SOLASTA Crown of the MAaister news reason for lv cap said:
There are quite a few reasons for that, as each additional level would require:
  • Development time to implement the new features, as well as animations, visual effects and sound effects for each class.
  • Time and money to design, create and implement new and higher CR monsters (who also need their own animations and effects), otherwise you would just demolish any encounter at higher level.
  • Time and money to increase the length of the campaign, meaning more work for the narrative and level design teams, as well as more recordings required.
So we always knew and said that level 10 would be the limit, given the scope of Solasta: Crown of the Magister. Which doesn't necessarily mean that the level cap will forever stay at level 10 post-launch!

source : https://steamcommunity.com/games/1096530/announcements/detail/4709052254068756782

Amazing. Solasta has a lv cap = 10, not due balance cultism but due resources. Pure incline. Balance cultism is the worst plague of CRPG's. I would prefer new classes over higher lv cap. Mainly considering that we already have two games which allow high level gameplay this year and BG3 will be awful and only launch on one or two years.

del.png

Game journos thinks that 5E is "overwhelming"... And I asked why GURPS has no CRPG adaptation some time ago.

Solasta: Crown of the Magister review – DnD with a dash of XCOM
The reviewer betrays himself as never having played or read the rules of 5E from the title. Impressive speed. It usually takes a few sentences in the review itself.

Also -
Character moments and conversations remind me of Dungeons and Dragons

???
reading the review, the guy seems to literally not be aware that the game is a Dungeons and Dragons game, and not just LIKE a dungeons and dragons game..how do these people manage to have jobs and get paid to review games?

Old old news, but how the fuck did half-elf beat out half-orc as the last race? 5 races and now 3 of them are just amounts of elfiness.
well half-elf is a long time staple of AD&D, much more than having half-orc player characters, so I understand picking them over half-orcs. That being said I almost never play a pure elf, too gay. I will sometimes make a half-elf character.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Also, there are no playable Orcs, so WTF are you talking about?
Just a typical caster. They can't cast fireball without getting sufficiently assblasted.

Nah, fireball is not that great. Reincarnation is. A caster can transform you into a elf with it, or greater polymorth. Just imagine having the mindset of a male barbarian in the body of a female elf. Evocation is only for pyromaniacs. Alteration, Conjuration and Necromancy are awesome magical classes which 5e destroyed by nerfs.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Old old news, but how the fuck did half-elf beat out half-orc as the last race? 5 races and now 3 of them are just amounts of elfiness.
Half orcs are rapebabies and that hits too close to home for 5E lovers.
well half-elf is a long time staple of AD&D, much more than having half-orc player characters, so I understand picking them over half-orcs. That being said I almost never play a pure elf, too gay. I will sometimes make a half-elf character.
Both half-elves and half-orcs were introduced as playable races in the first edition of AD&D, along with gnomes, but the second edition of AD&D removed half-orcs while keeping the other five demi-human races. The "unfortunate implications" behind the existence of half-orcs might already have been uncomfortable for TSR by 1989, and the plausibility of half-orcs might have been deemed too dependent on the particular setting rather than fitting into a more generic fantasy conception. :M

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Solasta: Crown of the Magister review – DnD with a dash of XCOM
The reviewer betrays himself as never having played or read the rules of 5E from the title. Impressive speed. It usually takes a few sentences in the review itself.

Also -
Character moments and conversations remind me of Dungeons and Dragons

???
reading the review, the guy seems to literally not be aware that the game is a Dungeons and Dragons game, and not just LIKE a dungeons and dragons game..how do these people manage to have jobs and get paid to review games?
Reminder people generally make review for the general populace not specific rpg audience so explaining to them that this game is ruleset heavy is legit way to review. He said "can be too challenging to newbies" it's th truth tbh

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Other than that... it depends on sales, I guess.
I have done my part. I bought the game just now.
Same. I might start this first i heard it's shorter. Likely a 30 hours ish campaign? Troubleshooter is 80+ hours and there are still story content being added.
I'm gonna wait till the troubleshooter boys move on to their next project so I can play troubleshooter in peace.

Every time I consider possibly actually starting Troubleshooter, they completed another update, so I figure I may as well wait.

Half orcs are rapebabies and that hits too close to home for 5E lovers.
Both half-elves and half-orcs were introduced as playable races in the first edition of AD&D, along with gnomes, but the second edition of AD&D removed half-orcs while keeping the other five demi-human races. The "unfortunate implications" behind the existence of half-orcs might already have been uncomfortable for TSR by 1989, and the plausibility of half-orcs might have been deemed too dependent on the particular setting rather than fitting into a more generic fantasy conception. :M
you are right. I had totally forgotten. I started playing AD&D in 1981 and this was the book I used to make characters of course and I totally did not remember them being there. But after looking in the book, and seeing the tables and charts I do recall them now. 1st edition is still my favorite. would be awesome to see a game be made in 1st edition, of course this will never happen outside of some rougelike or something.

https://idiscepolidellamanticora.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/tsr2010-players-handbook.pdf

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Discord: some retard just banned me for posting Dark Sun lore in general (not game) discussion.

Guess, they hate Dark Sun setting for some reason.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Half Orcs aren't intelligent. Half elves are. What can Half-Orcs do that can't be done by humans OR orcs?
Half orkz are stronger than humans and can be shock troopers in human society and smarter than orkz, so can lead the tribe. They have their unique niche in both. What half elf brings to the table compared to pure human or elf?

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Half orkz are stronger than humans and can be shock troopers in human society and smarter than orkz, so can lead the tribe. They have their unique niche in both. What half elf brings to the table compared to pure human or elf?

They are one of the strongest races in the game for CHA dependant classes like the Warlock and the Sorcerer...
OF WHICH THERE ARE NONE IN THE GAME YET. :argh:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom