Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

purpleblob

Savant
I for one would like party banter - I thought it should be included in the base game though rather than a stretch goal. Definitely would like to see more races and classes - it doesn't even have the usuals like half-elf yet. I have a feeling though next additional class will be ranger. I'd rather they add bard, meh.

So I take it all of you guys adored Sword Coast Legends? You know, the one that promised us 5E rules but gave us MMO garbage....and lots of NPC banter and emphasized plot?

We're still talking about ToEE. Mods are still being maintained. How has Sword Coast Legends fared? This team looks like they have a legitimate chance of giving us faithfully adapted 5E D&D. You want to distract this opportunity with bullshit NPC dialogue? I enjoy a great story, but that's obvious not this game's strength. This isn't the moment you should be choosing to storyfag.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I take it all of you guys adored Sword Coast Legends? You know, the one that promised us 5E rules but gave us MMO garbage....and lots of NPC banter and emphasized plot?

We're still talking about ToEE. Mods are still being maintained. How has Sword Coast Legends fared? This team looks like they have a legitimate chance of giving us faithfully adapted 5E D&D. You want to distract this opportunity with bullshit NPC dialogue? I enjoy a great story, but that's obvious not this game's strength. This isn't the moment you should be choosing to storyfag.

Jesus Christ, party banter is only a $10,000 stretch goal, it’s not gonna suddenly make this a character-focused, dialogue driven game. They’ll record a bunch of barks. That’s it.

They’ve already done a good job of implementing the four core classes. If anything, adding more classes and backgrounds is what would force them to spend a lot more time on dialogue. Solasta’s conversation system, IIRC, uses each character’s race, class and background to come up with unique lines. Each new background, each new class, each new race forces them to write more dialogue. And it compounds. So now they have five classes with Paladin, and the next stretch goal is a new background that they’ll have to apply across five different classes.

Really, though, they’ve built a very solid implementation and they’ve shown that they know how to design good encounters and good dungeons. There are plenty of things that could derail this project, but I doubt the modest stretch goals will pose a problem.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Jesus Christ, party banter is only a $10,000 stretch goal, it’s not gonna suddenly make this a character-focused, dialogue driven game. They’ll record a bunch of barks. That’s it.

They’ve already done a good job of implementing the four core classes. If anything, adding more classes and backgrounds is what would force them to spend a lot more time on dialogue. Solasta’s conversation system, IIRC, uses each character’s race, class and background to come up with unique lines. Each new background, each new class, each new race forces them to write more dialogue. And it compounds. So now they have five classes with Paladin, and the next stretch goal is a new background that they’ll have to apply across five different classes.

Really, though, they’ve built a very solid implementation and they’ve shown that they know how to design good encounters and good dungeons. There are plenty of things that could derail this project, but I doubt the modest stretch goals will pose a problem.
Overreacting is what Codex does. If you get upset by it every time all you will do is shorten your own life :)

Codex Year of the Donut

D&D is the call of duty of PnP RPGs, why should I care about a faithful adaptation of a mediocre game?
It's not like we're talking about Rolemaster or RQ or something.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fourth stretch goal looks like it's the Ranger class: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister/posts/2635883

Lawkeeper Background Unlocked! Stretch Goal #3 Revealed!

Hey there you fine folks!

The first stretch goal has been reached, the Lawkeeper Background is now unlocked - and with it, a new stretch goal is now revealed!

ce5d5ce9d90d9bf27e696b2208e74dc9_original.png

Stretch Goals will be gradually revealed as we reach them

Stretch Goal #3 - Community Voice Actor: Cohh Carnage!
That's right, Cohh Carnage will join us as a Guest Voice Actor! Cohh has always been a huge RPG fan and he's agreed to lend us a hand for the project!

Keep an ear out when exploring the World of Solasta, you might hear his voice somewhere during your travels. Will it be around a campfire? In a busy tavern will swapping tales with strangers? In the high spheres of nobility? That will be for you to discover.

Stretch Goal #4 - A familiar Face?
You'll know soon enough!

c2b6c1ca5f261cd5c1569ac3f6631073_original.png

If you missed our "Ask us Anything" on Reddit,go give it a read there! There were plenty of good questions (and a couple of spoon-related ones), so you might find a few answers that you didn't hear before.

Today's featured fan art is from R0GUE, who's bringing us a bad-ass Vigdis!

f3bb9eb118c6d491392430b9d3329a90_original.jpg

We've also just reached another Social Reward! Before the game's launch, we will release a Short Story Prequel to the main campaign, available for everyone to read!

Next Goal: Adding the four Archetypes available in the Pre-Alpha Demo in the Homebrew Section of D&D Beyond!

b591b6fd8071abcb55d541c10b61307c_original.png

purpleblob

Savant
You can see the image of a dwarf with a bow as a next stretch goal - called it that new class will be ranger.

Hamlet

Novice
Some of the bard's abilities would be tricky to implement, though doable in turn-based. I'm not sure if they'll tackle the class, really. 'Cutting Words' is in the SRD, it's one of the monsters of die manipulation mechanics in the game. Would they risk a pop-up on all the subset of rolls that a bardic inspiration die, which scales with level, could effect? It can effect saves, ability checks, and damage rolls.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Some of the bard's abilities would be tricky to implement, though doable in turn-based. I'm not sure if they'll tackle the class, really. 'Cutting Words' is in the SRD, it's one of the monsters of die manipulation mechanics in the game. Would they risk a pop-up on all the subset of rolls that a bardic inspiration die, which scales with level, could effect? It can effect saves, ability checks, and damage rolls.

They seem to love timed pop-ups, so I think they would. Enemy attacks, you get a pop up showing their unmodifed attack and damage rolls, you get thirty seconds to decide if you want to use cutting words on either. Same for when enemy makes a save or an ability check.

Hamlet

Novice
I hate to say it, but with stretch goals like these, I wouldn't expect pledges to flood in. I mean, I'm not sure I care about raising 6K to nab a voice-over from some you-tube personality. What are they even thinking, here?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
I hate to say it, but with stretch goals like these, I wouldn't expect pledges to flood in. I mean, I'm not sure I care about raising 6K to nab a voice-over from some you-tube personality. What are they even thinking, here?

They’re thinking they want the stretch goals to cost LESS than the money they help raise. Plus, Cohh will surely promote the shit out of that so his fans contribute.

Hamlet

Novice
I can't find a single video, by cohhcarnage, concerning Solasta but alright.

Stretch Goal #3 - Community Voice Actor: Cohh Carnage!
That's right, Cohh Carnage will join us as a Guest Voice Actor! Cohh has always been a huge RPG fan and he's agreed to lend us a hand for the project!

Keep an ear out when exploring the World of Solasta, you might hear his voice somewhere during your travels. Will it be around a campfire? In a busy tavern will swapping tales with strangers? In the high spheres of nobility? That will be for you to discover.

Now this is just insulting

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I can't tell if I'm being memed. Why would the promise of party banter induce further investment? I'd pay for developers to remove party banter. That shit is pure decline.

Elex

Arbiter

They’re thinking they want the stretch goals to cost LESS than the money they help raise. Plus, Cohh will surely promote the shit out of that so his fans contribute.
i mean yes, cohh cost less than the critical role cast.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The demo itself was fun enough, and I liked the first stretch goal. The other ones are a big "meh", though. That doesn't make me want to cancel my pledge.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Cohh Carnage is only big twitch streamer that played, promoted and defended PF:KM. He even said that a bug free version of the game would be his goty of 2018.
So give him a bit of slack.
And if that is not enough, he did something similar with ELEX.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom