Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Songs of Conquest - HOMM2-inspired turn-based strategy adventure game

Anomander

Scholar
You are talking about campaings, which are obviously overplanned with different triggers and so on. Also you cannot really max out your wielder. They are also too short.
Try playing some skirmish on XL map (disable some players, and you can have half of a map for yourself). That's what about this game is. You don't need to rush anything. You can max your hero before you even encounter another player.
Also for magic there is a magic resistance skill. So damage dealing magic can be reduced, but there are better spells (another turn for an unit, berserk, etc). Magic is probably better than might skills, but the same was always true for HoMM.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Magic is probably better than might skills, but the same was always true for HoMM.
issue is that magic works different. Imagine that in HoMM you could wipe neutral stack without casualties by spamming magic. While fighting few units per turn.

It brakes whole premise of battle of attrition. But then its not that big of a change to fix, its matter of balancing.

Anomander

Scholar
issue is that magic works different. Imagine that in HoMM you could wipe neutral stack without casualties by spamming magic. While fighting few units per turn.
in Homm5 Dungeon hero could take the whole army with his spells only. For maxed heroes mana was never a problem and spell power was overwhelming.
But it is true that here you can cast mulitple spells per turn (and if you have artefacts and/or some towers on map then getting max level spells in first turn is not a problem).

Sweeper

Arcane
They balanced all the fun out of the game. It's like, all HoMM 3 needed was a new coat of paint, and then you get dumbfuck devs who think they'll reinvent the wheel and make it better.
Hubris. Pure hubris.

Johannes

Arcane
They balanced all the fun out of the game. It's like, all HoMM 3 needed was a new coat of paint, and then you get dumbfuck devs who think they'll reinvent the wheel and make it better.
Hubris. Pure hubris.
Making just a 1:1 copy would be dumbfucked. If you want to play HoMM 3, it doesn't need a new coat of paint.

Many of the new mechanics in this game are fun, but... Not very well balanced

Sweeper

Arcane
Not very well balanced
In comparison to Heroes 3 it's all way too balanced, and therefor boring.
I don't want to shit on the game too hard cause more Heroes clones is a good thing, but until they implement a magic system that allows me to use a spell to zip across the world map Songs is going to remain dogshit.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Tough luck then, since strategic spells is another thing that successfully avoided being in the game. Then again, we learn itt that people don't care for basic features or even don't like them, so maybe they were onto something.
Making just a 1:1 copy would be dumbfucked.
Ehhh... this claim is strongly contested. There are lots of people that still crave for more homm3 content, if you'd add decent modern production values on top, asked Romero to compose a tune or two, made sure it doesn't look like a joke content-wise etc. you'd definitely have a commercially viable product. Generally though, there were way too few actual homm clones to really successfully gauge what would or wouldn't work.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I for one never liked world map spells, it felt like they are invalidating certain scout skills etc.
My hate probably started due to summon boat spell in homm2

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Scouting brings most value early game, but generally isn't all that good anyways apart from certain multiplyer templates.
Homm2 also had the most fun strategic spell in the series, haunt mine. But its existence was only possible due to utter disregard for muh balance and fun being allowed, obviously.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
I can see the quality of design in the game but I still can't get comfortable with the art style.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tough luck then, since strategic spells is another thing that successfully avoided being in the game. Then again, we learn itt that people don't care for basic features or even don't like them, so maybe they were onto something.
Making just a 1:1 copy would be dumbfucked.
Ehhh... this claim is strongly contested. There are lots of people that still crave for more homm3 content, if you'd add decent modern production values on top, asked Romero to compose a tune or two, made sure it doesn't look like a joke content-wise etc. you'd definitely have a commercially viable product. Generally though, there were way too few actual homm clones to really successfully gauge what would or wouldn't work.
That would be madness. You cannot match the content of HoMM3 if you are indie. Making a game and hoping it develops a modding scene big enough to challenge the content made for HoMM 3 would be a fool errand. The only way for it to work would be an HOMM3 "HD edition" or whatever made by whoever holds the licence, that could reuse the same content files directly.

ADL

Prophet
Provided the DLC is fun and worthwhile, I'll buy anything additional they put out for this game. They've earned that goodwill.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom